• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksol

Today I had to brush up on "The Lexical Functions of Modal Auxiliary Verbs" for one of my students.

I really feel for anyone who has to learn English.

gaf

i'm usually doing kanji study or trying to read japanese news websites or whatever, which is not technically in my job description, but fuck it. are you a placement teacher?

you have a computer you can use?! wtf, yeah I've gaijin smashed my way on eating mints in the school room and diet coke and wearing strange sweaters and bowties, I guess I'll just push it little by little and see how far i can get, there is no way 8 hours today I can last. dreading leaving....

you have a computer you can use?! wtf, yeah I've gaijin smashed my way on eating mints in the school room and diet coke and wearing strange sweaters and bowties, I guess I'll just push it little by little and see how far i can get, there is no way 8 hours today I can last. dreading leaving....

I've brought my own computer to work since the first day and everyone just assumes I have BoE approval for it. Which I never did formally seek out, but whatever. We all do it here. I have one school I work at where one's provided for me at my desk but it has a PENTIUM INSIDE! sticker on it and is as slow as the devil.

I mostly check gaf and watch sports score updates, but I thankfully teach four classes a day on average, plus participate in club activities, so I don't have a huge amount of free time in the office.

Dang Interac is pretty aggressive I guess. I half filled out an application last week and forgot/decided to wait a bit more before submitting it, and they straight up called me this afternoon lol.

Part of me is like " this is great, they are proactive" other part is "damn they were watching even incomplete applications like that!?" I'm sure if I call back they will try and give me the we are amazing, don't wait for jet speech. Might finish the application soon just to have it floating around if nothing else.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How do these programs respond with people with Engineering Degrees?

Specifically, I have two and a half years of working as a professional tutor at a college + additional side references during that time.

And I'm getting closer to finishing my degree for ChemE and considering doing this for a year. I know it's not the typical Liberal Arts or English.

Jintor

I brought my own laptop, yeah. And my own internet connection, made sure I got a tethering enabled 3g contract. The main downside is I can't get on the intranet and print stuff, so I have to email myself stuff and use the communal computer. But that's fine really.

Arksy

So what opportunities currently exist for an Aussie law grad with a bunch of language skills (Eng: Native, Turkish: Fluent, French: Advanced, Mandarin: Basic conversational) under his belt in any Asian country? Where would we go to sign up at the moment if you were looking to begin right away? Probably more specifically focusing on China because I have some working knowledge of Mandarin, although I don't mind too much.

numble

So what opportunities currently exist for an Aussie law grad with a bunch of language skills (Eng: Native, Turkish: Fluent, French: Advanced, Mandarin: Basic conversational) under his belt in any Asian country? Where would we go to sign up at the moment if you were looking to begin right away? Probably more specifically focusing on China because I have some working knowledge of Mandarin, although I don't mind too much.

I think there is some higher paying market for "legal english" in the big cities, but I don't know if the demand is big enough for their to be companies offering this service or if you need to get a normal english gig and find tutoring jobs on the side. People that are Chinese lawyers or law students wanting to study law in the US or to get a leg up in their jobs, I guess. I was approached to tutor someone for a pretty nice sum when I was a law student on an exchange program in Beijing.

I also know that Peking University has this formal program for law grads to teach Legal English in Shenzhen, from personal knowledge, I know some former people in this program have gone on to high-paying six-figure big law jobs:
http://stl.pku.edu.cn/faculty/c-v-starr-lecturers/

In 2008, Peking University, China’s oldest and most distinguished university, opened the first law school to offer a J.D. program in mainland China. The program closely follows the model of J.D. education in the United States, focusing on American law, but within a transnational perspective. The Peking University School of Transnational Law (STL) is located on the University’s graduate and professional campus in Shenzhen, which is adjacent to Hong Kong. Shenzhen is a vibrant, modern international city of fifteen million people. Enrollment at STL is very small compared to law schools in the United States – there are about 90 students in each class. Virtually all students are native speakers of Chinese, who speak English as a second language. Admission is highly selective based on prior academic performance, scores on a national qualifying examination and the LSAT, and a rigorous interview. The quality of the student body is comparable to that at the most selective law schools in the United States. Instruction is entirely in English.

For 2015-16, STL will appoint eight C.V. Starr Lecturers (CVSLs) in the Transnational Legal Practice Program. The program provides first-year and second-year students with intensive instruction in legal analysis, legal research and writing, and other professional and legal skills necessary for the practice of law in a global environment. The Starr Lecturers work with students in small classes of about 12 to develop written and oral skills. Some of the teaching is independent with coordinated lesson plan development and preparation within the CVSL group; some is in conjunction with a supervising member of the permanent faculty. In the current academic year the school will be reviewing possible plans for 2015-16 to move toward closer integration with the first year substantial courses and collaboration with the permanent faculty teaching those courses. The CVSLs are considered to be part of the faculty of STL and play a fully integrated, active role in the intellectual life of the law school. The appointments are for one year with the possibility of extension.

To be considered, a candidate for this position must hold a J.D. degree (or expect graduation in this academic year) and have native fluency in English. Candidates should be responsible, enthusiastic, hard working, and adventurous. Ability to speak Mandarin is useful for living in Shenzhen, but not necessary for the program.

CVSLs will be expected to arrive in Shenzhen on or about August 1 (pending final calendar decisions), and be in residence throughout the academic year until about the end of June 2016 (with an approximate one month break around the lunar new year). Fellows will receive a private room with bath in the student and faculty campus housing complex (a five minute walk from the law school building), comprehensive medical insurance including emergency medical evacuation, roundtrip transportation from the United States or other country of origin, and a stipend in RMB equivalent to US$2000 per month. While this is a modest amount by United States standards, given the cost of living in China prior CVSLs have found it to be sufficient to cover board, incidental living expenses and some travel in and around China during school breaks.

I guess you can always try to supplement the income by doing side tutoring jobs.

I have some contact info for applications to this program, they usually accept applications in September each year.

Out of curiosity, have any of you managed to listen to music when correcting papers? There is this weird atmosphere that headphones would be instant fired where I work at.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Has anyone heard of Gone2Korea? I just applied with them.

Also wondering about AEON and Interac, for teaching in Japan.

Actually, any program recommendations/reviews for older students (7-12) would be great. I know there's a list in the OP but I'd really like some anecdotal experiences.

numble

Someone I know in Beijing is looking to help hire a male, native American English speaking teacher for a Chinese celebrity. The pay is 30,000 RMB/month and includes meals (if he travels, transportation and accommodation are provided).

One type of alternative english-teaching opportunity that people might consider and maybe is plentiful with celebrities wanting to break into the West.

max.renn

Neo Member
Working at my retail job today ran into a girl who is about to leave for Japan to teach for Nova. I just graduated with a degree in English Lit, and have been kicking around the possibility of teaching abroad, but from everyone I have talked to it seems that programs in Japan are quite challenging to land. Is Nova an easier route than JET or Interac?

Porcile

Working at my retail job today ran into a girl who is about to leave for Japan to teach for Nova. I just graduated with a degree in English Lit, and have been kicking around the possibility of teaching abroad, but from everyone I have talked to it seems that programs in Japan are quite challenging to land. Is Nova an easier route than JET or Interac?

You should at least give JET a try as well as Interac. JET is considered the 'best' program, followed by Interac. Maybe apply to both. What have you got to lose? Actually, don't apply to Interac because you might show me up :)

max.renn

Neo Member
Any recommendations for TEFL certificate? Does online vs in-class make much of a difference? I have been kinda overwhelmed looking at all the different online options.

You should at least give JET a try as well as Interac. JET is considered the 'best' program, followed by Interac. Maybe apply to both. What have you got to lose? Actually, don't apply to Interac because you might show me up :)

lol, thx. You applying this year?

lupinko

Any JapanGAF or JETGAF know of any summer schools for Japanese study? I'm considering it since I get paid study leave although I have to foot accommodations and tuition myself.

The prospect of teaching English in Japan (or China, Korea, etc.) has always peaked my interest. As of right now I'm ~1 year left in graduating with a Computer Information Systems degree, and while I'm sure I'll be qualified to work at standard IT (starting from helpdesk), I still believe that being in Japan and working there would be better for me.

So recently I've been looking online at multiple programs such as JET, Nova, Interac, and I'm wondering which one to choose/aim for, or should I just apply for all of them and hope something hits? How to apply in the first place (ie. submit online or go to an office (specifically for Nova there are no offices listed in California, where I live, on their website))? How hard is it to get accepted into one of these programs?

Aside from being a CIS major, some related skills (I guess) is that I took three courses in learning Japanese (though I'm rusty as hell) for my graduation requirement, I'm competent in English, and the fact that I've lived on a military base in Japan when I was a kid (specifically for JET it states that applicants must not have lived in Japan for 6 or more years since 2005, does that still apply if I was on a military base?); I've no misconceptions on Japanese life being all about anime/manga (though I'm a fan of).

vern

The prospect of teaching English in Japan (or China, Korea, etc.) has always peaked my interest. As of right now I'm ~1 year left in graduating with a Computer Information Systems degree, and while I'm sure I'll be qualified to work at standard IT (starting from helpdesk), I still believe that being in Japan and working there would be better for me.

So recently I've been looking online at multiple programs such as JET, Nova, Interac, and I'm wondering which one to choose/aim for, or should I just apply for all of them and hope something hits? How to apply in the first place (ie. submit online or go to an office (specifically for Nova there are no offices listed in California, where I live, on their website))? How hard is it to get accepted into one of these programs?

Aside from being a CIS major, some related skills (I guess) is that I took three courses in learning Japanese (though I'm rusty as hell) for my graduation requirement, I'm competent in English, and the fact that I've lived on a military base in Japan when I was a kid (specifically for JET it states that applicants must not have lived in Japan for 6 or more years since 2005, does that still apply if I was on a military base?); I've no misconceptions on Japanese life being all about anime/manga (though I'm a fan of).

I don't know anything about teaching in Japan, but it's "piqued" not "peaked." Git good at English before you teach it. A lot of incompetent dudes running around Asia "teaching" English. Not saying you are, just saying...

Jaffaboy

I don't know anything about teaching in Japan, but it's "piqued" not "peaked." Git good at English before you teach it. A lot of incompetent dudes running around Asia "teaching" English. Not saying you are, just saying...

Yeah, cool mate, you showed him.

The majority of English teaching jobs don't require a superior knowledge of grammar and spelling, they require the ability to have a conversation, ask the right questions, and have the sensitivity and patience the students deserve for an effective language learning environment. Not to mention the drive and desire to live in another country and experience another culture. Whether you can identify the spelling of an obscure word, or explain grammar rules is definitely advantageous but it's not required, and definitely not preferred over being an antisocial dickhead. We have dictionaries and grammar text books for a reason.

I got corrected on the spelling of "souvenir" by a 13 year old Korean boy once. Does that make me a bad English teacher? I don't think so.

Laieon

Yeah, cool mate, you showed him.

The majority of English teaching jobs don't require a superior knowledge of grammar and spelling, they require the ability to have a conversation, ask the right questions, and have the sensitivity and patience the students deserve for an effective language learning environment. Not to mention the drive and desire to live in another country and experience another culture. Whether you can identify the spelling of an obscure word, or explain grammar rules is definitely advantageous but it's not required, and definitely not preferred over being an antisocial dickhead. We have dictionaries and grammar text books for a reason.

I got corrected on the spelling of "souvenir" by a 13 year old Korean boy once. Does that make me a bad English teacher? I don't think so.

This is relevant.

Nova is really easy to get into, provided you are not covered in tattoos and piercings or have the social skills of a vegetable. Bear in mind new teachers don't get paid much and under the new system you work as a contractor which means you pay the company to use their facilities and textbooks and you will have to organise with other teachers for shift swaps if you want holidays. I think Gaba may be the same. Not sure how other eikaiwa schools function but it didn't sound very appealing when I was told about it.

Porcile

A lot of English teaching in Asia is teaching with a small "t". You don't need to be a god of grammar to be helpful and engaging for someone in a classroom. Besides, why would you even want to try and be a grammar god when 99% of the people you will teach in Asia will barely even be able to reach 1/10th of that level.

Anyway, I'm getting close to starting up my application. Do Interac really want a TWO PAGE CV/resume alongside a personal statement? I've never encountered a company who actually wants more than one.

Jaffaboy

Yeah, I've seen this. Proof that TOEIC is one of the most redundant things ever. Whoopdeedoo, you got a 980 but can't respond to the question 'How are you?'. What a massive waste of time and effort mastering the patterns of a language that you can't speak better than a three year old. What practical use does this have? The absolute neglect to practice speaking English in Asia (Japan and Korea in my experience) is an abomination.

I dream to one day set up my own school; to teach English to people who want to learn the language as a practical skill, not because they want to ace an irrelevant test. The desire to learn English is so strong here, and the pressure kids have on them to learn it is over the maximum, and in the end it amounts to so very little with what's currently happening, it's really fucking sad.

Uhhh, okay? Though I'm not sure you're particularly the right candidate for pointing out flaws on my message-board spelling considering

Git good at English before you teach it.

But seriously, I listed out much relevant questions within the second paragraph of my post and you decide to point out a spelling mistake, alright guy.

In addition to my previous questions I've been wondering if race will be an issue in employment and/or living in the country. I'm asian and tanned, and though my childhood experience in Japan I never encountered racism whenever I ventured outside the military base with the family, I'm aware that many factors might have contributed to me not experiencing racism back then.

Continue looking at the finer "opinions" of the company's/programs and decide which suit what you would rather do honestly. No point in getting a job you know you will be miserable at. I do recommend applying to multiple ones though, it is a job, like any other job hunt don't just stop at one try.

Good thing about applying to JET is also the worst part, they leave you with months of time between contacting you to apply to other companies and even get confirmed. What I would do after you figure out which companies appeal to you, apply to those as well as JET. JET's application opens in fall for a month, takes about 3-4 months for them to accept you to an interview or reject, then about 2-3 more for them to offer a position. Yeah... plenty of time to apply to other companies most of which have a vastly faster turn around on information and offering positions. That way if say JET is your #1, and its looking like you did not get in, boom you have several other chances to say yes/ say yes to one while waiting to see if JET shafts you or not.

As for applications, yes most of them are online or online and you mail them out. Some might have offices and if you are near by will ask for you to visit. As for difficulty of entry... it depends. They are all competitive obviously, but if you can have a decent interview and fill the criteria/fake it enough to get in you're golden. Anyone there or applying can tell you there are a ton of people who get accepted or to the interview stage that really REALLY should not be there haha.

Finally addressing the last paragraph. 99% of that they don't give two craps about. Most companies do not want their foreign import teachers speaking Japanese at all at work, obviously that will make things easier, and it's an invaluable skill for when outside the job, but most official stances are don't use Japanese. Most companies know a lot of people only know Japanese from classes or not at all and have little to no practical skills. It's usually a "oh thats nice" section on applications.

Not sure about the military base thing. Would assume it does not count but who knows. Did you live there more than 6 years after 2005? if so send them an email and get an answer.

And the anime/manga land thing, once again, they don't care. Long as you don't throw in random Japanese like "kawaii~" in your sentences for no damn reason, aka "one of those people" you should be fine. These companies know what's out there globally and don't care if you are or are not into that stuff.

In addition to my previous questions I've been wondering if race will be an issue in employment and/or living in the country. I'm asian and tanned, and though my childhood experience in Japan I never encountered racism whenever I ventured outside the military base with the family, I'm aware that many factors might have contributed to me not experiencing racism back then.

In terms of getting the job, no, their official stance is race is not a factor though a good majority of English teachers in Asia are in fact white. That is partly out of social reasons over who can be accepted. For example, in my Jet interview, one of my interviewers was a black female who worked the program for 3 years and I myself was placed as an Alternate and I'm black (mostly). As for living in the country, eh who knows. Shit happens randomly, most people say they have 0 problems. A good number of Japanese people are fairly tanned anyway despite what generic media likes to portray lol, especially the kids from what I see. You might get ignored entirely because they have no idea depending how you look/carry yourself. Very much a multi shaded and looking people, which can vary more by region obviously. You might get assigned a place where every foreigner they meet is considered to be the most awesome person ever and all the free drinks, women, and video games you can handle! or you might get plopped into a place where the last foreigner there punched an elderly nun the face then went of a drug fueled party binge offending everyone in sight so they hate everyone not from the town.

vern

Yeah, cool mate, you showed him

I corrected him in a lighthearted way, no need for the butthurt. Even said that my point may not apply to him.

Uhhh, okay? Though I'm not sure you're particularly the right candidate for pointing out flaws on my message-board spelling considering

But seriously, I listed out much relevant questions within the second paragraph of my post and you decide to point out a spelling mistake, alright guy.

Chill bro, I said I can't answer your questions. Git good was a joke. The point was that there are lots of morons out here teaching English and they are unqualified and don't give a shit. They are just here for fun and to earn some money but are unqualified for the job or any other job really. I am not a teacher, but I live in China and run across these guys all the time. Don't be one of them.

Jaffaboy

I corrected him in a lighthearted way, no need for the butthurt. Even said that my point may not apply to him.

Chill bro, I said I can't answer your questions. Git good was a joke. The point was that there are lots of morons out here teaching English and they are unqualified and don't give a shit. They are just here for fun and to earn some money but are unqualified for the job or any other job really. I am not a teacher, but I live in China and run across these guys all the time. Don't be one of them.

So you don't even know this guy and the only thing you have to say to him is work on your English and don't be one of those dudes 'running around Asia'. Only lighthearted banter, lad. Come on now.

vern

So you don't even know this guy and the only thing you have to say to him is work on your English and don't be one of those dudes 'running around Asia'. Only lighthearted banter, lad. Come on now.

Next time I'll add an ;) if that makes you feel better, I thought the post was clearly tongue-in-cheek. It wouldn't hurt to know the correct word though, would it?

Jintor

i don't have any words to convey effectively how infinitely worthless you feel sitting in a staff room all day because you've been assigned no classes from now into infinity

and then when you are assigned classes they're all cancelled from under you

thank god 夏休み is in like two weeks... I need a reset

Guru-Guru

Banned
He isn't an English teacher, doesn't offer the guy any advice (as he knows nothing about teaching in Japan), and instead acts like an asshole. Why is he even in this thread?

vern

He isn't an English teacher, doesn't offer the guy any advice (as he knows nothing about teaching in Japan), and instead acts like an asshole. Why is he even in this thread?

I live in Asia.

Do know about teaching in Asia.

This is a discussion board.

Didn't act like an asshole (debatable apparently).

Dude mentioned teaching in China also "piqued" his interest. If he asked specific question about China I would have been happy to help, and have offered advice in the past to others.

I didn't know you were in charge of who could post here, I'll hit you up with a PM before my next post.

Guru-Guru

Banned
i don't have any words to convey effectively how infinitely worthless you feel sitting in a staff room all day because you've been assigned no classes from now into infinity

I remember the 1st day I had no classes and thought it would be amazing...A couple days later I was dying to be actually working again. I feel you man!

Jintor

a day without classes is fine if you have something to prep for... an infinity without classes is blergh. you feel like shit, teachers are coming and going, you barely feel like you're making a difference as is (this may vary) and then you're not even going to classes...! god

and there's only so much japanese you can study in a day before your brain fries

a day without classes is fine if you have something to prep for... an infinity without classes is blergh. you feel like shit, teachers are coming and going, you barely feel like you're making a difference as is (this may vary) and then you're not even going to classes...! god

and there's only so much japanese you can study in a day before your brain fries

hang in there man, always sucks to be at work and given nothing to do no matter what job. From what I hear it's not exclusive to foreigners and happens to people in all kinds of jobs in Japan. Hopefully it passes sooner than later.

WoodWERD

I am just going to ask this here and hopefully someone will help a soul in need.

As some of you may know, I live in Venezuela. I am an English/French/Spanish teacher who happen to have a master in Educational Reasearch and a doctorate degree. Do I stand a chance in working in any of these countries? It happens that I'm desperate to leave this shitty country since...well...there's a LOT of reasons (and I DO MEAN A LOT).

If someone can help me I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

If you're coming from a country where English isn't the native language, you're going to face more hurdles. I'm not speaking from personal experience, this is just what I've picked up on from scouring ESL forums/blogs over the years. But with your credentials I think you should at least reach out to some international schools (maybe ones with connections/roots in South America) in countries you're interested in and see what kind of responses you get. You're at the top of the ladder as far as qualifications go.

Hop on ESL forums like Dave's and start doing some reading. Then look at the job ads in different countries to get an idea of what they're looking for. I'm sure you'll find some info that will be of use for your situation. Hope that helps!

I sometimes feel like I wouldn't mind this. I like my job a lot, but two days into the week and I've already solo taught 8 classes. I've never had a class cancelled--if it's a half day or something, they will move EVERYTHING to make sure i teach my class. But I guess that may be normal for elementary teachers. The high school teachers in this city will often not even hit 8 classes in a week...

I'm sure it feels bad, but I've only left my city of nothing but 50,000 old people and children under 16...four times in the year I've been here because I simply haven't the time to plan trips and stuff. Those four times were for prefectural meetings and moseying to the prefectural DMV to try to get my license. I haven't requested any nenkyuu for summer vacation yet and have no idea what I'm going to do. I intended to maybe go home but this drivers license business is taxing my cash and creeping into summer vacation already, but it can't be helped. My schools on Monday and Tuesday are an hour drive each way.

mujun

I remember that hell!

Hang in there.

White_sox

What's up teaching Gaf? My story is probably different from many others. In 2013, I was considering going overseas to teach English, but I felt I was way too young to consider such a move. Instead, I decided I would go back to school to get my teaching license, which I just completed in May. Fast forward to today and I still can't find a job. Now I'm seriously considering going to S. Korea for a year. I really enjoy working with children, and the idea of living in Asia (for a short-period of time) sounds great. Apparently it is also pretty easy to save a couple thousand over there - assuming you don't get drunk every night.
No promises.

I'm currently trying to decide what is better for my life, both now and in the future. I could continue substitute teaching which is easy, but pays poorly, and hope to find a job in the middle of the school year. On the other hand, I could go to S. Korea for a year - find a challenging career, add something unique to my resume, and live a life that would probably change me as a person.

I've done A LOT of research and read a lot of personal stories. I've also read some horror stories (people getting fired, schools running out of money, people getting sued) that have made me seriously consider how stable this would be. I understand that it's probably just sensationalism, and that I'm naturally going to see more of the "I'm getting fucked over here" instead of success stories. I do see a lot of people going back after a year of doing it, so it can't be all bad, right?

So, yeah, here I am. Mulling over 100s of different scenarios in my head. I just sent away for an FBI background check, and I received an email from Korvia requesting an interview this Wednesday. So much to think about...

Anyways, for those teaching in Korea, where is the place to be? Seoul seems to be the most desirable destination for placement. I'm not sure if it is just people looking for a fun nightlife and other Americans or if it's genuinely the best place to be.

Jaffaboy

What's up teaching Gaf? My story is probably different from many others. In 2013, I was considering going overseas to teach English, but I felt I was way too young to consider such a move. Instead, I decided I would go back to school to get my teaching license, which I just completed in May. Fast forward to today and I still can't find a job. Now I'm seriously considering going to S. Korea for a year. I really enjoy working with children, and the idea of living in Asia (for a short-period of time) sounds great. Apparently it is also pretty easy to save a couple thousand over there - assuming you don't get drunk every night.
No promises.

I'm currently trying to decide what is better for my life, both now and in the future. I could continue substitute teaching which is easy, but pays poorly, and hope to find a job in the middle of the school year. On the other hand, I could go to S. Korea for a year - find a challenging career, add something unique to my resume, and live a life that would probably change me as a person.

I've done A LOT of research and read a lot of personal stories. I've also read some horror stories (people getting fired, schools running out of money, people getting sued) that have made me seriously consider how stable this would be. I understand that it's probably just sensationalism, and that I'm naturally going to see more of the "I'm getting fucked over here" instead of success stories. I do see a lot of people going back after a year of doing it, so it can't be all bad, right?

So, yeah, here I am. Mulling over 100s of different scenarios in my head. I just sent away for an FBI background check, and I received an email from Korvia requesting an interview this Wednesday. So much to think about...

Anyways, for those teaching in Korea, where is the place to be? Seoul seems to be the most desirable destination for placement. I'm not sure if it is just people looking for a fun nightlife and other Americans or if it's genuinely the best place to be.

Do it. This is also a good time to apply for EPIK to be considered for February's intake. You don't need to necessarily be in Seoul to have a great time there, but it definitely helps if you're in a major city like Busan, Ulsan, Daegu, Daejeon etc. You can easily visit Seoul too with the KTX high speed train.

You're only gonna read horror stories online because people only post bad stuff. Nobody really writes about what a great time they're having. I will say though, it's kinda a lottery whether you're in a hagwon or public school, but whether you have an amazing school and colleagues, or one that's less desirable, it'll still be invaluable life experience. I absolutely loved Korea and I'm considering going back in a couple of years, even though I had some pretty trying times there.

White_sox

Do it. This is also a good time to apply for EPIK to be considered for February's intake. You don't need to necessarily be in Seoul to have a great time there, but it definitely helps if you're in a major city like Busan, Ulsan, Daegu, Daejeon etc. You can easily visit Seoul too with the KTX high speed train.

You're only gonna read horror stories online because people only post bad stuff. Nobody really writes about what a great time they're having. I will say though, it's kinda a lottery whether you're in a hagwon or public school, but whether you have an amazing school and colleagues, or one that's less desirable, it'll still be invaluable life experience. I absolutely loved Korea and I'm considering going back in a couple of years, even though I had some pretty trying times there.

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. Whenever I think about going I always get really excited about it. I also don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to do it again, so now seems like the perfect time to go through with it.

The one part of your post that discouraged me was the time frame. Ideally, I'd love to get in this fall. Do you think that is still possible?

I'm going to be pretty adamant about being placed in an urban area when I talk to the recruiter tomorrow. I've read that Itaewon is ideal.

Jaffaboy

Thanks for the encouragement! I really appreciate it. Whenever I think about going I always get really excited about it. I also don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity to do it again, so now seems like the perfect time to go through with it.

The one part of your post that discouraged me was the time frame. Ideally, I'd love to get in this fall. Do you think that is still possible?

I'm going to be pretty adamant about being placed in an urban area when I talk to the recruiter tomorrow. I've read that Itaewon is ideal.

No worries! It's possible to get in at any time of year, the only problem is getting all your visa documents in order quickly as it's such a long, ridiculous process. You'd be able to get somewhere in fall for sure, but it depends on where you want to teach. If you're looking for an assistant teaching position it might be a little harder as EPIK places fill up insanely fast, but there are other routes into those jobs, I'm just not sure what they are off the top of my head. Hagwon contracts run all year round and are plentiful but you gotta make sure they're a credible school really.

Itaewon is a great place for hanging out at bars and restaurants but it's not necessary to live there. It's a bit scummy and rife with prostitutes. I agree that you wanna get into an urban area, although I had friends in a more rural area next to my city that had a fantastic foreigner community, and they lived close enough to the city to go there most nights so it's not the end of the world if you don't.

White_sox

No worries! It's possible to get in at any time of year, the only problem is getting all your visa documents in order quickly as it's such a long, ridiculous process. You'd be able to get somewhere in fall for sure, but it depends on where you want to teach. If you're looking for an assistant teaching position it might be a little harder as EPIK places fill up insanely fast, but there are other routes into those jobs, I'm just not sure what they are off the top of my head. Hagwon contracts run all year round and are plentiful but you gotta make sure they're a credible school really.

Itaewon is a great place for hanging out at bars and restaurants but it's not necessary to live there. It's a bit scummy and rife with prostitutes. I agree that you wanna get into an urban area, although I had friends in a more rural area next to my city that had a fantastic foreigner community, and they lived close enough to the city to go there most nights so it's not the end of the world if you don't.

When doing my initial research, I thought a hagwon would be the best. I would prefer to work alone, create my own lessons, and having smaller class sizes seems ideal. From what I understand, they also employ more English teachers than your typical public school. Like you said, there seems to be a lot of suspect schools with problems galore.

How long did it take you to get your background check back? I read that it can take up to 4 months, which seems insane.

White_sox

Last time I checked the FBI background check was backed up due to a new computer system. They stated something like 12 weeks.

I just went to the website and it mentioned at the top that the new system was installed last September. Hopefully the wait time is starting to shrink.

decaf

Any ex-JETs here who applied to JET a second time? I'm thinking of doing so this year and after any top tips for the application.

Scarecrow

So, how long has it taken some of you to get the basics of learning a new language? I've been studying some Vietnamese in prep for my trip to Hanoi. Even though I understand Hanoi is pretty easy to get around with only English, I want to do a better job of getting into the culture than I did in China.

Porcile

Can anyone who has done the Interac application tell me roughly when abouts in the application process they get in contact with references? Is it before the phone interview or after?

I'm doing my application but thinking of delaying sending it off until the end of summer so that my references are more likely to be around, and not on holiday in the Bahamas or something equally selfish, like taking time-off. Would give me more time to make sure my application is super polished too.

It'll have been a full year next Friday. It's amazing how little I care about what I'm seen doing at my school anymore. Perhaps that's only because my base school is an elementary school, rather than a middle or high school where they might be more insistent on proper form, but meh. I just spent an hour in a spare classroom, drawing on the board, doing a practice run of a class I intend to do next semester, running all over the room to make sure my handwriting was legible, etc., then I came back in here to make a cup of coffee while humming the chorus to Brandy and Monica's "The Boy is Mine" in the kitchen area.

A year ago, up until about February I guess, I would have probably been afraid to even ask for permission to use that classroom. I guess I have the benefit of being one of only 3 teachers at this particular school who stayed on from last year, so I feel like I know how this school works better than most all these people at this point... It was refreshing/liberating having to watch the new principal ask when we eat lunch, if he was allowed to turn the TV on in the office, what that DONG was when someone rang the doorbell of the school, etc... Ain't nothing to be afraid of, at least in my case.

At least I still don't wear headphones, watch videos, read comics, or check Facebook. Well, not overtly.

WoodWERD

Came across this article from NYT and was curious to hear other's thoughts. I'm starting my 3rd contract in China next month and am starting to see myself doing this for a while. Probably moving to a new country every X years when I feel the time is right.

Anyway, I found this story interesting because the teaching environment in the US is so rough that someone like myself - previous career in business, no teaching credentials beyond TEFL - could fast track into a much better position back in Asia as far as job security and salary. Is anyone else considering taking a year or two off to go back, get certified, and then returning to teach abroad? With my experience teaching at a well known university in China, adding the certification would put me in a MUCH better position I feel. Here are some excerpts:

Teacher Shortages Spur a Nationwide Hiring Scramble (Credentials Optional)

Louisville, Ky.; Nashville; Oklahoma City; and Providence, R.I., are among the large urban school districts having trouble finding teachers, according to the Council of the Great City Schools, which represents large urban districts. Just one month before the opening of classes, Charlotte, N.C., was desperately trying to fill 200 vacancies.

But in 2013-14, the last year for which figures are available, nearly a quarter of all new teaching credentials issued in California were for internships that allow candidates to work full time as teachers while simultaneously enrolling in training courses at night or on weekends.

In addition, the number of emergency temporary permits issued to allow non-credentialed staff members to fill teaching posts jumped by more than 36 percent between 2012 and 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom