• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest class at my middle school is four kids (2nd grade).

3rd and 1st grade are two students each who happen to be siblings. There was a death in the family or something recently (I didn't ask), so the three times I went to that school this week, the two siblings (one 3rd grader and one 1st grader) were absent. There was only one student in each class and us two teachers. Really weird feeling. Coming up with activities for two kids is awkward and repetitive enough, but just one kid...

You'd think kids getting so much one on one time with teachers would make them super good at English, but while I'm really proud of my kids and they are where they should be English-wise, not having other kids around for competitive motivation or anything really shows. They like English and talk to me in English in the halls, at recess, etc., all the time, but they don't have a particularly strong reason for studying (not just English) and I'm sure any advanced kid at a normal-sized junior high would be miles more impressive.

Porcile

Blegh, this thread reminds me that I submitted my Interac application two weeks ago and still haven't heard anything back. They also never responded to an email I sent them about three weeks ago. I'm slightly concerned, but at least they haven't outright told me I'm not getting an interview, so I guess I could be on the back burner or something. On the other hand, it's very frustrating just waiting around for any sign of a response. At least with JET you knew you had to wait a long time, but nearly everything I heard about Interac suggested that wouldn't be the case with them, and that I would at least hear back quickly about the status of my written application. :-(

Scarecrow

Forgot to mention I'm teaching at two high schools. The kids are between 14-16. Role play can be difficult.

Thinking of entertaining activities has always been my Achilles heel.

You should really figure out how to scrounge up some more cash before you go. Do you at least have an emergency credit card or something? Being totally broke in another country is not somewhere I'd want to be. You never know what kind of expenses might pop up as a first timer abroad.

Kagoshima is awesome, you'll have a great time.

And yeah, figure out a way to get some cash over the next few weeks, the more the better. JET recommends something like 250k JPY but I got by with 800 USD in my first few weeks just fine.

I was also really broke when coming on JET and had to take out a cash advance on one of my cards (not really a good option, but it's something to consider). Maybe check the internet work thread and see if you can earn a bit too, though those sites take a while to get started on so it won't be much at first.

Nah no credit card to speak of, I just used debit all through college and the year after. I was already in the process of offloading some old gaming stuff and what not so I hope to get some more of it out the door in the next three weeks or so which should help with things I can buy before leaving. Other than that pretty sure the family would help out a bit if needed.

But yeah pretty content with the Kagoshima region, was hoping for the Southern end of the country.

bluethree

Don't know where in Kagoshima exactly you'll be, but Kagoshima City is AWESOME and probably my 2nd favorite place in Kyushu after Fukuoka. It's the perfect mix of provincial life and modern convenience - a well developed mid sized city with a different feel from Tokyo or Osaka that still has everything you need (even a Shinkansen!). I have friends who have lived/are currently living in the more rural parts too and have nice things to say.

Shouta

You'll definitely need a bit more money than just 300 to survive your first month until your paycheck. Try to figure something out to get at least a little more before hopping over. I think I had about 800-1000 for my first month but I think only I spent about 400-500 in total in my first month for various things.

Kagoshima should be fun though. Best part about JET is getting to experience those places. Make sure you set up a strategy for saving when you get there too btw. One of the best things you can do during your time there is to save. I ended up with a big piggy bank when I left Japan and I still enjoyed myself whenever I wanted, lol.

You'll definitely need a bit more money than just 300 to survive your first month until your paycheck. Try to figure something out to get at least a little more before hopping over. I think I had about 800-1000 for my first month but I think only I spent about 400-500 in total in my first month for various things.

Kagoshima should be fun though. Best part about JET is getting to experience those places. Make sure you set up a strategy for saving when you get there too btw. One of the best things you can do during your time there is to save. I ended up with a big piggy bank when I left Japan and I still enjoyed myself whenever I wanted, lol.

Yeah, the $300 was mostly just my personal side cash. Mostly for the random things I would need to buy before/soon as I get there. In terms of actual money for surviving to the first check I think my family has my back for covering any extra I might need.

The real problem is we had a trip to Vegas planned the week I'm supposed to fly out lol. Feel bad for having to dip into the money saved for that, but I'm sure they would rather me do this than mess around in vegas for a week.

Porcile

Ignoring JET and Interac what are the other options like for dispatch companies? I've had no movement on my Interac application. There's been no rejection or any acknowledgement other than when I sent it off just over three weeks ago now. My final resort is to phone them up tomorrow and try and see whats happening. I am considering my options, as I feel like I've drawn the short straw somehow.

How is AEON?

I'm also wondering whether or not just to give up for the time being, Learn Japanese for longer and try and find some private eikaiwa school or something. All this waiting around for nothing is quite depressing though.

bluethree

My understanding is that many other dispatch companies are regional and hire in country candidates only...but I could be wrong. I had an interview with a fukuoka dispatch company last week (probably didnt get it)

I know you said ignore JET but the application process will be starting up soon. Failing that...yeah it's harder to get something when you're overseas.

One site to try is ohayo sensei...again most jobs hire people who already have visas, but Im positive I saw some jobs listed there which will sponsor you.

Porcile

So after much anxiety for five weeks, as it turns out I did receive an offer of a phone interview and afterwards got offered a place on the final interview/seminar event. I was a little worried because I felt that I fumbled through a couple of the questions in my phone interview. I spent a good amount of time preparing potential questions and answers in readiness, and the first question I was asked was one I hadn't prepared. Generally, I'm also fairly awkward on the phone, but much better in real life - haha. I must of said something reasonably cohesive though. I'm not really sure what making it to the final seminar means for potential employment, but I imagine as long as I don't screw it up in some disastrous fashion then I have a really good chance.

Mairu

This thread is large.

I've been considering applying for the JET program but it seems unlikely that I'd get in. I've been working for a few years following graduation in IT but I'd really like to start working abroad for a few years if I can. I also don't really enjoy working in IT :|. The JET program has always come up as a possibility but I've had random reasons before for not applying.

Anything worth reading as far as advice on getting in, likelihood after applying a few years after getting a Bachelor's or anything else? Feel free to link me to any earlier posts in the thread as I haven't gone through all 20+ pages...

This thread is large.

I've been considering applying for the JET program but it seems unlikely that I'd get in. I've been working for a few years following graduation in IT but I'd really like to start working abroad for a few years if I can. I also don't really enjoy working in IT :|. The JET program has always come up as a possibility but I've had random reasons before for not applying.

Anything worth reading as far as advice on getting in, likelihood after applying a few years after getting a Bachelor's or anything else? Feel free to link me to any earlier posts in the thread as I haven't gone through all 20+ pages...

I'm 27 and am leaving for JET in a week so you are fine with some work experience. Heck it will probably be a plus. Yes JET and programs like it are mostly targeted for fresh out of college but there are a ton of new comers who were working a few years and wanting a change. Definitely a lot of participants in their early 30s, some are late 30s and mid 40s as well so don't let age be your thing that makes you not to apply.

Other than that not sure what else to let you know, if you have any specific questions I'm sure the other JET members who have been there a while can help. There are a ton of sites filled with dejected old people who hate video games and anime and will be snarky about anyone wanting to do this job lol, but the information on those sites tends to be pretty good as long as you take it at face value and put no stock in it haha. Most of it is the same type of info.

Still though I say go for it. Can't hurt to try.

Anyway I got my general assignment today, two junior high schools. Not bad, kinda wanted senior high closer it got but I got not qualms with this. Get there the 15th, and start the 20th lol. Once again "fast and loose" haha.

Go_Ly_Dow

Starting my TEFL tomorrow and also getting my application together now.

1 reference from my recent employer and 1 from my University.

Kind worried I'm severely lacking in the extra curricular stuff, might have to rely on a good word from my references.

I do have years of work experience (none teaching related) which involved having a constant discussion working with various people in international backgrounds. Long background working in recruitment for several different companies and most recently worked for the University of Cambridge in a PA role in which I spoke directly with people from all over the world (staff, visitors, students) etc....

Relying heavily on the the latter and hoping the reputation of Cambridge makes me stand out.

My heart is set on giving my all as a language teacher and the JET programme is the change I sorely need in my life.

Jaffaboy

My heart is set on giving my all as a language teacher and the JET programme is the change I sorely need in my life.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Consider other options in Japan, and maybe other countries also. Korea and China have a plethora of opportunities, as well as Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam etc. JET is the most competitive of all ESL jobs I feel, but other options still offer a great teaching experience. You sound like you have a pretty good resume though, and the TEFL is going to help you heaps. Good luck!

Go_Ly_Dow

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Consider other options in Japan, and maybe other countries also. Korea and China have a plethora of opportunities, as well as Taiwan, Thailand, Vietnam etc. JET is the most competitive of all ESL jobs I feel, but other options still offer a great teaching experience. You sound like you have a pretty good resume though, and the TEFL is going to help you heaps. Good luck!

Thanks. And yeah I understand how competitive JET is and it definitely isn't something you can take for granted. Really give my all with this application so I can get to the interview stage and once again give it my all.

Had an intensive 10 hours of in class TEFL training today (and 10 hours tomorrow). It is what seems like "basic" stuff, but it has definitely put my mind on the mindset I need to adopt to teach English.

Hopefully I can now land some volunteering to get some more tangible experience.

Porcile

Does anyone have a some links/ideas for a really quick language warm exercises I could use? Preferably something where I get to act like a bit of a goof but also drill some easy vocabulary.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Does anyone have a some links/ideas for a really quick language warm exercises I could use? Preferably something where I get to act like a bit of a goof but also drill some easy vocabulary.

I got this fucking awesome warmup from a conference I went to.

Have em make circular groups and hold hands. Works better if they can choose their groups because obviously holding hands...

Write 2 similar sounding words on the board. ex:

Mouth Mouse

Mouse is the keyword.

Keep saying the non keyword, but...

...when you say the keyword, the kids try to withdraw their right hand, but they grab with their left hand. So a winner will have his right hand free but his left hand will be grabbing his partner's right hand which failed to escape.

For some reason I find this game fucking impossible to explain, but once it clicks, they love it.

Other stuff like fry/fly, tree/three, heart/hurt etc.

Porcile

Whoops. I should've mentioned it's not a live class but rather just a video demonstration without any students. I will pretend there are kids present but anything which requires actual interaction wont work.

bluethree

This thread is large.

I was an older JET and I got in with no issues. I did have plenty of overseas experience beforehand though (and I went for the CIR position instead of the ALT one), but age shouldn't be an issue at all. They literally didn't even mention my age in my interview.

They accept people of all backgrounds, but if you have time it might be a oood idea to start thinking of little things you can do for your application (assuming you're not applying this year, if you are then it'd be too late to do this stuff), like volunteer teaching, maybe finding a way to get involved in something Japan-related in your area, etc.

Go_Ly_Dow

Networked with a lady at my TEFL class who will let me assist her at a vocational college with ESL students.

Really happy and lucky as having some classroom experience will be an area I can now include in my JET personal statement.

WoodWERD

Any of you folks teaching with someone who went/is going through the TeacherReady program? It's a FL-based online teaching cert that can be completed in 9 months. I've got an abundance of free time and it's pretty inexpensive, so I figure why not. I'm just looking to hear about people's experiences and whether it was worth it in the end.

I was an older JET and I got in with no issues. I did have plenty of overseas experience beforehand though (and I went for the CIR position instead of the ALT one), but age shouldn't be an issue at all.

Where did you teach before and how did it compare with your JET experience?

bluethree

Where did you teach before and how did it compare with your JET experience?

I taught in Korea before going on JET, and it was mostly positive. Most people will tell you that teaching English in Korea is worse than in Japan, and that is true in a general sense (though the money is better/easier in Korea). I didn't have any major issues in either of my Korean jobs though.

For me personally it's hard to do a direct comparison since I worked in both countries in different jobs (CIR is more of an office type job though I did some teaching and had other dispatches for presentations, etc).

My JET experience was absolutely horrific, but those were due to things particular to my placement/contracting organization and not JET as a whole, which is really good and has great pay, benefits, and a good support network.

Porcile

What are the options for Korea? I'm considering other plans of action if Japan doesn't work out. Is EPIK as competitive as JET or Interac are for Japan?

bluethree

What are the options for Korea? I'm considering other plans of action if Japan doesn't work out. Is EPIK as competitive as JET or Interac are for Japan?

It's been a while since I've worked in Korea, but things are changing (re: the market is getting worse) and I've heard that public school cuts are part of that.

Check out Dave's ESL Cafe's Korea forum, there's a bit of negativity on there but also lots of good info.

There are a *ton* of private schools too, but you have to be a bit more careful with those as there are a lot of sketchy ones out there.

Fina1e

I have an interview tomorrow in Taichung for a position and I am incredibly nervous. It is an interview plus a thirty minute demo and I have no prior classroom experience.

Any suggestions GAF?

Laieon

It's been a while since I've worked in Korea, but things are changing (re: the market is getting worse) and I've heard that public school cuts are part of that.

Check out Dave's ESL Cafe's Korea forum, there's a bit of negativity on there but also lots of good info.

There are a *ton* of private schools too, but you have to be a bit more careful with those as there are a lot of sketchy ones out there.

I've been in Korea since July of last year, this is pretty much all the options you have. If you have a master's, you might be able to find a University position, but those are somewhat rare.

EPIK/GEPIK are still a thing, but they've had massive budget cuts recently and it looks like they're on the way out. The province I was living in previously ended up letting all of their EPIK teachers go.

Hagwons (the private schools) are fairly safe bets if you use common sense. If it's your first time working at one, I would be looking at ones in Seoul/Gyeonggido or the Busan area (simply because those are the two biggest regions and you'll be able to find more information for those areas), make sure you talk to current teachers (I say that as someone who is the only foreign teacher at my current school. It definitely gets lonely (even though I have plenty of friends in the area I'm living in) at work. When I first arrived, I was working at another school that had 7 foreign teachers, it was fantastic having a support group right off the bat. Aside from that, make sure your contract fits the standard 2.1 mil (unless you have experience), pension, 50% health care, and a flight to/from Korea (although to be fair, one way tickets may be the standard now. I don't see as many 2 ticket job offers as I did when I was looking into coming here). There's definitely plenty of sketchy hagwons, but it's more than possible to find great/good ones too.

One benefit over picking a Hagwon over EPIK/GEPIK is that you can choose where you end up.

Porcile

I've been in Korea since July of last year, this is pretty much all the options you have. If you have a master's, you might be able to find a University position, but those are somewhat rare.

EPIK/GEPIK are still a thing, but they've had massive budget cuts recently and it looks like they're on the way out. The province I was living in previously ended up letting all of their EPIK teachers go.

Hagwons (the private schools) are fairly safe bets if you use common sense. If it's your first time working at one, I would be looking at ones in Seoul/Gyeonggido or the Busan area (simply because those are the two biggest regions and you'll be able to find more information for those areas), make sure you talk to current teachers (I say that as someone who is the only foreign teacher at my current school. It definitely gets lonely (even though I have plenty of friends in the area I'm living in) at work. When I first arrived, I was working at another school that had 7 foreign teachers, it was fantastic having a support group right off the bat. Aside from that, make sure your contract fits the standard 2.1 mil (unless you have experience), pension, 50% health care, and a flight to/from Korea (although to be fair, one way tickets may be the standard now. I don't see as many 2 ticket job offers as I did when I was looking into coming here). There's definitely plenty of sketchy hagwons, but it's more than possible to find great/good ones too.

One benefit over picking a Hagwon over EPIK/GEPIK is that you can choose where you end up.

Thanks all. I do need to a lot of research if I'm going to make Korea a serious option. Luckily, I do have a Master's and a couple years university teaching experience so good to know it might open some doors.

Thanks all. I do need to a lot of research if I'm going to make Korea a serious option. Luckily, I do have a Master's and a couple years university teaching experience so good to know it might open some doors.

With a Masters and university teaching experience I would suggest pushing for a university position in Korea. Be aware that Korea is going through a "cull" of Universities because of a reduction in students (birthrate). If the university is in the top 100 it should be ok.

Eventually scrounged up around 170,000 worth of yen after fees and what not, with about $200 as just in case money for the rest of my time here til I leave next week. Wanted a tad bit more but gaf really came through in the buy and sell thread. Does not seem like I will get slapped with any huge payments right away after being contacted by a person already there.

Though I also found out my apartment is most likely right smack in the middle of downtown. Guess wanting a quiet place in or near the suburbs was asking a bit too much lol. Though it seems like thats where my schools are!

Scarecrow

What are some good warm up activities you've found successful? I've given my high schooners 4 weeks of tongue twisters and 4 weeks of slang. Was gonna do 4 of idioms, but that seems a little redundant.

Jintor

I wish I could do that. The Junior Highschoolers I have just aren't good enough to keep up with anything beyond basic Criss Cross and other fairly basic warm ups (even my third years...), and my main school is just relentless with the schedule so I barely have time for non-textbook related activities...

Darksol

What are some good warm up activities you've found successful? I've given my high schooners 4 weeks of tongue twisters and 4 weeks of slang. Was gonna do 4 of idioms, but that seems a little redundant.

That's a shame since idioms are arguably the most useful of the three :p

WoodWERD

"Find someone who..." either print your own worksheets or have them draw their own charts. Mine seemed to enjoy it last week. Also found this site while searching for activities for a monster 60+ student class I have. Most are probably pretty familiar to you already but good warm-ups nonetheless:

http://monkeyabroad.com/27-esl-games-for-large-classes/

Darksol

TOEFL test. The one needed to get into colleges in most western unis.

Ahhhh. I think you were confusing people, that's all. Previously you were writing TEFL which means "Teaching English as a Foreign Language", which is a lot of our occupations, lol.

So just had my first two days of school here in Kagoshima, the kids are nice, loud but fun. It's more they don't try to correct their nonsense type rambunctiousness. But the staff is cool, and one of my JTE's is a cutie who is the same age as me lol. When I told her I liked street fighter and games she started saying she likes Dragon Quest lol. Today when I told the class I like street fighter and only a few kids knew what it was she started to name all the characters and chose obscure ass dhalsim as the example, named all the moves and everything....

dudes I totally swooned in that instant. First day "oh shes cute w/e" second day "omg i think im in love" haha. Girls at school keep asking me who is my type and what not and I kinda made the joke that I thought the JTE was cute and they ran off giggling and screaming down the hall haha. Go downstairs and see them infront of the teachers room just staring at her waiting for me lol. So yeah that was 2 of my 5 days here so far, have not been to the other school yet haha.

Oh and for those who have been to Kagoshima before I live literally across the street from Tenmonkan lol. I find myself there almost every night in the best ways. Seedy as fuck but really fun to just wander around. Oh also made Japanese friends. They took me around to a bunch of places, got some mindblowing Tofu, saw an amazing indie band, and had 10,000 yen worth of motsunabe/sidedishes. We barely can speak the language but we keep running into each other and put up with my nonsense gaijinness. Met one guy as a bartender, got an awesome drink from him and tried to chat best we could. Saw him again the next day while wandering around and he took me out for a night of awesome hole in the wall places with his buddy and gf, then the next day I ran into his girlfriend while looking for a bathmat and she showed me around all the shops.

Seriously only been here a weekend and some change and already having the time of my life.

Jintor

daring lol. sounds like you're having the ideal jet experience.

me, all my JTEs are 30s-40s parents or that One Old Guy Who Teaches Like It's 1970 and the ones that aren't I have no idea. The one I had last year that was pretty cute went off to go study spanish in mexico or something @_@

Porcile

I think I made it to the final application stage (selection by head office in Tokyo), as they've been chasing me up on some outstanding references, which I assume they wouldn't do if they weren't going to consider me. My interview went ok, but it was kind of a weird day for a number of reasons, and not quite what I expected after reading about other peoples experiences. Hopefully I'll hear back soon. Having got this far, I'm going to be pretty damn disappointed if I don't make it now. Where as I wasn't as disappointed with not being accepted onto JET because I didn't even get a chance to screw up in person.

Thinking about it, Interac's application feels just as hard and selective as JET's. Written application>phone interview>teaching demonstration and interview>final selection by head office in Tokyo. It makes me all the more confused why I didn't even get a JET interview a couple years back.

sasimirobot

Anyone interested in a job in China? If you have your background check and a degree you can start ASAP. Its a kindergarten so no experience necessary, but yeah, you have to be comfortable around children. PM or post here if you want to hear more details

daring lol. sounds like you're having the ideal jet experience.

me, all my JTEs are 30s-40s parents or that One Old Guy Who Teaches Like It's 1970 and the ones that aren't I have no idea. The one I had last year that was pretty cute went off to go study spanish in mexico or something @_@

Haha yeah I'm kinda fucking around since im still new honestly. I know how they will react if I say Unoki sensei is cute so I do it purpose lol her homeroom class basically offered her up to me rofl. But yeah have not really done anything yet but I love this place so far.

The guy I'm replacing apparently left after 2 weeks. Literally just straight up left with no word. so........ -shrug- I love this shit so far.

WoodWERD

Anyone interested in a job in China? If you have your background check and a degree you can start ASAP. Its a kindergarten so no experience necessary, but yeah, you have to be comfortable around children. PM or post here if you want to hear more details

Not interested in the gig, but what passes for an acceptable background check in your province? I have something minor from 10 years ago that I've wondered about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom