• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teaching English in Asia |OT| We're back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Is a degree always necessary for the Japanese programmes? I haven't got one but I've been working in a high school as a learning support assistant for the last five years. Working and living in Japan is something I'd love to do but the cost of getting a degree (in the uk at least) is ridiculous.

Sorry if this is something that gets asked all the time.

Student Loan breh

By the you get a salary in Yen to make you start paying it back is the time you get insanely bored with teaching English

My girlfriend and I are looking to spend a few months in Japan this Fall (within the 90-day limit), and I'm wondering what sort of part-time teaching options are available to us. Neither of us have our credentials, but we both currently teach online for a test prep/tutoring company. We have experience. This would just be for supplemental income, as we'll still be working our primary job in a limited capacity while we're there.

Darksol

My girlfriend and I are looking to spend a few months in Japan this Fall (within the 90-day limit), and I'm wondering what sort of part-time teaching options are available to us. Neither of us have our credentials, but we both currently teach online for a test prep/tutoring company. We have experience. This would just be for supplemental income, as we'll still be working our primary job in a limited capacity while we're there.

It's illegal to make income while on a tourist visa.

Darksol

unless you're from a working holiday visa country :)

A holiday visa is different from a tourist visa. And still, you have to apply for a holiday visa, it isn't just given to you :p

I'm using a holiday visa next year for an extended stay in Japan :D

Porcile

It has been a while since I've done much research on ALT'ing in Japan. Are Interac still a good option? I tried JET (UK) a couple years back and I just think I'm now too old and not a fresh enough graduate to be considered by them, so I'm looking for alternatives. Ideally I'd like to go with a company, instead of doing it alone since this would be my first experience. I've got a BA, MA, a couple years teaching experience (young and undergrads) and a fair amount of educational related work. This would be a whole new experience and challenge. What are the seasoned GAF vets thoughts, any good alternatives to Interac? I would be looking to apply around the end of August and September time.

Jaffaboy

It has been a while since I've done much research on ALT'ing in Japan. Are Interac still a good option? I tried JET (UK) a couple years back and I just think I'm now too old and not a fresh enough graduate to be considered by them, so I'm looking for alternatives. Ideally I'd like to go with a company, instead of doing it alone since this would be my first experience. I've got a BA, MA, a couple years teaching experience (young and undergrads) and a fair amount of educational related work. This would be a whole new experience and challenge. What are the seasoned GAF vets thoughts, any good alternatives to Interac? I would be looking to apply around the end of August and September time.

You have an MA and teaching experience? You could probably do better than Interac, but I think you'd have no problem getting a position. If you have an MA I think you can get a university job though.

micster

I'm in Japan now with Interac from the UK. I've just finished my first month working with them. I've personally had no problems with the company and the job is absolutely fantastic. With your experience they would immediately take you on. (Full disclosure: I had no previous teaching experience, but I was applying with my partner who did.)

After JET, I think Interac is probably held as the best dispatch company. As long as you know in advance how they try to trip you over (29.5 hour weeks, as after 30 they have to pay for you to have better insurance) then you should have a great time.

When are you wanting to leave the UK? If you apply in August / September time then the earliest you'll be leaving is March 2016. If you applied now then you'd be part of the August intake.

Porcile

You have an MA and teaching experience? You could probably do better than Interac, but I think you'd have no problem getting a position. If you have an MA I think you can get a university job though.

In truth, I'm looking a for a little change of pace from university. The past couple years I've been quite intertwined with it all, but it hasn't quite worked out for whatever reason. The course I worked with for a long time was on a shoestring budget and couldn't afford to give me the hours I was looking for. I still maintain a good relationship with them but I've been wanting to move to something very different on for a while now. Maybe university work could be something I work towards once I get a grip on the culture and language.

I'm in Japan now with Interac from the UK. I've just finished my first month working with them. I've personally had no problems with the company and the job is absolutely fantastic. With your experience they would immediately take you on. (Full disclosure: I had no previous teaching experience, but I was applying with my partner who did.)

After JET, I think Interac is probably held as the best dispatch company. As long as you know in advance how they try to trip you over (29.5 hour weeks, as after 30 they have to pay for you to have better insurance) then you should have a great time.

When are you wanting to leave the UK? If you apply in August / September time then the earliest you'll be leaving is March 2016. If you applied now then you'd be part of the August intake.

Good to hear from someone who is currently knee deep in it. I have no problem waiting a little while to get something if it's the right option, and I don't want to rush the application process. It's been a couple years since I applied to JET and last considered going out to Japan. My home life is not exactly toxic either, so I could use the time to take language lessons and build up a little money.

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :)

My girlfriend and I are in the process of planning a 3-month stay in Tokyo. We both teach online, currently, but there's a possibility that we'd want to quit our jobs in favor of just getting something in Japan. Is that possible/legal, or would we have to arrange a job beforehand? It's something that we'd prefer to play by ear, if possible.

Jintor

My girlfriend and I are in the process of planning a 3-month stay in Tokyo. We both teach online, currently, but there's a possibility that we'd want to quit our jobs in favor of just getting something in Japan. Is that possible/legal, or would we have to arrange a job beforehand? It's something that we'd prefer to play by ear, if possible.

you can't work on a tourist visa

thenexus6

So a couple I know left the UK via Borderlink in March to teach in Japan. I asked them how the process went and they apparently had a Skype interview, neither have any teaching experience or any certificate .. is it really that simple with some of these companies?

Have a BA, interest in Japan (or said language and country) and maybe some luck? I assume you'd need a sizeable amount of money to get you over there and started off too.

Jaffaboy

So a couple I know left the UK via Borderlink in March to teach in Japan. I asked them how the process went and they apparently had a Skype interview, neither have any teaching experience or any certificate .. is it really that simple with some of these companies?

Have a BA, interest in Japan (or said language and country) and maybe some luck? I assume you'd need a sizeable amount of money to get you over there and started off too.

Yep, it can really that easy, though always do at least a google search on the school/company you're applying for. I'd recommend an absolute minimum of £1500 to take with you to set up, and also money for the flight. Also, depending on if your school helps you find an apartment or not, that can get very costly with key money and so forth, depending on the area you're living.

Other than that, I'd recommend doing a TEFL/TESOL course as it's incredibly helpful, and make you look a bit more serious about doing it. Here's the company I used about 4 years ago: http://www.tefl.org.uk/. So other than that, go for it!

micster

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. :)
Any time! Feel free to chuck me a message if you've got any questions

I understand that, but I'm wondering if a company can sponsor us in order to keep us there.
Short answer: No, I'm fairly sure they cant.

Long answer: You have to get your visa sorted in your home country. You have to submit a certificate of eligibility to the Japanese consulate in your country, for your visa to then be issued and pressed into your passport.

The CoE is applied for by your employers and provided by the Japanese government - as long as you pass all the checks. This takes some time. After an employer gives you an offer it can be a 6 week wait until they submit and receive the CoE from the government. This also requires police checks in your home country before the paperwork to apply for a CoE can be sent off.

Then, once that's finally finished, you have 3 months to arrive in Japan once your visa has been issued. Then your visa is finalised at immigration and you receive your zairyu card - the evidence that you're allowed to work and stop in the country.

thenexus6

Yep, it can really that easy, though always do at least a google search on the school/company you're applying for. I'd recommend an absolute minimum of £1500 to take with you to set up, and also money for the flight. Also, depending on if your school helps you find an apartment or not, that can get very costly with key money and so forth, depending on the area you're living.

Other than that, I'd recommend doing a TEFL/TESOL course as it's incredibly helpful, and make you look a bit more serious about doing it. Here's the company I used about 4 years ago: http://www.tefl.org.uk/. So other than that, go for it!

Hey thanks, I have been looking into a TEFL course to strengthen my application but also get experience. My friend is currently doing it so i've been chatting to him about it.

I think I better start saving some money then!

WoodWERD

So have any of you gone the route (or know anyone who has) of an online masters or teaching cert while teaching abroad? Was it worth it? Obviously that depends on the program you choose and where you're teaching, but I'm still curious to hear how it worked out for you. My motivation isn't really to go make big bucks at an international school, but I do want to be more effective at my job and also give myself some job security. I'm only 32, and having the ability to bounce around the world and teach sounds better than going back to the rat race in the US.

sasimirobot

So have any of you gone the route (or know anyone who has) of an online masters or teaching cert while teaching abroad? Was it worth it? Obviously that depends on the program you choose and where you're teaching, but I'm still curious to hear how it worked out for you. My motivation isn't really to go make big bucks at an international school, but I do want to be more effective at my job and also give myself some job security. I'm only 32, and having the ability to bounce around the world and teach sounds better than going back to the rat race in the US.

That guy Will in the ChinaGaf wechat room just did that, online masters. I can PM you his number if you want to talk to him.

Even with the JET Program, I had one in-person interview (after the initial application) and no elementary teaching experience, but I've been planning and teaching every class on my own--roughly 16 a week--since pretty much my first day here. In elementary, at least in the city where I live, all of us ALTs had it roughly the same. No teaching experience but thrown in right away to legitimate teaching because the Japanese teachers have less confidence in their English than the students do. That is absolutely not how it's supposed to go in theory* and I definitely didn't expect that, but we all seem to do it here. It's stressful at times, but it's not that difficult of a job, I don't think. I had two or three classes go poorly in my time here but I'm at the point after 8 months where it just comes naturally--I remember all my main students (5th and 6th grade) by name, call on them to answer questions, make them laugh, have free reign with what I do in the classroom. I'd say, more than teaching experience, just being good with people and enjoying being silly are hugely important. Your kids might be assholes--many of mine are--but Japanese kids are still more...childish than maybe American kids are at the same age. I couldn't imagine 6th grade American kids being EXCITED to count a bunch of monkeys on a page, but my kids who were just weeks before stealing money from each other and shouting yakuza slang during a shopping activity couldn't have been more excited to be the first to figure out that there were 47 monkeys at the start of 6th grade textbook. They dig that silly shit.

This is all just relative to elementary schools, though. I teach at 5 different elementary schools in a week, by the way.

As for start up money, I didn't have to pay for my ticket, as is customary with the JET Program, but I did have a pretty damn expensive first month as I moved into a private apartment with a monthly rent of 5万, or roughly $500. Deposit, "finder's fee," and first month's rent was $1500 off the bat, which was closer to $1800 after assorted taxes and junk. I bought my predecessor's car since it's necessary for my location, which was a $300 first month installment and $300 or so for first month's insurance, title transfer, etc. First month cell phone was another $100 or so... The schools I work at every Monday and Tuesday are an hour drive away from my home, so gas was a factor right away. I've been drinking a little so I couldn't possibly redo the math right now, but I think it's like $7/gallon.

Ultimately I brought $2500 with me here in yen and it felt pretty tight by the end of that first month. I think my situation, at least with the rent at my private apartment and also with requiring a car, is somewhat unique in Japan, though, so I wouldn't count on those same expenses.

*I overheard a conversation recently between the vice principal and English language supervisor at one of my schools when the supervisor handed him an outline of the school's English language program which referenced my being the main instructor during English lessons. The vice principal said he was very aware of that being the norm, at least where I live, but that it was absolutely not something you would ever acknowledge officially and told him to revise the form to remove that bit.

F!ReW!Re

Hi all, looking for some advice on teaching English in either China or Taiwan.

So I'm a 30 years old Dutch guy, no experience in teaching English abroad (or at home).
I have (very minor) experience in teaching (a 5 week project where me and 2 colleagues gave IT networking classes in Manila, in English ofcourse)

Current situation:
Have been on the road for the last 7 months: Did the Trans-Mongolian Express, traveled through a large part of China for 3,5 months, traveled around South Korea for 1,5 month, spend a month in the Philippines and currently am enjoying Taiwan (A LOT)!
Long story short: I need moah money.

So I'm leaving Taiwan on the 25th, heading to HK to get a new Chinese visa.
I'll be heading to Chengdu to catch a train to Lhasa (and arrange all the Tibet visas in Chengdu). Depending on the length of the tourist visa (I hope I can get another 60 days visa) I will head to Guilin/Yangshuo after Tibet to visit a friend and look for a job in that area. Taiwan is the back-up plan/destination if it doesn't work out in China.
I'm ofcourse looking for a lower level position, teaching english to kids, learning them simple phrases, playing games/singing songs with them, etc.

Now comes the part I need help with:
1. Is it common for Chinese/Taiwanese companies to sponsor/help with getting you a working (business) visa?
2. Would you guys advise looking for a job before actually entering the country?
3. I've heard that the salary in China for teaching English is a lot better than in Taiwan. Is this true? Especially considering that the cost of living in China is a lot lower compared to Taiwan.
4. My goal is just saving up money, that being said though; I don't want to do a half assed job and have been looking at certification for teaching English. Is this advisable? I think the only way I can do this is an online course but in browsing different forums/websites a lot of people don't advise this since they say you need to have real life experience teaching classes to actually make the certification become beneficial.

Some stuff I've "heard" from friends/people on the road:
- Getting a job as an English teacher is easier in China and it pays better (compared to Taiwan)
- I've got a couple of foreigner friends around China who work on a tourist visa's (Illegal ofcourse but they don't care, the companies they work for don't care either). I've heard that if I want to change a tourist visa into a work/business visa I need to actually exit the country.
- For the lower level jobs: In China they don't mind if the teacher is a non-native English speaker. In Taiwan they do care but will hire you if you have appropriate certification.

F!ReW!Re

^ Are you just passing through on your backpacking trip or are you planning to stay somewhere for more than a year?

I'm planning to stay in one place from July/August till about January/Febuary to work.
So staying put somewhere for about 6 months...

sasimirobot

Now comes the part I need help with:
1. Is it common for Chinese/Taiwanese companies to sponsor/help with getting you a working (business) visa?

Pretty standard, that is why they will want you to sign a 1 or 2 year contract, because of all the hassle and money involved getting your work permit.

2. Would you guys advise looking for a job before actually entering the country?

Up to you. Its just as easy, maybe even easier to show up. The back and forth with emails/skype etc...is a headache. Show up in person and things tend to get going much faster, ie. "Nice to meet you when can you start, tomorrow morning ok?"

3. I've heard that the salary in China for teaching English is a lot better than in Taiwan. Is this true? Especially considering that the cost of living in China is a lot lower compared to Taiwan.

This I don't know about that exactly, but I would assume it comes down to supply and demand. I have found that good comfortable countries and cities tend to attract westerners. The more westerners the more competition for jobs and the lower the pay. Middle of nowhere China and you are "worth more" so to speak.

4. My goal is just saving up money, that being said though; I don't want to do a half assed job and have been looking at certification for teaching English. Is this advisable?

Since you will only be teaching for a short time, and won't know what you are doing anyways, a certificate that says you touched up on your grammar is not going to help you much. It looks good but, showing up white and with 2 arms looks better.

- I've got a couple of foreigner friends around China who work on a tourist visa's (Illegal ofcourse but they don't care, the companies they work for don't care either). I've heard that if I want to change a tourist visa into a work/business visa I need to actually exit the country.

If you have the balls for it go for it. I have done it in the past, but you really need to trust the people you work for have connections. I am going to assume everyone here would say no way dude you will be killed/deported/end up in a North Korean labor camp, but tons of people get away with it.

- For the lower level jobs: In China they don't mind if the teacher is a non-native English speaker. In Taiwan they do care but will hire you if you have appropriate certification.

Do you look white? Bam, job.

Good luck

Guys??

Um, this isn't about teaching in Asia, but I cant find any other teaching support groups

I got a job interview for the occasional teaching! It's in a week and a half but I am super nervous and want to make sure I know what they ask. Any advice?

Mind you Im in Ontario Canada. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I've been very depressed with no job interviews for my career, but this is making me especially hopeful.

thenexus6

I have a question about applying to teach in Japan; how much is previous your previous job(s) count towards your application? For the last year I have been working freelance and I feel like it won't look very good on my application compared to a more solid job.

The JET program in particular targets recent graduates and I would say most people working for them do not have prior "real job" experience, if any job experience.

Does anyone know if JET, Interac, etc have age cutoffs or obvious preferences for younger applicants?

I think its around 40's. I know JET is 45 I think or something just under 50. I'd expect the others are similar. Just in general most applicants are younger but there does seem to be more than a couple of people who go each year pushing the high 30's low 40's range, just going by other posts/stories. As for obvious preference... would not doubt it, but everything like that seems to be pure guess work since they are not supposed to do that but its unknown if they actually are.

We occasionally have JET prefectural meetings and certainly a handful--I'd say at least 10--every time look to be in their early 40s/late 30s. Maybe even beyond that. The majority is definitely recent college graduates, though.

numble

Anyone here teaching in Hong Kong?

I imagine the demand for foreigners teaching English is not very high, given that a large part of their education is already in English (i.e., most Hong Kong college graduates are expected to be fluent in English).

Raide

I imagine the demand for foreigners teaching English is not very high, given that a large part of their education is already in English (i.e., most Hong Kong college graduates are expected to be fluent in English).

That makes sense. Hrmmm....Might have to rethink a little bit.

Munin

Except in reality fewer and fewer are comfortably fluent and uni classes just get taught in Cantonese when there are no foreigners around.

Just found out my background check form to the government was lost in the mail... ugh. JET got my copy of the form but the actual thing never went through. Sent them an email and hopefully they are understanding/do not rely on the fbi to confirm the form being submitted on time. Would hate to be nixed from the list because a stupid mail screw up.

And I gotta pay for the prints/form/mail again @.@

Okay what the bloody do you do all day long?

My company told me I wasn't allowed to do anything personal at all on company time, but the school doesn't need me most of the time and my offers to help get turned down.

I literally just sit and stare at my text book pretend to flip through it and pretend to scribble notes for hours every day.

Tomorrow is another test day, 8 hours of utterly nothing besides me sitting in the chair and slowly going insane. Why does my job exist I don't know.

How do you stop from going insane on days like this? how can you pass the time when music isn't allowed?

Jaffaboy

Welcome to Asia. I've never seen so much pretend thinking time with acts like tapping on the keyboard/desk with a pen, or humming thinking noises. So much work goes into giving the illusion of working hard, sometimes more than actually working hard lol

Jintor

gaf

i'm usually doing kanji study or trying to read japanese news websites or whatever, which is not technically in my job description, but fuck it. are you a placement teacher? you could always just gaijin smash your way through the bullshit if you're not into 100% playing by the rules and/or don't need need to maintain your relationship with the school all the way. my yank friend just freaking watches netflix at work (once she's done with her job stuff) and no-one calls her on it, but she's leaving in june so she doesn't give two shits anymore.

Porcile

I'm trying to organise a bit more teaching experience at my university next semester, just to try and seal the Interac deal come September.

Does anyone know how similar the Interac application paperwork is to JET? I did the UK application and just remember it being a total pain, so i'd like to be as prepared as I can. I felt like my JET personal statement and references weren't as refined as they could have been so a bit of extra time in the oven wouldn't go amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom