• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official 360 Thread - Gamertag Roundup

Quagm1r3

Masta_Killah said:
keep re-searching. For some reason, it only shows less then a handful during some searches. Probably has to do with the signal strength.

I had the same problem. It has to do with router issues. I tried searching again connected directly to the modem and 10 games popped up as opposed to the 2 I found connected to my router.

Marjorine

FreakyFink said:
I'm tired of playing TEAM Fortress 2 with people who don't use TEAM tactics.

Tell me about it. I was playing last night for a bit, and it seemed like every time we did the CTF map and the other team decided to play a little defense we were screwed. People had mics, but they wouldn't coordinate, so it was one dude running into the intelligence room, getting splattered by some turrets, and then 90 seconds later another moron runs in alone, gets splattered, and so on until the game ended.

At least in Halo 3 I can survive with idiots, but TF2 doesn't lend itself to lone wolves and morons. I need to stop randomly going into games. It's a recipe for disaster.

Gowans

Been playing this so much but man random games with chumps not talking and doing zero team work is like a kick in the balls.

I need more people on my FL to kick some arse with.

Add me guys! Gowans007

I had the best run ever as a spy too, the other team thought they would be cleaver buggers & all defend with turrets as enginers, there were so many enginers that I could just stroll ound placing zapper after zapper and the wouldn't know which one was the spy as Id just get lost in them all.

So Funny!

Gowans007 said:
Been playing this so much but man random games with chumps not talking and doing zero team work is like a kick in the balls.

I need more people on my FL to kick some arse with.

Add me guys! Gowans007

I had the best run ever as a spy too, the other team thought they would be cleaver buggers & all defend with turrets as enginers, there were so many enginers that I could just stroll ound placing zapper after zapper and the wouldn't know which one was the spy as Id just get lost in them all.

So Funny!

Yeah, I developed the habit of always checking with teammates and giving the scoreboard a glance when someone enters the intel room. In most cases I catch (Read: Kill) a random spy lurking around, but sometimes I slip up.

The only time I play defensively (As an Engineer) is when I notice that my team isn't communicating, so I figure I'd be better off defending the flag then running around like a chicken lacking a head.

MMaRsu

We had some great games the other day Gowans, but after that I got stuck on the opposite team with noone talking which was fucked up so I bailed..

traveler

Not Wario
MMaRsu said:
We had some great games the other day Gowans, but after that I got stuck on the opposite team with noone talking which was fucked up so I bailed..

Had the same problem earlier today. Joined Gowans and co., played a few rounds, then got bumped to the other team. Huh.

Sounds like there's a fair amount of interest in having a regular night/time for GAF TF2 action. Do people have any suggestions as to what night of the week would work them, and what time is convenient? I'll try and pick something that works for West Coast, East Coast, and all points in between. Maybe an 8pm PT starting time? Give me some suggestions as to what would work for you guys, and I'll try to accommodate as many people as possible.

Sho Nuff

Banned
When in the hell is the title update for this going up? As of now, it's a laggy turd in a box. 4 out of 5 games I join are utterly miserable.

Cornballer said:
Sounds like there's a fair amount of interest in having a regular night/time for GAF TF2 action. Do people have any suggestions as to what night of the week would work them, and what time is convenient? I'll try and pick something that works for West Coast, East Coast, and all points in between. Maybe an 8pm PT starting time? Give me some suggestions as to what would work for you guys, and I'll try to accommodate as many people as possible.

8pm pst sounds good. I got really frustrated this whole weekend playing with morons who have no idea how to work as a team. It's even more frustrating to dominate as one character and then your whole team follows, thinking that because you're dominating as that character, they can do the same. For gods sake people, learn all the classes and pick the one that best suits you.

Dr3up good game this weekend. Wished there were more people in the room, but it was fun nonetheless. Sorry if I may have been too demanding as I usually don't like to bark out orders, but the matches I had before I joined your room left me wanting to shoot everyone on my team.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Cornballer said:

10:30 PM EST would be good for me

chapel

Banned
thechapel | chapel | -8 GMT

Been playing and getting used to it, really like playing engie and medic, but will explore more once I feel content with those.

JdFoX187

Banned
Cornballer said:
I work off and on different hours throughout the week, so whenever you guys are on, send me an invite.

Thermite

Cornballer said:

I can play at pretty much anytime, as long as it isn't past 1:00 AM Eastern. Just let me know when, and I'll be there. :)

Hammer

Through December my Monday and Thursday evenings are open. *Hint*Hint*

I'm usually on between 7p-12p these nights, and sporadically thought the rest of the week.

chapel

Banned
Has anyone had any issues with the game freezing on them. I have had it happen just under 10 times now, I think it has to do with using the guide frequently then trying to do something in the menu. Its quite odd and very annoying because I have to restart my xbox and it takes so long to load up into TF2 itself.

ALeperMessiah | ALeperMessiah | -5GMT (EST)

chapel said:
Has anyone had any issues with the game freezing on them. I have had it happen just under 10 times now, I think it has to do with using the guide frequently then trying to do something in the menu. Its quite odd and very annoying because I have to restart my xbox and it takes so long to load up into TF2 itself.

I've had that problem too. I've also had problems with lag and staying in a game for more than one round (always getting booted.) I'm hoping playing with gaffers might help that.

Mojovonio

Banned
Do you guys have a scheduled game?

I just got in to it last night.

Holy fuck.

TF2 >>>>>>>> Halo 3.

I even had so much fun as a Medic!

joeposh

Mojovonio said:
Do you guys have a scheduled game?

I just got in to it last night.

Holy fuck.

TF2 >>>>>>>> Halo 3.

I even had so much fun as a Medic!

TF2 is amazing, and quite addicting. Considering the limited number of maps, it's really impressive that it's replay value seems to so unbounded. I used to play the original back when I had Quake II for the PC, and this game just builds on those wonderful memories.

That being said, I hear you guys on the high degree of frustration due to the lack of team work. I think it's getting better, as people seem to be getting the fact that they need to start communicating and being strategic when choosing their class. I had some awesome games last night where everyone on my squad was working together, and coordinating their actions. The confusion on the other team as we all rushed their last remaining capture point as spys, fried their turrets and then knifed half their squad in a matter of moments was priceless (a strange, but apparently sound response to their reliance on engineers and snipers).

Of course, there are still some people who don't get it. In one round of sudden death in CTF, a sniper had a chance to cap a heavy who had the intell on the bridge. Instead of picking his shot, and letting other team mates know his position, he tried to chase him down and as a result walked right into a pyro flamefest. With a man down, and no indication of the intell's position, the heavy easily got away. Obviously, it's no big deal, but hopefully that guy learned to think about how his class measures up against a heavy and why he should let his team mates know the deal.

joeposh said:
That being said, I hear you guys on the high degree of frustration due to the lack of team work. I think it's getting better, as people seem to be getting the fact that they need to start communicating and being strategic when choosing their class. I had some awesome games last night where everyone on my squad was working together, and coordinating their actions. The confusion on the other team as we all rushed their last remaining capture point as spys, fried their turrets and then knifed half their squad in a matter of moments was priceless (a strange, but apparently sound response to their reliance on engineers and snipers).

Getting put into a room full of competent players is pretty hit or miss. One day you'll be in a team that plays godly, another day you'll be in a room full of morons trying to snipe people on the 2nd floor of 2fort with a heavy. :/

There was one room where there were nothing but really good players for hours. One person would drop and another great player would come in. This was during the 1st week of the games release. Haven't seen the guy host a match in a while though. His gt was BigMonster or something like that. The players in that room were godly.

JdFoX187

Banned
I like playing games against good, competent players. I played with Besada last week and did a shitty job as a Spy :( Was trying to figure out how to use him, never could get it to work properly. But, I ended up doing better with the heavy.

The only thing I hate is when you have a team that's all engineers or all heavies/demomen. Nothing worse than guys who do that. I wish there was some way the host could put a limit on how many people could use a certain class.

joeposh

JdFoX187 said:
I like playing games against good, competent players. I played with Besada last week and did a shitty job as a Spy :( Was trying to figure out how to use him, never could get it to work properly. But, I ended up doing better with the heavy.

The only thing I hate is when you have a team that's all engineers or all heavies/demomen. Nothing worse than guys who do that. I wish there was some way the host could put a limit on how many people could use a certain class.

A team that lacks balance is one that is vulnerable for attack. While taking out a ton of sentry guns might be annoying, the combo of a good demo and a spy can do it with relative ease, leaving the rest of the squad with the ability to bum rush them. Demos and heavies are sluggish, so a few rockets and steady aimed snipers will clear them out. Plus, whenever you pack your team with only a few classes, you're begging for a rush of spies to create a clamor of chaos.

JdFoX187

Banned
joeposh said:
A team that lacks balance is one that is vulnerable for attack. While taking out a ton of sentry guns might be annoying, the combo of a good demo and a spy can do it with relative ease, leaving the rest of the squad with the ability to bum rush them. Demos and heavies are sluggish, so a few rockets and steady aimed snipers will clear them out. Plus, whenever you pack your team with only a few classes, you're begging for a rush of spies to create a clamor of chaos.
Well for that, you need a coordinated team. Something that's usually lacking online. I usually play as a Medic, Heavy or Demoman because I'm good at them. But, if we have a lack of engineers or another class, I'll switch to them no problem. If you don't have a coordinated team, and you're facing against a team of Heavies and Engineers, you're screwed.

joeposh

JdFoX187 said:
Well for that, you need a coordinated team. Something that's usually lacking online. I usually play as a Medic, Heavy or Demoman because I'm good at them. But, if we have a lack of engineers or another class, I'll switch to them no problem. If you don't have a coordinated team, and you're facing against a team of Heavies and Engineers, you're screwed.

True, and as I said, I've been fortunate lately in so far as the majority of the games I've been in feature players who not only communicate but are willing to switch around to fit the needs of the map/match up (with a scarcity of jackasses who feel like they have to command everyone). Just keep track of the good players you come across and look for them in the future... or don't waste your time with a game that clearly is full of one man of run and gunners.

I look forward to getting a taste of a GAF-centric game, as thus far it's just been my old roomie and randoms.

JdFoX187

Banned
joeposh said:
True, and as I said, I've been fortunate lately in so far as the majority of the games I've been in feature players who not only communicate but are willing to switch around to fit the needs of the map/match up (with a scarcity of jackasses who feel like they have to command everyone). Just keep track of the good players you come across and look for them in the future... or don't waste your time with a game that clearly is full of one man of run and gunners.

I look forward to getting a taste of a GAF-centric game, as thus far it's just been my old roomie and randoms.
What's your GT? Perhaps we can get something set up with Mmarsu and Besada.

All right, let's try this on for size:

GAF TF2 Game - Thursday 10/25 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

I can host if need be, but my connection is a little problematic at times. If anyone wants to volunteer a good connection for hosting purposes, that would be great. Also, whoever hosts needs some free space on their friends list because I think you need to have everyone on it to run a more or less private game.

Players:
Cornballer
MasterFox187
Thermite
thechapel
WWGray4
halfemptyfilms
joeposh
A 12IN
Zen Warrior24
Mojo Zomg
Cerrius

joeposh

JdFoX187 said:
What's your GT? Perhaps we can get something set up with Mmarsu and Besada.

My gamertag is joeposh (I'm very creative), my work hours can be a bit erratic, but I'm usually free to get on around 10 pm eastern.

Edit: also, I'm interested in the thursday game but can't host because I'm on craptastic DSL.

JdFoX187

Banned
I'm in for Thursday. Don't know about hosting. Besada has hosted our games, never had any lag. Might talk him into it. My host is shitty with 16 players.

I added you joeposh. My gt is MasterFox187

Thermite

Cornballer said:

I can host if need be, but my connection is a little problematic at times. If anyone wants to volunteer a good connection for hosting purposes, that would be great. Also, whoever hosts needs some free space on their friends list because I think you need to have everyone on it to run a more or less private game.

Players:
Cornballer
MasterFox187

I'm in! I'm not too confident that I could host a match with no lag, so I'll leave that to you or someone else. :p

plaidtopia | plaidtopia | GMT-8 (PST)

Can't make it for Thursday (I work), but am on most mornings until about noon my time. Love the game and can't get enough.

joeposh said:

As said old roomie, I take issue with your face.

I'm planning about 6-8 hours today though, so I should get better and be ready to slay. Also, if I'm involved in any GAF games, I'll likely play medic so people like me. lawls

chapel

Banned
Cornballer said:

Players:
Cornballer
MasterFox187
Thermite

Im up for it. GT is thechapel. I have hosted a few 12 man matches with no lag, haven't tried 16 man. But I think I would be last resort on hosting if there are others with better connections. I would like to potentially reserve a slot for my bother though, GT is A 12IN (it used to be A 12IN DONGER, but after almost 2 years xbox live finally tells him to change it or he cant log in.)

I updated the OP and the tag list for Thursday. Again, I'm happy to host, but there's no guarantee that my connection will hold up. :/

Sho Nuff

Banned
I'm hosting for the next 12 hours or so via my 100mbit fiberoptic connection in Tokyo. Gamertag McWild, lemme know if it's smooth or not.

Cornballer said:

Players:
Cornballer
MasterFox187
Thermite
thechapel
WWGray4
halfemptyfilms
joeposh

Ah finally! I'm definitely in. I'll try to host with my 4Mb line, but TF2 doesn't seem to like me(no problem with other games). Tried hosting a 16 player room and it seems to lag for people in the East Coast. I'll give it a shot and test it out today though.

GT: Zen Warrior24

If you add me, please add a text message saying "gaf" or "gaffer" so I know who it is.

Also, maybe we should have some kind of self imposed class limit like in the pc thread. Having everyone as an engineer or spy really gets annoying and class limit will help diversify the playing field. My suggestions:

2 snipers
2 heavy
2 spies
3 engineers
3 soldiers
3 demomen
3 scouts
3 pyro
4 medics

Sho Nuff said:
I'm hosting for the next 12 hours or so via my 100mbit fiberoptic connection in Tokyo. Gamertag McWild, lemme know if it's smooth or not.

Add me GT: Zen Warrior24. Im at work but I should be home in time to catch the 11th hour. Will there be Japanese players? Always wanted to play against them.

Also, mods can you change the thread title to say Official XBOX 360 TF2 Gamertag Roundup and Discussion thread. It gets tiring running through the official PC thread looking for 360 comments.

Masta_Killah said:
Also, maybe we should have some kind of self imposed class limit like in the pc thread. Having everyone as an engineer or spy really gets annoying and class limit will help diversify the playing field. My suggestions:

2 snipers
2 heavy
2 spies
3 engineers
3 soldiers
3 demomen
3 scouts
3 pyro
4 medics

Good call, Masta. Like I said, I'm happy to be a medic. I think three might be sufficient--one for each heavy and a floating one.

Top Bottom