• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official 360 Thread - Gamertag Roundup

In case you guys missed this on Digg...

pic_11936009173448.jpg

Fuck this game is still lagging. I thought that patched fixed at least the major lag issues but it's still prevalent. I went from slight problems yesterday morning, to game breaking lag today. It as gotten progressively worst. Im about to give up on this game. The lag is just horrendous. I now get random disconnects, lobby freezing, load freezing, and the game lags or freezes when someone joins or quits a match in 16 player matches. WTF was that patch supposed to fix! The game is now far worst then it was before. There better be a new patch on the works because if this shit isn't addressed, the community is going to bail and leave and head over to CoD4 and Halo 3. This game is a blast and I love the frantic pace, but this shit is just too much.

/rant

KBox

I played last night after the update. I had a lot of fun with the Engineer. The game is smooth as butter with 12 players or less.

HOWEVER, 16 player matches is a slideshow.

I also noticed that there weren't that many people on, not too many rooms. I think people have started to give up on it already, but I'm having fun with it.

JdFoX187

Banned
KBox said:
I played last night after the update. I had a lot of fun with the Engineer. The game is smooth as butter with 12 players or less.

HOWEVER, 16 player matches is a slideshow.

I also noticed that there weren't that many people on, not too many rooms. I think people have started to give up on it already, but I'm having fun with it.
There's something wrong with the matchmaking search. I've had times where it says no rooms are available. There are more out there, it's just whether the game is finding them or not.

Played some 16 player matches before on a good host, no lag whatsoever. In fact, I have yet to run into a laggy game.

ToyMachine228 said:
So when's the next GAF TF2 game boys?

This Thursday probably, around 7:30~ pst. We'll need to set up more then 1-2 rooms though, as some gaffers got left out last week. Hopefully we don't have the host disconnect like the first game last week. I was in 2nd place too and we only needed 1 more point to win. :(

ToyMachine228 said:
So when's the next GAF TF2 game boys?
I'm going to set up another one for Thursday at 7:30PT/10:30ET. I'll start gathering tags on Tuesday or Wednesday to get it set up. If anyone wants to organize one for earlier or later this week, you're more than welcome to do it.

immy said:
really, i'll pass on orange box for now then.

I really think the amount of lag you get is more of a YMMV kind of thing. It's still there every once in awhile for me, but I actually seek out 16 player games now, and most of the time stay in them. It's been alot better after the patch for me so who knows.

But like Cerrius said, this is just one piece of the pie. The rest of it is quite good really. :lol

Yeah, the lag is basically only in games with idiot hosts... I try to stick to 8 and 12 person games, just to ensure that it doesn't kill the game.

Hammer

JdFoX187 said:
In fact, I have yet to run into a laggy game.

I'm in the same boat. I've played numerous full 16 man matches since the patch, with only 1 real instance of any lag.

Unfortunately, since the patch I have frozen several times, usually upon leaving the match or changing game settings. Though this is arguably better than intermittent lag in the middle of a game, I'm surprised by yet another large over site (something I did not expect to even happen once from this team, granted this is their first heavy console release.)

I'm just eager to hear of another patch in the works... I'm not ready to give up yet!

I've been playing a lot of huge games and theres been almost no lag and I'm on a wifi connection. The patch has really fixed the game.

KarishBHR

I would love to play with some GAFers now that I got the game. I could host games from my college t1 connection.

GT: On the Rochks

Hammer

MutFox said:
A bunch of my stats were reset for some reason... :/

That happened to me after the update as well, but after a series of games, they were back to their original standing. Give it a day or two, hopefully they'll be back.

Got my Team Doctor achievement tonight. I'll definitely try to play with everyone Thursday night. By that time I should be available. I'm at about 200 kills over about 4 hours of gamplay. An hour and a half of which is as a Medic. I've got 15 of my 20 wins for Dynasty.

Ramirez

I haven't really played this in a while, but the one night I did, I played for about 5 hours and didn't experience any lag, I stuck to 12 player games, might have had something to do with it.

Ramirez said:
I haven't really played this in a while, but the one night I did, I played for about 5 hours and didn't experience any lag, I stuck to 12 player games, might have had something to do with it.

The problem is usually in the 16 player games. It sucks too, since you get to see what TF2 is really about. 7v7 isn't bad, but the fun of the game is the mayhem and that usually happens in a 8v8, when everyone just goes ape shit. Im gonna stick to <7v7 until Valve patches this shit up. I can't stand the disconnects and lag anymore.

JavaMava

GillaMobster | JavaMava | -4 hours

just reading the post above mine, but if theres a game on Thursday count me in.... what time?

Safe Bet

Banned
TF2 seems like it could be fun as hell but the shitacular quality of Valve's attempt at a console based online service keeps me from turning my rental into a purchase.

In all honesty the "amateur feel" of TF2's online service is a shock considering how highly Valve gets prasied around here...

I've played budget games that lagged less and offered more community features.

GAF TF2 Game - Thursday 11/1 - 7:30PT/10:30ET

Not sure who's hosting this time around. Might be Besada again if he's up for it, but it could be that with the new patch we have a lot more options. If there's enough interest, we can also run more than one room. Be sure to post your gamertag if you want in.

Players:
Cornballer (?)
GillaMobster
halfemptyfilms
RyanGCH
WWGray4
Decamus
Hammer0982
Akujin Alastor
FoldedCash
Br3akabone
thechapel

fallout

I accidentally clicked on this thread thinking it was the PC one (preview of the online forum).

Safe Bet said:
TF2 seems like it could be fun as hell but the shitacular quality of Valve's attempt at a console based online service keeps me from turning my rental into a purchase.

In all honesty the "amateur feel" of TF2's online service is a shock considering how highly Valve gets prasied around here...

I've played budget games that lagged less and offered more community features.
This is really disheartening to hear. TF2 has been one of the one of the best online shooters I've played in years. I don't want this to turn into a stupid PC vs. Console debate, but I'm just saying that it's been great on PC and I really do feel bad that they didn't get their shit together for the 360 version.

Safe Bet

Banned
fallout said:
I accidentally clicked on this thread thinking it was the PC one (preview of the online forum).

This is really disheartening to hear. TF2 has been one of the one of the best online shooters I've played in years. I don't want this to turn into a stupid PC vs. Console debate, but I'm just saying that it's been great on PC and I really do feel bad that they didn't get their shit together for the 360 version.
I've been playing alot the last two days and all I can say is...

If you are going to buy the 360 version of The Orange Box mainly for TF2, don't.

The lag makes it virtually unplayable...

I shudder to think what the PS3 version will perform like...

Probably just display a pic of Gabe pointing and laughing while waving your $60 in the air?

d:-s

Thermite

JdFoX187 said:
The lag problems are overrated. I've had no lag at all.

Count me in for tomorrow as well.

I haven't encountered any lag since the update either, it's been silky smooth for me. Even the "twitchy" moves I would see on a relatively lag-free map, before the update, is gone now.

JdFoX187 said:

No its not. And you're in the minority. Everyday, after work, I log on and I usually get lag 25% of the time. Everyone that I've played with still experiences some form of lag and it seems to be the same problem. It usually happens when people jump in or out of a current match. It sucks and really frustrating. But the good news(if you call it that) is that the lag seems to happen in >14 player matches. Im hoping Valve addresses this issue very soon.

As many have said, it probably is due to the host having shitty connections, but the players can't do anything about it. The filtering system sucks. Even if you connect to a host with full green bars, you still experience lag.

That is another thing that irks me about TF2. There is no way to filter out shitty connections and prioritize good connections like in H3. The game is barebones for online features. No custom map cycle, no prioritization options, not even a fucking refresh option when searching for a match. What kind of developer doesn't allow a search to be refreshed when looking for matches? That shit is just unaccetable.

But even with all these flaws, I just can't pull away from TF2....yet. The game is just too fun and addictive. But every passing day these flaws aren't addressed is one day closer to me shelving the game completely, something that I don't want to do but am forced to do.

Safe Bet

Banned
JdFoX187 said:

I am not exaggerating when I say, everyone I talk to in game bitches about the lag...

Its strange you haven't experienced it.

Do you work for Valve or any other company with ties to The Orange Box?

Sho Nuff

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
No its not. And you're in the minority. Everyday, after work, I log on and I usually get lag 25% of the time. Everyone that I've played with still experiences some form of lag and it seems to be the same problem. It usually happens when people jump in or out of a current match. It sucks and really frustrating. But the good news(if you call it that) is that the lag seems to happen in >14 player matches. Im hoping Valve addresses this issue very soon.

I've had very smooth connections since the update, but I do agree the interface is pretty atrocious. I want to be able to set up my Xbox 360 as a dedicated server before I go to work :(

Fortunately Valve seems to give a shit about their audience, so I think there's at least a slight chance of some improvement. Let's hope they treat 360 people as well as they treat PC people. Do they have a 360 community manager?

JdFoX187

Banned
Safe Bet said:
I am not exaggerating when I say, everyone I talk to in game bitches about the lag...

Do you work for Valve or any other company with ties to The Orange Box?
No, I just play casually. When I search for a game, I look for a good host. I have yet to experience any lag. In fact, I was afraid about playing Team Fortress 2 because of a handful of people on here complaining about it. I don't see what the complaints are about. You were complaining a lot about lag in Halo 3 as well. So I wonder if it's just your connection. Mine isn't great, but I just don't see the lag problems you and Mastah Killer experience.

Hammer

Safe Bet said:

Do you guys play at 'off' hours for your region? This is the only other reason I can think for so many of us having consistently different experiences. Though I have played several lag-free Chinese and Korean games as well, so that may just throw that theory out the window...

For myself, since the first evening of the patch, my annoying TF2 freezes seem to have disappeared as well.

And a little off topic, if you guys haven't ran through in developer commentary mode, I highly recommend it. I did this last night, and I found it very amusing.

Hammer said:
Do you guys play at 'off' hours for your region? This is the only other reason I can think for so many of us having consistently different experiences. Though I have played several lag-free Chinese and Korean games as well, so that may just throw that theory out the window...

For myself, since the first evening of the patch, my annoying TF2 freezes seem to have disappeared as well.

And a little off topic, if you guys haven't ran through in developer commentary mode, I highly recommend it. I did this last night, and I found it very amusing.

Log on at 6~pm pst everyday. I get lag, and lots of it. Just out of curiousity, what type of connection are you guys running? I have a cable line with a 4~down/400~up connection. Im pretty sure the reason why I lag is because there are east coast players playing at that time. Im going to have to try and see if playing at a later time in the west will improve the lag issues.

I like the dev commentary for TF2. The design decisions and reasoning for certain things was really interesting.

Safe Bet

Banned
Sweet pancakes and gravy! This game is fun when its running properly...

I'm crossing my fingers in hopes my run of good hosts doesn't end.

*cross fingers*

Anyone else having problems overcoming teams that use Engineers really well?

PS

To you guys not seeing lag, you're in the vast minority.

Just ask your fellow players what their experience has been like...

PSS

I think my connection is something like 6 down 2 up.

Top Bottom