• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javaman

2you5ab.jpg

Whatdog.

Pet found this. So strange. Both are on the same IP, but with different ports. Maybe it's a phishing server.:lol :lol :lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Javaman said:
2you5ab.jpg

Whatdog.

Pet found this. So strange. Both are on the same IP, but with different ports. Maybe it's a phishing server.:lol :lol :lol
Odd...

Maybe it's bizzaro GAF server run by Americanoman, with admins: Master, Shiro Madoushi, VERYl33t, Twig

n0b

AcciDante said:
Nob is my mortal foe on the gaf server. Dominated me so many times tonight :(

NO! I was your friend see? :D
2zp1dlx.jpg

oh wait.. D:

34in09y.jpg

Cajole is a great medic. Also, you would think the stack would have been the other way around.

Boonoo

n0b said:
NO! I was your friend see? :D

Cajole is a great medic. Also, you would think the stack would have been the other way around.

That really doesn't even look like a stack; other than you, n0b, the points are pretty even; the dominations are pretty even, too.

Edit: The wins are pretty even, too! This is perhaps the least stacked scoreboard I've ever seen.

Blizzard

Banned
Boonoo said:
That really doesn't even look like a stack; other than you, n0b, the points are pretty even; the dominations are pretty even, too.

Edit: The wins are pretty even, too! This is perhaps the least stacked scoreboard I've ever seen.
We got revenge against n0b (at which point someone started complaining because we didn't scramble in the reverse direction). Those weren't the games where it was as stacked, though. Earlier, I think the engineer leading one team may have had more points (55ish) than the entire other team combined, and the normal double/triple score ratio was in effect.

Later, there was another roll, followed by a new map, and I think about 6-8 of the blu players joined (or ended up on) blu team yet AGAIN, ending up with the top ten players having at least double (a few triple?) their matching equivalents on the other team.

So then I scrambled (having taken two polls about scrambling in two different maps, both of which passed), at which point one of the two top players who were working together (heavy medic / soldier medic? gypsy davey or something like that) apparently switched so they were on the same team again, and dominated yet again, and n0b told me scramble never works. :lol

I claim scramble can when people don't switch back. :mad:

Twig

Banned
Blizzard said:
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry crycry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry crycry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry crycry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry crycry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Hush.

Volcynika

I enjoy throwing jarate at people over and over. And I got drops of weapons I have multiple copies of. And I have no idea where to start with crafting because I've never done it.

fffffffffuuuuu

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Volcynika said:
I enjoy throwing jarate at people over and over. And I got drops of weapons I have multiple copies of. And I have no idea where to start with crafting because I've never done it.

fffffffffuuuuu
I'm not crafting anything until the polycount update happens. The new weapons will probably be craftable from other stuff.

Volcynika said:

fffffffffuuuuu

http://www.tf2items.com/crafting/blueprints.php

Non-achivement items (fan-contributed mostly) have unique crafting recipes that require very little, but otherwise don't waste your materials trying to craft achievement-granted items.

As said above too, keep your extra stuff, since there's going to be an update soon, and the new items will probably be craftable out of simple combinations.

Other than that, it's just a long, painful process of trying to get hats. There was going to be a tiered weapons system, which makes the addition of a crafting system make more sense, but they couldn't get the balancing right.

So it's pretty much smelt crap for weeks, roll dice, get Baseball Bill's Sports Shine "hat", scream.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am 2/3rds of the way to making a hat. Most likely, I will just end up with a duplicate to the one hat I do have, some spiffy looking spy hat.

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
So then I scrambled (having taken two polls about scrambling in two different maps, both of which passed), at which point one of the two top players who were working together (heavy medic / soldier medic? gypsy davey or something like that) apparently switched so they were on the same team again, and dominated yet again, and n0b told me scramble never works. :lol

I claim scramble can when people don't switch back. :mad:

Yeah, I agree with that. Switching back to continue a roll is a jerk move.

Javaman

Drkirby said:
I am 2/3rds of the way to making a hat. Most likely, I will just end up with a duplicate to the one hat I do have, some spiffy looking spy hat.

That is exactly what happened to me. I've got 2 spy wigs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Javaman said:
That is exactly what happened to me. I've got 2 spy wigs.
You could craft them into 1 hat if you don't like the wig at all.

Though you could just end up with 1 wig instead of 2.

Javaman

Drkirby said:

That would be my luck. I did at one point craft a shine and a baseball helmet into a derby. Totally worth it.

I think that on the GAF server, the 'team stax' card gets pulled a little too soon sometimes.

This accusation takes the fun out of both winning and losing.

Even if one team beats another by a large margin, it doesn't automatically mean that teams are stacked. (Especially with people leaving or joining the game half-way through.)

Blizzard

Banned
Drkirby said:

I thought they at least fixed it so crafting two hats is guaranteed to give you something different than those two...

perryfarrell said:
I think that on the GAF server, the 'team stax' card gets pulled a little too soon sometimes.

This accusation takes the fun out of both winning and losing.

Even if one team beats another by a large margin, it doesn't automatically mean that teams are stacked. (Especially with people leaving or joining the game half-way through.)
When people say it early they're usually joking about it. I agree though, if one team has double or triple the scores then clearly they're not stacked, they're just...misaligned. :lol

I don't mind being on the losing team sometimes. I switched to try to help the losing team after the well thing I mentioned earlier, and we ended up finally winning one (I believe I dominated one of the two players who had switched back to the same team). It can be frustrating sometimes if you actually decide to work really hard and you lose after 20 minutes on a map you don't like anyway, though. Even people like me and the noble Javamonger might be known to quit in similar circumstances!

But then again, I don't mind giving people practice at pubstomps sometimes, I guess, so my opinion may not count. :lol

If you're winning & someone says: teams are stacked, then apparently you didn't win fairly.

And if you're losing & someone says: teams are stacked, I'm like 'Dude have you given up on us already? I want another shot at it.'

Blizzard

Banned
perryfarrell said:
If you're winning & someone says: teams are stacked, then apparently you didn't win fairly.

And if you're losing & someone says: teams are stacked, I'm like 'Dude have you given up on us already? I want another shot at it.'
That's why there's a vote -- people who want another shot at it (i.e. people on the winning team) can ask for that.

And about winning unfairly -- there's no enforced class limits, and everyone stayed in the rules of the game, so you win fairly in that sense, but sometimes it's winning "fairly" in the sense of an exhibition game between a major league baseball team and a university baseball team. :p

DogWelder

I'd say half the time a team gets rolled it's class mismanagement and not unbalanced teams. Yesterday on a payload map we got rolled because we had 4 medics, 3 pyros and 0 engies on defense. And on cp_steel we had 5 pyros on D. :\

moojito

I think I'm at the golden stage of newb-ness with this game where I know a bit about the classes, and some good spots on maps to rack up a few kills, but not familiar enough with the game to be able to spot, let alone get annoyed by teammates failing. I wish that would never change!

In fairness, the HH servers seem pretty good for us UK folks, until someone gets the finger out and cranks up a UK gaf server!

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
esc said:
I'd say half the time a team gets rolled it's class mismanagement and not unbalanced teams. Yesterday on a pipeline map we got rolled because we had 4 medics, 3 pyros and 0 engies on defense. And on cp_steel we had 5 pyros on D. :\
I feel very bad for you.

DogWelder

Jangaroo said:
I feel very bad for you.
Sarcasm or not, you shouldn't. I'm quite stubborn so if people won't switch, I don't either. Feel bad for Java, he was the only one who gave half a shit.

Edit: Meant to say payload map, not pipeline.

esc said:
I'm quite stubborn so if people won't switch, I don't either.

That makes a whole lot of sense.

If everyone on the team thinks like that, the team will keep losing.

I love it, a team with 9 snipers, and everyone thinks: if they don't switch, I won't either.

Blizzard

Banned
perryfarrell said:

I love it, a team with 9 snipers, and everyone thinks: if they don't switch, I won't either.
We had 3-4 people vs. four snipers (three huntsman, one sniper?) and lost all three pipeline maps last night. :lol One guy was trying to use a backburner against them. It didn't work out too well. I can't remember if you were there or not.

DogWelder

perryfarrell said:

I knew someone would say this. I was playing the lone demo and asked if the pyros would be willing to switch to a heavy class and received no reply. I wasn't going to switch to medic/heavy with no support.

Jangaroo

No sarcasm on my part. I'm not very competitive so I don't mind losing unless we're getting steamrolled. If we put up a good fight and last until the last few minutes or so when defending that's just fine with me. What does make me RAAGE FUUUUUUU is when everyone on my team goes 4 spies and 4 snipers with no heavies or medics and expects me to go medic when they suck at sniping. Grrrrr.

DogWelder

Jangaroo said:
No sarcasm on my part. I'm not very competitive so I don't mind losing unless we're getting steamrolled. If we put up a good fight and last until the last few minutes or so when defending that's just fine with me. What does make me RAAGE FUUUUUUU is when everyone on my team goes 4 spies and 4 snipers with no heavies or medics and expects me to go medic when they suck at sniping. Grrrrr.
Yep, this is exactly what I meant. Otherwise I'm always willing to play medic.

rar

i just dont like people who join as a team of 3 or 4, like gypsy davey and legendary medic, and just dominate. its like, we get it, you can pub stomp with your competitive friends, now leave, join different teams, or play something other than soldier/medic/demo/heavy

Blizzard

Banned
rar said:
i just dont like people who join as a team of 3 or 4, like gypsy davey and legendary medic, and just dominate. its like, we get it, you can pub stomp with your competitive friends, now leave, join different teams, or play something other than soldier/medic/demo/heavy
Well those two were the ones in question. Yes they could dominate, but one also apparently switched back to counteract the team scramble. It's one thing if you get autobalanced, I don't really have a problem with people switching. It's another thing for people to change at the start of a round after a scramble.

Also, there were those three people (the illusive fuck man, what the fuck man, etc.) who joined and then played double medic/heavy. A couple of them had lots of points, but they were doing double medic healing and hardly helping anyone else so it really hurt the team too, unless other people wanted to try to go medic to make up for it. :lol

At any rate, it's just a game and I should rage less.

rar

Blizzard said:
Well those two were the ones in question. Yes they could dominate, but one also apparently switched back to counteract the team scramble. It's one thing if you get autobalanced, I don't really have a problem with people switching. It's another thing for people to change at the start of a round after a scramble.

Also, there were those three people (the illusive fuck man, what the fuck man, etc.) who joined and then played double medic/heavy. A couple of them had lots of points, but they were doing double medic healing and hardly helping anyone else so it really hurt the team too, unless other people wanted to try to go medic to make up for it. :lol

At any rate, it's just a game and I should rage less.

i find it frustrating too, and i try my best to balance it out but I AM ONLY ONE MAN

clone me

Jangaroo

rar said:
i find it frustrating too, and i try my best to balance it out but I AM ONLY ONE MAN

clone me
No way, clone me. We all know the best counter to any class is the sniper.

Javaman

AcciDante said:
I didn't know that steam has an internet browser! :lol Now I can browse gaf while I wait for someone to leave the server....

One nifty thing too is to leave autojoin on in the background than join another server. As soon as a slot opens up you'll automatically bounce over to the server you want.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
moojito said:
I think I'm at the golden stage of newb-ness with this game where I know a bit about the classes, and some good spots on maps to rack up a few kills, but not familiar enough with the game to be able to spot, let alone get annoyed by teammates failing. I wish that would never change!

In fairness, the HH servers seem pretty good for us UK folks, until someone gets the finger out and cranks up a UK gaf server!
As a pryo, I feel the opposite. I have no clue how to rack up kills, but running around trying to catch the enemy off guard gives me a good since of where both teams stand. Also, IMO the only way to ever bust though a hardpoint is with a Heavy, or a Medic Ubering someone. If you have crappy/no Heavys, or a Medic who aren't very good, you are not getting though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom