• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Fortress 2 Official PC Thread. SO. WORTH. IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnone

Harvest always lowers my FPS pretty significantly, I'm not sure why that map is so technically demanding. I haven't played it in a while though, maybe it's the fog effects (if those are even present)?

Proven

barnone said:
Harvest always lowers my FPS pretty significantly, I'm not sure why that map is so technically demanding. I haven't played it in a while though, maybe it's the fog effects (if those are even present)?
It's a problem many have. Apparently (at least in the initial version of the event map, don't know if changed) the ghost that pops up is a super high definition model that's always present on the map, just underneath the ground when not in view. So people could just walk around and suddenly get a drop because the ghost is right under them.

Javaman

MNC said:
How the fuck can anybody hate harvest. It's one of the few newer maps that remain awesome throughout. The latest batch of maps is pretty cool as well (thundermountain,hightower et al)

Don't really care for most community maps, like steel or coldfront.

My dislike of a map is directly related to how good the other team is doing.

Javaman

moojito said:
Is pyro still a good class for a newbie to go with? I tried medic, but unless there's a heavy on the team, everyone seems to go from full -> dead instantly regardless of whether I'm healing them or not.

Pyro is tougher to play (effectively) then many people give it credit for. Sure you can light people on fire, but to really make a difference you've got to spy check all the time and use the airblast to put people out and block ubers. I'd say it's more of an intermediate class.

Those players aren't playing very effectively. They should be falling back to the medic to get healed instead of rushing into a slaughter. That helps the uber charge faster and give the enemies more targets to avoid. The only thing more aggravating for me as a medic than spy backstabs are people bitching that they don't get healed while they keep dying because they stay in the line of fire. When there's other people who are injured it might take some time to get to you.

Boonoo

Javaman said:
Pyro is tougher to play (effectively) then many people give it credit for. Sure you can light people on fire, but to really make a difference you've got to spy check all the time and use the airblast to put people out and block ubers. I'd say it's more of an intermediate class.

Yeah, pyro has gotten a bit trickier. Heavy has gotten a easier (too easy! nerf heavies).

Rather than picking an easy class, though; rotating through all of them and getting a feel for what you like (and then giving him your attention) is my main advice.

Proven

No. Heavy is fine the way he is. Seriously, I can't figure if all the Natasha hate I'm hearing around the competitive scene is similar to the Steam user forums, or the inclusion of the Sandman.

They need to somehow stop rocket jumping with the Wrangler. Gravelpit with sentry farms and Frontier Justice wielding engies in the hallways outside the spawn = not fun.

Though getting revenge on the fuckers with the soldier's suicide taunt as they rushed inside made it worth it.

firex

What did they do to make natascha powerful? Every time I use it I just find myself getting less kills or assists compared to sasha.

Javaman

firex said:
What did they do to make natascha powerful? Every time I use it I just find myself getting less kills or assists compared to sasha.

The heavy as a whole got a buff by reducing his movement penalty.

Blizzard

Banned
firex said:
They're basically just scouts complaining because there's a way to hit them. :lol Even with Natascha I have an awful time hitting crazylegs jumping scouts sometimes.

But yeah, if Boonoo is slaughtering my team with scout, I sometimes go Natascha. Even if we don't win, it's a reasonable way to irritate him. It's also a nice way to occasionally catch medics who think they can run away in time.

Basically, some people like scouts or other classes and want heavies nerfed. Other people like heavy and want it not nerfed. It's a circle of liiiiiiife!

firex

yeah, I know. but when I use natascha all I notice is that I don't kill things any faster and it doesn't help against most targets.

The thing about Natascha Heavies is that despite the wider spread of the miniguns (even though I know they tightened it a bit recently), some Heavies can hit you with practically every bullet out of their gun, and the slowdown effect isn't as restricted as the FAN's bullets. It completely kills any attempt to escape, especially if their ping lets them get a few extra shots when you're already around the corner.

EmCeeGramr said:
They need to somehow stop rocket jumping with the Wrangler. Gravelpit with sentry farms and Frontier Justice wielding engies in the hallways outside the spawn = not fun.

I was going to say you could do this before with a dispenser jump, but now I guess you could just have one engineer build a teleporter, and five more carry their sentries through the tele.

firex

yeah, I finally ran into some decent natascha heavies tonight playing on a DiG server for a few hours. Frustrating when I'm at low health because I can't escape, and I guess for the really low HP classes it's like instant death.

Yasae

Banned
EmCeeGramr said:

Though getting revenge on the fuckers with the soldier's suicide taunt as they rushed inside made it worth it.
They need to rebalance a lot of things with engineer - where they can place sentries in particular so Valve's maps don't get TOO broken, cause some of them are fucking broken to pieces with this update.

Drkirby said:
There are cupcakes in the dispenser? Do they know something we don't, like a new Heavy/Scout item :lol

It's clear who it'd be for.

Pretty Pink Cupcake
Level 3 Lunchbox Item

+Refills 75 HP for every bite
+No Cooldown
-Leaves pink frosting on mouth
-For every bite, your Shame meter fills until the Soldier feels too demoralized and suicides via grenade

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know if we're just the most awesome server ever, but I feel like I rarely see lots of engineers on a team anymore, especially on offense. Occasionally I'll see five on defense, but typically a couple will be gunslinger or something, and overall it doesn't seem to unbalance things. It seems we'll regularly only have one or two engineers struggling even with teleporters.

If a server gets five really GOOD engineers with level 3 sentries, then sure, things might be unbalanced in some places. I've only even seen one sentry spot that everyone seemed to have trouble with, and that was Lemmy sentry-rocket jumping onto the roof overlooking the second Cashworks point (and of course that's a community map anyway).

n0b

Blizzard said:
If a server gets five really GOOD engineers with level 3 sentries, then sure, things might be unbalanced in some places. I've only even seen one sentry spot that everyone seemed to have trouble with, and that was Lemmy sentry-rocket jumping onto the roof overlooking the second Cashworks point (and of course that's a community map anyway).
Which roof is that?

I've never seen a wrangler jumping sentry point that is worth anything, and the time it takes to set it up means if the other team is any good at all they should get the first point that much quicker and then just have more time to deal with the "special" engineer spot.

Javaman

n0b said:
Which roof is that?

I've never seen a wrangler jumping sentry point that is worth anything, and the time it takes to set it up means if the other team is any good at all they should get the first point that much quicker and then just have more time to deal with the "special" engineer spot.

If it's the spot where I saw Lem building before it's at the top of the building at the top of the hill after the first CP, before the track turns to the right to go downhill. Kind of a pointless spot considering the building to the right provides more cover and ammo on the roof is nonexistant. Not to mention that any sentries or buildings there are rocket launcher fodder without risk to the soldier.

We heard n0b's real voice last night. :eek:O
Unless it was a soundboard of crazy n0b sounds.

What do you guys think of building here on Gravel Pit?

fkseb8.jpg
[/IMG]

Javaman

Dreams-Visions said:
soldier will eat that shit alive.

Exactly. There's not enough time to get anything useful built before the enemies start streaming out.

Most of the crazy engineer spots I see are only good for a couple of surprise kills. Certainly not worth the hassle at the expense of helping out the team with a more useful spot.

Sciz

I'd think the better use for sentry jumping on defense would be for stealth teleports. Drop one out of sight up high early on and let your team's spy go nuts.

MNC

Sciz said:
I'd think the better use for sentry jumping on defense would be for stealth teleports. Drop one out of sight up high early on and let your team's spy go nuts.
That would be neat.... But you can't carry your teleporter when you're rocket jumping. that's nigh impossible (though technically possible if you place everything really close together)

MNC

Sciz said:
Who said anything about carrying? Just build one after you're there.

Okay, how come I didn't realize that until now? No seriously, what? That was a pretty stupid moment for me :(

Boonoo

Wallach said:
Looks like CEVO banned Natascha, the Wrangler and the Sandman for this season.

Link.

Yup! It'll be a good season. Sandman and Natascha are both a pain in the ass to play against, and Wrangler as it is could make final points a real drag (2 wrangler engies would be hard to move against with just 6). Probably the more overarching reason is that these three items slow down the pace of the game more than anything else.

The map list looks fun, too.

Preseason 1 - koth_ashville
Preseason 2 - cp_coldfront
Week 1 - cp_well
Week 2 - koth_viaduct
Week 3 - cp_prolane
Week 4 - cp_gullywash
Week 5 - cp_gravelpit
Week 6 - cp_granary
Week 7 - cp_badlands
Week 8 - cp_freight

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
Just what is this CEVO thing, and is there a GAF team?

Cevo hosts a bunch of different leagues for a range of games. For TF2 they have 3: Professional, Main, and Amateur.

Pet, Kuro and I were on a team in the Amateur league. It was pretty fun.

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
Could we make a large GAF team for the Amateur league for this season 6?

Well it's all 6v6, so usually you have your main 6 with a couple extras floating around. If teams get too big too many people end up not being able to play.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boonoo said:
Well it's all 6v6, so usually you have your main 6 with a couple extras floating around. If teams get too big too many people end up not being able to play.
So a 6-12 person team would most likely be best. Well, more then 10 would most likely be to many.

We could see how many people would want to participate, and split it into 2 teams if there is enough demand, or just group everyone into a single team. While I would most likely be a very bad choice to be one of the main people, I wouldn't mind floating.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
OOOO I'd be interested. I'm not working right now so I think I'll be reliable enough to play. No wait, this is just a hypothetical thing? Shucks.

Boonoo

Drkirby said:
So a 6-12 person team would most likely be best. Well, more then 10 would most likely be to many.

We could see how many people would want to participate, and split it into 2 teams if there is enough demand, or just group everyone into a single team. While I would most likely be a very bad choice to be one of the main people, I wouldn't mind floating.

Yeah, there'd probably only be enough for 1 team (core group and maybe a few alternates), and keep in mind that if your team doesn't practice pretty regularly things won't go all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom