• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Team Xbox NFL2k5 Review

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Good stuff, here's some quotes:

For one, the ability to break tackles as a running back has been reduced, which balances out the better running teams. On the default settings running still seems way too easy with most backs able to have 100+ yard games almost every time. Luckily everything is customizable, and we highly recommend upping the difficulty to keep the score reasonable. The Maximum Tackle feature helps to keep backs contained a little better, but it’s mostly the work of the developers in reducing the propensity of arm tackling that saves the day. The same goes for tweaks made when trying to make a catch as either a receiver or defender. This year, the odds are that a decent receiver will make the catch (as opposed to the drop fest last year), and only the best D backs will make an interception. The key to picks this year is the separate “interception” button, which makes playing defensive secondary a lot more fun. Keep in mind, however, that most secondary players still can’t catch, because if they could (say it with me now) they would be wide outs. VC really nailed the AI this time around, even keeping things like tipped balls and otherworldly corner play to a minimum. It will be difficult for EA to match the online offerings of ESPN NFL 2K5, downloadable V.I.P. profiles, online leagues with updated rosters, and Live aware support. The result, when considering the already solid online play and great presentation, is a title that Madden will have a hard time competing against.

ESPN NFL 2K5 has the best graphics that I have witnessed in a sports game to date. There is a difference between the gameplay graphics and the filler graphics however. The filler graphics such as the animation of the ESPN staff or the fans look pretty ho-hum. The graphics which are meant to replicate the same graphics used in ESPN broadcasts are fantastic, which helps out the mediocre cut-scene work. Where ESPN NFL 2K5 blasts into another dimension is on the field. Even gamers with crappy TVs will be absolutely floored at how amazing the textures are on the players and the fields. Each player is meticulously modeled and comes to life with the help of VC’s Triple Pass Technology which adds textures in a few layers, allowing them to be animated independently. The result is more realism in the uniforms which in turn makes the flawless animations look much more realistic. The sheer amount of animations is quite staggering as well, with new tackles popping up all of the time, or a slightly new run that shows an off-balance back. On top of the player animations and the stadium detail is a lighting/shadowing system that generates and extreme sense of realism, nearing what was recently seen in Riddick. All of the graphical glory does come at the small price of a touch of lag during hectic times and a few minor glitches when a new animation is being loaded after a play. This simply will not become an issue after laying eyes upon some of the most impressive graphics the Box has to offer. Did I happen to mention that even the fans look great?

BojTrek

Banned
I received my call from Gamespot that the game will be in tonight... I will call at lunch today to see if it is in...

If not, I will have to pick it up tomorrow... because tonight is Van Halen...

Top Bottom