• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

9f2DIHd.jpg

I made a ninja turtle!

That is awesome.

Any tips for a noob editor? I've got the double-tap to flip and the scale/rotation all sorted. Anything else?

Use the creation tool rather than premade stuff. You can be more elaborate with it. Like if you look at my chest, that is just one piece. When you create stuff, you can layer it and have some multicolor thing be just one piece as opposed to making individual pieces.

I just started playing around with it though. I'm not all that great. My girldfriend is a beast with it. She made wonderwoman

Lan_97

Playing through this now. It's fun, but it's not really clicking with me yet. The environments are beautiful and the platforming can be clever (though not exceptional), but I feel there is an overall lack of purpose. The story is presented in a way that everything is just made up as you go along and the collectibles just add to a currency that buys decorative paper shapes that you can make yourself anyways. Combined with the large emphasis on user created designs and photos, I feel very little attachment to the world presented in this game.

Also, I fight with the camera much more than I would like. It's locked too often when I want to look around and gets stuck easily.

Lijik

I beat the game earlier today. The first third is really charming, but I definitely took a lot of breaks between other games during it. When I got to the harbor though, I think the game really picks up (especially at the Wendigo Fissure - that level perfectly captures the old chase scenes from Crash Bandicoot imo). Its never more than moderately challenging but the atmosphere is so thick and surreal in the last third it more than makes up for it imo.

I just really loved the world design, the music and messing with the ingame papercraft, and taking photos everywhere I went and it all just clicked. I also kind of feel like the platforming and traversal moments are more satisfying than most of the adventure platformers from the ps1/n64 era which I never found to be more than average. I mean it definitely pales to something like Mario, but I didnt think they were poor at all. I thought all of the vita feature bits were well incorporated into the traversal - especially at the end when the tilt functions come in

I just dug everything about the game, even if its not exactly the best platformy thing i've ever played. Some of my favorite presentational touches were the "tears" as you got closer to the end, the raining ink, and how in the wide open areas the lighting would change as you wandered around. That last bit really gave those areas an air of being larger than they were to me without really having to do much.

Just overall a fantastic adventure, really my biggest complaint is it seems to be a little bit glitchy at times
tumblr_myqsh5gQMI1qejutxo1_1280.jpg

I wish the vita was doing better, i know a lot of people who want to play this game but arent going to because they cant justify the purchase of the system

Skyzard

Banned
Playing through this now. It's fun, but it's not really clicking with me yet. The environments are beautiful and the platforming can be clever (though not exceptional), but I feel there is an overall lack of purpose. The story is presented in a way that everything is just made up as you go along and the collectibles just add to a currency that buys decorative paper shapes that you can make yourself anyways. Combined with the large emphasis on user created designs and photos, I feel very little attachment to the world presented in this game.

Also, I fight with the camera much more than I would like. It's locked too often when I want to look around and gets stuck easily.

When this happened I usually hit triangle to move around or have a look in first person mode for a bit.

Lijik

When this happened I usually hit triangle to move around or have a look in first person mode for a bit.

Same here! Old school 3d platformers have taught me to always use the first person view if the camera isnt sufficient. Used it a lot in Tearaway to check for secrets

Lijik

Man, drawing stuff with your finger is hard. Might have to grab a stylus. Anyone have any experience with stylus on a Vita?

I bought a cheap soft nub iphone one from walmart a year ago to have an easier time with painting apps, and it generally worked really well with Tearaway. Its a little iffy when doing really thin parts where fine stroke work is neccesary, but i found it far superior to my finger for everything else.

FrsDvl

Finally got platinum! Which makes this my first ever platinum. Finishing Between the pages without losing my stamp was the worst. It took probably a good 30 if not more restarts. But, it was worth it. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long, long time.

Lijik

Finally got platinum! Which makes this my first ever platinum. Finishing Between the pages without losing my stamp was the worst. It took probably a good 30 if not more restarts. But, it was worth it. I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long, long time.

for me the worst was the Wendigo Fissure one, the section where you need to uncover the bounce panels and then quickly get to the next one without getting hit by a boulder would screw me up so many times.

Grinchy

Banned
for me the worst was the Wendigo Fissure one, the section where you need to uncover the bounce panels and then quickly get to the next one without getting hit by a boulder would screw me up so many times.

Yeah what kept happening to me too was that I'd hit the back touch pad to bounce, but it would only register a slight touch and it wouldn't bounce me high enough to clear the jump. It's a frustrating thing to have happen when you're over half way through the level.

mstevens

Just got my platinum. Only frustrating part was the touchpad not registering at the end of the pink in blue slides in "The Tear".

Trophies aside, what a fantastic game. I would recommend this to any type of gamer.

Bydobob

Man, drawing stuff with your finger is hard. Might have to grab a stylus. Anyone have any experience with stylus on a Vita?

Was wondering the same thing. Loving the game so far, but it takes me an age to draw anything remotely intricate. Sizing and rotating cut-outs is another trial, I've ended up just putting out my first attempt and leaving it at that. If there was a prize for worst designs I'd surely win.

Magwik

Banned
So I got the game a few days back and finally got around to starting it today. I get about 20mins in, save the game, then it sends me back to the menu and I have 0% progress and can only start over? My save file still exists though. I'm confused.

I bought a cheap soft nub iphone one from walmart a year ago to have an easier time with painting apps, and it generally worked really well with Tearaway. Its a little iffy when doing really thin parts where fine stroke work is neccesary, but i found it far superior to my finger for everything else.

Cheers for the feedback, dude.

So, when you go to create a custom piece, are the colours at the top the only colours? Can you mix existing or obtain new colours?

HardRojo

Just finished the game. Spoilers obviously.

That ending :( I wasn't expecting that to be honest, Media Molecule caught me off guard, reading Iota's journey and how he felt towards me really got to me, I gotta admit I shed a couple of tears.

Amazing job Media Molecule!

Edit: One complain I have is the lack of music, the little you get to hear is amazing so I would've preferred to have background music most if not all the time, I don't know why but for some reason I felt the music played a big part on cheering me up through the game, especially the
piggy back rides.

alice

Just got my platinum. Only frustrating part was the touchpad not registering at the end of the pink in blue slides in "The Tear".

Trophies aside, what a fantastic game. I would recommend this to any type of gamer.

I still don't have mine- I got throught The Tear with no trouble, but Between the Pages and Wendigo Fissure are giving me fits! I'm still determined - I give it a few tries every day, and I'm sure I'll get there. Congrats on yours!

Jigolo

Just beat the game. The ending was awesome, especially the platforming levels near the end.

I took an inception photo before it ended
Wkxhgtw.jpg

RyuKanSan

I will be getting my Vita in the mail in about a day or so. This game is ALL I've been hearing about. I just watched the trailer all I can say is... OMG I can't wait to download this and play it. It just looks like so much fun and love the artstyle.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Finally had the chance to finish the game tonight while watching football. I usually don't say this but that was such a cute game. A great reminder about why I love this hobby. Really enjoyed this. Such a fresh and new perspective. Media Molecule rocks, especially since they seemed to get jumping down this time.

NEO0MJ

This is kinda embarrassing but I need some help clearing an area.

I'm at the lab right now and there's an obstacle that seems impossible. It's at the area where the falling accordions. There are three accorions in a row that I have to pass but their order of falling makes it impossible to pass. Did I skip a switch I was supposed to trigger?

Edit: Decided to exit the game and restart and now I can move forward. Very Strange glitch.

VanWinkle

This is kinda embarrassing but I need some help clearing an area.

I'm at the lab right now and there's an obstacle that seems impossible. It's at the area where the falling accordions. There are three accorions in a row that I have to pass but their order of falling makes it impossible to pass. Did I skip a switch I was supposed to trigger?

Edit: Decided to exit the game and restart and now I can move forward. Very Strange glitch.

Ah yeah, I remember encountering that same glitch.

vid

I bought this game when it was $20 at GameStop and then lost my Vita the very next day, just after starting to really get into the game. About a month later, I replaced the Vita and bought the game at full price and started my journey again, slowly making my way through the journey.

For a while, I started feeling a little disappointment... the presentation was top notch, and the game used the Vita system to it's fullest extent without it feeling gimmicky, but the game itself always felt just a little too straightforward. I thought it needed more challenge, something to keep me driving forward.

...but that ending. The end of this game... makes it all become so clear. It's not meant to be hard, it's just meant to be experienced. A game that's worth taking slowly, just so the memories have a little more time to take root. What a fantastic journey it was.

krae_man

Just beat the game last night. The final story or whatever was a little short. When it said they still had one story to tell, I didn't expect to be able to fly through it in under 90 minutes.

I thoroughly enjoyed it and finished with 86% completion. Not sure if I want to go back and collect everything or not. I tried to get the confetti on that one narrow ramp at the end of the game for a good 20 minutes and couldn't do it and just gave up.

I wish I knew how to draw. I probably would have had fun if I had some artistic skill.

Platforming was still amazing and that's why I bought it in the first place.

Roubjon

I also just beat it moments ago and wow I absolutely loved it. I took my sweet time with it too. I customized Iota all the time, and I'd always spend tons of time creating all of the stuff they asked you to. Everything about it was charming and wonderfully done. It felt like I was 12 playing Banjo Kazooie all over again. All of the ways it used the Vita's functions were awesome and precise. Never once did it feel tacked on as a gimmick. And wow at the ending sequence of levels, all of which lead up to a sweet ending. It looked and felt amazing.

What a game! Now onto Ys: Celceta, which should be an amazing experience in its own right!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Beat this today. What a sweet little game and ending.

Been a while since a game has surprised me like this during some of it's parts.

This game is fighting with The Last of Us for my game of the year after finally finishing it... I mean, it is so fucking incredible. I can't recommend this game enough.

Takao

Banned
d72f179c24a2e407540ec1d49de2020e287c10f6.jpg

I need to work on the gi some more, but I think the face is pretty good. I'm not even going to attempt the kanji though.

Takao

Banned
Wow, very nicely done, especially the face! Did that with a pen?

I don't have a capacitive stylus so it's just my fingers.

I actually attempted to do the Kame symbol as a chest emblem but I broke the pencil : / I guess I could split the kanji into pieces like I did Goku's hair, but I'm running out of room in the accessories sub-menu.

Holmes

Oh god, oh man.

Just returned the squirrel's soccer ball in the caverns... then they throw it down the cliff right away. Then I accidentally killed one... I feel so bad.

Roubjon

Oh god, oh man.

Just returned the squirrel's soccer ball in the caverns... then they throw it down the cliff right away. Then I accidentally killed one... I feel so bad.

It's okay, I've chucked a couple of gophers off cliffs before to see what would happen. I guess they just die rofl.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't have a capacitive stylus so it's just my fingers.

I actually attempted to do the Kame symbol as a chest emblem but I broke the pencil : / I guess I could split the kanji into pieces like I did Goku's hair, but I'm running out of room in the accessories sub-menu.

Very nice! You can always delete some of the stuff from the list, after you've put it on too iirc.

Lijik

Very nice! You can always delete some of the stuff from the list, after you've put it on too iirc.

I would not recommend this if you want the part for any substantial time. It'll go away upon entering a new area, or when you turn off and come back to a game.

The low parts list is my biggest gripe with the creation tools, my second gripe is it doesnt outright tell you what the max you can have on iota/atoi is, and the game seems to change its mind on what that number is on a whim. A few times ill change my mind and try to swap a part out only to be told ive hit the maximum amount

Skyzard

Banned
I would not recommend this if you want the part for any substantial time. It'll go away upon entering a new area, or when you turn off and come back to a game.

The low parts list is my biggest gripe with the creation tools, my second gripe is it doesnt outright tell you what the max you can have on iota/atoi is, and the game seems to change its mind on what that number is on a whim. A few times ill change my mind and try to swap a part out only to be told ive hit the maximum amount

How do you mean with the first part? I've placed objects on my character but deleted them from the saved list.

I won't just turn plain after reloading the game will I?

Think I misunderstood. Pretty sure you can just save various characters no? Won't be able to have enough eyebrows, squiggles and other bits and bobs saved for all of them.

Lijik

How do you mean with the first part? I've placed objects on my character but deleted them from the saved list.

I won't just turn plain after reloading the game will I?

Think I misunderstood. Pretty sure you can just save various characters no? Won't be able to have enough eyebrows, squiggles and other bits and bobs saved for all of them.

If you delete the parts and use them for something else, the game will replace anything that was in that 'slot' with that part. So if you made a beak, deleted it and then a tail wound up in the same 'slot' instead, the beak will be replaced by the tail next time you load the costume.

At least this is how it works with my save. Im not sure if its a weird glitch or just how the game is supposed to work.

Skyzard

Banned
Oh wow that sucks, haven't run into that yet I don't think? Only made 2 costumes but I wiped everything iirc. Will try some more, thanks for the headsup.

Top Bottom