• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tearaway |OT| Super Iota 64

bock

http://tearaway.me/p/1vvc0
b5b35e2c3ed2e7f09686c54d512b84bc1b26d0a7.jpg

6612e7c26da28610fb6bdcdc3fd1d9df66065831.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I just have the 3 trophies for finishing the levels without dying left. I haven't done them yet because I just don't want to get angry at this awesome game haha

Thoraxes

I just have the 3 trophies for finishing the levels without dying left. I haven't done them yet because I just don't want to get angry at this awesome game haha

I 1-shotted 2 of the levels, but for some reason I kept failing at
Between the Pages.

Apdiddy

The first trophies for that are relatively easy.....but
The Tear and its wonky motion controls. I really wish I could remap them.

EDIT: And I got my 15th Platinum ever and 1st Platinum with the Vita.

CoolNumber9

Bought the game the other day on the PSN sale and just really dug into it yesterday and wow, I wish I had bought it earlier. This game is brilliant!! I really want MM to expand on this franchise, I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I have. It's beautiful, creative, charming.....just wonderful!

Shinta

Banned
Just finished the first chapter, and so far I'm totally not into it at all. Can you seriously not jump? I thought this was a platformer ... Even the camera movement on the right stick seems awfully restricted.

Is the gameplay just walking around and interacting with small gimmicks the whole time?

Graphics are lovely, but the story is mind numbing so far, the music is rough, the voice acting is rough, and there's barely any gameplay.

Just finished the first chapter, and so far I'm totally not into it at all. Can you seriously not jump? I thought this was a platformer ...

Is the gameplay just walking around and interacting with small gimmicks the whole time?

Graphics are lovely, but the story is mind numbing so far, the music is rough, the voice acting is rough, and there's barely any gameplay.

The abilities are doled out slowly.

There is plenty of action, platforming, combat, and whimsy ahead for you.

Dudes, there's a mouse inside a piece of cheese that looks sick... and i don't know what to do... coincidentally, i don't have all of the confetti/presents for that section (where you get the pumpkin head), anyone know what to do with that mice?

Thanks!

Ricky_R

Hey guys... I want to gift Tearaway to my sister-in-law and PSN doesn't feature (that I know of) a gift option. Is there another way for me to gift her the game digitally? I read something about being able to do so via Amazon.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ferny

I believe you just buy the game digitally on the Amazon store, and it'll give you the code which you can just give to her to use.

Cess007

Just got my copy today! It's a shame i won't have much time to play until tomorrow but i'll play a little more at lunch break.
Anyway, anyone else got a bug at the beginning when after killing the first enemies with the finger, the next wave never appears and can't continue? It happened to me and had to restart the game u,u

I just bought Tearaway Monday at 3am when it was still $17 on PSN. I've been playing it for a couple minutes here and there and it's pretty fun so far. I don't really feel like it's amazing (I'm only like 45 minutes in though), but it's definitely a great game.

Miutsu

Holy Shit
the ending made me cry like kid, never been this touched by a game, loved how inmersive everything was.

Sigh, this was truly a ride, the hype was warranted after all. Congrats to Mm for this little gem!

Just finished the first chapter, and so far I'm totally not into it at all. Can you seriously not jump? I thought this was a platformer ... Even the camera movement on the right stick seems awfully restricted.

I know we basically never agree on anything, but I feel obliged to mention that the game's first couple stages are a tutorial that overstays its welcome. Things pick up quickly somewhere around the Barn.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bought this for full price last night. Didn't really follow its development at all! nor even see a trailer for it, but i heard the game was fantastic, struggling, and a good example of what games the Vita should get more of.

Blind purchased to support MM and Vita, an hour in but loving it so far, and it is not my type of game traditionally.

Bought it for myself. Been smiling ever since. I wish the Vita camera was better, but fuck it, the game is amazing and I almost wish there were much more touch screen moments.

I'm at the Barn right now. Goddamn this is why I love video games.

The end was amazing. This game is worth every penny and I feel like I can't be friends with anyone who hasn't bought this.

Agreed. It deserves to be the highest rated and highest selling title on Vita so hopefully the positive word of mouf and sales gives it a significant boost.

phanboy4

Finished it. Nice and short, magnificent game both visually and aurally. Easily handheld GOTY.

It’s basically as if whoever made those old Game Boy Camera minigames took a philosophy course, dropped acid, and made a great 3D platformer.

FranXico

Just finished it now.

Wow, the ending is amazing. This game is art.

Last time a game impressed me so much was Braid.
Tearaway surpassed it by tenfold, both in game mechanics and story/message.

I can't recommend it enough. Especially to people who are wondering the point of their Vita.

Roto13

There are a couple of things that bugged me about this game as I was playing it. I think Media Molecule really needs someone to teach them the basics of platformer design, because this, specifically, is amateur hour:

Iota is in the air but his shadow is off to the side and not directly below him like it would be in any other good 3D platformer (including ones on N64). Similarly, there were moments like this one where it feels like they're more interested in being pretty than showing useful information:

This path (which you roll on) is slanted, but you wouldn't know it by looking at it, and even once you start rolling, it's hard to tell which direction it's slanted in. Putting some kind of pattern on it to tell you that it's always slanting towards the southeast, no matter how much it twists and turns, would have been worth whatever minor drop in prettiness quotient it would have suffered.

But yeah, it's still the year's best Vita game.

GcRayden

Ordered mine 2 weeks ago from Amazon for 19.99 and they still have no idea when it will be "instock" ffs. I want this game =\

I know how it feels. I ordered it for my wife on the 18th (her birthday is Dec 24th) and I didn't get it in time. :(

It was to be expected though, considering how popular the game has become and being that I ordered so close to Christmas. I fear they might cancel my order if they don't get it back in stock soon. I know it's going to make the perfect present for her! (if it ever ships)

Shengar

I don't feel good when playing Tearaway
That mostly come from myself, not the game. I don't know why I had to be a hard stoic even when playing lovely game like Tearaway. I feel like I'm a terrible human being D:

Prothero

Neo Member
Does the current GameStop $20 Tearaway sale apply in-store as well or is it just online? Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :)

Just finished it, I have no words : everything seemed coherent, perfect, and complete. It's far from being the best platformer ever, yet it's a masterpiece.

I need to replay it now.

olimpia84

I think I'm getting near the end of the game and I really like how they combine all the skills you learn along the journey for the platforming segments :D

Daigoro

i guess this game does not save to the cart.

used the content manager to swap games to a new memory card and didnt transfer Tearaway back to the new card thinking i didnt need it. i had 0% progress when i turned it on to go finish up a few collectables.

i think the save is still on my pc though. definitely going for plat on this one.

Does the current GameStop $20 Tearaway sale apply in-store as well or is it just online? Much thanks in advance to anyone who can help. :)

should be in store as well, if the sale is still on. i picked mine up in store a few weeks ago.

check the @in store pick up option on the website or call ahead if you want to be totally sure, but it shouldnt be a problem.

Beat the game and tried to replay but the scripted tutorials, forced "change your face" and even the rear touch pad stuff does not lend this game to much longevity. It's simply not a game that anyone can just pick up and play and, truthfully, the design is inconsistent (see: the barn as an example). Media Molecule continues to struggle creating something that feels simple and timeless.

Emotionally, this game did nothing for me. Hell at this second, I can't even remember the ending.

Realize youre the outlier here. Media Molecule created magic here for most people.

Top Bottom