• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Easy_G

claviertekky said:
Get a Windows 7 CD/DVD/USB drive.

If you need to make a bootable disk via USB for Windows 7: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Boot it and select repair my computer.

Thanks for the advice! I've since fixed it (I believe) by just reformatting that partition and starting anew. I've now got XP working just fine, but the Windows 7 install is basically inaccesible. I tried using DualBoot Pro to repair the boot files for 7 that were overwritten by XP, which worked, but it doesn't recognize XP anymore, only 7. I can manually change which drive to boot into from 7, but it's just a pain since it requires two restarts.

Beginning to think the error lies within my OS. Just tried installing the newest version of Gamebooser, got tis error message:

33aberl.png

Could there be something in my OS that is keeping me from installing new programs?
It seems that the problem lies in overwriting/renaming programs that are already there. Because when I install Steam, it has no problem. It crashes when it has to overwrite the old steam.exe. and gamebooster died when trying to rename the new .exe

nvm. got it working. After spending the entire day trying everything I could, I rebooted in safe mode with networking and it worked. wtf.

fanboi

Banned
Need help with my network.

I have a ADSL Modem router (Netgear DG834 v3) connected into a Wireless router (Netgear WGT624 v3).

The problem is, when I use the wireless I can surf for a small amount of time, then it just stops working (Think the modem loses it's IP from the ISP).

Any idea how I should configure each device, DHCP etc?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
My computer keeps shutting off randomly. I think it is overheating. Last time it did this, I used canned air on the fan and that seemed to fix the problem. Now it is 5 months later and it is doing it again but this time, canned air isn't working. My laptop is about 2 years old. Is it time to just get a new fan? Should I take my computer apart to find out more? Is there a diagnostics program to find out where the hardware failure is coming from?

clav

Anerythristic said:
Oh my god I tangled with the Vista Antispyware 2010 trojan. It was dug in like a tick. My wife actually picked it up on an Olympics website. Is there anything that you guys suggest even after you have ran you malware scan?
If you used Malwarebytes with the most updated definitions, you are fine.

Lionel Mandrake said:
I really want to do this, but I don't have a webcam. But today I had inspiration. I remembered that a few years ago I got that crappy USB Eyetoy camera for the PS2. Seemed like it's be possible to use as a PC webcam, so I googled around and found some instructions. Awesome, until I realized that these were not intended for 64 bit systems. So, that sucks.

Don't suppose anyone knows how to make this thing work with a 64 bit PC?

http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=487292

fanboi said:
Need help with my network.

I have a ADSL Modem router (Netgear DG834 v3) connected into a Wireless router (Netgear WGT624 v3).

The problem is, when I use the wireless I can surf for a small amount of time, then it just stops working (Think the modem loses it's IP from the ISP).

Any idea how I should configure each device, DHCP etc?
Does the wired work fine?

If both the wired and wireless go out, something is wrong with your line.

Who's your service provider? You may want to get that checked.

If only the wireless goes out, then your wifi router sucks. My friend also has a WGT624, and it blows. Out of pity, I gave him a WRT54GL router to replace it how shitty it was.

AlternativeUlster said:
My computer keeps shutting off randomly. I think it is overheating. Last time it did this, I used canned air on the fan and that seemed to fix the problem. Now it is 5 months later and it is doing it again but this time, canned air isn't working. My laptop is about 2 years old. Is it time to just get a new fan? Should I take my computer apart to find out more? Is there a diagnostics program to find out where the hardware failure is coming from?

What kind of laptop is it? There may be a history with that laptop that prompted a recall for overheating.

I dust out my laptop every 3-6 months.

No, don't get a new fan.

I don't think you need to take it apart. Write the model # down on here or search for it yourself to see if there has been a history of overheating issues.

This is definitely overheating. Pentium 4 laptops had a history of auto-shutoff issues due to its excessive operating heat.

MrPliskin

Banned
So, I'm going about my business downloading some torrent data, and suddenly I get the most AWESOME pop up: Vista Internet Security 2010.

Apparently, this little shit of a program hijacks pretty much everything, preventing you from opening ANYTHING. I had to do some crafty work around shit to get it removed, but god DAMN. What the hell is wrong with people and why do they put this shit out? I guess it's time for me to get a new browser, FireFox fucking failed me hard.

Schrade

MrPliskin said:
So, I'm going about my business downloading some torrent data, and suddenly I get the most AWESOME pop up: Vista Internet Security 2010.

Apparently, this little shit of a program hijacks pretty much everything, preventing you from opening ANYTHING. I had to do some crafty work around shit to get it removed, but god DAMN. What the hell is wrong with people and why do they put this shit out? I guess it's time for me to get a new browser, FireFox fucking failed me hard.
Nope, nothing to do with Firefox.

Here's a remover, though: http://freeofvirus.blogspot.com/search/label/Removal Tool

MrPliskin

Banned
Schrade said:
Nope, nothing to do with Firefox.

Here's a remover, though: http://freeofvirus.blogspot.com/search/label/Removal Tool

I can't imagine how the hell else it got on my computer. I generally check my torrents pretty thoroughly, so I don't know where else it could have come from outside of Firefox not preventing the stealth install.

Anyway, ended up editing the registry so I could open up some executable files, and now I'm removing it using a freeware tool. Pain in the ass. Probably going to back up some files after this and wipe the whole computer.

Schrade

MrPliskin said:
I can't imagine how the hell else it got on my computer. I generally check my torrents pretty thoroughly, so I don't know where else it could have come from outside of Firefox not preventing the stealth install.
Keep in mind that it could have been injected into your system through a plugin that wasn't updated (Java, Flash, Quicktime, etc..)

What was the title icon of the window that opened up? Was it a Firefox icon or something else?

I have a crappy Asus netbook with the atom 1.3 or 1.4 ghz processor and 1 gig of RAM. This netbook can stream Netflix fullscreen (but not hi def) very smoothly with no problems, but it cannot stream Hulu fullscreen without terrible choppiness. If it can stream Neflix with no problem, why does it struggle so much to stream Hulu? Is there anything I can do to stream Hulu more smoothly? Its choppy with IE, firefox, and chrome. The only anti-virus I use is Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, it runs windows XP.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Trent Strong said:
I have a crappy Asus netbook with the atom 1.3 or 1.4 ghz processor and 1 gig of RAM. This netbook can stream Netflix fullscreen (but not hi def) very smoothly with no problems, but it cannot stream Hulu fullscreen without terrible choppiness. If it can stream Neflix with no problem, why does it struggle so much to stream Hulu? Is there anything I can do to stream Hulu more smoothly? Its choppy with IE, firefox, and chrome. The only anti-virus I use is Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, it runs windows XP.
This is a complete guess, because as an Australian I can't use netflix or Hulu.

But does Netflix use Silverlight and Hulu use flash?

That may be the difference.

clav

Lionel Mandrake said:
Thanks, but it was my understanding that these wouldn't work on Vista 64 bit. Am I wrong?
I think they should work under Windows 7 64 bit. You're welcome to try under Vista though.

I don't know if this is an appropriate question for this thread but here goes:

How does one become computer savvy? It's a really naive question and I know it's not something that amounts to picking up a single book but I wonder how do people become so informed about computers.

Okay guys, this one is a big problem. It's not something that keeps me from using my computer, but it limits the enjoyment I get out of it.

Okay, here is the problem:

When I play music or videos or load images or gifs on my internet browser (Tried different browsers, same problem), my playback on video gets really choppy and slow. Like, basically it plays the entire thing, but where it would take 2 minutes, it takes like 4 minutes, because until the youtube video is finished loading, it will skip and skip, causing my computer to come to a crawl. It sounds like "Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-o-w-w-w-w-w-d-d-ddd-d-d-e-rr-rrr-r-r-r-," like how saying Chowder would have taken 1.5 seconds, it takes about 14. Once the video is finished loading, or my downloads are finished, it plays normally. When gifs and jpegs load, it does the same thing. If I am playing Itunes, it causes my itunes to skip, although not as severely.

Here is the kicker: When I reset my computer, this will not happen for a few hours, but the longer it stays on, the worse it gets. If I want to watch a long video streaming, I must restart my computer and watch it completely before the crazy symptoms return. It makes it impossible for me to enjoy youtube, as I must start the video, and walk away from the computer until it's done loading. They load the same speed, though. My internet is rather fast here, although way less reliable as I live in an energy and cost-saving dorm in one of them loser-countries, which means we can fuck up the server pretty bad at times. But that's neither here nor there, just a little venting.

Does anybody know what's going on? I need more than just "Reinstall your drivers" because that is too broad of an answer. I trust GAF to help a brother out.

moojito

vas_a_morir said:
Shit be broke, yo

If it happens after a while, it sounds like it's caused by some other program on your system. The only thing I've seen like it myself was when I had peerblocker running with no limit on its log file, and things would really start grinding once the log file exceeded 1gb.
It may be worth restarting your pc into safe mode with networking (tap f8 while the system boots up) to see if it works ok there. At the very least it should help you find out if it's more of a system issue or interference from another app.

edit: It occurs to me as well that all the videos on the browsers you use might have the flash player in common. Is that up to date? It might be worth firing up google chrome and checking out some html5 videos ( http://www.youtube.com/html5 ) to see if that's any better.

Heretic

Microsoft Outlook 2003 Issue:

My boss called me in to her office today (scared the crap out of me as she sounded angry over the phone) to show me that her messages stay in the Outbox folder when she tries to send. I clicked on the Send/Receive button and it shows that it's sending but the messages don't go through. I told her to close the program and open it up again. She did and nothing worked. I noticed that when she X'd out of Outlook, it remained open in the system tray. Could this be the culprit? I restarted her computer and upon opening Outlook, her messages were getting sent. I've changed the Send/Receive setting to send and receive when exiting the program but since it doesn't officially close, there's no way seeing if that works. I googled the problem and read that a program might be attached to it some how which is why it won't close completely when exiting the program. Any idea what could be causing the program not to send/receive?

Short Version:
Outlook won't send messages. They stay in the Outbox folder. Outlook won't completely close out; stays open in system tray. Wondering if that's what's causing the first problem. Finally sends emails when you restart computer and open outlook again.

DarkKyo

Power supply replacement:
Okay, so the fan in the power supply of my pc has been busted for a long time. I've just used a fan behind the computer to pump air in and keep it cool but I'd like to just replace my power supply. I've got a $100 best buy gift card so I'd like to order it online there.

What do I need to know about my power supply to find a replacement? I looked for the same model as I currently have but I don't think it is being made anymore.

jred2k

I have a SamsungSyncMaster 2494HM(monitor, not a tv) that I use to play my 360 and PS3 through via HDMI. I've been noticing that it has a bit of a grainy/speckled look to it. I've tried playing around with the settings, but nothing I adjust seems to change it. Any advice on what I could do to reduce it? Its not a huge issue, but it can be really annoying when watching a movie or playing a game.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Silly question, Windows already tells me i can but i wanna be extra sure, im using Windows 7 Ultimate Beta still and its running out in a few days. Now i got Windows 7 Home Premium, im unable to run the Windows update because of the lower version and thats ok, im doing a Windows Backup now onto an external hard drive and then i will reinstall Win 7 from scratch, when i do the restore will it bring over shit like Steam games and all my other shit? and am i able to do a restore from Ultimate to Home?

Quake1028

Problem: My fiancee's laptop has stopped charging. I think the port where the charger is plugged into has gotten loose over the years. What are my options? I don't think a new power cord will fix it, and those are almost $100 anyway. I was thinking of buying her a netbook and getting an external drive enclosure to put her laptop HDD in. Would that work? Would getting the port fixed even be possible/feasible money wise? Thanks for any help.

Dougald

Dechaios said:
Power supply replacement:
Okay, so the fan in the power supply of my pc has been busted for a long time. I've just used a fan behind the computer to pump air in and keep it cool but I'd like to just replace my power supply. I've got a $100 best buy gift card so I'd like to order it online there.

What do I need to know about my power supply to find a replacement? I looked for the same model as I currently have but I don't think it is being made anymore.

As long as it's a standard-sized ATX power supply, any ATX PSU will probably do. As a rule of thumb, make sure its got at least the same wattage as your current one. However, don't cheap out: a cheap, high-wattage PSU won't be as good as a decently made one

If your PC is a Dell or similar, do a quick google on power supply replacements for that model. Sometimes you have to get a bit creative, as manufacturers do like using nonstandard power supplies to force you to buy their replacements

Joe

sooo flash video apparently doesn't work on my computer any more.

YouTube, DailyMotion, Vimeo, any site using flash video doesn't work any more. The player itself always loads but the video doesn't load. It just hangs. It's so weird and frustrating :(

Any tips?

edit: I get the same problem on Firefox, Chrome and IE. Other computers on the network load and play videos just fine.

edit2: Fixed it. I was running Flash 10 beta which was working fine and stopped working out of nowhere. I "upgraded" to the official 10 release and it works fine now.

Im attempting to put Windows 7 on my Acer netbook and I going to boot the iso from my thumbdrive but since I am currently using XP I cannot prepare the thumbdrive using DiskPart.

I found a tutorial for those who are doing this with XP but I cant understand one part of it. I am pretty dumb with computers so bare with me. Can someone explain maybe in detail what this exactly means and what I need to do?

This is the step I am confused with:

"Now dir to directory where you have extracted MBRWiz and run following commands"

I do not know how to do this and it does not explain, i guessing its basic knowledge but I suck at this stuff, and especially command prompt shit.

Here is the guide I am following.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2016/how-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-drive-without-windows-7-iso-dvd.htm

Thanks in advance... ive been trying to figure this out for a while now.

I was wondering if anyone could help a computer noob (me) and his dad. My dad's computer is borked big time. Just doing the simplest thing .. like seeing the start menu after clicking the start button .. takes forever but I'm not seeing anything weird via malwarebytes or adaware. Anyone have any ideas what I could to do help alleviate the situation?

Also, does anyone notice anything odd in these run time processes while the computer is idle or does it all look kosher:

20az021.jpg

Computer Info:

HP Pavilion
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3400+
984MHz, 448MB of Ram

sarcastor

Maklershed said:
I was wondering if anyone could help a computer noob (me) and his dad. My dad's computer is borked big time. Just doing the simplest thing .. like seeing the start menu after clicking the start button .. takes forever but I'm not seeing anything weird via malwarebytes or adaware. Anyone have any ideas what I could to do help alleviate the situation?

Also, does anyone notice anything odd in these run time processes while the computer is idle or does it all look kosher:

for starters, go to start > run > msconfig

turn off all that HP crap, ctfmon.exe, ehsched.exe and aawtray.exe (part of adware)

then install this and clean out the computer

and then show us another screenshot, but sort by name please!

Ashhong

so i wanted to see if i needed more case fans, so ran Prime95 to test my CPU temp. problem is my CORE0 and CORE1 temperatures arent changing from 43/44 degrees C even when at load. however Speedfan shows my CPU temperature changing. its gone from about 30 to 44, which seems about right.

is there something wrong with my CORE sensors? i know they used to work...for the past few months all i remember seeing is 43/44 now that i think about it, didnt think anything was wrong though.

Epcott

What is a good Tablet PC for graphic design (using Adobe CS4 or Painter 11)?
Suggestions?

(not really a tech support question... or is it?)

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I may need some help

I had Vista on my Dell laptop, my friend gave me a free copy of Windows 7, but it was an evaluation copy, build 7100

It kept popping windows for to upgrade, and back-up files

So how do I revert back to Vista or a cheap way to upgrade?

The problem is every 30 minutes to 2 hours my laptop keeps resetting itself, is this due to the Windows 7?

GraveRobberX said:
I may need some help

I had Vista on my Dell laptop, my friend gave me a free copy of Windows 7, but it was an evaluation copy, build 7100

It kept popping windows for to upgrade, and back-up files

So how do I revert back to Vista or a cheap way to upgrade?

The problem is every 30 minutes to 2 hours my laptop keeps resetting itself, is this due to the Windows 7?

Yeah the latest patch to 7 is corralling in the evaluation copies to buy a retail version. Pretty soon it won't even work. Are you a student by any chance? If so you can get a copy for 85 dollars.

Jakeh111

my wireless mouse MS LASER MOUSE 5000 sometimes will act strange. I will be going across my desktop and then the mouse might stop and when I move it it only goes maybe 10 pixels then stops again and will do that 2 times in a row and then just work fine. I have switched out the batteries and reinstalled the regualr drivers but it still seems to be acting wonky.

BakedPigeon said:
Im attempting to put Windows 7 on my Acer netbook and I going to boot the iso from my thumbdrive but since I am currently using XP I cannot prepare the thumbdrive using DiskPart.

I found a tutorial for those who are doing this with XP but I cant understand one part of it. I am pretty dumb with computers so bare with me. Can someone explain maybe in detail what this exactly means and what I need to do?

This is the step I am confused with:

"Now dir to directory where you have extracted MBRWiz and run following commands"

I do not know how to do this and it does not explain, i guessing its basic knowledge but I suck at this stuff, and especially command prompt shit.

Here is the guide I am following.

http://www.blogsdna.com/2016/how-to-install-windows-7-from-usb-drive-without-windows-7-iso-dvd.htm

Thanks in advance... ive been trying to figure this out for a while now.

It wants you to move to the directory holding the files and run some commands.

Basically what you do is you pull up the "run" box and you 'cd" to your directory. You then would call those commands.

A list of the commands you use in the DOS window are listed here.

http://www.computerhope.com/overview.htm

So in your case, figure what directory you extracted those M whatever files to. Then in the command prompt using cd start going down directory levels until you are in the folder. You can see all the directories in your current level by typing 'ls' and hitting enter

so say you your files are in the folder doucuments and settings>downloads

open the cmd prompt and type ls

you'll see a bunch of files. Navigate into folders using cd "name of folder" till you get to the above. Typing cd w/ nothing next to it moves up a directory. Once you are in the directory, run the commands as shown.

Does that help?

my wireless mouse MS LASER MOUSE 5000 sometimes will act strange. I will be going across my desktop and then the mouse might stop and when I move it it only goes maybe 10 pixels then stops again and will do that 2 times in a row and then just work fine. I have switched out the batteries and reinstalled the regualr drivers but it still seems to be acting wonky.

It's inherent to most wireless mice. Part of reason I still use a wired MX518 logitech mouse.

I would suggest moving around the reciever if it is seperate. If it's a USB dongle I am not sure what to say. >.< Perhaps try moving it to another USB port.

If you havent already I also suggest downloading/installing CCLEANER and Defraggler. Both are essential programs to keeping windows machines nice and tidy. Run those puppies and see if performance improves.

Jakeh111

DryEyeRelief said:
I don't know if this is an appropriate question for this thread but here goes:

How does one become computer savvy? It's a really naive question and I know it's not something that amounts to picking up a single book but I wonder how do people become so informed about computers.

Troubleshoot computers alot. I been doing it from the days of DOS, back then we didn't have this great thing called the internet. Now a days I just throw my question into google and see what pops.

Jakeh111 said:
Troubleshoot computers alot. I been doing it from the days of DOS, back then we didn't have this great thing called the internet. Now a days I just throw my question into google and see what pops.

Yep the most important part to computer help these days is knowing how to google search something and then remembering the "trick" for future use. That's how I can troubleshoot programs over the phone I have never seen before in my life.

Also consider learning various operating systems. I am starting to get pretty proficient with Mac OSX and unix. I will venture into Linux one of these days. :lol

Jakeh111

It's inherent to most wireless mice. Part of reason I still use a wired MX518 logitech mouse.

I would suggest moving around the reciever if it is seperate. If it's a USB dongle I am not sure what to say. >.< Perhaps try moving it to another USB port.

Never knew that, had a wired mouse for so long! Will give the suggestions a try, thanks.

jhenedo said:
Thank you!!! Saved me loads of grief man!

So you were able to save the photos? Recuva is pretty damn fantastic for a free app. Same people who make CCLEANER and Defraggler which I install on multiple systems. I really should donate money to them, they deserve it.

Never knew that, had a wired mouse for so long! Will give the suggestions a try, thanks.[ /quote]

At least I find most of them aren't 100 percent response 100 percent of the time. If it's happening a lot there may be something wrong with either the transmitter or receiver. How old is it?

Also try this link. It may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838398

Ashhong

Ashhong said:
so i wanted to see if i needed more case fans, so ran Prime95 to test my CPU temp. problem is my CORE0 and CORE1 temperatures arent changing from 43/44 degrees C even when at load. however Speedfan shows my CPU temperature changing. its gone from about 30 to 44, which seems about right.

is there something wrong with my CORE sensors? i know they used to work...for the past few months all i remember seeing is 43/44 now that i think about it, didnt think anything was wrong though.

just in case nobody saw this post =)

Jakeh111

At least I find most of them aren't 100 percent response 100 percent of the time. If it's happening a lot there may be something wrong with either the transmitter or receiver. How old is it?

Oh just about a year old.

Salazar

Hi Gaf,

I have a new Macbook Pro (Mac OS X 10.6), and I've installed iWork 08 on it - for word processing in Pages. Installation worked fine, and I've opened a blank WP document in Pages, but I can only type in white. That is to say, the text is invisible unless highlighted. I can't seem to change this.

Any ideas ? No Mac trolling, please.

GAF, is there anyway to bring back a Sharepoint Mysite that was accidentally deleted? Not like a web part or list, but the entire mysite?

sarcastor said:
for starters, go to start > run > msconfig

turn off all that HP crap, ctfmon.exe, ehsched.exe and aawtray.exe (part of adware)

then install this and clean out the computer

and then show us another screenshot, but sort by name please!
I love you. I love you. I love you. I love you. And if I haven't mentioned it yet .. I love you. Getting rid of ctfmon.exe (via advanced language options) did the trick. My dad's computer is now running as fast as the day he got it. Thank you so much! :D

eznark

Banned
Interesting question:

I have a wireless router connected to my DSL router. Also connected to the wireless router are my 360 and PS3. I had no problems until recently, when I discovered that turning on the console(s) kills my wireless signal. Obviously the two consoles are hard wired through the router, but my laptops (including my wifes work Dell which she uses often at home) have a spotty connection when I'm trying to game on a console.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so I have two issues that may be one in the same.

1.] I just hooked up a WRT54gs v.5 because this old Dlink router I had been using was slow and would drop wireless pretty frequently. The weird thing is.. if I plug my modem into the "internet" port on the router.. it won't give a connection either by wireless or through the lan.
But if I plug the modem into one of the lan slots it gives a connection just fine. I've reset it a few times and made sure I have the latest firmware.

2.] If I plug my xbox into one of other lan ports it won't connect. On the Test connection thing it says it is connected to the internet, but can't access LIVE. Now here's the puzzler, if I connect the Xbox directly into the modem it still won't connect to LIVE and gives the same error.

I made sure the Xbox was still configured to "automatic" and restored the wireless settings to factory defaults just incase, but still no dice. So just for kicks I plugged the old Dlink that drops wireless all the time back in and Voila! the Xbox has no problems connecting!

Question regarding VGA to Component cable:

So I wanted to connect my parents PC to their fairly old HDTV (only supports 480p and 1080i). I had an old S-Video to Component Cable lying around which I connected from the PC to the TV (the PC has an 8600GT graphics card). I was able to use the TV as a secondary monitor but the colors were messed up due to, I'm guessing, a fault in the wire. I bought a VGA to Component cable and hooked that up.

The problem I'm getting now is the following. I can see the TV as a secondary monitor but the picture won't show up properly. I can't seem to figure out what resolution to set the TV at. I can see my desktop extended out onto the TV, but theirs a lot of flickering and the weird effect a TV does when you do something like pick the wrong resolution on your Xbox 360.

Help please.

koshunter said:
Question regarding VGA to Component cable:

So I wanted to connect my parents PC to their fairly old HDTV (only supports 480p and 1080i). I had an old S-Video to Component Cable lying around which I connected from the PC to the TV (the PC has an 8600GT graphics card). I was able to use the TV as a secondary monitor but the colors were messed up due to, I'm guessing, a fault in the wire. I bought a VGA to Component cable and hooked that up.

The problem I'm getting now is the following. I can see the TV as a secondary monitor but the picture won't show up properly. I can't seem to figure out what resolution to set the TV at. I can see my desktop extended out onto the TV, but theirs a lot of flickering and the weird effect a TV does when you do something like pick the wrong resolution on your Xbox 360.

Help please.

Sounds like you picked the wrong refresh rate.

sestrugen

I bought an acer netbook for college, it has win xp installed, the only problem I have with this computer is the system clock, it has to be reset every single time I turn the computer on, is it software related or maybe hardware?

jas0

Neo Member
J.M.Reyes said:
I bought an acer netbook for college, it has win xp installed, the only problem I have with this computer is the system clock, it has to be reset every single time I turn the computer on, is it software related or maybe hardware?

If the machine forgets the time each time you turn it on then it's probably a weak CMOS battery. Check your BIOS/setup screen on startup and see if the time is kept or not. Also see how Windows is handling it's time/time zones for the hell of it.

On a netbook it may be harder to replace the CMOS battery on your own.

jas0

Neo Member
Salazar said:
Hi Gaf,

I have a new Macbook Pro (Mac OS X 10.6), and I've installed iWork 08 on it - for word processing in Pages. Installation worked fine, and I've opened a blank WP document in Pages, but I can only type in white. That is to say, the text is invisible unless highlighted. I can't seem to change this.

Any ideas ? No Mac trolling, please.

Have you checked the Colors menu for the font? That's a weird default setting if you just set it up.

Top Bottom