• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Meier

Suitcase Test said:
I had this problem as well (are you using Vista too?). I finally solved it by changing the settings in Sound, and then restarting the app that's playing video/sound. Without restarting, it would continue to play through the same output.

Weird, but it finally worked, so I was happy. :)
Thanks! I actually didn't even have to restart the app (using Windows 7) just changed the default device. It would be nice if it did it automatically but only requiring one quick switch is not so bad. So tempted to ditch cable...

RevoDS

Suitcase Test said:
I had this problem as well (are you using Vista too?). I finally solved it by changing the settings in Sound, and then restarting the app that's playing video/sound. Without restarting, it would continue to play through the same output.

Weird, but it finally worked, so I was happy. :)

Yeah, that's a really annoying "bug", especially when you use a USB headset most of the time (like I do). Thank god it got fixed in 7 and now it just changes directly to the new output when you tell it to.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
My wireless card is tripping balls with Windows 7 Ulimate 64. It's a Ralink RT61 chipset wireless PCI card according to device manager. It used to work fine when I was on Windows 7 RC, but now on Ultimate it works really erratically. It'll appear to be connected fine to my router (a Buffalo router running Tomato firmware) but it won't load websites and will be super slow. Couple reboots later, it'll work at full speed for a while then go back to tripping balls. I'm guessing this is a driver issue. Anyone else encountered this? I've googled it, and tried a bunch of different drivers that allegedly fixed the issue for others, but no such luck for me.

Azih

mj1108 said:
Make sure your motherboard is grounded by making sure it's screwed down to the case securely.
Alright, did that. All four screws were tightened by half a turn or so before they became tight. Let's see how it goes. Thanks much.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
firefox file download:

sometimes a file wont restart or the download list is cleared buy accident.

when i redownload, it doesn't pick up where the partial file left off.

really annoying.

Schrade

DeathNote said:
firefox file download:

sometimes a file wont restart or the download list is cleared buy accident.

when i redownload, it doesn't pick up where the partial file left off.

really annoying.
Some sites' servers don't support restarting. Not really Firefox's fault.

If you're going to be downloading large files or are downloading files from sites that take forever, just use a download manager.

I'd recommend Orbit Download Manager.

daw840

I really need some help. I have a N-Gigabit router that is running my nearly brand new VAIO laptop. I have Roadrunner high speed with turbo boost, but my internet on the computer is still slow as shit.

My Xbox is wired directly to the router and runs just fine, no lag issues, nothing. I don't know how to test the speed on that, but it has to be way better than the above. Supposedly I should be getting 10 Mbps, but obviously, that is not even close to what I actually get. How do I fix this? Is there anything I can do to make it better?

daw840

daw840 said:
I really need some help. I have a N-Gigabit router that is running my nearly brand new VAIO laptop. I have Roadrunner high speed with turbo boost, but my internet on the computer is still slow as shit.

My Xbox is wired directly to the router and runs just fine, no lag issues, nothing. I don't know how to test the speed on that, but it has to be way better than the above. Supposedly I should be getting 10 Mbps, but obviously, that is not even close to what I actually get. How do I fix this? Is there anything I can do to make it better?

Anyone? Is the computer repair shop closed for business now?

LordAlu

daw840 said:
Anyone? Is the computer repair shop closed for business now?
Hmm, I suppose it's possible you have something running in the background eating up all your bandwidth... go into Task Manager and click on the Networking tab, just to see how much usage you're getting?

bh7812

Banned
I'm having problems very similar to Daw's..this is just a quick run down of what led up to the problem. 4 years ago I finally got DSL at home. Had 1.5 MB for about a year. Everything was great, at least 150kb a sec downloads, fast pages, videos loaded really quick. A year after getting the DSL I had to downgrade down to 768k. Really no problem technically there either. I've been getting 80k a sec downloads since the downgrade and pages plus videos have loaded within an acceptable time frame. About what I'd expect from that connection. So that brings me to 2 days ago. I call my isp, AT&T, and ask to upgrade to 6MB a sec. They did that this morning but the phone lines in my area are all copper phone lines so the damn phone line couldn't handle the connection :( Called this afternoon, they got me back down to 1.5 MB a sec. Everything's finally running stable and I'm staying connected except pages are loading really a lot slower than they should be at this speed, my download speed is AWFUL, we're talking less than 20kb when I know it should be up around 150kb. NBC video was taking forever to start too. Is there anything I can do tonight to get these page load times and download speeds back to where they should be or should I just wait and call the isp again in the morning? I'm truly stumped. All I wanted to do was upgrade my speed a little. I shoulda just left it at 768k for now :( Any advice??

DeadTrees

James Woods said:
I am trying to install Clive Barker's Undying and it stalls at 24%, when it is installing the audio portions. Any help?
Just pulled the game out of the Backlog From Hell™, had no issues installing under Windows XP SP3. If the optical drive and CD are fine, and it's always freezing at the same point, it might be an audio driver issue.

Joe

out of nowhere (seemingly) all of my downloaded videos are out of a/v sync. i uninstalled all my codecs and installed k-lite which made the sync less noticeable but it's still very much there.

these aren't rips, or videos that i encoded myself just any random video that i download.

any help?

bh7812

Banned
suffah said:
Are you running a wireless AP? Someone could be leeching your connection.

Also, run a ping test to a common site like www.google.com or something. Are you getting any packet drops/loss?

Well, I have a 2Wire 2700HG-B router, the desktop PC and the PS3 downstairs are plugged directly into that. We have 3 laptops in the house that connect to the router too. I just checked for any signs of leeching and the only things showing up on my network right now are the 5 devices that use my network. Only one active right now is my laptop so I'm doubtful anyone's trying to leech the connection. Pinged Google just now, it says zero for lost/dropped packets. I don't get it, I'm stumped. I guess all I can do is wait until the morning and call Tech support because I definitely shouldn't be doing barely 20k download speed with this 1.5MB connection. Btw, I looked in the router itself and it does say incoming speed is 1538 kb/sec and outgoing is 386 so the numbers are matching up with the connection I'm supposed to have. It's just that it's acting more like a 56k connection right now. Will keep you posted.

Ophiuchus

Banned
Im building a computer and have everything hooked up. but when I hit the power button the fans spin up for 1-3 seconds and then it shuts its self off. Ive reseated the heat sink 2-3 times and no change I have also used 2 different power supplies :( all parts are new and this happens inside and outside of the case.

I dont know what else to check

Sinistar said:
Im building a computer and have everything hooked up. but when I hit the power button the fans spin up for 1-3 seconds and then it shuts its self off. Ive reseated the heat sink 2-3 times and no change I have also used 2 different power supplies :( all parts are new and this happens inside and outside of the case.

Huh. if you're sure you've wired everything right and both power supplies were working I would assume the problem is the Mobo. A cpu wouldn't overheat that fast, so it's not your cooling mount. do you ever get any POST beeps?

Sinistar said:

The best thing to do when you have those type of problems is to simplify things. Hookup only Power, Motherboard, CPU, Memory, and video (integrated instead of video card if your motherboard supports it). Your overall goal should be able to boot and see what components might be getting in the way from it booting. See what of reactions you get. If it boots add one component in at a time. Remember that it is still possible your power supplies are not powerful enough and it might not be a problem with the added component. If it still refuses to boot at that point then try removing the memory. See if it will get your system to beep. If it doesn't beep then check that you are connecting the power supply correctly to your motherboard and have all of the correct pin settings. If that's all in order then your problem is either your motherboard or cpu. Unless you have another system to test the cpu on, you would probably be screwed diagnostically at that point.

Ophiuchus

Banned
new development. I disconnected the 4pin aux connector, so just the 24pin was connected and NOTHING else, and it stayed on. So I pinpointed it to the 4pin....what does this mean?
cpu is fucked? Motherboard?

its an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD

with 2 gigs of ram and an antec Power supply

Sinistar said:
new development. I disconnected the 4pin aux connector, so just the 24pin was connected and NOTHING else, and it stayed on. So I pinpointed it to the 4pin....what does this mean?
cpu is fucked? Motherboard?

its an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ Brisbane 2.9GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA Geforce 7025/nForce 630a Micro ATX AMD

with 2 gigs of ram and an antec Power supply

what came up on screen?

Ophiuchus

Banned
SundaySounds said:
what came up on screen?

nothing the cpu isnt getting power if the connector is not in lol. I went out and bought a new power supply and still nothing Im thinking the board is fucked :( but its all new stuff :(

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

I've been trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro all morning and afternoon and encountering all kinds of errors along the way. Note I'm going from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 Ultimate. I was trying to complete the upgrade process via the tutorials offered by Microsoft as well as whatever I could find on Bootcamp/OS-X to no avail. I finally resolved to delete the Windows partition altogether and attempt a clean install. Upon doing this I encountered a new error while using Bootcamp. Fuck! Apparently my disk (the one with OS-X) is damaged and I need to restore it completely... I think. This is what the "verify disk" and "repair disk" commands get me,

rw4650.png

I honestly can't tell what the fuck is going on. Bootcamp told me I needed to format my disk to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" but as you can see it is already formatted that way.

It says "Permissions repair complete" but I still get errors. I'm not going to fucking erase my disk on a whim. Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?

Sorry for gratuitous use of the word "fuck." This is incredibly frustrating!

Garou

esquire said:
Fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck!

I've been trying to install Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro all morning and afternoon and encountering all kinds of errors along the way. Note I'm going from Windows 7 RC to Windows 7 Ultimate. I was trying to complete the upgrade process via the tutorials offered by Microsoft as well as whatever I could find on Bootcamp/OS-X to no avail. I finally resolved to delete the Windows partition altogether and attempt a clean install. Upon doing this I encountered a new error while using Bootcamp. Fuck! Apparently my disk (the one with OS-X) is damaged and I need to restore it completely... I think. This is what the "verify disk" and "repair disk" commands get me,

I honestly can't tell what the fuck is going on. Bootcamp told me I needed to format my disk to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" but as you can see it is already formatted that way.

It says "Permissions repair complete" but I still get errors. I'm not going to fucking erase my disk on a whim. Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on?

Sorry for gratuitous use of the word "fuck." This is incredibly frustrating!

Did you try what Disc Utility told you in the bold red letters?

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Garou said:
Did you try what Disc Utility told you in the bold red letters?

No, to do that I have to backup and erase everything. That's the final solution. What I want to know is why this is happening and if there is any way to avoid doing this.

Long story, short. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I don't have time to do all of that right now.

Jordan

I'm looking for another program that is like a program called VibeStreamer.

It's basically a web based music player that you can connect to from anywhere (assuming your router is set up correctly)

Was just wondering if there are any more pieces of software like this, would like to play around with some.

Facism

I have an issue with my laptop connecting wirelessly to my netgear router. Occasionally when i load a picture heavy thread up on GAF, my connection seemingly drops when it tries to load the images all at once.

On sites where pictures load sequentially, no problem. What causes this?

using xp fully updated. issue persists with any browser

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I want to connect my laptop to two external displays, one with VGA and one with HDMI. The only problem is the ports are too close together on my laptop, and the VGA cable overlaps the HDMI port.

Is there anywhere I can buy a VGA cable that doesn't have screws on the side? I just need it to be a little bit thinner so I can fit in the HDMI cable as well.

Gowans

two things that are pissing me right off.

1. My Win 7 laptops task bar keeps disappearing all the time, I can get it back my reseting explorer.exe but it's a pain in the arse, how can I stop it happening in the first place.

2. My video folders I share via media player to my 360/PS3 need to be removed and then re-added to the library in the media player libraries every time I add something new to recognise the new content.

ARGGG!G!HGH!G!!. help...

JayRizzle

Neo Member
daw840 said:

In my experience with speedtest.net, there are some settings on your router that may interfere with the test running correctly.

I have a 7mbps dl speed, and it was only reporting like 1mbps maybe.

I have a Netgear router, and disabling the Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) feature on the router fixed all of my speed related issues.
See if your router has SPI. If it does, disable it and see if the speedtest reports come out more accurate.

Garou

esquire said:
No, to do that I have to backup and erase everything. That's the final solution. What I want to know is why this is happening and if there is any way to avoid doing this.

Long story, short. I'm going on vacation tomorrow and I don't have time to do all of that right now.

No, you don't have to erase anything. You just boot from the MacOS-disc and start disk utility from there and let it repair your disc. It has to be done that way because it can't fix a disc that has the currently running OS on it.

I'm wondering if you guys can help me with my Macbook.

Quick backstory:

2006 model, white, been with me on my adventures abroad to Beijing and Rotterdam, so I'm attached to the damn thing. The hard drive finally conks out on me while in Rotterdam. When I return to the States, the folks at the Mac store replace my hard drive for free!

The replacement was a few weeks ago, and now... it's crashing. Not as badly as the first time, but it crashes completely after a few minutes of use.

It happened this afternoon. The Macbook was on a desk, a little far away from me. I slide it towards me, when the screen starts glitching and tearing. So I turn it off.

And it doesn't turn back on.

So I hold down the power button until it goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP and it starts!

I'm back, baby! And then after a few minutes, it asks me to restart because it crashed.

And this happens over and over.

So I find a tutorial that tells me to use fsck -y at the single user screen, so I do. It starts to do it, but it always freezes right here:

So... do I have to go to the Mac store? Is this a severe case? Someone just tell me what's going on and if there's anything I can do.

Thanks!

I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate 32-Bit and ever since Vista I have had no sound out of my rear speakers (I have a 4.1 setup) unless its a DVD (maybe games too, not sure). When I do the audio test the speakers work but whenever I listen to music I only get the music out of the front speakers. Anyway to fix this because before Vista the audio would come out of all of the speakers regardless of what I was listening to? I am currently using onboard audio but about a year ago I bought a soundcard from Best Buy and it didn't solve the problem. Help GAF!

yayaba

FlightOfHeaven said:
I'm wondering if you guys can help me with my Macbook.

Quick backstory:

2006 model, white, been with me on my adventures abroad to Beijing and Rotterdam, so I'm attached to the damn thing. The hard drive finally conks out on me while in Rotterdam. When I return to the States, the folks at the Mac store replace my hard drive for free!

The replacement was a few weeks ago, and now... it's crashing. Not as badly as the first time, but it crashes completely after a few minutes of use.

It happened this afternoon. The Macbook was on a desk, a little far away from me. I slide it towards me, when the screen starts glitching and tearing. So I turn it off.

And it doesn't turn back on.

So I hold down the power button until it goes BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP and it starts!

I'm back, baby! And then after a few minutes, it asks me to restart because it crashed.

And this happens over and over.

So I find a tutorial that tells me to use fsck -y at the single user screen, so I do. It starts to do it, but it always freezes right here:

So... do I have to go to the Mac store? Is this a severe case? Someone just tell me what's going on and if there's anything I can do.

Thanks!

Worse case if it's not a problem with your HD it might be a logic board issue. But they'll swap out the board for like $250 so you can still keep your notebook if you're attached to it.

yayaba said:
Worse case if it's not a problem with your HD it might be a logic board issue. But they'll swap out the board for like $250 so you can still keep your notebook if you're attached to it.

Oh no! So a best case scenario it's just my HD and they have to swap that out again?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm running windows 7 x64. About 1/3 of the time when I boot my PC I won't get an internet connection. Instead my LAC shows my "Home Network" but also a "Unidentified Network" that are both 'connected' but only with local access. Now I can sometimes fix this by disabling and enabling the LAC but sometimes it takes a couple of reboots in order for JUST my "Home Network" to be picked up.

Anyone have any clues as to why I'm picking up a "unidentified network', I'm using a Westell 7500 provided by my ISP and am hardwired via ethernet?

One more thing too, same PC. When I go away for a while and the PC goes into sleep mode when I wake it up nothing but the mouse will be responsive and after about 30 seconds the PC freezes, sometimes it unfreezes and everything is normal other times it's frozen to the point of having to do a cold reboot. Anyone know about that?

Thanks PC GAF.

Baconbitz

Banned
I have 3 peices of spyware being found by spybot and they are cookies
Burstmedia
castlemeadia
and another one I can't think of off the top of my head. I've only used one browser as of recently. I cleared the cookies and all that but, after doing a scan again on spybot they still appear. On that note I've also noticed things (one game and every youtube video I watch) lag.

Ophiuchus

Banned
Baconbitz said:
Burstmedia
castlemeadia
and another one I can't think of off the top of my head. I've only used one browser as of recently. I cleared the cookies and all that but, after doing a scan again on spybot they still appear. On that note I've also noticed things (one game and every youtube video I watch) lag.

Try running http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html And report back :)

lil smoke

Banned
I got one.

XBOX, Mac Pro, Time Capsule, ethernet modem

Modem ethernet goes into TC. TC out goes back into Mac, and that's the internet. Another TC out goes to the xbox, but the xbox won't play. I have to disconnect the modem out, and insert a direct connection from modem to xbox in order for xbox to go live.

I have not found an answer for this anywhere. Nor Apple, MS, or RCN will touch this issue.

bh7812

Banned
bh7812 said:
Well, I have a 2Wire 2700HG-B router, the desktop PC and the PS3 downstairs are plugged directly into that. We have 3 laptops in the house that connect to the router too. I just checked for any signs of leeching and the only things showing up on my network right now are the 5 devices that use my network. Only one active right now is my laptop so I'm doubtful anyone's trying to leech the connection. Pinged Google just now, it says zero for lost/dropped packets. I don't get it, I'm stumped. I guess all I can do is wait until the morning and call Tech support because I definitely shouldn't be doing barely 20k download speed with this 1.5MB connection. Btw, I looked in the router itself and it does say incoming speed is 1538 kb/sec and outgoing is 386 so the numbers are matching up with the connection I'm supposed to have. It's just that it's acting more like a 56k connection right now. Will keep you posted.

Just a quick update on my situation I posted on here over the weekend/early this week...good news is the issue I was having has been totally resolved :D The actual cause of the whole thing turned out to be two things I would have never ever thought to check! Tuesday night I was trying again to fix the problem. At first nothing. Then, I thought ok maybe I should actually look at all the phone line stuff on my end. I went to do that, and I come to find BOTH lines in the house were plugged into a very very old line splitter. Cause number 1. Wasn't helping the connection at all. Pulling them out of the line splitter still wasn't really solving the problem so out of curiosity and as a last resort I took the phone jack for the DVR out since I knew the DVR was using the same line as the DSL. Tried again not expecting anything but that fixed it! Everything's running great as if nothing happened! Would never have expected an old line splitter and DVR plugged into the DSL line would cause something like that! Thanks to anyone who read my original problem! :)

AcciDante

This has been bothering me for quite some time, but every now and then, flash content on the web just stops responding to my mouse. I'm using firefox on Mac OS X, and both of there and flash player are completely updated. Anyone have a solution?

Alright so my laptop is stuck in safe mode. Anyways, whenever I enter a disc or DVD it doesn't read it properly. I can't play anything through the drive. When I use VLC or another program it only recognizes it as a blank disc. Thanks.

Cheeto

lil smoke said:
I got one.

XBOX, Mac Pro, Time Capsule, ethernet modem

Modem ethernet goes into TC. TC out goes back into Mac, and that's the internet. Another TC out goes to the xbox, but the xbox won't play. I have to disconnect the modem out, and insert a direct connection from modem to xbox in order for xbox to go live.

I have not found an answer for this anywhere. Nor Apple, MS, or RCN will touch this issue.
Have you tried going, modem -> router -> devices?

Vyer

Baconbitz said:
Burstmedia
castlemeadia

run malwarebytes and MS software removal tool (in Safe mode)

Baconbitz said:
Is this gonna fix my lag? Edit: It didn't find shit and spybot is still finding the tracking cookies but, I deleted everything.

2nd Edit: I got rid of the cookie but, I still have substantial lag.

You can also try ComboFix. Make sure u run it in safe mode with networking, its kind of a more advanced malware removal tool but just read the prompts and click yes, you should be straight. It'll also fix up missing files etc. We use it here in our tech department a lot, its good for the really bad infections that mess with your system files, overall speed of the system, etc.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe

uraldix

I have a laptop that is running out of HD space so I copied all of the files to a new drive rebuilt the mbr and swapped the drives but Windows will not work right. It gets to the login background but the option to login never appears (I have waited up to 30 minutes). Same thing happens in "Safe Mode". BIOS does recognize the new drive (SATA)

This is what I have tried so far:
1) Straight copy of the files using a second computer - There are a few errors copying user files for an old user called "owner" and I can't do anything with the folder because it is locked for the admin accounts. This always fails.

2) Image the drive and restore it - This is how I got to where I am now. No errors but windows freezes.

3) Reflashed the bios.

4) Ran chkdsk and it found no errors.

Here are the specs:
Laptop - Gateway MA7 - MX6912
Windows - XP Home w/SP3
HDD: old - 80gb, new - 320gb

Thanks for any help.

ill probably get no reply with this but here goes...

I have an HP TX1000 series laptop. I heard there was an overheating issue with it that eventually burns them out.

2 questions:

I read that this might have to do with the internal wireless not working. Anything I can do to fix it?

Does that mean my precious laptop might bugger out on me one day? It's been going strong over 2 years now (I bought it used on ebay)

Ducarmel

I got an old dell XPS 410 desktop with windows xp.

Earlier today the power in my apartment went out due to somebody in my family forgetting to pay the electricity bill, the PC was on and plugged in a surge protector. Anyway my cousin decides to power up the PC the OS starts to load but once the windows screen comes it freezes and wont load windows.

Top Bottom