• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Ashhong

Wired is RAM in use by system services and key components. Active is RAM that is in use by applications. Inactive is RAM that is not in current use but has been recently used and is being held onto incase an application wishes to use it again, technically it is available to use by any application if needed. Free available RAM that has no information stored in it.

The available RAM left is Inactive + Free. Ram that is being used is Wired + Active

Ah thanks for that. So then ram should not be causing my computer problems right? Seems I have a lot of RAM not being used by applications

wilflare

Screen does not wake from sleep.

Windows 8.1 Pro using the latest the drivers for my GFX, Mobo and etc

I was trying to restore my backup on my PC to my Vita. The system went into sleep after like 30 minutes. I was trying to wake it up but the screen refuses to wake.

I have to hold the power button to reboot. Any idea what happened?

(Is there a way to prevent Sleep when I'm downloading games from Steam or when I am transferring files via USB?)

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
Screen does not wake from sleep.

Windows 8.1 Pro using the latest the drivers for my GFX, Mobo and etc

I was trying to restore my backup on my PC to my Vita. The system went into sleep after like 30 minutes. I was trying to wake it up but the screen refuses to wake.

I have to hold the power button to reboot. Any idea what happened?

(Is there a way to prevent Sleep when I'm downloading games from Steam or when I am transferring files via USB?)

Disable hibernation/monitor sleep in the power options on Windows.

Hip Hop

Got another question.

In games like Counter Strike: Global Offensive and DayZ,

when I search for games, my internet gets knocked off completely on my computer sometimes.

No disconnection icons appear on the Network Icon at all and I don't get disconnected from my Steam friends list. Just the internet gets shut down for some reason.

Anyone have an idea as to why this happens?

Got another question.

In games like Counter Strike: Global Offensive and DayZ,

when I search for games, my internet gets knocked off completely on my computer sometimes.

No disconnection icons appear on the Network Icon at all and I don't get disconnected from my Steam friends list. Just the internet gets shut down for some reason.

Anyone have an idea as to why this happens?

What is the make & model of the modem/router/gateway? Check these two knowledge base:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=4487-YUOC-6922
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1452-HCVB-6984

Akros

Neo Member
my issue here is with a Lenovo x131e ....there was a password set up as a prank by a 13 year old but seemed to forgot to write it down now he nor i cant get to it...i tried to reset it from boot but it just went back to normal boot screen towards the log in screen -___- then tried the launcher repair but when i click it there is a loop of it just asking me again whether to fix or boot normally. also tried to make another admin but failed due to cmd not responding nd just going back to regular boot after loading all those texts ...sigh any help? total hours spent was about 4-5 hours and no luck...i havent tried the password reset using the usb which is what i am going to try tomorrow but if there are any better ideas please respond! also if this doesnt work i am throwing it in mount doom!

Telaso

Banned
my issue here is with a Lenovo x131e ....there was a password set up as a prank by a 13 year old but seemed to forgot to write it down now he nor i cant get to it...i tried to reset it from boot but it just went back to normal boot screen towards the log in screen -___- then tried the launcher repair but when i click it there is a loop of it just asking me again whether to fix or boot normally. also tried to make another admin but failed due to cmd not responding nd just going back to regular boot after loading all those texts ...sigh any help? total hours spent was about 4-5 hours and no luck...i havent tried the password reset using the usb which is what i am going to try tomorrow but if there are any better ideas please respond! also if this doesnt work i am throwing it in mount doom!

If Windows, download this and burn to a disk. I use it at work sometimes when we have special people.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Password-Recovery-Tool/3000-2092_4-10964595.html

Akros

Neo Member
If Windows, download this and burn to a disk. I use it at work sometimes when we have special people.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Password-Recovery-Tool/3000-2092_4-10964595.html
Thank You!
014.jpg

Arren

Recently I've been experiencing a bizzarre problem on my setup, which is leaving me quite clueless and progressively angrier.

Basically what happens is that whenever I make use of any application / game / movie / multimedia software that requires a somewhat intensive use of my GPU, there's a high probability that the PC will reboot itself all of a sudden.

There is no preceding or subsequent message of warning whatsoever. All it does is blank the screen suddenly, then reboot itself like nothing specific happened.

I have checked my system thoroughly, especially the Windows Event Viewer, but the only report I find on the matter reveals an 'ID 41 Event' with lots of zeros on the corresponding description. Needless to say, I've tried all possible solutions: temperatures are seemingly alright and I've tried updating and reinstalling the display driver, still to no avail.

I'd love if some fellow gaffer helped me shed some light on this situation, as this is driving me insane. I can't even play the simplest of emulators, or watch 1080p movies, because whenever I attempt to do such things I can lose whatever progress I had going on in a heartbeat.

My setup:

Motherboard - ASUS P5QC
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
GPU - XFX Nvidia 9800 GTX
RAM - Kingston DDR3 8GB 1333 MHz (4x2)
Soundcard - Asus Xonar Essence ST
SSD Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB
WD Caviar Green 3 TB
WD Caviar Black 1 GB

Thanks in advance for any help.

Husker86

Could that be power supply issues? Similar thing happened to me, but since it was a new card I got a replacement and that fixed it. If that didn't work, I was going to check the PSU next.

Akros

Neo Member
Thank You!
014.jpg

ok ummm tried the solution but had no luck, this contraption refuses to do anything....cant even load from the usb?! also cant go into factory recovery and cant open cmd with safe mode!!??last day to fix or be destroyed!!

Seems like your laptop's HDD is being choked by startup processes upon bootup, from what you've posted above. It could be a particularly aggressive case of Indexing.

Try and disable Indexing and see whether the issue goes away. It could also be Superfetch; preloading all your most frequently used apps into RAM.
I've disabled Superfetch for now, but it still hangs with 5-digit latency at the start. Plus, it's annoying how Intel Display Power Saving keeps turning itself On even after I always set it off.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows when you got the laptop? Often there is a lot of crap software pre loaded that can slow startup when you buy a laptop. Check the startup tab in task manager to see what is starting up and check the impact level. The low, medium, high impact level isn't the most precise but can be a good starting put to figuring out what is slowing your computer on start up.
It's always been Dropbox, but I can't just outright disable it either. Either way, it's spiking at 100% for less than 1 MB/s on the orange-colored tasks, so I don't think it could be that. Besides, it acts normal later on. System peaks for Disk activity too.

Check what is causing that disk activity in resource monitor or process explorer.

Most of the time it seems to be System, but none of the numbers are particularly high. It's measuring writes in KB/s because that's how bad it chokes up at the start.

accx

ok ummm tried the solution but had no luck, this contraption refuses to do anything....cant even load from the usb?! also cant go into factory recovery and cant open cmd with safe mode!!??last day to fix or be destroyed!!

I believe UBCD have password recovery tools. try creating a bootable usb/cd and run that.
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
It's called PcLoginNow. Haven't tried it so ymmv. There should be password recovery tools available if that doesn't work but i can't point to one that will work since i can't recall which one i used to use.

I've disabled Superfetch for now, but it still hangs with 5-digit latency at the start. Plus, it's annoying how Intel Display Power Saving keeps turning itself On even after I always set it off.
It's always been Dropbox, but I can't just outright disable it either. Either way, it's spiking at 100% for less than 1 MB/s on the orange-colored tasks, so I don't think it could be that. Besides, it acts normal later on. System peaks for Disk activity too.
Most of the time it seems to be System, but none of the numbers are particularly high. It's measuring writes in KB/s because that's how bad it chokes up at the start.

Since it's a new laptop i would consider doing a fresh install with a pure windows 8 disk and use the supplied key with the laptop (i think there should be one at least). Just to flush out the crap that comes pre-installed.
I seem to recall that there's programs that can clean out pre-installed software on new laptops but i haven't used one so i'm not comfortable recommending anything.
If it's dropbox that's messing with the boot time, disable it from starting on windows start then? I don't have win 8 installed but it's usually "msconfig" to access startup applications.

bro1

Banned
Sorry, this is a cross post s I did not remember that this thread exsisted. If the Mod can close my old thread, it would be appreciated.

I just built a new PC and absolutely clueless when it comes to networking setup. I currently have Time Warner Cable, with their 50/5 internet package. They gave me a Ubee modem which is plugged into an Apple Extreme AC Router. I have my PC hardwired into the router using CAT 5E and the rest of the house is on wireless (about 8 devices being supported, not all being used at once).

I changed my DNS to Google's open DNS for IPv4 and IPv6. Can anybody share any other tips I should do to ensure that I am getting the most out of my internet service?

Also, how about general PC building tips? I have the system up and running with the chipset and drivers all updated as well as W8.1 patched. My SSD is setup properly (TRIM, ACHI, etc) and I ran Prime95 and Uningine to check for stability. Anything else I should be doing or updating? It seems like I run into a weird PC issue every few weeks that causes me to panic and reformat my drive and start from scratch. Any tips would be appreciated.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member

http://4sysops.com/archives/how-to-...e-microsoft-diagnostics-and-recovery-toolset/

Hopefully that helps. MSDart is a technical tool provided by Windows to people who have access to TechNet. It does everything you could ever possibly need to do if you cannot directly access the OS.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
Sorry, this is a cross post s I did not remember that this thread exsisted. If the Mod can close my old thread, it would be appreciated.

I just built a new PC and absolutely clueless when it comes to networking setup. I currently have Time Warner Cable, with their 50/5 internet package. They gave me a Ubee modem which is plugged into an Apple Extreme AC Router. I have my PC hardwired into the router using CAT 5E and the rest of the house is on wireless (about 8 devices being supported, not all being used at once).

I changed my DNS to Google's open DNS for IPv4 and IPv6. Can anybody share any other tips I should do to ensure that I am getting the most out of my internet service?

Also, how about general PC building tips? I have the system up and running with the chipset and drivers all updated as well as W8.1 patched. My SSD is setup properly (TRIM, ACHI, etc) and I ran Prime95 and Uningine to check for stability. Anything else I should be doing or updating? It seems like I run into a weird PC issue every few weeks that causes me to panic and reformat my drive and start from scratch. Any tips would be appreciated.

As far as I can tell you shouldn't be having any issues with your rig. If you updated all your drivers and regularly maintain your OS. You should not need to reinstall anything.

I personally use CCleaner for the Maintenance it does the job.

Edit: Apologies for the double post - forgot to hit edit.

Sarcasm

Trying to install video drivers after a fresh OS install and the laptop has that two graphics card thing. One is onboard and other is a mobile card.

Onboard is an Intel HD while the other is an ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series.

I am running into the issue that no matter where I get the drivers from (ATI, intel or laptop manu) nothing installs. Even the ATI site can see the GPU but halfway through the install it fails saying it can't detect. So the model is a dm4t-1000, HP.

Dai101

Banned
Trying to install video drivers after a fresh OS install and the laptop has that two graphics card thing. One is onboard and other is a mobile card.

Onboard is an Intel HD while the other is an ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series.

I am running into the issue that no matter where I get the drivers from (ATI, intel or laptop manu) nothing installs. Even the ATI site can see the GPU but halfway through the install it fails saying it can't detect. So the model is a dm4t-1000, HP.

Dissable (if possible) the OnBoard graphic card. Run the installer with Admin privileges.

EDIT: WAIT. Theres something fishy here..... in a Desktop computer you can have both (on board and PCI-E) videos, though only one would work. I can't see how a laptop can have both.

Provide the model number that is located in a sticker at the bottom for a better chance to locate which is the correct one for your equipment.

Sarcasm

It switches. Before it would when unplugged use the onboard less power intel one...when plugged it would switch into the more powerful (slightly) ATI card. Not both at same time. And its a DM4T-1000 HP laptop.

Arren

Could that be power supply issues? Similar thing happened to me, but since it was a new card I got a replacement and that fixed it. If that didn't work, I was going to check the PSU next.
Yeah, thinking about it, I'm afraid that could very well be the culprit.

Do you know some method I could use to troubleshoot it, though? Unfortunately I don't have any spare PSU lying around, so in order to isolate the problem and understand exactly its cause before buying anything new, I would need some way to exclude any other possibilities.

Canon

Banned
My Dell 2709w monitor has a pink/purple vertical line going through it near the end of the screen to the right. It only appears when the computer first powers on, for about 5-10 minutes then it's fine.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
i cant boot anything from usb, have no access cmd mode ....absolutely cant do anything, it just goes to loading and ignores the usb

Usually on laptops the order in terms of priority is CD -> Hard Drive -> USB. Try install that utility program on a CD and see if it works.

Just to be clear you do have have access to the BIOS? (or drive selection?)

If you do not.... you only have two alternative left.

1) Easiest Option: Replace the internal hard drive - easy simple and cheap if you grab an older SSD/low tier hard drive.
2) Hardest Option: Find the reset button/clear cmos button on your laptop's board. Usually those old laptops have either a battery or a switch/jumper on them to reset the BIOS.

Allforce

I've got a question that I need some help with. Here's the situation.

Wife bought a new laptop, Windows 8. Sets it up and she creates a Windows/MSN/whatever account, logs in with that, whatever. I do the same only the first time I stupidly used my XBox Live login since that is tied to a Windows/MSN/whatever account. I went in to control panel, erased that profile, and started from scratch. Fine, we have two logins now, me, and my wife. My wife has since created profiles for our kids, then decided that wasn't what she wanted to do after all and has since deleted those profiles.

My issue is we stream media from this laptop to all over the house, but when any device is searching for compatible devices, it finds our laptop, and all the logins that we created and have since deleted. So instead of just finding ONE laptop with our shared media folder, it will still show like 5 different laptops all with different usernames that we had set up previously (son, daughter, that XBox one, etc) and have deleted from the laptop since then.

How can I pare this down to devices just seeing one laptop user's shared folder on the network? I don't know where else to delete those other users from on the laptop itself.

potam

Banned
I've got a question that I need some help with. Here's the situation.

Wife bought a new laptop, Windows 8. Sets it up and she creates a Windows/MSN/whatever account, logs in with that, whatever. I do the same only the first time I stupidly used my XBox Live login since that is tied to a Windows/MSN/whatever account. I went in to control panel, erased that profile, and started from scratch. Fine, we have two logins now, me, and my wife. My wife has since created profiles for our kids, then decided that wasn't what she wanted to do after all and has since deleted those profiles.

My issue is we stream media from this laptop to all over the house, but when any device is searching for compatible devices, it finds our laptop, and all the logins that we created and have since deleted. So instead of just finding ONE laptop with our shared media folder, it will still show like 5 different laptops all with different usernames that we had set up previously (son, daughter, that XBox one, etc) and have deleted from the laptop since then.

How can I pare this down to devices just seeing one laptop user's shared folder on the network? I don't know where else to delete those other users from on the laptop itself.

I'm too lazy to create/delete a profile on my home computer (sorry), but have you checked the c:\users folder to see if those old profiles are still there? It could be that those profiles' folders still exist and are being shared.

edit: nm tested on a Win7 machine. I doubt they changed the way they handle it in Win8.

Allforce

Well I did locate the 3 profiles in C:\users folder, but it's giving me some garbage about "you need Administrators permission to delete these folders". When I am in fact set up as an Administrator on this machine.

Thanks for the help though, this is farther than I had been getting.

potam

Banned
Well I did locate the 3 profiles in C:\users folder, but it's giving me some garbage about "you need Administrators permission to delete these folders". When I am in fact set up as an Administrator on this machine.

Thanks for the help though, this is farther than I had been getting.

ugh, yeah that can be an annoying problem. There is an "Administrator" account which you may need to manually activate, then login to.

Try running this in a command prompt and then logging into that account:

net user administrator /active:yes

Allforce

First time it gave me a rundown of my profile, I'm logged into my profile as it stands as a and Admin. Tried again and got "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied"

So bizarre. Now when attempting to delete one of the deleted profile's folders under c:users I get a " You require permission from s-1-5-21-1136840272-3884195244-448644810-1006" to make changes to this folder.

Husker86

Yeah, thinking about it, I'm afraid that could very well be the culprit.

Do you know some method I could use to troubleshoot it, though? Unfortunately I don't have any spare PSU lying around, so in order to isolate the problem and understand exactly its cause before buying anything new, I would need some way to exclude any other possibilities.
Maybe disconnect secondary hard drives and anything else not needed to run the computer and then try to duplicate problem?

Might take enough stress off PSU to make it work. Of course, if it still happens you still can't exclude the PSU so it will only really answer your question if you don't get crashes with those things disconnected.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
First time it gave me a rundown of my profile, I'm logged into my profile as it stands as a and Admin. Tried again and got "System error 5 has occurred. Access is denied"

So bizarre. Now when attempting to delete one of the deleted profile's folders under c:users I get a " You require permission from s-1-5-21-1136840272-3884195244-448644810-1006" to make changes to this folder.

You will need to change the folder permissions for those specific folders to be able to delete them.

On Windows 8 - things are done a little differently than Windows 7 (since in Windows 8 you can actually log into your hotmail account and not the useraccount on the computer).

You will need to give yourself access to that folder -> Right click -> Properties -> Security -> Select the user you are currently on -> Provided self with all the powers to change that specific folder.

I've been having a really annoying issue I cannot figure out how to fix.

Usually when you plug a headset/headphones into your front PC ports, it should disable the speakers and use your headphones until they are unplugged, and then go back to using the speakers (connected to the back ports.)

When I plug in my headphones or my USB headset, I have to manually go into sound settings and change my headset to "default device" rather than it being recognized automatically. It's not a huge issue having to manually change it but sometimes I forget and have to alt-tab a game or whatever to get the sound working.

Any help? :)

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
I've been having a really annoying issue I cannot figure out how to fix.

Usually when you plug a headset/headphones into your front PC ports, it should disable the speakers and use your headphones until they are unplugged, and then go back to using the speakers (connected to the back ports.)

When I plug in my headphones or my USB headset, I have to manually go into sound settings and change my headset to "default device" rather than it being recognized automatically. It's not a huge issue having to manually change it but sometimes I forget and have to alt-tab a game or whatever to get the sound working.

Any help? :)

Please provide motherboard details as well as if you are using a sound card.

While we wait for that information. Please update all your drivers on your rig.

Please provide motherboard details as well as if you are using a sound card.

While we wait for that information. Please update all your drivers on your rig.

Sorry, it's an Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo and I'm using the onboard Realtek.

Tried using Realtek's newest drivers yesterday but I still couldn't get it working correctly.

AMUSIX

Hello Tech Support GAF...turning to you because I've exhausted what I know...

my wife has an HP Touchsmart IQ846
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002A6HRQ2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's essentially an overgrown laptop with a touch sensitive screen. Has a GeForce 9600M in it.

This past Christmas, we went away for a week, and when we came back, the color depth on the screen was all fucked. It's locked at displaying in 16bit color, even though the settings in the display control panel and in the Nvidia control panels both show 32bit. Changing them to 16bit results in no change, nor does changing it back. Also, her whites are showing very pink.

Looking at her computer, I can see that both Skype and Steam was installed while we were gone (by the housesitters) but doesn't look like any games were. I've uninstalled those, uninstalled all graphic drivers and reinstalled them, did the same with the Nvidia control panel, CCleaned, malwared, all the basic stuff, but it's still displaying in 16 bit color.

Is there something I'm missing? Could they have run something from steam that auto switched it over and then it never returned? OK, that's far-fetched, but, as I said, I'm out of ideas here.

Persona7

Banned

It's essentially an overgrown laptop with a touch sensitive screen. Has a GeForce 9600M in it.

This past Christmas, we went away for a week, and when we came back, the color depth on the screen was all fucked. It's locked at displaying in 16bit color, even though the settings in the display control panel and in the Nvidia control panels both show 32bit. Changing them to 16bit results in no change, nor does changing it back. Also, her whites are showing very pink.

Looking at her computer, I can see that both Skype and Steam was installed while we were gone (by the housesitters) but doesn't look like any games were. I've uninstalled those, uninstalled all graphic drivers and reinstalled them, did the same with the Nvidia control panel, CCleaned, malwared, all the basic stuff, but it's still displaying in 16 bit color.

Is there something I'm missing? Could they have run something from steam that auto switched it over and then it never returned? OK, that's far-fetched, but, as I said, I'm out of ideas here.

Try burning a linux live cd or sticking one on a USB and boot into it. If it still has issues then it is a hardware issue.

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
Sorry, it's an Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo and I'm using the onboard Realtek.

Tried using Realtek's newest drivers yesterday but I still couldn't get it working correctly.

Make sure your front audio jacks are connected to the motherboard on the HD Audio slot instead of the AC'97 audio slots.

Reference: http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/44491-ac-97-hd-audio-front-panel-layouts.html

Do you have a recovery cd? I see several potential problems.

1) Defective screen
2) Defective GFX card
3) Corrupt drivers
4) Something happened on the BIOS that caused the primary card to switch off.

Easiest & Best solutions:

1) Make sure to check the BIOS if you can disable the onboard graphics card. I understand why Laptop manufacturers include it to reduce power consumption (and in return increase battery life) - but it increases incompatibility and it causes a lot of issues such as the ones you are talking about.
2) Use the recovery CD to completely wipe the laptop and the OS - I would assume it is a corrupt drivers.
3) Talk to the HP Support - Support tend to have a list of potential issues that occur with specific products.

AMUSIX

Try burning a linux live cd or sticking one on a USB and boot into it. If it still has issues then it is a hardware issue.

Do you have a recovery cd? I see several potential problems.

1) Defective screen
2) Defective GFX card
3) Corrupt drivers
4) Something happened on the BIOS that caused the primary card to switch off.

Easiest & Best solutions:

1) Make sure to check the BIOS if you can disable the onboard graphics card. I understand why Laptop manufacturers include it to reduce power consumption (and in return increase battery life) - but it increases incompatibility and it causes a lot of issues such as the ones you are talking about.
2) Use the recovery CD to completely wipe the laptop and the OS - I would assume it is a corrupt drivers.
3) Talk to the HP Support - Support tend to have a list of potential issues that occur with specific products.
Thank you both for the suggestions...will get on them this weekend when I have some time. Going to have to search around for a recovery CD, though I wouldn't mind wiping her system and starting from scratch. I can back up everything important (photos) through mine. Besides, she's still in Vista, and could use the bump to 7.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I posted this in the iPhone 5 thread, but I'll try asking here too: Part of my job includes tech support on iPhone, and today I got a rather unusual case. A customer bought an iPhone 5S in the middle of Dec. last year. The phone says he's got a call time "this period" for about 16 hours, and "lifetime" for about 9 days. The guy thinks the store sold him a used/refurbished iPhone, but when he bought the phone the store transferred his contacts from his old iPhone, and from what I can gather, for some ass-backwards reason, your "lifetime" call time ALSO get transferred when you recover a new iPhone from a backup created from an old iPhone (which I assume is what they did). Is this correct?

mrmisterwaa

Neo Member
I accidentally hit a weird key combination on my brother's Toshiba laptop. Now everything is huge. Any ideas how to fix it?

Cntrl + 0 = Restore zoom to 100%
Cntrl + + = Increase zoom by 1 tier.
Cntrl + - = Decrease zoom by 1 tier.

I posted this in the iPhone 5 thread, but I'll try asking here too: Part of my job includes tech support on iPhone, and today I got a rather unusual case. A customer bought an iPhone 5S in the middle of Dec. last year. The phone says he's got a call time "this period" for about 16 hours, and "lifetime" for about 9 days. The guy thinks the store sold him a used/refurbished iPhone, but when he bought the phone the store transferred his contacts from his old iPhone, and from what I can gather, for some ass-backwards reason, your "lifetime" call time ALSO get transferred when you recover a new iPhone from a backup created from an old iPhone (which I assume is what they did). Is this correct?

Google says Yes.

jred2k

I've been having some really frustrating issues lately with my internet connection being intermittent. It will work fine for a while and then all of a sudden nothing will load on several sites. However, some websites will still load with no problems. For instance, the following screenshot is of the error I see when I try to go to Twitter. Yet, at the same time, GAF loads perfectly except for images hosted on imgur, for example.

It isn't just Chrome I have this issue with either. This happens occasionally in Steam as well. My media player also becomes unable to load in lyrics from Google during these periods.

I've tried rotating cables with my PS3 to see if that was the issue, but it hasn't changed anything. Also, all other devices on my network are able to load fine while my PC isn't. For instance, I could load Twitter fine on my S4 during that screenshot I posted earlier.

This is becoming super annoying and I can't really recreate the problem at will to try and troubleshoot it. Hopefully somebody here could give some steps to try and resolve it. Googling issues with internet connectivity can be a little difficult to sort through as I've found.

For additional information I'm running Windows 8.1 and I can't really remember when the issue started popping up to try and figure out where the problem might have started.

DTKT

I've been having some really frustrating issues lately with my internet connection being intermittent. It will work fine for a while and then all of a sudden nothing will load on several sites. However, some websites will still load with no problems. For instance, the following screenshot is of the error I see when I try to go to Twitter. Yet, at the same time, GAF loads perfectly except for images hosted on imgur, for example.

It isn't just Chrome I have this issue with either. This happens occasionally in Steam as well. My media player also becomes unable to load in lyrics from Google during these periods.

I've tried rotating cables with my PS3 to see if that was the issue, but it hasn't changed anything. Also, all other devices on my network are able to load fine while my PC isn't. For instance, I could load Twitter fine on my S4 during that screenshot I posted earlier.

This is becoming super annoying and I can't really recreate the problem at will to try and troubleshoot it. Hopefully somebody here could give some steps to try and resolve it. Googling issues with internet connectivity can be a little difficult to sort through as I've found.

For additional information I'm running Windows 8.1 and I can't really remember when the issue started popping up to try and figure out where the problem might have started.

Can you try ipconfig /all and give us your DNS servers? I would try setting them to 8.8.8.8 (Google) and see if anything changes.

When I try and play game in borderless fullscreen I get a very noticeable amount of stutter that isn't there when using normal fullscreen. Is this just a common issue with windowed mode or is something else going on?

jred2k

Can you try ipconfig /all and give us your DNS servers? I would try setting them to 8.8.8.8 (Google) and see if anything changes.

Thanks for the reply. My DNS was 192.168.0.1, but I've switched it to 8.8.8.8 and it seems to be solid since. The issue does come and go so I'll need to use it a little longer to make sure it has completely resolved the issue.

My only question is, can this be a permanent solution or is this a temporary fix?

Thanks for the reply. My DNS was 192.168.0.1, but I've switched it to 8.8.8.8 and it seems to be solid since. The issue does come and go so I'll need to use it a little longer to make sure it has completely resolved the issue.

My only question is, can this be a permanent solution or is this a temporary fix?

Permanent.

Maybe not the correct thread,but I'm looking for a good Windows laptop/tablet hybrid which isn't too expensive.

Mainly for work and stuff because sitting at my PC desk has been giving me some RSI on my shoulders lately. Also interested in the tablet part due to touchscreen so I could use basic image editing software with it.

I saw the Lenevo Flex 14 but it doesn't form into a tablet much and good ones seem expensive.

Budget is around £400 for this, £500 max, any recommendations?

Hi guys, I have an incredibly annoying problem.

My LG 22EN43 monitor's colors are off, like seriously off. It's way too bright and when I play games they just look all wrong and washed out. Very annoying.

I tried adjusting the brightness in the NVIDIA control panel, but as soon as I move the slider (for brightness, for example) it doesn't save the setting. It just reverts - although the slider is in a different place now.

I tried going into windows color management to calibrate my colors, but I have the same problem here. Everything keeps resetting immediatly. I tried making new profiles, I downloaded a profile for this specific monitor and I made it the default profile, but to no avail.

It's driving me insane.

I have a GTX780, for what it's worth. Windows 8.1

Husker86

So I figured out my internet speed "issues". I had assumed my gigabit switch wouldn't be a bottleneck, but I hooked PC directly up to modem and am now getting like 800mbps up/down instead of 280.

Even my Nighthawk router, arguable the best available, cuts my speeds to like 500mbps.

I'm happy I'm getting the connection that I'm supposed to now, but I'm sad I have to bypass my expensive router.

Do any gigabit switches actually run at 1000mbps?

Top Bottom