• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Chairhome

Okay, so ever since I switched to Win 8/win8.1 from win 7, I've had BSODs constantly. It usually occurs at random times, I could be browsing the internet, playing a game or watching a video. Someone mentioned before it might just be some driver incompatibilities, but I can't narrow it down.
the errors I've been getting are "kmode_exception_not_handled", "bad_pool_header" and maybe a few others. I've tried using verifier.exe, but that led to BSOD upon restart (and I saw i should remove Daemon Tools, which I did). The only thing pinging a "driver not working properly" in device manager is a USB multi-card reader, which isn't working anymore (which is weird cause it used to work on win 8.1 for a while).
My motherboard is kind of old "ga-ma790x-ud4p" which doesn't have a win 8 driver....
Any thoughts?

Edit: maybe fixed. Googling points to easytune6 as a possible culprit. Uninstalled

Zakkath

My PC is hooked up to my TV with an HDMI cable. Since I got my new computer, it seems the image on the TV shows larger than on my monitor, as if the resolution was not the same. The thing is, they both show as 1920*1080/60hz in my GeForce panel...

Any idea how I could fix this ?

Specs :

Windows 8.1
GTX770

Edit : Problem resolved. This was my issue : http://winsupersite.com/site-files/winsupersite.com/files/uploads/2013/06/w81-scaling-series9-01.jpg For some reason, the slider was setting itself higher when I switched to TV.

I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems with my internet connection. (T3 and T4 timeouts.) Are there any programs I can use to monitor my cable modem? I can access the firmware. The modem is a Motorola SB6141, if that helps any.

Toppot

Thought I would post here rather than the stupid questions thread.

Can I have 2 USB keyboards plugged in and working at the same time, on one Windows 8 machine?

TylerD

Hey techsupport GAF!

I am a budding network admin kind of learning as I go and I have been tasked with setting up Remote Desktop Services on a 2008 R2 server that is in a workgroup. Some user PCs that will connect via RDP are in that workgroup and some are on a domain.

The plan is to make the 2008 R2 server the RDS Host and RDS Licensing server, set up local users on that machine and assign 5 per user RDS CALS to those local users so other users can log on remotely using those local (to the server) user accounts.

My question is, is this even possible?

User CALS are defined as being per "Physical User" so would the licenses have to be applied to the domain user accounts that would be logging in to the 2008 R2 server (as the local users) created on the server or can I just apply the User CALS to the users on the server?

IE: Domain user john.doe RDPs to the 2008 R2 server and logs in as local server user "user1". User1 has the CAL assigned.

scogoth

Hey techsupport GAF!

I am a budding network admin kind of learning as I go and I have been tasked with setting up Remote Desktop Services on a 2008 R2 server that is in a workgroup. Some user PCs that will connect via RDP are in that workgroup and some are on a domain.

The plan is to make the 2008 R2 server the RDS Host and RDS Licensing server, set up local users on that machine and assign 5 per user RDS CALS to those local users so other users can log on remotely using those local (to the server) user accounts.

My question is, is this even possible?

User CALS are defined as being per "Physical User" so would the licenses have to be applied to the domain user accounts that would be logging in to the 2008 R2 server (as the local users) created on the server or can I just apply the User CALS to the users on the server?

IE: Domain user john.doe RDPs to the 2008 R2 server and logs in as local server user "user1". User1 has the CAL assigned.

As far as I know there is no real checking of CAL licences during an RDP session. If you are licensed per person you should be in compliance. You should phone your rep where you bought the licences and ask them if you are in compliance, they will know the nuances best. Technically there will be nothing that stops you from doing this but I'm not sure how it affects your licensed setup.

TylerD

As far as I know there is no real checking of CAL licences during an RDP session. If you are licensed per person you should be in compliance. You should phone your rep where you bought the licences and ask them if you are in compliance, they will know the nuances best. Technically there will be nothing that stops you from doing this but I'm not sure how it affects your licensed setup.

I appreciate the reply. Reading about all the nuances of licensing is making for a very exciting time. /sarcasm

I haven't spoken to a Microsoft rep yet and don't have clearance to purchase any licenses either. So still in the info gathering stage.

zbarron

Hey GAF I'm having a problem with My PC.

My computer was built around December and has been running perfectly until yesterday. I was watching a video when suddenly I Got No Signal from my projector. Now when I turn the computer on I get No signal to the screen. I hold down the power button on my case and it turns off momentarily and then turns on and I do this a few times until it shuts down and stays shut down. I've dealt with POST issues since 2006 but this one is stumping me.

Steps I've tried so far:
Opening case and reseating GPU, RAM and all power connectors
Removing everything but CPU and 1 stick of RAM and trying the HDMI port, VGA, and DVI port on the motherboard
Hooking the computer up to a spare monitor
Trying a different video cable
Reset CMOS button
Clearing CMOS with the battery
Removing all RAM to hear a beep code. There was no beeps.

Things I haven't tried yet:
Reseating CPU and heatsink and checking CPU pins- This step is a pain in the neck and I can't see how a pin could get bent all by itself while the PC isn't being touched but I'm going to go through all possibilities
Buying a new PSU- I'd also like to avoid this for now because if my PSU isn't the problem I really don't want to waste the money.
Booting outside of case- This will probably be my next step.

Spare parts I have
Spare CPU/MoBo- i7 920, ASUS P6T (Not positive it still works. Been in my closet for since December)
Spare GPU- EVGA GTX 560Ti (Not positive still works)

PC Specs:
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard
Intel 4770K CPU
Hyper 212 EVO heatsink
120mm CPU fan
EVGA GTX 670 2GB video card
8GB (2GBx4) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 RAM
WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD
Some $20 SATA DVD drive
CM Storm Sniper Case
BP550 Plus 550W PSU

Solved
It was the USB port on my case that was shorting it out. I unplugged it and it worked immediately.

Can someone explain to me what "Windows Modules Installer Worker" is and why it and System are taking up 33% of my CPU for awhile, then stopping, and then moments later doing it again? I'm new to Windows 8.

TylerD

I appreciate the reply. Reading about all the nuances of licensing is making for a very exciting time. /sarcasm

I haven't spoken to a Microsoft rep yet and don't have clearance to purchase any licenses either. So still in the info gathering stage.

Alright, I have it figured out now and got a quote. 5 server user licenses and 5 remote desktop services user licenses required at a grand total of $680. Microsoft makes a killing on licensing.

Omni

Eeeeeep. Spilt water on my laptop. Like a whole glass. What the hell do I do now?

First thing I did was force shut it down. Then I removed the battery and opened it up. It was wet all the way through so I removed the RAM and DVD drive and wrapped them in tissue to dry.

I've kinda dabbed over the system board and got rid of the most wet parts but now I'm not sure what to do next.

How long should I wait before putting it back together? What are the chances of this breaking my laptop? Gah. I haven't made backups of anything in over a month... Jskwjanuagr

tkSPpQQ.png

Faddy

Banned
Eeeeeep. Spilt water on my laptop. Like a whole glass. What the hell do I do now?

First thing I did was force shut it down. Then I removed the battery and opened it up. It was wet all the way through so I removed the RAM and DVD drive and wrapped them in tissue to dry.

I've kinda dabbed over the system board and got rid of the most wet parts but now I'm not sure what to do next.

How long should I wait before putting it back together? What are the chances of this breaking my laptop? Gah. I haven't made backups of anything in over a month... Jskwjanuagr

A few hours should be fine but overnight is probably advisable. Taking laptops apart isn't always easy and putting them back together can be harder wit all the small ribbon cables.

The HDD should be fine and you should be able to get important stuff off it even if the laptop is damaged beyond repair

Omni

I left it for about 7 hours and had a close look at it. The whole system was dry so I assembled it back together. I press the power button... All is well. It loads to the login page but then I notice the keyboard is spamming letters into the password box. Thinking I just screwed up the ribbon, I turned it off and blah blah blah fixed it.

And that's when the problems started. I turn it on and sometimes times the screen won't work. Other times it gets stuck on this

I took the keyboard off to see if that would help but it doesn't. All the lights and buttons are working. Fan sounds alright too (if not running a bit harder than usual)

It's screwed, isn't it? :s

Reason I put it back together now instead of waiting all night is that I have a 3000 word uni assignment that needs to be done by Monday...

Elija2

Can you try and connect the computer using an RJ45 cable (Ethernet connection) to the router and see if it works? If it works, you might need to change your router's wireless settings. Perhaps even try and reset the router to default configuration to see if it solves the problem.

Sorry for the late reply, but yes I am able to connect using an Ethernet connection and it works just fine. But could it possibly be a problem with my router when I'm having this problem trying to connect to any network?

Hey guys,

My problem started about a month ago. I was playing BF4 and finished a round of MP and when the next map was loading, my monitor wasn't showing any image. I could still hear sound, but no image. So I tried to reboot and it wouldn't turn back on. It would start to, then you could hear it click back off. Wouldn't show the boot menu or anything. Unplugged it and reseated everything and it still wouldn't work. So I just kept trying and trying and eventually it came back on. It worked fine until the power went out and then I couldn't get it to come back on. My guess is it might be power supply related, but I wanted your opinions here before I order a new power supply.

RedSwirl

Sorry it's gotten to the point where I have to ask, but is there a regular laptop shopping advice thread outside the gaming laptop thread?

MikeDown

Banned
So im having issues cloning everything to my new Samsung ssd. When I boot off it, windows goes through the first time setup and loads to a half finished desktop, I receive an error message about not being able to locate certain files. I immagine I just need to reclone the thing any recommendations on programs to use?

Omni

If I get a SATA to USB cable thing and connect it to my laptop's HDD and to a different computer, will I be able to access my personal files from it?

Burger

God damn it. I really struggle to get on with Windows.

For some reason when waking up my PC last night from sleep it blue screened straight away. It said it would automatically restart after it finished collecting data but got stuck on 5%.

I turned it off and on, now it says "A disk read error occured, press ctrl-alt-del to restart"

What a super fucking useless error message. The disk is fine, Windows just boned itself. So now I need to run chkdsk according to the internet. Windows doesn't even bother creating a recovery partition or anything. Without the media (I can't find the disc) you are essentially fucked.

I guess my question is why did this happen?

Zapages

Hi guys,

I was wondering what is the best alternative PDF editor program out there right now to get. I am trying to avoid using Adobe Acrobat Professional.

Thank you in advance. :)

-Zapages

Mr.Mike

I've been having trouble ssh-ing into my schools servers recently. I've managed to pinpoint the issue to having something to do with my internet connection. (Since I can connect just fine using my phones LTE, both from phone and tethered to various computers).

I've power cycled my modem and my router, but it still doesn't work. I think I'm going to have to play around with the settings, but I have no idea where to being. Any ideas?

I've been having trouble ssh-ing into my schools servers recently. I've managed to pinpoint the issue to having something to do with my internet connection. (Since I can connect just fine using my phones LTE, both from phone and tethered to various computers).

I've power cycled my modem and my router, but it still doesn't work. I think I'm going to have to play around with the settings, but I have no idea where to being. Any ideas?

Is your modem, router, or firewall blocking port 22?

Mr.Mike

Is your modem, router, or firewall blocking port 22?

Well, I wasn't able to get into my modem. So I did a hard reset to get access to it. Once I put it into bridged only mode (but not before) I was finally able to SSH in. I didn't notice port 22 being blocked anywhere. But hey, I managed to get it to work.

Thanks for your help!

Mozendo

Guys I really need help, like this problem is really getting on my nerves.

The problem
Whenever there's a place I can type I have to reselect it because for some reason it just stops.

At first I thought this was a mouse and keyboard issue so I I cleaned my keyboard and unplugged my mouse. It wasn't.

I even ran malwarebytes but it couldn't ind a thing.

I don't know what to do :V

Using Windows 7

Moff

I've had problems with my ventilation for about 2 weeks now, they flare up when I play games, even when I Play older games that werent a problem before.
I downloaded a program that allowed me to monitor temperatures and adjust vent speeds, and I noticed temperatures are very high, almost 100°C when I start up games.

what kind of reasons could that have?

I've had problems with my ventilation for about 2 weeks now, they flare up when I play games, even when I Play older games that werent a problem before.
I downloaded a program that allowed me to monitor temperatures and adjust vent speeds, and I noticed temperatures are very high, almost 100°C when I start up games.

what kind of reasons could that have?

Clean the vents. Make sure there is minimal obstructions in the airflow. Perhaps, if confident/capable, reapply thermal compound.

Saphirax

Got a monitor issue I cannot resolve. My old one died so I bought a Dell u2412m. There is no display, it just goes into power save mode. I checked all the cables, tried both VGA and DVI cables and even tried holding the power button - nothing works.

I tested it on my laptop and the monitor works fine. No idea why it doesn't on my PC.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
This is really bumming me out, I could use some help.

I just got cable internet (charter) and for some reason, I can't connect to anything or ping anything at all for random periods of time after booting up a device.

For example: I'll boot up my tower PC, and hamachi will immediately fail to connect, cmd:ping random sites won't return a response, and steam doesn't work. After about 5 minutes, Hamachi will start working, then steam a few minutes later, then I can only get to about half the sites on the internet. I can't get to google, only bing, and most of the search results wont load.

Some other information and rule outs:
-Direct Ethernet to modem.
-No router inbetween.
-Laptop acts the same when hardwired, and does not have hamachi installed for reference.
-I HAVE had full internet a few times where everything worked fine and speeds were as advertised. But most of the time I get this 'half broken' mode.
-Doesn't matter if firewall is on or off.
-Doesn't matter if antivirus is on or off.
-Restarts do seems to reset the random timer. Like if it's talking half an hour, I'll restart and might get hamachi to connect immediately then.
-Don't have any manual adapter settings. Everything is set to auto including IP and DNS.

I don't know what to do. Do I have to freaking call them back here?

r3z0n

Neo Member
Hi guys have a bit of a networking issue.

I have a shitty Cable connection at home currently hooked up to a TP-Link WiFi router. I just purchased an ASUS a68u or w/e its called and it'll be here in a few days.

The Cable modem has a single Ethernet port which I have connected to the WAN of the TP-Link Router, standard stuff.

Basically the problem is that if I connect my consoles to the Internet via my Router I never get full speeds and my NAT is always moderate. When I connect them one at a time via my Modem directly the speeds are much better and the NAT is open.

I was just talking to a friend about the new ASUS router and he suggested I put the Modem into Bridge and have my router handle NAT. He says that its not the Router's fault but instead my setup. What I don't understand is how do I do that, I don't have access to my Modem's admin page. Should I call my ISP? What should I tell them? Will it work?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Omni

Okay well I paid the $50 for a case and stuck the HDD in it... But I can't open my files

All the folders are there. But when I try to open my documents folder it says "click continue to access this folder"... And when I do, nothing happens. The loading bar the top just keeps going

Help?

phalestine

aka iby.h
Okay well I paid the $50 for a case and stuck the HDD in it... But I can't open my files

All the folders are there. But when I try to open my documents folder it says "click continue to access this folder"... And when I do, nothing happens. The loading bar the top just keeps going

Help?
The problem is that your drive is ntfs formated. Right click folder and go to properties then security, advance. Then click your name, then Check the "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". You may need to set privileges, but try that first .

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This is really bumming me out, I could use some help.

I just got cable internet (charter) and for some reason, I can't connect to anything or ping anything at all for random periods of time after booting up a device.

For example: I'll boot up my tower PC, and hamachi will immediately fail to connect, cmd:ping random sites won't return a response, and steam doesn't work. After about 5 minutes, Hamachi will start working, then steam a few minutes later, then I can only get to about half the sites on the internet. I can't get to google, only bing, and most of the search results wont load.

Some other information and rule outs:
-Direct Ethernet to modem.
-No router inbetween.
-Laptop acts the same when hardwired, and does not have hamachi installed for reference.
-I HAVE had full internet a few times where everything worked fine and speeds were as advertised. But most of the time I get this 'half broken' mode.
-Doesn't matter if firewall is on or off.
-Doesn't matter if antivirus is on or off.
-Restarts do seems to reset the random timer. Like if it's talking half an hour, I'll restart and might get hamachi to connect immediately then.
-Don't have any manual adapter settings. Everything is set to auto including IP and DNS.

I don't know what to do. Do I have to freaking call them back here?

Redundant question, but have you tried pinging a direct ip address like 8.8.8.8 ? It sounds like a dns problem. Perhaps you can speak with your isp and get some specific dns servers from your ip and test that. other things to try are resetting your tcp/ip and winsock (both done in the cmd).

Hi guys have a bit of a networking issue.

I have a shitty Cable connection at home currently hooked up to a TP-Link WiFi router. I just purchased an ASUS a68u or w/e its called and it'll be here in a few days.

The Cable modem has a single Ethernet port which I have connected to the WAN of the TP-Link Router, standard stuff.

Basically the problem is that if I connect my consoles to the Internet via my Router I never get full speeds and my NAT is always moderate. When I connect them one at a time via my Modem directly the speeds are much better and the NAT is open.

I was just talking to a friend about the new ASUS router and he suggested I put the Modem into Bridge and have my router handle NAT. He says that its not the Router's fault but instead my setup. What I don't understand is how do I do that, I don't have access to my Modem's admin page. Should I call my ISP? What should I tell them? Will it work?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Speak with your isp, let them know you are looking to bridge your cable modem. If it was a modem purchased (or leased) through them, they should have that firmware information. Sometimes that information is also listed on the label on the modem, or even on the internet. Look up the model number and all that jazz.

Moff

Clean the vents. Make sure there is minimal obstructions in the airflow. Perhaps, if confident/capable, reapply thermal compound.

yeah the thermal compound was my best guess after googling. sadly I dont feel very confident about it, but I'll give it a try. thank you.

Torraz

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but I have a problem with one game - Dark Souls - in particular.

Whenever I play with a USB gamepad (be it the official xbox 360), or my PS 4 controller which is emulated as a 360 pad, I get mini lag stutters two to three times in a row, every 10 seconds or so. When looking at the task manager I don't see any sudden increase in CPU-usage or some such. I have also tried disconnecting all other USB devices, save for the mouse.

As soon as I disconnect the gamepad from the PC the problem disappears.

Any idea what could be causing this? I have found several threads on various forums on the internet, but it seems few people have solved the problem.

Thanks!

If someone could help me I would really appreciate it...

My internet keeps cutting out. Like, I will be on the internet and there will be connections available, but suddenly it just cuts and says there are no connections available. Restarting the computer or putting it into sleep mode briefly fixes this but it's impacting my schoolwork and gaming now. For example: taking an online quiz and suddenly losing internet connection is NOT a good combination <_<

The same thing happens in Safe Mode too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If someone could help me I would really appreciate it...

My internet keeps cutting out. Like, I will be on the internet and there will be connections available, but suddenly it just cuts and says there are no connections available. Restarting the computer or putting it into sleep mode briefly fixes this but it's impacting my schoolwork and gaming now. For example: taking an online quiz and suddenly losing internet connection is NOT a good combination <_<

The same thing happens in Safe Mode too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Connection? Wifi or Lan?

Router? Make, location?

Computer? Laptop or PC?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My sons laptop has just started randomly crashing while playing minecraft. I've done a fresh install of windows 8.1 and it has almost nothing on it except java 7, minecraft and office 2013. Graphics drivers are the latest signed windows ones. Sometimes it just stops responding and java can be shut down from the task manager, other times it resets the computer. It only seems to happen while playing multiplayer.

This is crashing about every 10 minutes. Any ideas where I go from here?

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Redundant question, but have you tried pinging a direct ip address like 8.8.8.8 ? It sounds like a dns problem. Perhaps you can speak with your isp and get some specific dns servers from your ip and test that. other things to try are resetting your tcp/ip and winsock (both done in the cmd).

I haven't tried that, no. Next time it acts up I will though. I've been getting lucky so far with boot ups this past night, where it gives me full access after about 20 seconds. Thanks for the suggestion.

hey guys wondering if you can help me with this problem i recently bought a video card and i went to try it out on some games and every time i try to run a games even on emulators the internet disconnects but id doesn't disconnect if i do anything else this didn't happen before i got the new video card i have the latest drivers for the card the video card is a EVGA GeForce GTX 760 w/ EVGA ACX Cooling super clocked edition

My computer specs are
Windows 7 ultimate
i5 4570 @3.2 gh
4 Gb of ram
PSU XFX TS 550 watt
motherboard is Gigabyte B85-HD3

paskowitz

Ok GAF, first major issue with my new PC. I have an ASRock EXTREME 4 mobo and I was updating the BIOS through the A-Tuning utility (mobo utility for Windows). The update downloaded and then my computer automatically restarted.

The BIOS screen started up and then, it just stayed there. I waited 5 minutes, nothing. I tried hitting all the boot keys, DEL, F2, F11, etc. Only TAB worked to switch to the alternate BIOS screen. No keys worked at this screen either.

I thought my keyboard may be broken, but I tried it in another computer and it worked perfectly. I then tried a new keyboard. Didn't work either. Nothing seems to work.

I tried restarting, trying again, restarting...nothing works.

Is there a way I can flash the BIOS without any key inputs? Will any of the data on my HDDs be affected? I already sent an email to ASRock, but I figured GAF may be faster.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I got one for GAF.

Was using a USB mic for my PC and about a week ago it magically stopped registering it. The mic has no drivers and I checked all other drivers for my USB hub and audio card, all are up to date. I then attempted to use a 3.5mm jacked mic (3 seperate mics) and it will not pick up my voice at all but it sees the mic as being there. I am running windows 8.

The only thing I could think of is I installed DirectX 11.5 around that time. Anyone know if it is related to that?

does your computer go into sleep or hibernate mode? and do you have an internal or external audio card

Calibus

Music CD will play fine in my vehicle. When I try to play it on my PC or laptop the music is so faint and broken that it is un-listenable.

My only thought is some kind of DRM. Anyone else run into this and if it is not DRM, do you know a fix?

catmincer

Music CD will play fine in my vehicle. When I try to play it on my PC or laptop the music is so faint and broken that it is un-listenable.

My only thought is some kind of DRM. Anyone else run into this and if it is not DRM, do you know a fix?

Is it all CDs or just some? As coincidental as it is, maybe clean the lens in both the laptop and PC drives.

I got a though one for GAF.

I have these old, wooden speakers from the early 2000s that MIGHT still work. The problem is that they don't have the standard audio jack+power supply connector, but rather, they connect to the stereo through electric wires that go into a series of terminals.
pics:
the wires go here

the speakers:

Is it possible to make it so they can be used with a PC?

Top Bottom