• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Please help me out:

dxv.png

Can anyone tell me exactly which Radeon 4800 series card I have, given this info?

v1lla21

Hey guys, how can I restore my PC by deleting everything and starting fresh with windows? So when I built my PC a while back, I ended up getting windows 7 pirated. I then paid for Windows 8 upgrade and never saved my key. Is there anyway I can get my key back and also restore Windows 8?

Please help me out:

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/14/06/19/dxv.png[IMG]

Can anyone tell me exactly which Radeon 4800 series card I have, given this info?[/QUOTE]

Easy, you have the Radeon HD 4870 card. Only the HD 4870 variant ever came with GDDR5 (It was actually the first card on the consumer market to come with that memory type). The HD 4850 still used GDDR3, and that was the main differentiator between the cards, since they both had the same number of Shaders (800).

derExperte

Easy, you have the Radeon HD 4870 card. Only the HD 4870 variant ever came with GDDR5 (It was actually the first card on the consumer market to come with that memory type). The HD 4850 still used GDDR3, and that was the main differentiator between the cards, since they both had the same number of Shaders (800).

Thanks for your help! You didn't have to rub it in by saying it was "easy" though, lol.

Haint

Anyone know of a way in Windows 7 or 8 to highlight multiple folders and have some right click dialog that will move all their contents to the directory/folder they're in? More specifically, say I've got a Game Saves folder and in that folder are like 100 folders of specific tiles(e.g. Witcher, Borderlands, etc...) that contain the actual saves. I want to just highlight all those 100's of folders and dump the actual saves to the Game Saves folder without having to go through the title specific folders one by one copy pasting them out.

Quick

Banned
I'm having an issue getting my Windows 8 disc to read on my PC. I picked up a new hard drive and want to install Windows 8 on it.

I restart my PC with the new drive and the install disc in, and I get a disk boot failure message.

I tried putting the install disc on both drives, and I get no luck. Tried USB and that didn't work either. Am I missing something?

jas0

Neo Member
I'm having an issue getting my Windows 8 disc to read on my PC. I picked up a new hard drive and want to install Windows 8 on it.

I restart my PC with the new drive and the install disc in, and I get a disk boot failure message.

I tried putting the install disc on both drives, and I get no luck. Tried USB and that didn't work either. Am I missing something?

Sounds like your boot order in BIOS is only going to your new (blank) hard drive. You either need to make the disc drive with Windows 8 installer boot first in the BIOS or boot menu.

ScOULaris

Is it possible to route a specific website's IP through a particular gateway when using two connections?

Here's my setup. On my work computer, we are connected to a domain and subject to its blocking rules. I'm trying to access one particular site that is currently blocked by tethering my phone's connection, but I'd also like to keep my domain connection active for all of the intranet sites and Outlook.

Is there any way to route a specific site through my tethered phone's gateway using route commands in the command line? I feel like there should be, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Druz

Hey guys, how can I restore my PC by deleting everything and starting fresh with windows? So when I built my PC a while back, I ended up getting windows 7 pirated. I then paid for Windows 8 upgrade and never saved my key. Is there anyway I can get my key back and also restore Windows 8?

Produkey
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

But if you have window 8, you can start fresh by using the Reset option. If you have windows 8.1 installed it's accessible by a quick search on your OS. If you only have Windows 8, you are a dummy -- and can access this by holding down Shift + Left clicking on the Restart computer option

scogoth

Is it possible to route a specific website's IP through a particular gateway when using two connections?

Here's my setup. On my work computer, we are connected to a domain and subject to its blocking rules. I'm trying to access one particular site that is currently blocked by tethering my phone's connection, but I'd also like to keep my domain connection active for all of the intranet sites and Outlook.

Is there any way to route a specific site through my tethered phone's gateway using route commands in the command line? I feel like there should be, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Set the tether connection to a higher priority. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526067

It should try the tether connection first and when that fails for the intranet and outlook it will fall back to the office LAN.

v1lla21

Produkey
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

But if you have window 8, you can start fresh by using the Reset option. If you have windows 8.1 installed it's accessible by a quick search on your OS. If you only have Windows 8, you are a dummy -- and can access this by holding down Shift + Left clicking on the Restart computer option
Have 8.1 and already tried doing reset but it won't let me. It says something about missing files or components and that they can be found on my recovery disk that came with Windows. The problem is I don't have one.

ScOULaris

Set the tether connection to a higher priority. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2526067

It should try the tether connection first and when that fails for the intranet and outlook it will fall back to the office LAN.
Thanks for the suggestion, but no dice. The only way the tethered connection takes over is if I completely disable the PC's internal network adapter. Of course when I do that I can't use anything intranet-related.

My next attempt was launching Chrome through ForceBindIP and pointing it to my tethered phone's IP, but something stops any internet from coming through when I do that. If I launch Chrome without ForceBindIP under that same scenario it works fine.

I think I might be out of options when it comes to using my phone's connection in tandem with my work connection.

hey TechGAF. Looking for some help/advice.

Alright need some help guys. Picked up one of the 290X's off Amazon and trying to get things going. I'm seeing a lot of tearing and stretching randomally. Happens at any time. Other strange thing is that games get forced to Windowed Mode after a short period of time. If I go back to full screen, it'll jump back to Windowed shortly after.

i'm using the latest AMD drivers and uninstalled all Nvidia drivers. I've ran in Safe Mode and havn't seen issues there. I ran Furmark and actually saw no issues during that. I've seen tearing/stretching on the desktop, browsing the web, Just Cause2, Goat Simulator, etc.

My system :

i5-2500k
Seasonic 550W
ASUS P8Z68-V LX
Gigabyte R9 290X

I've re installed the drivers as well. Any thoughts guys? Really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Chaplain

I need some help.

I have a 3GPP2 Audio/Video (.3g2) file that does not play audio on a Windows 8.1 PC. None of the extensions (codecs) that I have found online will allow the audio to play. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I asked this in the World Cup thread as well but figured it wouldn't hurt to post here; A friend of mine is trying to set up a projector for the US-Portugal game, and the stream is coming out as a bit laggy. He connected the projector to his laptop. I was wondering if there would be any solutions to this, I said it was probably just the stream itself (and I checked and I had some minor stuttering as well). His TV's in the room over (projecting it in the garage) and if there was some way we could connect the TV via projector or improve the quality of the stream somehow (another friend suggested putting the laptop in to project only) that would be fantastic.

Oh boy. My external HDD makes three clicks and then stops spinning whenever I plug it in through USB.

Is it possible I can still save some data off it if I plug it directly to my computer? I have a lot of family pictures I don't wanna lose.

linkboy

I'm having an issue with Chrome where I can't install anything. Basically, I can't connect to any of Google's servers.

I can't install the browser unless I use the offline installer (it tells me I can't connect to the internet and to whitelist ChromeUpdater.exe, yet my firewall is off)

If I install via the offline installer, I can't install any extensions (I get a download interrupted error and it tells me that no file when it tries to download the crx).

It does it both under Windows 8.1 Update and Linux, so I've pretty much figured it's gotta be a network issue. My problem is that I'm currently deployed and I have no way to address the issue if it's a network problem.

I've tried it on two different wireless connections and I got the same result. I'm going to tether to my phone when I get off work and see if it works that way (which will tell me if it's a network issue)

Quick

Banned
Sounds like your boot order in BIOS is only going to your new (blank) hard drive. You either need to make the disc drive with Windows 8 installer boot first in the BIOS or boot menu.

I did this and it didn't work.

In any case, I got it installed using the installer inside the USB within Windows 8.

I do have another issue entirely:

Installed Windows 8 on a new 1TB drive, took out my old 500GB drive, rebooted, and I'm stuck on the Motherboard splash screen with no option to enter the BIOS setting.

Hooking up the old drive got it working again. I left the 1TB drive as a backup drive, and put Windows 8 back in the 500GB drive.

I'd prefer to just have the 1TB drive in there as my only drive, but I can live with the current setup.

yea well it seems i have some sort of toolbar virus or whatever. Its called my searchdial and i was seemingly able to get it off of my browsers however its still in the computer the file itself. I cant uninstall it, it wont let me. Anyone run into this thing before and anyway i can get rid of it. Is it a major issue or just a minor annoyance?

I have a desktop with windows xp and every time I try to put the PC on standby it wakes right back up. It also does that when I put it on hibernate. This has never happened to me before. I don't know what's making it do that.

Ok. So, I'm working on this old machine for my grandpa's friend. Reformatted it, got rid of all the bloatware HP installs with WinXP, installed service pack 3, and fully updated. On the home stretch to calling it done I ran Auslogic's DiskDefrag and got a BSoD...

Now the PC won't go past the HP splash screen on boot. The logo images have artifacts and I can't get into system recovery or bios...

I've tried:
-Unplugging the PC for a while
-Booted with the HDD unplugged
-Removed the CMOS battery for a while and put it back in
-Booted with no CMOS battery

All lead to the same result of being frozen on the HP splash screen that you see right when you turn the machine on.

Help please!

UPDATE:
I tried taking the RAM out and put them back in one by one. This seems to of magically fixed it.

Do you by any chance have Wake Up on LAN enabled for the machine in the BIOS settings?

Also try checking the BIOS for other "Wake Up on" activity settings.

In XP, head to Device Manager in the Control Panel and have a look at any hardware/peripherals (e.g. Keyboard/Mouse/etc) that could possibly wake up your PC from any related activity.

That's all I got.

Do you by any chance have Wake Up on LAN enabled for the machine in the BIOS settings?

Also try checking the BIOS for other "Wake Up on" activity settings.

In XP, head to Device Manager in the Control Panel and have a look at any hardware/peripherals (e.g. Keyboard/Mouse/etc) that could possibly wake up your PC from any related activity.

That's all I got.

I've tried that and none of it works. And there's no Wake up on LAN option in the XP BIos.

I've tried that and none of it works. And there's no Wake up on LAN option in the XP BIos.

I was referring to the system BIOS itself (the first thing you see when you boot up your system), not the OS (Windows XP) which loads up later on.

You can usually access that by quickly hammering on the F2 key (required key varies from manufacturer brand to manufacture brand.) the moment you boot up your PC, before the system moves on to the OS.

Unless of course you've already tried that, if so, just disregard this post.

I was referring to the system BIOS itself (the first thing you see when you boot up your system), not the OS (Windows XP) which loads up later on.

You can usually access that by quickly hammering on the F2 key (required key varies from manufacturer brand to manufacture brand.) the moment you boot up your PC, before the system moves on to the OS.

Unless of course you've already tried that, if so, just disregard this post.
Yea I already did that and there's no LAN option.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
in outlook 2013, is there any way to get the mini calendar to be visible in the inbox view - preferably in the left column where folders are normally.

My email is normally quite a narrow window, and if I pin the calendar it takes up an entire column on the right to itself which is no good. I only need the next couple of appointments and the folders column has plenty of space I can spare.

Hey Tech-GAF, any advice on configuring Tomcat 6.x to write the tomcat.out contents to a file using log4j instead of juli? I can't seem to make it work, it writes the file but puts nothing in it:

log4j.rootLogger=WARN,CATALINA

# Define all the appenders
log4j.appender.CATALINA=org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.CATALINA.File=${catalina.home}/logs/ssl.log
log4j.appender.CATALINA.Append=true
log4j.appender.CATALINA.Encoding=UTF-8

#Logging levels
log4j.logger.org.apache=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina]=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.core=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.realm=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.catalina.session=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.jasper.compiler.JspRuntimeContext=DEBUG
log4j.logger.org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse=DEBUG

Basically I'm looking to get the SSL handshake info to troubleshoot an intermittent handshake issue on Tomcat. I cant get that in tomcat.out easily enough, but there is no timestamp so it is not useful for lining up events. It seems the default logger can't do that so you have to use log4j instead.

iTunes help request: My fiancee has had iTunes for years and used it on her PC primarily. She now has an iPad. She purchased some iTunes songs on her iPad using the same Apple ID as linked with her iTunes on her PC, but she notices that her PC does not auto-add the purchases, or rather, doesn't seem to add them at all. Is there a way to add these songs to her PC library without physically plugging in the iPad each time?

kennah

iTunes help request: My fiancee has had iTunes for years and used it on her PC primarily. She now has an iPad. She purchased some iTunes songs on her iPad using the same Apple ID as linked with her iTunes on her PC, but she notices that her PC does not auto-add the purchases, or rather, doesn't seem to add them at all. Is there a way to add these songs to her PC library without physically plugging in the iPad each time?

Store - Check for Available Downloads.

Azulsky

I was going to try the Samsung Migration Tool but it is only letting me copy 3 of my 4 partitions from my HDD to my SSD even though the SSD has more capacity,

Oh well back to acronis

Rufus

That article is ancient and might not be applicable any more.
The official instructions: https://justgetflux.com/linux.html They're from 2011 instead of 2009, but possibly outdated as well.
Look through here as well. Should be your first stop for any Ubuntu issues anyway. Pay attention to what version they're talking about. 14.04 is the most recent and I suspect that's what you have?
http://askubuntu.com/search?q=f.lux

If you can't find a solution in the end I would suggest Redshift instead. Does the same thing as Flux. it should be in the official repositories, so just open Synaptic or the Software Centre and search for it or just type "sudo apt-get install redshift" into a terminal.

scogoth

You can go to the iTunes Store page within iTunes and click Purchased on the right side of the page. This lets you see and redownload any purchases you made. Make sure to check the iTunes preferences>Store>Music under Automatic Downloads to see if it is on or off.

hiroshawn

Banned
That article is ancient and might not be applicable any more.
The official instructions: https://justgetflux.com/linux.html They're from 2011 instead of 2009, but possibly outdated as well.
Look through here as well. Should be your first stop for any Ubuntu issues anyway. Pay attention to what version they're talking about. 14.04 is the most recent and I suspect that's what you have?
http://askubuntu.com/search?q=f.lux

If you can't find a solution in the end I would suggest Redshift instead. Does the same thing as Flux. it should be in the official repositories, so just open Synaptic or the Software Centre and search for it or just type "sudo apt-get install redshift" into a terminal.

You have to run the commands they list in the Terminal (a command line interface). Check out https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal for a quick intro.

Boom thanks guys.

Store - Check for Available Downloads.

You can go to the iTunes Store page within iTunes and click Purchased on the right side of the page. This lets you see and redownload any purchases you made. Make sure to check the iTunes preferences>Store>Music under Automatic Downloads to see if it is on or off.

Thanks. Seems like we were missing these options some how, and most info we found online seemed to be for older versions of iTunes.

Several Windows laptops and one Macbook connected to Wi-Fi. All the Windows machines have no issues, the Macbook gets shitty connection, taking a long time to load pages and sometimes failing to load the page at all.

The sample size makes me thing this is a mac-specific issue. What do I do.

Jumped into PC gaming recently as managed to get some parts for free. Setup is

Asus 990FX Sabertooth rev 2 Motherboard
8350 AMD CPU
R9 280X Sapphire Duel X OC GPU
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Ram
128 GB Corsair Force GS SSD
Corsair RM750 PSU
Fractal Node 605

Machine is on a lot as provides Live TV and Media to main TV in the house. I have steam big picture mode for gaming. Played through RE4 with no issue, now am going through Metro Last Light and perhaps once a night it freezes and only a hard reset can get the machine working again. I dont think its heat as the profile sets all case fans to 100% at 40c and cpu fan speed is fast upto 100% from 40 to 50c. When checking temps during gaming nothing really goes above 50c.

The crash is often black screen or vertical coloured lines during graphically intensive parts, occasionally the sound effects / music continue.

I've looked online at found some recommendations on enforcing constant voltage and switching off ULPS on the GPU. I've done this via trixx and thought it worked until after a couple of hours a crash like all the others happened.

I have seen advice on turning down the core mhz speed from 1020, but why should I, I pay for this speed and dont want to do this if avoidable. I have tried lowering the mhz prior enforcing constant voltage and disabling ULPS and noted slightly worse frame rates and anyway it still crashed.

Any advice greatly appreciated

DarkKyo

Having an issue here:

Around March I built a new PC. I started with 16 GB(2X8) of memory and things have been working out just fine with that. Though recently I've been wanting more RAM so I ordered another single 8 GB stick and just installed it today. The problem is that both the BIOS and Windows 7 aren't picking up the new RAM, they both still say 16 GB and not 24. I've tried it in both DIMM1 and DIMM3(2 and 4 were taken up by the 2X8 already) and neither has made a difference. Is there something special I need to do to add the new RAM to the system or update the readings? Or is there a way to detect and use the RAM that I haven't done yet?

Should be a simply query to most people familiar with tech stuff... help would be much appreciated!

Vyer

Several Windows laptops and one Macbook connected to Wi-Fi. All the Windows machines have no issues, the Macbook gets shitty connection, taking a long time to load pages and sometimes failing to load the page at all.

The sample size makes me thing this is a mac-specific issue. What do I do.

I'd check to see if you have the router firmware updated and any MacBook updates run.

CornDogg

Having an issue here:

Around March I built a new PC. I started with 16 GB(2X8) of memory and things have been working out just fine with that. Though recently I've been wanting more RAM so I ordered another single 8 GB stick and just installed it today. The problem is that both the BIOS and Windows 7 aren't picking up the new RAM, they both still say 16 GB and not 24. I've tried it in both DIMM1 and DIMM3(2 and 4 were taken up by the 2X8 already) and neither has made a difference. Is there something special I need to do to add the new RAM to the system or update the readings? Or is there a way to detect and use the RAM that I haven't done yet?

Should be a simply query to most people familiar with tech stuff... help would be much appreciated!

Could be a bad DIMM. Try removing one of the DIMMs from slot 2 or 4 and replace it with the new DIMM. If you get dropped down to 8 GB, the new DIMM is probably faulty.

DarkKyo

Could be a bad DIMM. Try removing one of the DIMMs from slot 2 or 4 and replace it with the new DIMM. If you get dropped down to 8 GB, the new DIMM is probably faulty.

Really?? It's a brand new motherboard(as of March) so I'd be surprised if the slots were lousy, and the idea that both 1 and 3 were faulty is a bit hard to believe. I should note that the motherboard DID detect the new RAM when I first booted the computer - it was something like "The physical memory has been modified - boot to BIOS to configure? Yes/No".. And looking at the stats in the BIOS does reveal that the new occupied slot did have something in it, it's just that the BIOS couldn't display stats about it(like manufacturer) besides the fact that it was a newly occupied slot... So I feel like the BIOS can "see" the new RAM stick, just not.. like.. activate it or something..

I'm not saying what you suggested was wrong at all, it's just a bit hard to believe I guess :/

Also, thanks for the quick response!

CornDogg

Really?? It's a brand new motherboard(as of March) so I'd be surprised if the slots were lousy, and the idea that both 1 and 3 were faulty is a bit hard to believe. I should note that the motherboard DID detect the new RAM when I first booted the computer - it was something like "The physical memory has been modified - boot to BIOS to configure? Yes/No".. And looking at the stats in the BIOS does reveal that the new occupied slot did have something in it, it's just that the BIOS couldn't display stats about it(like manufacturer) besides the fact that it was a newly occupied slot... So I feel like the BIOS can "see" the new RAM stick, just not.. like.. activate it or something..

I'm not saying what you suggested was wrong at all, it's just a bit hard to believe I guess :/

Also, thanks for the quick response!

Not necessarily saying the slots are bad. Saying that the new stick of RAM could be bad. By putting the new stick into a slot that you know is working, you're ruling some things out. If your total system memory drops to 8 GB, the new stick might be bad. If it stays at 16 GB, it could be a problem with slots 1 and 3.

Also, what is the make/model of the motherboard? And manufacturer, type, and speed of the memory (all 3 sticks)?

You shouldn't have to do anything to enable the new memory. So long as it's compatible with the motherboard, isn't faulty, and is seated correctly, it should work.

DarkKyo

Not necessarily saying the slots are bad. Saying that the new stick of RAM could be bad. By putting the new stick into a slot that you know is working, you're ruling some things out. If your total system memory drops to 8 GB, the new stick might be bad. If it stays at 16 GB, it could be a problem with slots 1 and 3.

Also, what is the make/model of the motherboard? And manufacturer, type, and speed of the memory (all 3 sticks)?

You shouldn't have to do anything to enable the new memory. So long as it's compatible with the motherboard, isn't faulty, and is seated correctly, it should work.

That makes sense... Hmm. The motherboard is MSI Z87-G45, recommended by the build a PC thread.
I took a couple screenshots in BIOS comparing the healthy sticks/slots to the anomalous stick/slot.
Board Explorer
jIRb3Do.png
vs.
LFi9xqa.png

OC Stats
A6Z2xXB.png
vs.
4Oca8Ml.png

First sticks I put in, back in March: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I763AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

New stick I just put in: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG9E7O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You know, just judging by the price difference I should probably just return the stick I just got and buy that 2X8 set again :p

CornDogg

First sticks I put in, back in March: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I763AW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

New stick I just put in: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG9E7O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You know, just judging by the price difference I should probably just return the stick I just got and buy that 2X8 set again :p

Might be a good idea to do that anyway. Looking at that particular motherboard model, it looks like it employs a dual channel mode for performance purposes. If that mode is enabled, slots 2 and 4 have to be populated or all 4 slots have to be populated for it to work.

You might want to check to see of that setting is enabled. If so, that could also explain why the third DIMM isn't being "enabled". If that's the case, you can try disabling the setting, which may impact performance to some degree (though you'll also be getting additional system resources in total) or return the single stick of RAM for the 2-pack, keep dual channel mode enabled, and revel in the unleashed badassery of a (relative) shit ton of memory.

DarkKyo

Might be a good idea to do that anyway. Looking at that particular motherboard model, it looks like it employs a dual channel mode for performance purposes. If that mode is enabled, slots 2 and 4 have to be populated or all 4 slots have to be populated for it to work.

You might want to check to see of that setting is enabled. If so, that could also explain why the third DIMM isn't being "enabled". If that's the case, you can try disabling the setting, which may impact performance to some degree (though you'll also be getting additional system resources in total) or return the single stick of RAM for the 2-pack, keep dual channel mode enabled, and revel in the unleashed badassery of a (relative) shit ton of memory.

Interesting stuff! That would definitely explain why a single DIMM being populated wouldn't work... Well then I think I'll do just that, good thing Amazon has such an easy return policy/system :)

Thanks so much for all the knowledge on this subject and my problem in general!

CornDogg

Interesting stuff! That would definitely explain why a single DIMM being populated wouldn't work... Well then I think I'll do just that, good thing Amazon has such an easy return policy/system :)

Thanks so much for all the knowledge on this subject and my problem in general!

No problem!

Top Bottom