• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Druz

I noticed in the last 2 weeks or so that Netflix would suddenly kick out of full screen when the window lost focus (ie: doing something on the second screen). It was always fine before but now for some reason it won't stay in full screen.

I'm on Chrome on Windows 8.1.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing silverlight but it didn't fix it.

Btw, didn't Netflix announce a while ago that they were ditching Silverlight? Stupid piece of crap plugin.

If you're on 8.1 isn't it using HTML5? Check for Chrome updates. Settings -> about google chrome.

Also, as a fellow 8.1 user I'm surprised you aren't using the netflix app.

Back for tips.

My sister has new laptop (i7 and all that jazz) It has win 8, now I told her not to download shit until i put anti virus in there but she didn't listen and now the computer is filled with malware and spyware and it's running crappy.

How should I go about fixing this. Thanks.

Malwarebytes and sysinternals. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Get your nerd on. Youll learn a thing or two. Or connect to me via teamviewer and I'll make it like new in 30 minutes.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey TechSupportGAF. Got a question for you. So I've got a shitty Intel HD Graphics integrated graphics card. I'd like to update the drivers but it uses custom HP drivers and Windows absolutely refuses to allow me to replace them with generic Intel drivers. This sucks, because the HP drivers haven't been updated in years, while the Intel drivers were last updated earlier this year. Is there anything I can do to force my system to use the Intel drivers? Is it even recommended that I do so? I'm just trying to do anything I can to get even a small performance boost out of my shitty integrated graphics.

(I know the obvious answer is "buy a new graphics card". Yeah, I'd do that if I weren't dirt poor. :lol)

Hey TechSupportGAF. Got a question for you. So I've got a shitty Intel HD Graphics integrated graphics card. I'd like to update the drivers but it uses custom HP drivers and Windows absolutely refuses to allow me to replace them with generic Intel drivers.

(I know the obvious answer is "buy a new graphics card". Yeah, I'd do that if I weren't dirt poor. :lol)

I'm assuming this is a standalone desktop system, yes?

Have you tried the ol' uninstall-force install generic VGA drivers-install your preferred drivers method?

Here's how:-

1. Uninstall your custom HP Intel Integrated graphics drivers.

2. Your desktop will appear all low res and fuzzy. That's normal.

2. At this point Windows will ask you to reboot the system. DO NOT REBOOT.

3. Instead, head to Device Manager (Start -> Type in Device Manager -> Enter)

4. In the Device Manager, head to Display adapters, right click on the Unknown Device that appears there/(or your Intel graphics adapter) and choose the "update driver software/install driver software option".

5. In the box that pops up, choose "Browse my computer for driver software".

6. Choose "Let me Pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"

7. In the next box, make sure "Show compatible hardware" is ticked, and then choose Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, then click Next

8. The driver will be installed, and your deskop will look even worse. That's normal.

9. Now when asked to reboot, reboot.

9a. (Optional) Use a driver cleaner like Driver Sweeper etc to clear all traces of the Intel Integrated Graphics Drivers.

10. After the reboot occurs, you can now install the newest graphics drivers from Intel.

That should do it. The reason why we forced your system to use the Generic VGA drivers in between reboots is so that your HP system will not automatically reinstall the built custom drivers again.

What do you guys use to clean your PC? I still have a bottle of compressed air, but I'm a lazy bastard, I'd have to shut it off, open it, take it outside and clean it there.

Adam Blue

What do you guys use to clean your PC? I still have a bottle of compressed air, but I'm a lazy bastard, I'd have to shut it off, open it, take it outside and clean it there.

That's pretty much what I do.

And I have a question:

I have a 32gb microsd card. I was partitioning it for use in an Android phone and Link2SD. Requires Fat32 and Ext2 (I have done this before successfully). Though, every time it was put into my phone the phone would pretty much freeze up. Using a partitioning tool, anytime I'd format and make changes it would just never work. It just went back to what it was.

So using another tool to format, it would actually tell me the card is read-only (not from the physical switch of the standard card it is inside). So, I put it into another card reader, then a USB reader - same outcome. I used CMD in Windows to remove read-only access - didn't work. I can still access the card, but can't do anything with it. I bought another card and it's fine, but would like to fix my broken one.

32gb microsd card stuck on read-only - what can I do?

Irobot82

The only thing you'll ever need to buy again.

Metro Vacuum
Made in 'Murica!!!!!

Seriously though. It's great. Just don't let the nozzle touch your GPU fan blade while it's blowing. (it'll snap it off like mine did)

Edit: Camelcamelcamel shows that you should be able to get it under $45 pretty frequently.

The only thing you'll ever need to buy again.

Metro Vacuum
Made in 'Murica!!!!!

Seriously though. It's great. Just don't let the nozzle touch your GPU fan blade while it's blowing. (it'll snap it off like mine did)

Edit: Camelcamelcamel shows that you should be able to get it under $45 pretty frequently.

Sweet thanks man. I knew I've seen it before but I didn't know what it was called.

Neo Child

Banned
Guys I think I broke my laptop.

So the other day it was in my backpack cause I was taking it to my sisters house. I cycle there and back and I think I might have bumped it a bit too much.

When I got it home and opened it up it kept flashing repeatedly to a black screen with many multicoloured horizontal lines down the screen. I turned it off and back on and it kept doing that intermittently. It looked totally fucked.

So a couple of days later I turn it on and all seems well and fixed but it seems... slower than usual. It is noticeable especially since I record videos of me gaming for my YouTube channel.

Previously I could record various games using DOS Box and Visual Boy Advance with no stutter, but more recently I can't even go a few seconds of recording without it stuttering or dropping frames while recording.

I thought it might be the hard drive so I tried to record onto an external USB stick (8gb) and it still does the same... I uninstalled most programs and it seems to be running slightly faster but still won't go a session of recording without stuttering.

Do you think I have maybe fucked something up internally? It's a HP laptop and I know these things are kinda shit for upgrading and stuff so do I need a new comp?

So I have a failing drive and I'm trying to save the data on it, but It's been rather rough going. I did the stupid thing and tried to mass move bulk amounts of files in a desperate attempt to save them. Now I've got access to the drive in Linux (not recognized in windows) and only able to retrieve a small portion of the files located on the drive. I'm kind of at my wits end as this was my main storage hdd.

I've considered data recovery services, but would like to know if theres something more that I could do that might get those files back. I examined the drive and it had reading errors and relocation was flagged as well if that gives you any clues. Any suggestions would be most helpful.

zarnold56

So I got done playing a game and my screen turned white, then white with small green horizontal lines. Had to take my 6870HD out and use onboard video to get my computer to work. I can assume my graphics card took a crap. Is there anything else I should check out to be safe?

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
So I built a new computer a few days ago with a 3TB drive and it's only registering as 1.99TB. I've googled but all the solutions seem to be for older builds and not directed to my situation.

Windows 8.1 64bit
Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 rev. 4
3TB seagate
UEFI and legacy are enabled in bios.
Setting to UEFI only in bios will not load to windows just goes blank after post.

So I built a new computer a few days ago with a 3TB drive and it's only registering as 1.99TB. I've googled but all the solutions seem to be for older builds and not directed to my situation.

Windows 8.1 64bit
Gigabyte 990fxa ud3 rev. 4
3TB seagate
UEFI and legacy are enabled in bios.
Setting to UEFI only in bios will not load to windows just goes blank after post.

Is it detected as 1.99 TB in the UEFI (BIOS) or in Windows 8.1 itself?

How does the drive appear to you in the Windows Disk Management app?

It could just be a case of it being formatted with MBR instead of GPT which is required for HDDs bigger than 2 TB.

EDIT:- Oh wait, you're using Windows 8.1, which means the drive MUST be formatted with GPT for SecureBoot to be enabled, my bad. Unless of course you've disabled SecureBoot.

It's still worth checking out your drive in Disk Management though.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
Disk management shows it as 2TB.

Went to bios and everything is there except secure boot as gigabyte states, I have the latest bios. Turning any setting to "EUFI only" or "CSM never" gives me no bootable device and back to bios. It's probably a motherboard or user error problem.

Oh well, I'll live with 2TB. You would think that in 2014 that a 3TB drive would just install.

NotBacon

Ok so interesting problem.... My wifi connection slows to a crawl randomly.

I usually get about 25 down, but every 5-45 (really random) minutes my internet slows to about .2 down. I usually turn my wifi interface off then on again (or disconnect then reconnect) and that fixes it, until the next time it happens....

I thought it was my machine for a while, until the GF said the same was happening to her on her laptop too as well as her phone. Interestingly I've never experienced it on my phone. I've also rebooted the router many times. Thoughts?

Having a strange audio issue with my laptop

The audio is fine when I boot the laptop but after a few days of uptime it gets scratchy and stutters and pops

When I restart the audio is perfectly fine

Seems to happen with all audio whether its from a video or an MP3 =/

Any ideas what could cause that?

The audio is fine when I boot the laptop but after a few days of uptime it gets scratchy and stutters and pops

This is rather interesting. How many days roughly would you say, before it starts to spaz out?

I ask, because my laptop has a similar issue, not with the audio, but with the framerate in some games (e.g. Jade Empire) after precisely 1 week's worth of uptime.

I kept a daily journal of the damn thing, booting up the affected game(s) precisely 24 hours after a restart, and every 24 hours until the issue first occurs. In my case, it happens even after leaving the damn thing alone for 1 week. I tried different methods to narrow the cause down, but to no avail. What irks me is that only a handful of games are affected; it's not a global issue.

A reboot restores performance back to normal too.

Windows 8? I was having the same issue and then updated to 8.1, it solved it for me.

Help needed though, I updated to 8.1 on my Samsung laptop and there's no sleep mode options. I had the same problem with 8 originally but Microsoft sorted it, but it took forever so I would like to avoid that if possible. It's supposedly something to do with the BIOS?

mhayze

I'm having some weird issues with my PC. I'm thinking it could be a power supply issue, but I'm not totally sure. When I boot up my PC, most of the time it will show the BIOS splash screen and then start loading Windows. Recently, however, it sometimes will show the splash screen, then go to a black screen and then shows the splash screen again and then load into Windows. About a year before this booting issue happened I noticed a clicking sound when the machine is running.

If I want to get a new power supply, what brand and size should I get? Here is what is in my PC. I think my current PSU is an UltraX3 800w.

CPU: 2500K OC'd to 4.5GHZ
RAM: 8GB DDR3
HDD: 256GB SSD (OS), 2x - 2TB 5400rpm (Data)
DVD: Blu-ray Writer, DVD/CD Writer
GFX: 2GB GTX670

There are different schools of thought on power supplies, but I always try and get the best one I can afford. Contrary to popular belief, power supply design has progressed quite a bit in the last 3-4 years, and a modern 80+ Gold or 80+ Platinum PSU can run at 300-500W (from a 650-850W rated PSU) with such efficiency and lack of heat output, that the fan will not even turn on at those power draw. A 80+ platinum PSU will save you about $20-$40 a year over a 80+ Bronze, if you leave it on 24/7.

HardOCP, JonnyGuru and the like do a very good in-depth PSU review, which I highly recommend you check reviews for whatever PSU you decide to go with. If your budget will go to $100+, I recommend a Kingwin Lazer or Seasonic Platinum. These two companies actually make their own PSUs (or their parent companies do, at least). Corsair and EVGA and the like also sometimes sell good PSUs, but they buy their PSUs from OEMs (including Seasonic and Kingwin's parent companies) so be sure to check reviews on the exact model you pick - going from 450W to 650W in the same line could be a completely different PSU from a different company. Given your specs, a very good 650W PSU will be fine. Don't choose a cheapo 800W PSU over a good 80+ Platinum 650W PSU and think you got a 'better' PSU, this is assuredly not the case.

Some of the things you get with a good PSU over a cheap one include low ripple/noise (EM noise in the power line), minimum variation in voltages, and better protection against surges and brown outs. They also tend to be overspecced - i.e. they can actually run 24/7 at their rated wattage or over, without issue, and they last a long time. They are also more efficient, so they save you money over time. Finally, no headaches with 'why did my PC crash?' You know with these PSUs, its unlikely to be because of the PSU.
Oh yeah, and modular PSUs (pluggable power cables) cost more, but reduce case clutter.

CompC

I have this weird black flashing, related to Vsync...

A couple of months ago, this started happening. I get weird black flashing on the bottom part of the screen that comes and goes. It can be pretty bad. I've seen it in a lot of places, and it only happens when the game is fullscreen and Vsync is on. Obviously, I want fullscreen and vsync... the performance of the games are fine, but the black flashing can be really bad.

Here are a few of the games I've seen it in:

• Borderlands 2
  • FEZ
  • Portal 2
  • Mark of the Ninja
  • Mass Effect
  • Batman: Arkham Origins
  • PCSX2
  • Steam Big Picture mode

And here's a short video of this happening in Mass Effect: http://cl.ly/WldG

It's so bad in some of these games that I've had to stop playing them until I can figure out how to fix them. I've looked all over the place online, and I can't seem to find anything about this, or anyone else having the same problem.

Windows 8.1
Quad-core 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7-3720QM, 16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M, 1 GB RAM

Does anybody have any idea what's happening here?

For a short while now, I've been experiencing periodic 1-3 second freezes across all games I run. It's more frequent in certain programs than others and, for me, there's no clear rhyme or reason to it — sometimes it's really rare in more graphically intensive games like Dark souls II while in Gemini Rue, a pixel-based point-and-click adventure, it happens every other time I click on something.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40Ghz 3.80 GHz 8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Windows 8.1

My cpu temp is at about 50-60 degrees C last I checked. I'm going to look into this when I get the chance, I'm just open to suggestions to narrow my search for solutions.

Did I get a link highjacker from here? Veril-something. All links went through that website. I thought it would be something more serious but it seems to not be.
But another problem that keeps going is that my mouse and keyboard frequently disconnect and reconnect. I hear the sounds. It's very annoying about twice a day, the two don't wake and I have to sleep and unsleep the computer to get it back working. This is all Windows 8.1
Is it a specific problem?

cajunator

Banned
Ive been building a new PC. finally got it up and running and Windows 7 is installed and all SSD/HDDs are partitioned and recognized. It all works beautifully. the one problem now is when I go to shutdown Windows it freezes and hangs on the shutdown screen! What do you think is going on and how do I fix this?

Persona7

Banned
I am fixing a family members laptop, does anyone know why the windows 8 restore is on the 8th hour and it is barely at 52%?

I googled the issue and it seems to be common and nobody knows why it does that but it is related to the restore partition. Does anyone know how I can make it to where it won't take so long in the future?

hodgy100

So I bought a laptop 11 months ago and its been working perfectly up till now.

I used my laptop as normal yesterday. but today when I came to use it its turns on (power lights and lit keyboard comes on), stays silent for ~10 secconds then the fans kick in and seem to run on a higher setting for ~30 secconds the laptop then promptly turns itself off. I cant access the bios menu and it also doesn't seem to want to turn on at all without the power cable in. has anyone got any ideas? I'm pretty bummed out as I was moving closer to work for a couple of months soon and i would be away from my desktop, making the laptop pretty much indispensable for me for that time.

its a Clevo w230st and im pretty much stuck with what to do :/

Video

Yusaku

Any idea how to troubleshoot an h100i watercooler that doesn't appear to be as effective as before?

I have a 2500k. I had it OC'd to 4.8GHz about a year and a half ago. I don't remember the max temp but it never got higher than the low 70s C. I noticed my fans running louder today and under load it's now hitting 90 C. I've undone the OC and even then I'm hitting 80 C just watching a video on the web.

Is there anything that I can check to help me determine if this is the CPU or the cooler? The fan coming off the radiator is quite cool. Shouldn't the air coming off of the radiator be warm?

Any thoughts would be helpful!

Nemesis_

Has anyone come across this issue before? I get it when I boot my laptop (it's running Windows 8.1) and while it doesn't seem to have any problems or anything, I've noticed it makes my "Documents" folder not load.

cappph8y40.png

Sometimes, the problem just disappears. But other times, it returns.

I've only found on solution on the internet, which is this: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUQNVhwVBpY

But when I go to change those associated registry entries in the registry, they are already at the values that they are meant to be, and yet I am still getting the error.

Praying one of the masterminds on here can help me out, just a little bit :(

Ashhong

I have a question. I work at a retail store where we do PC repairs, and a lot of the times the customers computers cannot connect to our wifi or even with ethernet connections. The typical error message is that there is limited connectivity and something about being unable to assign an IP address. Is this a router issue? We aren't allowed to mess with the router and stuff because it would shut down the whole store, which sucks. It's pretty embarrassing when I try to take a look at a customers computer and I cant even get it to our internet.

I have a question. I work at a retail store where we do PC repairs, and a lot of the times the customers computers cannot connect to our wifi or even with ethernet connections. The typical error message is that there is limited connectivity and something about being unable to assign an IP address. Is this a router issue? We aren't allowed to mess with the router and stuff because it would shut down the whole store, which sucks. It's pretty embarrassing when I try to take a look at a customers computer and I cant even get it to our internet.

Unfortunately, without administrative router access your diagnostic possibilities are rather limited.

That aside, your router could be implementing some form of whitelist MAC filtering to prevent anonymous machines from connecting to the network and being assigned IPs.

malfcn

So I somehow had that shitty "your media player is outdated" tab open on Firefox. I just ran MSE on it so I am surprised that happened. Ran Malwarebytes on it and it found 2 things, hopefully that is it.

But I decided to uninstall Java. Everyone always says remove it or disable it, so I decided to do that. That leaves me with 2 questions:

Java (32-bit) is int he control panel, but when I click it the program is not found. Error.
In Firefox, in the add-ons, it is listed there.

But I have removed it from my computer. Why is it still shown in these 2 places?

Ark

I posted this in the official PC GAF thread but I forgot this thread existed, figured I'd cross post it anyway:

I'm having problems with my 270x. It's about 3 months old at this point and when it was new it could run BF4 on mostly high settings at 1080p perfect 60fps, at the moment I've got BF4 set to medium and it's not holding 60fps. It keeps dipping into the 50s, I'm really worried something is wrong :l I'm not sure if I'm getting worse performance over any other games, BF4 is the most intensive game I tend to play on a frequent basis, I was playing BL2 fully maxed at 1080p/60 with no problems at all earlier.

I'm playing the new DLC if it makes any difference.

Rufus

Is it running worse in the DLC maps exclusively? Did they change other things on the back end? Knock on Google's door for this sort of thing.

Other possibilities: Dust buildup (case and GPU fans) and/or summer temperatures hampering the cooling, which makes it hit thermal limits earlier, which makes it downclock, thus leading to lower performance.

scogoth

I posted this in the official PC GAF thread but I forgot this thread existed, figured I'd cross post it anyway:

I'm having problems with my 270x. It's about 3 months old at this point and when it was new it could run BF4 on mostly high settings at 1080p perfect 60fps, at the moment I've got BF4 set to medium and it's not holding 60fps. It keeps dipping into the 50s, I'm really worried something is wrong :l I'm not sure if I'm getting worse performance over any other games, BF4 is the most intensive game I tend to play on a frequent basis, I was playing BL2 fully maxed at 1080p/60 with no problems at all earlier.

I'm playing the new DLC if it makes any difference.

Dragons teeth maps get very bad fps

Ark

Is it running worse in the DLC maps exclusively? Did they change other things on the back end? Knock on Google's door for this sort of thing.

Other possibilities: Dust buildup (case and GPU fans) and/or summer temperatures hampering the cooling, which makes it hit thermal limits earlier, which makes it downclock, thus leading to lower performance.

Rather stupidly I haven't tried the rest of the maps, I've only played Dragon's Teeth recently. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Dust shouldn't be a problem, I keep it all nice and clean.

Dragons teeth maps get very bad fps

I suspected this but assumed the worst. I guess I'll steer clear of them for a while then.

Thanks to you both by the way.

BrunoM

Hey not sure if one of you my friends can help me out or direct me to a video or site ..

So in short got a new place have a new 60 inch tv wall mounted and looking to use the lightpack saw some videos love the idea ..

Went on to read about it sucks it has to use a PC/Mac to work .. Then found out I can use one of my android boxes that happen to have xbmc on it

One being the OUYA so does ANY one here use it with and android box and of so care to share how hard is it ?
Or knows of a video with the how to on how to set it up using an android box and away with the need for a PC/Mac ?

If yes thank you in advance if no well it was worth the shot lol

Shiv47

Okay folks, any help here would be appreciated. I have a daughter who wants a Minecraft server for her and her friends to mess around on. Fine. My son installed the server program on her laptop, and we tried getting it up running, but it gives me the Java connection time out error line. Testing the port shows that it is closed. I have added everything in the router menu (I have a Netgear R7000) that I can find to add after a google search. The internal IP is set to her computer's IP (not sure what else I would set it to). The server program itself seems to run fine, it's just that nothing will connect. Minecraft and the server program are allowed through the firewall, as best I can tell. What do I do now?

Anybody have any recommendations for a good SSD diag tool they have experience with? Preferably one that can be bootable, but I'll settle for anything at this point. Intel has one, but if I'm looking at it right it only works on Intel SSDs.

I've been putting it off but I think it's time for me to get a new fan for my laptop. It's a Dell Studio 15 (1537) and I have no idea where to buy a reliable replacement part. I already looked on Dell's website and they don't sell the part anymore.

Does this look legit? http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dell-St...?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item58b27b4721

Looks proper, but I assume you've got the appropriate tools (and thermal paste) for this operation? It's rather delicate, and very easy to fudge up if you don't know what you're doing, unlike replacing RAM modules for example.

Just note that I know nothing about PC gaming so sorry if any of this sounds silly.

I just bought a new laptop (Asus N550JK w/ i7 4700HQ, GTX850M, 8GB ) for college and was wondering if I needed to change some settings or something after playing Super Meat Boy on it. FPS was an unstable 45 sometimes dropping as low as 30 during actual gameplay. Does that seem right for the specs I have? It's not a big deal if it is, but I'm kinda surprised such a simple looking game wasn't a stable 60FPS even though it's not a super powerful machine.

Just note that I know nothing about PC gaming so sorry if any of this sounds silly.

I just bought a new laptop (Asus N550JK w/ i7 4700HQ, GTX850M, 8GB ) for college and was wondering if I needed to change some settings or something after playing Super Meat Boy on it. FPS was an unstable 45 sometimes dropping as low as 30 during actual gameplay. Does that seem right for the specs I have? It's not a big deal if it is, but I'm kinda surprised such a simple looking game wasn't a stable 60FPS even though it's not a super powerful machine.

Looking at the specs of that laptop I'm seeing two graphics cards - a proper one for videogames and a shitty one for other stuff. Very possible that Super Meat Boy defaulted to using the shitty one. There should be some sort of application/control panel-like thing for switching that over.

That's how it works with my laptop, at least.

Looking at the specs of that laptop I'm seeing two graphics cards - a proper one for videogames and a shitty one for other stuff. Very possible that Super Meat Boy defaulted to using the shitty one. There should be some sort of application/control panel-like thing for switching that over.

That's how it works with my laptop, at least.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I have no clue where those settings would be. And just to be clear, I should be able to run a game like Super Meat Boy at 60 FPS right?

Yeah that's what I was thinking, but I have no clue where those settings would be. And just to be clear, I should be able to run a game like Super Meat Boy at 60 FPS right?

For an NVIDIA card like yours using the Optimus system, it should be located the NVDIA Control Panel, under "Manage 3D Settings". There you can force the program to use the dedicated card instead of the crappy Intel one.

And yes, your beast of a laptop should handle Super Meat Boy at maximum speed.

For an NVIDIA card like yours using the Optimus system, it should be located the NVDIA Control Panel, under "Manage 3D Settings". There you can force the program to use the dedicated card instead of the crappy Intel one.

And yes, your beast of a laptop should handle Super Meat Boy at maximum speed.

Alright thanks. Two more questions. When it tells me to select a program can I just choose "steam.exe"? And then are there certain settings I should choose for the AF, AA, etc or do I just keep those set at "global setting"?

EDIT: Alright three questions. My machine should be able to handle Twitch streaming as well right?

Alright thanks. Two more questions. When it tells me to select a program can I just choose "steam.exe"? And then are there certain settings I should choose for the AF, AA, etc or do I just keep those set at "global setting"?

EDIT: Alright three questions. My machine should be able to handle Twitch streaming as well right?

1. Choose the exectable of the game you want to force the dedicated card with. Choosing "steam.exe" will not produce that desired result. E.g. If the executable of Super Meat Boy is SMB.exe, choose "SMB.exe" from the steamapps/common folder or where the game was installed to.

2. Keep those set at "global setting" unless you have a spefic preference for Vsync etc.

3. Yes, you should be able to handle Twitch streaming on that laptop. All modern quad core Intel i5/i7 CPUs (desktop and laptop) should be more than capable of at least 720p streaming. That i7 4700HQ happens to be one of best mobile quad core CPUs ever made, easily rivalling the desktop i5-3570K with most tasks.

1. Choose the exectable of the game you want to force the dedicated card with. Choosing "steam.exe" will not produce that desired result. E.g. If the executable of Super Meat Boy is SMB.exe, choose "SMB.exe" from the steamapps/common folder or where the game was installed to.

2. Keep those set at "global setting" unless you have a spefic preference for Vsync etc.

3. Yes, you should be able to handle Twitch streaming on that laptop. All modern quad core Intel i5/i7 CPUs (desktop and laptop) should be more than capable of at least 720p streaming. That i7 4700HQ happens to be one of best mobile quad core CPUs ever made, easily rivalling the desktop i5-3570K with most tasks.

Thank you! I appreciate the help.

Haint

Anyone know of a way in Windows 7 or 8 to highlight multiple folders and have some right click dialog that will move all their contents to the directory/folder they're in? More specifically, say I've got a Game Saves folder and in that folder are like 100 folders of specific tiles(e.g. Witcher, Borderlands, etc...) that contain the actual saves. I want to just highlight all those 100's of folders and dump the actual saves to the Game Saves folder without having to go through the title specific folders one by one copy pasting them out.

If anyone stumbles upon this question, I found a simple solution on various help forums. Pull up the parent folder that holds all the sub-folders whose contents you want to dump and search for either * or a particular file extension (e.g. mp3, sav, jpg). It will return a long list of the contents that you can then highlight or CTRL A Select All and cut/copy pasta what you want. Make sure search sub folders is toggled on in Windows search settings.

Top Bottom