• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Ark

Isn't the 970 known to have performance issues when using more than 3.5gb of Vram?

At 1080p I should be fine. Especially with WoW, I haven't even touched BF4 today. And surely, the 970 shouldn't be throttling itself even after restarts? Like I said, the only way I've found to fix it is to reinstall the drivers.

_Isaac

Hi!

I've been having a really annoying issue with my Windows 10 computer lately, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some ideas. Every hour or so my computer just stops responding, and I have to forcefully shut it down by holding down the power button. It happens whether I'm watching a movie, talking on Skype, or just browsing the internet. Nothing all that intensive. Usually, I'll be using the computer and then the program I'm using (like Skype) stops responding. It actually gets that little circle mouse icon and it gets a little white-ish and says not responding. At that point, I know it's going to hell. I click on the Firefox browser I had open and that stops responding. Soon nothing responds. I can't right click on anything, ctrl+alt+del does nothing, and the start button doesn't work. Nothing just nothing. Sometimes the screen turns white, sometimes I get a little message box that says windows explorer isn't responding. I have to turn it off and then turn it back on. Once it's on, it behaves normally until an hour or so later when it does the same thing. This was back when it was on Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 and did a system reset, and it still happens.

These are my specs:
Code:
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150810-2333)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
             System Model: System Product Name
                     BIOS: Default System BIOS
                Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8148MB RAM
                Page File: 2466MB used, 7600MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found
         User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
       System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
          DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
                 Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
           DxDiag Version: 10.00.10240.16384 64bit Unicode

These are the readings I got from HWMonitor when the computer was behaving:
EnmQxkS.png
TTP4F4w.png

I have no idea if anything is out of the ordinary. 20 minutes after that it froze while I happened to have the HWMonitor window up and caught the readings during its freakout. I actually had to take offscreen photos with my phone, since the screenshots didn't work on the PC at the moment. :p

I looked through if anything looked different. For the most part, it all looked the same except for a reading for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 670. While the computer was behaving, the 670's clocks for Graphics and Memory read 915 MHz and 3005 MHz respectively. During its death freakout it was reading as 324 MHz for both. I'm not sure if that even means anything significant though because when I look at the clocks for it right now they read 324 MHz for both, and it's not dying at the moment. :p

I opened up the pc to see if there was an iguana in there causing all the issues. I did notice the GTX 670 card looked a little slanted. It's only screwed in to the case on the left side, and it seems the right side is slanting down a bit because of the weight. There are no screws on the right to keep it in place. It seems to just be holding onto the motherboard as best it can.

I looked up if other people had that issue with the card. I did find some people that had the card slant like that, but I didn't find anybody that had issues on their computer because of that. That's where my investigation stopped as I've kinda run out of ideas.

What do you guys think? I hope it's not an overload of information. :eek:

EDIT: Ha! My computer froze up again like 5 minutes after this post.

bomblord1

Banned
Hi!

I've been having a really annoying issue with my Windows 10 computer lately, and I'm hoping you guys can help me out with some ideas. Every hour or so my computer just stops responding, and I have to forcefully shut it down by holding down the power button. It happens whether I'm watching a movie, talking on Skype, or just browsing the internet. Nothing all that intensive. Usually, I'll be using the computer and then the program I'm using (like Skype) stops responding. It actually gets that little circle mouse icon and it gets a little white-ish and says not responding. At that point, I know it's going to hell. I click on the Firefox browser I had open and that stops responding. Soon nothing responds. I can't right click on anything, ctrl+alt+del does nothing, and the start button doesn't work. Nothing just nothing. Sometimes the screen turns white, sometimes I get a little message box that says windows explorer isn't responding. I have to turn it off and then turn it back on. Once it's on, it behaves normally until an hour or so later when it does the same thing. This was back when it was on Windows 8.1. I upgraded it to Windows 10 and did a system reset, and it still happens.

These are my specs:
Code:
         Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 10240) (10240.th1.150810-2333)

I have no idea if anything is out of the ordinary. 20 minutes after that it froze while I happened to have the HWMonitor window up and caught the readings during its freakout. I actually had to take offscreen photos with my phone, since the screenshots didn't work on the PC at the moment. :p

I looked through if anything looked different. For the most part, it all looked the same except for a reading for the Nvidia Geforce GTX 670. While the computer was behaving, the 670's clocks for Graphics and Memory read 915 MHz and 3005 MHz respectively. During its death freakout it was reading as 324 MHz for both. I'm not sure if that even means anything significant though because when I look at the clocks for it right now they read 324 MHz for both, and it's not dying at the moment. :p

I opened up the pc to see if there was an iguana in there causing all the issues. I did notice the GTX 670 card looked a little slanted. It's only screwed in to the case on the left side, and it seems the right side is slanting down a bit because of the weight. There are no screws on the right to keep it in place. It seems to just be holding onto the motherboard as best it can.

I looked up if other people had that issue with the card. I did find some people that had the card slant like that, but I didn't find anybody that had issues on their computer because of that. That's where my investigation stopped as I've kinda run out of ideas.

At a glance the CPU/GPU doesn't seem to be at fault, temps and clocks are fine, although it could be a driver issue. IMHO the most likely culprits are either software or your HDD. I know you said you did a "system reset" but you might consider backing up your files and doing a completely clean install of Windows 10. Back up your stuff first, make sure you still have the windows activation key and disc/installation media for win 8.1, install windows 8.1 as a clean install, and then upgrade to 10. If you are not comfortable with that other options are (if you are NOT on a SSD) defragging your hard drive (just type defrag and run a scan) followed by checking windows for system errors (Right click on your C drive > Properties > Tools > Error Checking).

It also could be your HDD if your computer has a hardware self test in the bios you should try running it for the HDD.

oneran

Picked up a GTX 970 over the weekend, but I've got nothing but problems.

My current PSU is an AX750.
My previous card was a 6950.

Doesn't matter what I'm doing, middle of a game, browsing, or just letting it idle, PC will suddenly restart. Did not have these problems with the AMD card. If it was a PSU problem, I wouldn't had these problems with the 6950, as that draws more power, correct?

And I know it isn't a heat issue; while gaming the card is in the low 60s. Same with my chip.

Thoughts?

You may want to try re-downloading and doing a clean reinstall of your video card drivers if you haven't already.

Pick your card and OS from http://www.geforce.com/drivers download and run the installer. Choose advanced installation and tick off the perform clean installation check box.

If your no longer need your ATI card drivers I would recommend uninstalling them as well.

You can also check event viewer for further clues on what exactly is making the Pc Restart.
(Search > type event viewer > Click on Event Viewer (Local) in the left plane, Look for any Critical or Error Events)

Hi!

These are my specs:
Code:

bomblord1 gave you some good troubleshooting steps; You may want run the System File Checker before you resort to a clean install.

Open an administrative command prompt
(Search > type cmd > Right click command prompt > Run as administrator)

Type SFC /Scannow and let it run if it makes repairs run it again. If it finds problems it can't fix, post back and we'll see if anything can be done.

You can also check event viewer it may give you insight on what is exactly crashing explorer.
(Search > type event viewer > Click on Event Viewer (Local) in the left plane, Look for any Critical or Error Events)

bomblord1

Banned
anyone know why this folder is taking up so much space?
rUYZ1u7.png

found it, it was the Inetcache folder

I'm fairly certain those are your system restore files. I'de have to double check the location to be sure.

You can check yourself by going to the start menu searching for "Create a Restore Point" going to "Configure" and checking what the "Current" and "Max" usage is.

EDIT: Nvm, that's not your restore files just checked the location its in the root of the C: drive.

i figured out the problem, it was caused by me copying files from old pc to the new pc through the plex media server

it was causing junk data being placed in the inetcache folder

_Isaac

At a glance the CPU/GPU doesn't seem to be at fault, temps and clocks are fine, although it could be a driver issue. IMHO the most likely culprits are either software or your HDD. I know you said you did a "system reset" but you might consider backing up your files and doing a completely clean install of Windows 10. Back up your stuff first, make sure you still have the windows activation key and disc/installation media for win 8.1, install windows 8.1 as a clean install, and then upgrade to 10. If you are not comfortable with that other options are (if you are NOT on a SSD) defragging your hard drive (just type defrag and run a scan) followed by checking windows for system errors (Right click on your C drive > Properties > Tools > Error Checking).

It also could be your HDD if your computer has a hardware self test in the bios you should try running it for the HDD.

I do have windows on an SSD. I didn't defrag, but I did look at Error Checking, and it didn't find anything. I'll have to check for the bios self test in a bit. I'll also have to see if I have the appropriate 8.1 stuff to go back. When I went to 10 and did the "system reset" it told me I can never go back to 8.1 :p

bomblord1 gave you some good troubleshooting steps; You may want run the System File Checker before you resort to a clean install.

Open an administrative command prompt
(Search > type cmd > Right click command prompt > Run as administrator)

Type SFC /Scannow and let it run if it makes repairs run it again. If it finds problems it can't fix, post back and we'll see if anything can be done.

You can also check event viewer it may give you insight on what is exactly crashing explorer.

I ran that command and it said " Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log. NOte that logging is not supported in offline servicing scenarios"

I looked at the log, and it was 62 thousand lines long. I found a chunk that seemed to correspond with the scan, and it was mostly complaining about some pngs. That chunk from the log is pasted here:
http://pastebin.com/ZDtGaWMJ

As for the event viewer, I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, but I took a look at that too. My pc froze a little under an hour ago, and it does show a critical event that occurred within the last hour, but it just says: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and details are sparse. Here's the xml details.

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>3</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000200000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-22T05:52:24.378623000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1633</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Also earlier, my boyfriend and I took out the video card, and ran the pc without it, just to see if it would freeze up. After about an hour, it froze up, so I guess the video card is not to blame here. :/

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

White_sox

just a general question techgaf.... is it easy to learn how to build your own pc. Or buy a pc and be able to change GPU and CPU for upgrades. I know the question is kind of vague and depends on the person. Just curious.
There are great tutorials online that make it very simple. It's like a 7 step process and all of them are pretty simple. The only (relatively) difficult part is wiring - and that's mostly because it can be tedious the first time. It isn't hard to figure out though.

Recently downloaded razor synapse 2.0 and I get this error where my screen just constantly repeats ===========================

If I unplug the Naga mouse is stops. It usually happens again every half hour or so. Just ===========. Any thoughts?

oneran

I do have windows on an SSD. I didn't defrag, but I did look at Error Checking, and it didn't find anything. I'll have to check for the bios self test in a bit. I'll also have to see if I have the appropriate 8.1 stuff to go back. When I went to 10 and did the "system reset" it told me I can never go back to 8.1 :p

I ran that command and it said " Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log. NOte that logging is not supported in offline servicing scenarios"

I looked at the log, and it was 62 thousand lines long. I found a chunk that seemed to correspond with the scan, and it was mostly complaining about some pngs. That chunk from the log is pasted here:
http://pastebin.com/ZDtGaWMJ

As for the event viewer, I forgot to mention it in my earlier post, but I took a look at that too. My pc froze a little under an hour ago, and it does show a critical event that occurred within the last hour, but it just says: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." and details are sparse. Here's the xml details.

Code:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" /> 
  <EventID>41</EventID> 
  <Version>3</Version> 
  <Level>1</Level> 
  <Task>63</Task> 
  <Opcode>0</Opcode> 
  <Keywords>0x8000200000000002</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-08-22T05:52:24.378623000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>1633</EventRecordID> 
  <Correlation /> 
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" /> 
  <Channel>System</Channel> 
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data> 
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data> 
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

Also earlier, my boyfriend and I took out the video card, and ran the pc without it, just to see if it would freeze up. After about an hour, it froze up, so I guess the video card is not to blame here. :/

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

All the event viewer is telling you that the computer lost power. (because you had to manually reset the pc)

Also I was re-reading your original post and am a bit unclear, were you having similar problems before you upgraded to Windows 10?

If you were, try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Program (Or any other Memory checker you feel comfortable with)
(Search > type Windows memory > click Windows Memory Diagnostic > Restart now and check for problems)

If it competes and finds a problem chances are it's your memory that's the culprit.

Anyway, the SFC doesn't seem like it found anything major but you may want to try checking system image:
Try opening an an administrative command prompt and type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

Once it completes type:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

If it tells you the component store is repairable run:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If it can fix the image re-run the SFC and see if it can fix the outstanding issues

If the image is not repairable your probably best off backing up your data/programs and doing a fresh install of windows 10. You can downloading and create install media using the media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Zapages

My Windows 7 that is about 3 years old is starting to randomly shut down, which is strange...

Specs:
Intel Core i5 2320 3.0 Ghz
Windows 7 Home Premium
Service Pack 1
12 GB of RAM
1.5 TB hard drive
Nvideo Geforce 560Ti

Exalted

I wan to upgrade my laptop since it has onyl 4gb of ram, but i'm having a hard time since i don't know if it uses DDR3 or DDR3L. When i tried searching for it online (LenovoG710) i got mixed results.
Anyway i could find out what ram i alredy use so i can match it?
When i tried CPU Z i only get that it is DDR3 1600, but it doesn't show voltage anywhere so i'm not shure.

I bought a 2TB Western Digital MyCloud hard drive and I want to copy everything from an old iOmega Prestige 500GB USB 2.0 external hard drive to the Network/WDMYCLOUD/User folder I set up. The problem? It's glacial slow, under 3MB/s. That seems slow even for USB 2.0 speeds (hoping for the best, it's connected to a 3.0 slot). Is there any way to speed anything up? It's going to take over a day to back 450GB of content up at these speeds.

You might find helpful information here on my external hard drive - all I know is it's really old and slow and I bought a replacement in the knick of time.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Iomega-...e-FREE-SHIP-/161776583583?hash=item25aaa2c39f

I wan to upgrade my laptop since it has onyl 4gb of ram, but i'm having a hard time since i don't know if it uses DDR3 or DDR3L. When i tried searching for it online (LenovoG710) i got mixed results.
Anyway i could find out what ram i alredy use so i can match it?
When i tried CPU Z i only get that it is DDR3 1600, but it doesn't show voltage anywhere so i'm not shure.

You should be able to find the RAM stick's voltage under the SPD tab of CPU-Z

1.50 V = Normal voltage DDR3

1.35 V = DDR3L (Low voltage DDR3)

I bought a 2TB Western Digital MyCloud hard drive and I want to copy everything from an old iOmega Prestige 500GB USB 2.0 external hard drive to the Network/WDMYCLOUD/User folder I set up. The problem? It's glacial slow, under 3MB/s. That seems slow even for USB 2.0 speeds (hoping for the best, it's connected to a 3.0 slot). Is there any way to speed anything up? It's going to take over a day to back 450GB of content up at these speeds.

You might find helpful information here on my external hard drive - all I know is it's really old and slow and I bought a replacement in the knick of time.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Iomega-...e-FREE-SHIP-/161776583583?hash=item25aaa2c39f

try copying to your pc first and see what the speeds are

Mistake

I'm on 8.1 and there is one bug that gets pretty annoying when I type and try to make corrections. The keyboard repeat rate becomes very slow. Typing is normal, but when I move the cursing thing back and forth with the arrows, it goes one letter at a time and isn't fast at all. Going to my keyboard settings makes it back to normal for a bit, but eventually happens again.
An update on this, if anyone is curious. I finally found a post here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/how-can-i-keep-my-keyboard-repeat-rate/583378cb-0300-4b49-a6e1-f9ed97996345?page=1&auth=1

Same problem and everything. Is there any kind of script that I can make automatically run when the computer comes out of sleep, instead of going to keyboard settings every time? If I open settings again and hit ok then it works again, but that is pretty dumb that I have to do that every time the computer sleeps. Also, I tried the solution and it broke my keyboard, so I had to change it back.

im gonna guess that the old external drive its on its last legs, i suggust trying to copy the data asap

should focus on getting the most important files first
Actually the reason for the shitty speeds is that I don't have a gigabit ethernet network, as explained by this support page. I don't know how knowledgeable you are about networks- I know almost jack- but this is what I've figured out. Here's a rough map of my network from my router to my desktop PC:

MyCloud Drive -> Cat 5e cable -> 2WIRE 3801HGV 10/100 router <-500 Mb/s powerline adapter <- Cat 5 cable <- Gigabit ethernet adapter in my desktop (via a Biostar TH67 motherboard)

This is assuming the files are on my desktop's main drive, but the speeds are just as bad if they're copied from a USB 2.0 external drive connected to a wireless-only laptop. Beats me which of the non-gigabit devices is the biggest culprit. CNet says the Cat 5 cable isn't a big deal, there's not much I can do about the powerline without buying a faster model or connecting my desktop to my router with a 100 foot Cat 6 cable, so that probably leaves my shitty AT&T Uverse router as the most likely handicap. I don't know what the connection between network transfer speeds and internet speeds are, but unless AT&T are literally the devil himself, they should sympathize with someone who wants gigabit speeds on a local, personal use network. I'm going to bed; I don't know whether to call AT&T for help or suck up that I wasted almost $100 on something that's useless for a DSL connection.

ah, didnt see how you set it up, speaking of the powerline adaptor, i would make it so they are the only things plugged into the outlets, and try again

i have roughly the same set up with my old pc and new pc, and i was to able to transfer files from my old pc to my new pc at 10MB/s

Obviously allowing GAF to show Ads with no problems, what is better, Adblock or U Block Origin?

I see a lot of posts on the net regarding uyblocks access to data but I'm not sure which one to use.

Hey guys. All of my gadgets seem to be rebelling against me today. I can handle my phone, ps4, tv, chromecast and watch but something strange happened with my computer and I'd really like a second opinion before I continue. Please note, I do this stuff for a living so hopefully I'm not overthinking this or didnt overlook something, but I know my way around a command line (And Google search).

Asus ROG g751 860M

I think I have either some temp problems or my new SSD is defective.

A bit of background, this computer is less than a year old, and I purchased a Transcend SSD370Sa few weeks ago, cloned my Windows install to it, and everything seemed fine. Never had any temp issues I can recall. I did upgrade to Win 10 after migrating things over.

I was streaming some video in a tab to my Chromecast, playing Skyrim, and downloading some podcasts. Everything seemed fine. While in Skyrim, everything just froze for a while. I heard the 'buzz' and decided to hard power-off my machine. When I powered it back on, I got the error that it couldn't load winload.efi.

I went into recovery and setup could repair startup or refresh windows, I panicked a little and took a look at my drives in command line, and all my files and Windows install seemed to be there. I did a BCD scan and it only found a windows install in windows.old, so of course I didnt do any bcdrepairs.

Feeling for warmth, nothing seemed too hot either, but for some reason boot could not find anything to boot from. I played with things for maybe 10 minutes, trying to get it to recognize a Windows install. Did a few reboots and shutdown cycles (including removing battery + discharge capacitors), nothing. I shut everything down for 5 minutes and do some internet research (full panick mode), decide to power it back on, and everything comes up normally. No error, nothing.

So I'm thinking something is definitely wrong with the SSD. First thing I do is run a sfc scannow (nothing found) and checked my temps in cpuid (SSD hovering about 30 C, everything else in the upper 40s.).

Does anyone have any idea what happened and how I can prevent things in the future? I'm honestly a bit baffled. Only thing I can think of is either the SSD overheated (meaning I need to get in there and do some cleaning, I havent opened this laptop before) or this SSD is defective and needs a replacement.

oneran

Hey guys. All of my gadgets seem to be rebelling against me today. I can handle my phone, ps4, tv, chromecast and watch but something strange happened with my computer and I'd really like a second opinion before I continue. Please note, I do this stuff for a living so hopefully I'm not overthinking this or didnt overlook something, but I know my way around a command line (And Google search).

Asus ROG g751 860M

I think I have either some temp problems or my new SSD is defective.

A bit of background, this computer is less than a year old, and I purchased a Transcend SSD370Sa few weeks ago, cloned my Windows install to it, and everything seemed fine. Never had any temp issues I can recall. I did upgrade to Win 10 after migrating things over.

I was streaming some video in a tab to my Chromecast, playing Skyrim, and downloading some podcasts. Everything seemed fine. While in Skyrim, everything just froze for a while. I heard the 'buzz' and decided to hard power-off my machine. When I powered it back on, I got the error that it couldn't load winload.efi.

I went into recovery and setup could repair startup or refresh windows, I panicked a little and took a look at my drives in command line, and all my files and Windows install seemed to be there. I did a BCD scan and it only found a windows install in windows.old, so of course I didnt do any bcdrepairs.

Feeling for warmth, nothing seemed too hot either, but for some reason boot could not find anything to boot from. I played with things for maybe 10 minutes, trying to get it to recognize a Windows install. Did a few reboots and shutdown cycles (including removing battery + discharge capacitors), nothing. I shut everything down for 5 minutes and do some internet research (full panick mode), decide to power it back on, and everything comes up normally. No error, nothing.

So I'm thinking something is definitely wrong with the SSD. First thing I do is run a sfc scannow (nothing found) and checked my temps in cpuid (SSD hovering about 30 C, everything else in the upper 40s.).

Does anyone have any idea what happened and how I can prevent things in the future? I'm honestly a bit baffled. Only thing I can think of is either the SSD overheated (meaning I need to get in there and do some cleaning, I havent opened this laptop before) or this SSD is defective and needs a replacement.

If all your files were there and you could read/write to the drive; I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bootrec probably just couldn't find the os for some weird reason (you can view your Boot Configuration Data with bcdedit /enum all maybe there's still a windows 8 entry).

I believe Transcend does have its own program suite called ssd scope that you can download from their website. It can perform a smart test and other diagnostics on the drive. I'd probably start with that (if it still exists) and just make sure all important data is backed up just in case.

(Also are you sure you were in the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options and not your previous version of Windows recovery Partition?)

If all your files were there and you could read/write to the drive; I wouldn't worry too much about it. Bootrec probably just couldn't find the os for some weird reason (you can view your Boot Configuration Data with bcdedit /enum all maybe there's still a windows 8 entry).

I believe Transcend does have its own program suite called ssd scope that you can download from their website. It can perform a smart test and other diagnostics on the drive. I'd probably start with that (if it still exists) and just make sure all important data is backed up just in case.

(Also are you sure you were in the Windows 10 Advanced Startup Options and not your previous version of Windows recovery Partition?)

It was especially scary, and something must've caused the crash. I did check for duplicate entries in the bcd store and found one for an older install on a different volume. I didn't remove it, as it wasn't finding any good windows installs at all and wagered a store with an old entry is better than one with none at all.

And actually I did have to use the recovery from the old HDD, as it wasn't finding the recovery from the main HDD. It was likely still on 8.1. I have a recovery partition on both drives.

I'll try the Transcend program. had started to go ahead and just give them a warranty call anyway!

Nopren

I've just a new SSD to breathe new life into my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 11 netbook.
I'm going to do a completely fresh install of Win7, and I was thinking of doing this by connecting the ssd to my stationary pc and then install Win7 on it with the cd-rom. After that I would connect it to my netbook.

Is that possible, and if it is, is there anything I should be prepared for?

_Isaac

All the event viewer is telling you that the computer lost power. (because you had to manually reset the pc)

Also I was re-reading your original post and am a bit unclear, were you having similar problems before you upgraded to Windows 10?

If you were, try running the Windows Memory Diagnostic Program (Or any other Memory checker you feel comfortable with)
(Search > type Windows memory > click Windows Memory Diagnostic > Restart now and check for problems)

If it competes and finds a problem chances are it's your memory that's the culprit.

Anyway, the SFC doesn't seem like it found anything major but you may want to try checking system image:

Once it completes type:

If it can fix the image re-run the SFC and see if it can fix the outstanding issues

If the image is not repairable your probably best off backing up your data/programs and doing a fresh install of windows 10. You can downloading and create install media using the media creation tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

It says it's repairable, but then it errors out.
Q66CcuM.png

It's looking like I might just have to try the Windows 10 fresh install again. Also yes these problems started before I moved to Windows 10.

It happened again. I restarted, dicked around my BIOS trying to figure out where ASUS buried the option to disable Hyperthreading, and 10 minutes later I decided to restart back into Windows. Then bootloader could not find winload.efi on my main HDD.

I'm starting to think its a problem with the recovery partition on my C drive and when I get that error, it's trying to boot into recovery or do a startup system scan.

Should I go back to macrium and try to clone the recovery partitions to my ssd again? Or is there a way to get windows to rebuild my recovery partition?

oneran

I've just a new SSD to breathe new life into my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge 11 netbook.
I'm going to do a completely fresh install of Win7, and I was thinking of doing this by connecting the ssd to my stationary pc and then install Win7 on it with the cd-rom. After that I would connect it to my netbook.

Is that possible, and if it is, is there anything I should be prepared for?

You would need to download and install the Windows AIK and then run a sysprep before moving the drive to the laptop.

Also if your going to do this you may want to ensure your main hard drive on your stationary pc is not connected when you install the OS or you will most likely have to rebuild the boot configuration.

It happened again. I restarted, dicked around my BIOS trying to figure out where ASUS buried the option to disable Hyperthreading, and 10 minutes later I decided to restart back into Windows. Then bootloader could not find winload.efi on my main HDD.

I'm starting to think its a problem with the recovery partition on my C drive and when I get that error, it's trying to boot into recovery or do a startup system scan.

Should I go back to macrium and try to clone the recovery partitions to my ssd again? Or is there a way to get windows to rebuild my recovery partition?

Have you tried running a CHKDSK?

ah, didnt see how you set it up, speaking of the powerline adaptor, i would make it so they are the only things plugged into the outlets, and try again

i have roughly the same set up with my old pc and new pc, and i was to able to transfer files from my old pc to my new pc at 10MB/s
Well, that's going to be difficult. In my room with the computer in the wall outlet I have a surge protector that powers my speakers (they suck so they're the most expendable), my hard drive in question, a lamp, and my monitor. I can't plug them somewhere else in the long run. The other room with the router is even more complicated. The whole outlet is covered by a 6-outlet surge protector that powers the NAS, the powerline, the router, and a lamp. Who knows what chaos changing those plugs will bring? I'm going to seek expert advice (read, some AV guys my friend knows) on networks and see where that brings me. But thanks for the advice.

Haven't tried it but looks like you can create recovery disk http://windows.microsoft.com/en-za/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive.

(I just use the Win10 installation ISO as a recovery disk)

Thanks man. I ended up re-cloning the recovery partitions and things seem fine for now. Strange there are like 5 partitions on the OG HDD yet only 4 on the SSD. Guessed the missing partition was the difference. I know i booted into the PE recovery before though, so I'm all confused but I'll just handle things as they come.

Bought this:

Crucial BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU Sport 8 GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory Module

as recommended by a Crucial system scan. Took out existing (corrupt) RAM, installed sticks in slots 2 and 4 (the two blue ones)

Mobo: ASUS P7H55-M SI

Now; when I check "properties", it says "8gb RAM detected, 3.96gb usable". If I check the Resource Monitor it shows this:

hJTQNrZ.png

Please help me :(

Edit:

bpajv0D.png

oneran

Bought this:

Crucial BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU Sport 8 GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-12800 Memory Module

as recommended by a Crucial system scan. Took out existing (corrupt) RAM, installed sticks in slots 2 and 4 (the two blue ones)

Mobo: ASUS P7H55-M SI

Now; when I check "properties", it says "8gb RAM detected, 3.96gb usable". If I check the Resource Monitor it shows this:

hJTQNrZ.png

Please help me :(

Edit:

bpajv0D.png

First off, are you absolutely sure your running an 64-bit version of Windows?

If your using integrated graphics it could take up an extra 1.7 GB, but that wouldn't explain the rest. You may want to check your BIOS settings and see if any memory is being allocated somewhere else, look for something like a memory remap feature or under graphics card settings.

_Isaac

Once it completes type:

Tried this one again, and this time it didn't error. Let's see if that helps out. Thank you again for your help!

EDIT:

Well it froze up again. I tried a clean install of windows 10 using the install media using the media creation tool. We logged in and let it stay there to see if it would freeze. One hour later, it froze. :/

Hello :) I could really use some assistance.

I recently bought a EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 to replace my EVGA GTX 780 reference card (I wanted HDMI 2.0 for my new TV).

I uninstalled the GTX 780 drivers, removed the card, and put the 970 in. I cannot get any signal through the HDMI port (and I've also tried both DVI ports with a DVI>HDMI converter).

Not even the BIOS screen displays. However, I don't think it is a dead card, as the fans briefly spin and then stop (apparently correct behavior according to what I have read), and the computer definitely boots into Windows. I have the exact same power plugs attached (the GTX 780 was 6+2 and 6, while my 970 is 6 and 6 pin).

I have switched them back and forth multiple times and the GTX 780 always boots right through. Could it still be the HDMI cable? Should I try swapping that even with it working with the 780? I'm really lost since I don't believe it to be the card.

I even flashed my BIOS (motherboard is a GA-X79-UP4) to the latest version just in case that would resolve it.

Any assistance or suggestions that you all have would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!

Can anyone help me? I'm not sure what is going on with my system. I have a 2012 Alienware X51 with an i5 processor, gtx 555, and 8GBs of ram. For the past year my system has performed poorly. Well, not up to its potential. And I'm having trouble figuring out why. I first noticed it about a year or more ago and I simply chalked it up to needing to reformat my PC because I upgraded to 8 from 7 and never did a clean install. I kept putting it off and eventually Windows 10 was in the horizon so I would just wait until then. And I did. I upgraded to 10 and then did a clean install. But I'm still getting these issues so I'm thinking that it must be hardware. The issues that I'm having are just relative slowness. Apps will sometimes take forever to load. I get "Not Responding" for brief seconds about 10-20 ten times a day and I mainly just run Firefox, MusicBee, VLC, Photoshop and a movie manager application that I have. The "Not Responding" stuff even shows up on Windows stuff like Explorer or whatever I'm using. The "Not Responding" lag/pauses happen regardless of how many apps I am running. My RAM never goes above 50% even when I am running almost everything. My CPU only shows like 10% whenever I am transferring files to an external or if I occasionally use Utorrent otherwise it's usually in the lower single digits. I have used Hardware Monitor to check my CPU and GPU temp and they all seem normal so it doesn't appear to be an overheating issue. I have run chk disk and my hard drive comes back with no issues. I've done the Windows scan and the os appears to be fine as well. So I'm really clueless as to what could be happening. My system isn't a behemoth but it's enough that it should be breezing through these tasks. I don't really notice any issues with games but then again I don't really have anything to compare it too. I also updated my bios on my system so that's up to date.

Alienware X51(2012)
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
GTX 555
i5 2320 3.0GHz

Issue:
System lagging and getting constant "Not Responding" in the title bar of applications or Windows stuff as they freeze up momentarily

What I've Done:
Chk disk / Ok
Sfc /Ok
Checked CPU and GPU temps / Ok
CPU and RAM usage / Ok
Bios / Updated

I'm ok with replacing any hardware that needs it but I don't really want to just guess and start buying needless items that won't fix the problem.

Thoughts?

oneran

Tried this one again, and this time it didn't error. Let's see if that helps out. Thank you again for your help!

EDIT:

Well it froze up again. I tried a clean install of windows 10 using the install media using the media creation tool. We logged in and let it stay there to see if it would freeze. One hour later, it froze. :/

Sorry the help, isn't helping much!

But now that we can rule out the OS you most likely have a driver or hardware issue,

If you haven't already try running Windows Memory Diagnostic Program

Do a clean install of your Nvidia drivers
(Pick your card and OS from http://www.geforce.com/drivers download and run the installer. Choose advanced installation and tick off the perform clean installation check box.)

Try starting msconfig and select a diagnostic startup from the general tab
(Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative tools > System Configuration)

Restart and see if it still crashes, Just note that diagnostic startup disables almost every thing but essential programs and windows services.

Hello :) I could really use some assistance.

I recently bought a EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 to replace my EVGA GTX 780 reference card (I wanted HDMI 2.0 for my new TV).

I uninstalled the GTX 780 drivers, removed the card, and put the 970 in. I cannot get any signal through the HDMI port (and I've also tried both DVI ports with a DVI>HDMI converter).

Not even the BIOS screen displays. However, I don't think it is a dead card, as the fans briefly spin and then stop (apparently correct behavior according to what I have read), and the computer definitely boots into Windows. I have the exact same power plugs attached (the GTX 780 was 6+2 and 6, while my 970 is 6 and 6 pin).

I have switched them back and forth multiple times and the GTX 780 always boots right through. Could it still be the HDMI cable? Should I try swapping that even with it working with the 780? I'm really lost since I don't believe it to be the card.

I even flashed my BIOS (motherboard is a GA-X79-UP4) to the latest version just in case that would resolve it.

Any assistance or suggestions that you all have would be very much appreciated. Thank you!!!

If you've re-seated card and ensured the power connections are correct the card is most likely DOA. Also I know the 970's are supposed to be "silent" but I'm pretty sure the fans should remain on for at least a few minutes or the entire boot process.

Your probably best off just exchanging it from the retailer you purchased it from if your within the exchange period, If not RMA it.

But, If you want to troubleshoot you can try the following:

If you have one try it out with a different display, preferably a monitor.

Try all other available outputs on the card if you haven't already.

Since you know your booting into Windows (i assume through sound) does windows make the device unplugged sound when your removing and inserting the HDMI?
If it doesn't then windows is most likely not seeing the card.

Try enabling the safe boot option from the boot tab of msconfig(Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative tools > System Configuration) when you have the GTX 780 connected then shutdown and connect the 970 to see if it makes a difference.
(To disable safe mode, just select normal startup from the general tab)

****IF YOUR POWER SUPPLY IS CAPABLE connect both cards and see if they show up in your BIOS/device manager. If your power supply isn't due to the amount of connectors or required wattage, don't attempt this.

Can anyone help me? I'm not sure what is going on with my system. I have a 2012 Alienware X51 with an i5 processor, gtx 555, and 8GBs of ram. For the past year my system has performed poorly. Well, not up to its potential. And I'm having trouble figuring out why. I first noticed it about a year or more ago and I simply chalked it up to needing to reformat my PC because I upgraded to 8 from 7 and never did a clean install. I kept putting it off and eventually Windows 10 was in the horizon so I would just wait until then. And I did. I upgraded to 10 and then did a clean install. But I'm still getting these issues so I'm thinking that it must be hardware. The issues that I'm having are just relative slowness. Apps will sometimes take forever to load. I get "Not Responding" for brief seconds about 10-20 ten times a day and I mainly just run Firefox, MusicBee, VLC, Photoshop and a movie manager application that I have. The "Not Responding" stuff even shows up on Windows stuff like Explorer or whatever I'm using. The "Not Responding" lag/pauses happen regardless of how many apps I am running. My RAM never goes above 50% even when I am running almost everything. My CPU only shows like 10% whenever I am transferring files to an external or if I occasionally use Utorrent otherwise it's usually in the lower single digits. I have used Hardware Monitor to check my CPU and GPU temp and they all seem normal so it doesn't appear to be an overheating issue. I have run chk disk and my hard drive comes back with no issues. I've done the Windows scan and the os appears to be fine as well. So I'm really clueless as to what could be happening. My system isn't a behemoth but it's enough that it should be breezing through these tasks. I don't really notice any issues with games but then again I don't really have anything to compare it too. I also updated my bios on my system so that's up to date.

Alienware X51(2012)
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
GTX 555
i5 2320 3.0GHz

Issue:
System lagging and getting constant "Not Responding" in the title bar of applications or Windows stuff as they freeze up momentarily

What I've Done:
Chk disk / Ok
Sfc /Ok
Checked CPU and GPU temps / Ok
CPU and RAM usage / Ok
Bios / Updated

I'm ok with replacing any hardware that needs it but I don't really want to just guess and start buying needless items that won't fix the problem.

Thoughts?

Whenever I see/hear the word torrent the first thing I suggest is a Virus/malware scan Avast, Avg, Malwarebytes whatever your comfortable with as long as it's something other than windows defender.

(Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative tools > System Configuration)
Diagnostic startup disables almost every thing but essential programs and windows services, If it's running a great deal faster chances are one of your programs is most likely slowing you down.

What speed is your 1TB HDD? If it's 5400 RPM than this is most likely your culprit, Consider upgrading to an SSD or 7200RPM Hybrid drive(if you need the space).

If you've re-seated card and ensured the power connections are correct the card is most likely DOA. Also I know the 970's are supposed to be "silent" but I'm pretty sure the fans should remain on for at least a few minutes or the entire boot process.

Your probably best off just exchanging it from the retailer you purchased it from if your within the exchange period, If not RMA it.

But, If you want to troubleshoot you can try the following:

If you have one try it out with a different display, preferably a monitor.

Try all other available outputs on the card if you haven't already.

Since you know your booting into Windows (i assume through sound) does windows make the device unplugged sound when your removing and inserting the HDMI?
If it doesn't then windows is most likely not seeing the card.

Try enabling the safe boot option from the boot tab of msconfig(Control Panel > System & Security > Administrative tools > System Configuration) when you have the GTX 780 connected then shutdown and connect the 970 to see if it makes a difference.
(To disable safe mode, just select normal startup from the general tab)

****IF YOUR POWER SUPPLY IS CAPABLE connect both cards and see if they show up in your BIOS/device manager. If your power supply isn't due to the amount of connectors or required wattage, don't attempt this.

Okay, thanks for the advice. I have a 1500w PSU so it should be fine to try both cards. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps and I'll reply if I need more assistance (unless I just send the card back).

Thank you!

EDIT: So as it turns out, the pins in my PCI Express x16 slot 1 were bent. Don't ask me how the GTX 780 still worked, but my new 970 works fine in slot 3.

_Isaac

Sorry the help, isn't helping much!

But now that we can rule out the OS you most likely have a driver or hardware issue,

If you haven't already try running Windows Memory Diagnostic Program

Do a clean install of your Nvidia drivers
(Pick your card and OS from http://www.geforce.com/drivers download and run the installer. Choose advanced installation and tick off the perform clean installation check box.)

Restart and see if it still crashes, Just note that diagnostic startup disables almost every thing but essential programs and windows services.

Oh my God! It's fixed now! It turned out it was my SSD, which is weird because we checked out the drives with the commands recommended earlier. I guess this issue doesn't show up. I searched around about the Crucial SSD, and apparently there's some issue with that model where if it's been used over 5000 hours it shuts down after an hour of use which is roughly how often my computer would freeze up. I got the latest firmware update, and after that it hasn't frozen up!

Man what a relief. This has been annoying me for weeks! Now I can enjoy MGSV in peace!

Thank you guys so much for all the help! It ended up being something pretty random, but I've learned a lot about troubleshooting. It should be of great help in the future. [:

Kinokou

Not really a tech support question but I don't see the point in a new thread.

Can anyone recomend me a easy to use HTML editor for newsletter email creation? It would be a big bonus if it's chromebook compatible.

jayhawker

I work in a small office that uses dropbox across 20-ish mac computers. The problem is people keep accidentally drag-dropping root folders to bizarre locations, often times taking hundreds of thousands of files off of dropbox completely. It's always a huge mess, and even when I discover what happened and get the files back to where they are supposed to be, it takes forever for dropbox to process the change.

(I'm familiar with the "undo event" feature, but these deletion events are often so large that it takes a full day for the computer to process and even give me the option to undo, and even then the events are often so large that it won't let me undo on my own. It makes me contact dropbox support to do it for me, and they take a minimum of 48 hours to even respond in my experience).

Anyway, this would all be solved if finder would just prompt users to confirm their drag and drop. ("Do you really want to move 200,000 files to <location>?") It's always just a stray click from someone who didn't mean to move anything, who would presumably freak out and hit "no" upon reading a prompt.

Anyone know a way to do this? If we bought Path Finder, would it give us that option? (I'm the unofficial IT guy even though that's not my job at all).

Neverfade

A bit after upgrading to windows 10 my PC started to crash everytime it came out of sleep. I couldn't find a solution so I just reinstalled fresh since I was meaning to do it anyway.

New install, everything is fine. For a while. It's doing it again, despite no perceived changes made since it started.

When it comes out of sleep I quickly see a BSOD saying it attempted to write to read only memory and it reboots. In Event Viewer I'm getting Event ID 41 (Kernel Power).

Does this have something to do with my PSU shitting the bed?

oneran

A bit after upgrading to windows 10 my PC started to crash everytime it came out of sleep. I couldn't find a solution so I just reinstalled fresh since I was meaning to do it anyway.

New install, everything is fine. For a while. It's doing it again, despite no perceived changes made since it started.

When it comes out of sleep I quickly see a BSOD saying it attempted to write to read only memory and it reboots. In Event Viewer I'm getting Event ID 41 (Kernel Power).

Does this have something to do with my PSU shitting the bed?

Event ID 41 means the system shutdown unexpectedly it could be for a number of reasons, seeing as the blue screen said it attempted to write to read only memory I'd start by running the windows memory diagnostic program. You may also want to lookup and install the latest chipset drivers from your device/motherboard manufacture's website.

RCSI

This may not be a problem, per se, but I need help in scanning and then listing files that have been deleted in Windows. The caveat here is I am not interested in recovery, but listing them with the filename, date modified and other attributes (that are still present).

Similar to what Recuva does, but it does not export date modified, which is what I need. So it needs to list even unrecoverable files and I would like to export this list from whatever command line or program to a text file or spreadsheet. Are there any free options out there?

Open to Linux options as well, not just Window programs.

I've been having crashing issues with Elite: Dangerous, and I know it has to do with my video card. I contacted the devs, and they said to downclock my card by 50 MHz. Looking at the settings, do I lower it on the graphics clock, memory clock, or both?

Has any one else had trouble with the new driver Nvidia released this month?

My laptop has onboard intel graphics, as well as the GeForce G210M graphics card.

But since the update I can't get both drivers running properly at the same time. I guess it could be a coincidence, but was just wondering if it was a common issue.

Top Bottom