• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Astra

Hey Tech-GAF, been having an odd issue with my USB 2.0 ports. It seems they occasionally have a sudden disruption of power, or something. It's only the 2.0 ports, as everything connected to the 3.0 ports function just fine.

When the interruption happens, I keep hearing the device connected, and disconnected sounds over and over, the the lights on my mouse are very dim, as though it's not getting the power it needs. However, a system restart resolves the issue for a time, but it always happens again days later.

I thought maybe a PSU issue, but I would imagine the 3.0 ports would have issue, as well.

I also don't have many things plugged into my PC. Just my mouse, keyboard, and a controller.

Uriah

I'm having issues with games stuttering in Windows 10. I didn't have this problem before I upgraded. I've tried a clean install (twice) and reinstalling my GPU drivers but nothing seems to work. I'm pretty desperate for a solution as it is an annoying problem.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone good with DPC Latency? I'm getting audio pops, and stutter in games.

rdx25so.jpg

I've tried and older driver which was suggested by Google, and I'm now on the latest with no real change. Intel 82579V.

oneran

I'm having issues with games stuttering in Windows 10. I didn't have this problem before I upgraded. I've tried a clean install (twice) and reinstalling my GPU drivers but nothing seems to work. I'm pretty desperate for a solution as it is an annoying problem.

Have you tried a clean install of your GPU drivers? other than that the only other thing I can recommend is checking resource monitor and see if another application is slowing you down (i.e high disk/cpu usage)

Is anyone good with DPC Latency? I'm getting audio pops, and stutter in games.

rdx25so.jpg

I've tried and older driver which was suggested by Google, and I'm now on the latest with no real change. Intel 82579V.

You may want to try disabling any power management settings on your network card in both device manager and advanced power settings. (Or set it to the Highest/max performance)

Does dxdiag report any problems under the sound tab(s)?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I turned off power saving on the network card and it lowered by 400. DXDIAG says the sound driver isn't signed, it's the official Creative one though. I'd love to get this fixed as I'm sure it's the cause of my issues with Diablo III.

It seems a lot of people with this NIC have this issue, would buying a hardware one like this help? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CY0P7G/

oneran

I turned off power saving on the network card and it lowered by 400. DXDIAG says the sound driver isn't signed, it's the official Creative one though. I'd love to get this fixed as I'm sure it's the cause of my issues with Diablo III.

That's strange if it's from Creative it should be signed, you downloaded it directly from their support website right?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, from their official site. And see my edit above about the hardware NIC.

Uriah

Have you tried a clean install of your GPU drivers? other than that the only other thing I can recommend is checking resource monitor and see if another application is slowing you down (i.e high disk/cpu usage)

You may want to try disabling any power management settings on your network card in both device manager and advanced power settings. (Or set it to the Highest/max performance)

Does dxdiag report any problems under the sound tab(s)?

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, a clean install didn't work. I've tried multiple GPUs so it doesn't seem like its an issue with my GPU.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Also if I disable the onboard NIC entirely it's fine, but then I have no internet which is what made me think about buying a hardware one:

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It has always been a problem, it's not Windows 10 specific. I'm using a XFI XtremeGamer which is supported.

oneran

No, but the driver can't be from the date stated as they didn't release a driver at that time, and I just installed the latest from their website which is: http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13491 (SBXF_PCDRV_L11_2_30_0007.exe) which is dated 18th/Aug.

Is dxdiag still reporting any problems under the sound tab(s)? because that driver is digitally signed.

Also I assume that high definition audio device is your integrated sound card you may want to disable that through your bios.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is dxdiag still reporting any problems under the sound tab(s)? because that driver is digitally signed.

Also I assume that high definition audio device is your integrated sound card you may want to disable that through your bios.

That's the HDMI audio from my GTX 970, I need that as I use my TV to watch streams and stuff while in bed. I have my onboard sound disabled in the BIOS and in the device manager.

The file ctaud2k.sys is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT2: How am I getting 2600 Adobe Flash Player pagefaults when I don't even have it installed? The actual fuck lol

EDIT: Spoke too soon, it's not fixed, well partially maybe. After leaving it for 30 minutes it showed some issues, just not the old issue which has been fixed at least. Any ideas on the new issues?

FIXED!

I followed this guide, and I had only done the software/Windows section. I think removing the Intel Network Driver might have done it, now I'm using the basic one Win10 installs.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1433882/...ios-optimization-guide-for-modern-pc-hardware

I have to go to the doctors soon but I'm looking forward to seeing if this helps my stutter in Diablo III.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
My Latencymon log after an hour:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:56:46 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
Computer name: xxx
OS version: Windows 8 , 6.2, build: 9200 (x64)
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., P8Z77-V PRO
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Logical processors: 4
Processor groups: 1
RAM: 8135 MB total

CPU SPEED
Reported CPU speed: 340 MHz
Measured CPU speed: 1 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 12355.967267
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 2.573874

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 12322.838120
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 0.910114

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 59.740294
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.048651
Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.054745

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 527596
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 123.093824
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 355.82 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.026230
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 355.82 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.067966

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 2990012
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: adobe_flash_player.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 6984
Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 3630
Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 216962.657647
Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.069581
Number of processes hit: 23

PER CPU DATA
CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 17.255411
CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 59.740294
CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 7.456759
CPU 0 ISR count: 527496
CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 123.093824
CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 6.915567
CPU 0 DPC count: 2153775
CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.532843
CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 46.728824
CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.001673
CPU 1 ISR count: 100
CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 71.945588
CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 0.551784
CPU 1 DPC count: 232413
CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 1.617932
CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 2 ISR count: 0
CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 84.756471
CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 0.692168
CPU 2 DPC count: 258754
CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 2.075660
CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 0.0
CPU 3 ISR count: 0
CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 78.088824
CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 1.100128
CPU 3 DPC count: 345070

Pagefaults after an hour:

oneran

Well I'm pretty much stumped, The only other thing I can recommend is uninstalling the driver by right clicking the creative SB x-fi device in device manager. Select uninstall and tick off the delete driver software for this device check box. Once it's gone search the windows folder for ctaud2k.sys if you find it delete it and re-install the sound card driver and hope for the best.

You may also want to try a clean install of your GPU drivers (under the custom installation options) because I'm pretty sure the high definition audio device should be listed as an Nvidia high definition audio or at least mine always has.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Although Latencymon is still throwing a fit, what I did yesterday solved my stutter in Diablo III, the game is great now. I think the biggest thing was removing the offending Intel Proset Network driver which was causing massive latency, after removing it and letting Win10 install the basic driver the latency is gone and so is my stuttering. But I did so much yesterday I can't say what fixed it for sure, but something did and I have read this Intel driver causes lots of issues for other people so that's my bet.

As for the Nvidia driver, it shows as HD Audio if you don't install the Nvidia driver which I never do, I always do a clean install with DDU and only install the base driver and physx.

So thanks for taking this journey with me, LM still isn't perfect but I'm not creating audio on my PC anyway, the main problem I was having was Diablo III and that's fixed so I'm happy as Larry!

My computer has a 128GB SSD as the C drive (and a 1TB HDD as a second partition). I bought a 512GB SSD, and I want to copy the 128GB C drive entirely over to the it, so it's seen as the C drive, then I would remove the 128GB SSD. What is the best way to go about doing this? The computer is currently running Windows 8.1, but I plan to upgrade to 10 after I install the bigger SSD.

Persona7

Banned
When I set up two routers both IPs need to be on the same subnet, right?

For example the first router connected to my modem is 192.168.1.1 while the second router connected to the first router would be 192.168.1.2?

Brohan

So i bought a secondhand R9 285 and it's running stable during games and furmark etc but i'm having this weird issue..

During the intial startup of the computer the very first screen is showing artifacting (I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the screen that gives a bunch of info and has stuff on it like ''American Megatrends''.

However after this screen passes there appear to be no problems at all, not during windows startup and not during windows itself.

Any idea what is causing the issue and should i be worried?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

oneran

My computer has a 128GB SSD as the C drive (and a 1TB HDD as a second partition). I bought a 512GB SSD, and I want to copy the 128GB C drive entirely over to the it, so it's seen as the C drive, then I would remove the 128GB SSD. What is the best way to go about doing this? The computer is currently running Windows 8.1, but I plan to upgrade to 10 after I install the bigger SSD.

Most drive manufactures provide some kind of drive imaging software that you can download from their website. Read the instructions, but typically you will use the program create a bootable disk connect both drives and clone the 128 > 512 and then simply replace the drives. Keep the 128GB as backup just in case but once your assured you won't need it any more just format and do whatever you want with it.
(Before you do anything just make sure you have backup of any important data)

When I set up two routers both IPs need to be on the same subnet, right?

For example the first router connected to my modem is 192.168.1.1 while the second router connected to the first router would be 192.168.1.2?

Typically yes, you also need to ensure DHCP is only enabled on one of the routers(Preferably the one directly connected to your isp)and any static ip's on your network(I.e the router @ 192.168.1.2)are outside the DHCP range.

s0DTRz1l.jpg

i cant seem to turn off my pc, the light on the power button turn off but the lights on in the front and the led on the gpu doesnt turn off and i cant turn on the pc without pulling the plug

oneran

s0DTRz1l.jpg

i cant seem to turn off my pc, the light on the power button turn off but the lights on in the front and the led on the gpu doesnt turn off and i cant turn on the pc without pulling the plug

Are you sure it's just not in sleep mode?

Try Holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds, it should do a hard shutdown.

oneran

same thing happens when i put the pc into sleep mode, i have to pull the plug to get it to start

That looks like a pre-built system, did you just get it or has this always been a problem?

Does your monitor display anything?

Also have you made any changes to the BIOS recently?

That looks like a pre-built system, did you just get it or has this always been a problem?

Does your monitor display anything?

Also have you made any changes to the BIOS recently?

its a asus g10aj got it about 2 months ago, i believe it has happened once before but it never happened again until recently and this time it is consistent , i've also had issues with the clock desyncing when i first got it

monitor displays nothing, it goes to sleep like normal

and i have not made any changes to the bios

Ecto311

My dad is looking to hook up his old house speakers but wants his iPhone to send the music to them. Is there a simple amp that would take a bluetooth receiver and jack up the power to power them? I googled but it just got me car amps and I am not looking into those for this really. Was considering a raspberry pi for it but I think just a bluetooth adapter to the speakers would work well. Not sure the ohms or anything yet on the speakers but they are about 3 foot tall from the 70's.

oneran

its a asus g10aj got it about 2 months ago, i believe it has happened once before but it never happened again until recently and this time it is consistent , i've also had issues with the clock desyncing when i first got it

monitor displays nothing, it goes to sleep like normal

and i have not made any changes to the bios

If your under warranty you should probably talk with ASUS Support, file a warranty claim and let them deal with it.

The Clock clock de-syncing normally means the battery on the motherboard is dead/dying , But I would doubt that seeing as it's a brand new machine it's most likely a problem with the bios.

The only thing I can recommend if you want to try to fix this on your own is going to the ASUS Support website find your desktop download the BIOS update utility and the latest BIOS version and then update it. Just be careful, follow the instructions and make sure you have the correct bios file for your machine.

My dad is looking to hook up his old house speakers but wants his iPhone to send the music to them. Is there a simple amp that would take a bluetooth receiver and jack up the power to power them? I googled but it just got me car amps and I am not looking into those for this really. Was considering a raspberry pi for it but I think just a bluetooth adapter to the speakers would work well. Not sure the ohms or anything yet on the speakers but they are about 3 foot tall from the 70's.

I was looking into this a few months ago for a similar situation this is pretty much the best amp I've found under $30 http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Hi-Fi-2-Channel-Stereo-Amplifier-For-Home-Power-Adapter-AR002-AR016-/271969787362?hash=item3f52a99de2 anything else I found was either too expensive for me to justify the cost. I didn't end up going through with it because the situation changed so I can't speak for the quality of the product but before you buy anything you really should find the speaker impedance so you don't risk damaging them.

Joeku

What up TechSupportGAF. I could use some only slightly tangentially-related advice.

Long story short (deep breath):
Got a Gigabyte 970 at the start of the year. Had minor issues I figured I'd deal with but they escalated severely (constant crashing in video games under certain engines or from certain devs, like, Witcher 3 works great but Blizzard games are constantly giving me TDRs) to the point where I was a getting a crash to white in anything after updating the firmware on the card.

So I finally do the obvious thing: RMA the piece of crap. Send it off (from Canada to the US, nearly $40 CDN later...) and get it back a few weeks later. My hope was they would just replace it after noticing the issue, but it had the same serial number. I try it out and it is exhibiting exactly the same problems it had before: crashing in Blizzard stuff, Dontnod stuff, 3DMark, Evolve, Deadcore, not letting me run audio through HDMI, etc, problems I had spent what amounted to weeks and months trying to fix before I had sent it in.

Now, this all said, what are my expectations if I send the thing back to Gigabyte again? I really don't want to keep dropping money and wasting time on shipping RMAs back for the same problems over and over. Has anyone had RMA'd cards come back this way, and if so, would customer support give enough of a shit to just replace it if I explained this to them, or do I have to suffer through this bullshit forever?

I had a weirdly good time putting my old 6850 back into my PC and being obligated to go through my backlog of 2011-2012 stuff. Not a single problem whatsoever. Human Revolution is the bomb.

pyros

Can anyone tell me how to remove chrome from windows 8.1? It doesn't appear in the uninstall program list and seems to be installed in the %appdata% folder

Brohan

Repost here for new page:

So i bought a secondhand R9 285 and it's running stable during games and furmark etc but i'm having this weird issue..

During the intial startup of the computer the very first screen is showing artifacting (I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be the screen that gives a bunch of info and has stuff on it like ''American Megatrends''.

However after this screen passes there appear to be no problems at all, not during windows startup and not during windows itself.

oneran

Can anyone tell me how to remove chrome from windows 8.1? It doesn't appear in the uninstall program list and seems to be installed in the %appdata% folder

Are you on an administrators account? Because if chrome is installed system-wide you need admin privileges to get rid of it.

See: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95319?hl=en

Repost here for new page:

If applicable ensure your integrated GPU is disabled, and as long as you can get into the bios and everything is displayed properly I wouldn't worry too much about it if widows isn't giving you problems.

Brohan

If applicable ensure your integrated GPU is disabled, and as long as you can get into the bios and everything is displayed properly I wouldn't worry too much about it if widows isn't giving you problems.

Yeah the bios itself is still working/displaying properly and no problems in windows whatsoever.

I tried disabling the integrated gpu from within the bios but there is no actual option to disable to entirely sadly.

But i guess i should be fine then :).

Thank you very much.

I had a bit of an incident earlier tonight and wanted to run it by you guys. I got hit by one of those Malware things that locks your web browser and tries to scare you with FBI yadda yadda yaddda, all your files are encrypted unless you pay us. I scanned with MalwareBytes and my antivirus. Neither turned up anything. After all tnat was done, I went back into Firefox (Chrome still worked fine through all this) and FF did it's "Oops, something odd happened" and has been working fine since. I cleared the history and the cookies from that particular site (bergscse.jeffzaino/wiki/public- and then a ton of numbers and letters). Anything else I should be doing?

oneran

I had a bit of an incident earlier tonight and wanted to run it by you guys. I got hit by one of those Malware things that locks your web browser and tries to scare you with FBI yadda yadda yaddda, all your files are encrypted unless you pay us. I scanned with MalwareBytes and my antivirus. Neither turned up anything. After all tnat was done, I went back into Firefox (Chrome still worked fine through all this) and FF did it's "Oops, something odd happened" and has been working fine since. I cleared the history and the cookies from that particular site (bergscse.jeffzaino/wiki/public- and then a ton of numbers and letters). Anything else I should be doing?

Check your quarantine section of MalwareBytes/your AV it may have isolated it before it caused any damage.If your running windows defender as your anti-virus I would recommend you download a free anti-virus like avast and run a boot-time scan. If it comes up clean feel free to uninstall it afterwards. You may also want to open up a few documents (word files, pics) just to ensure nothing is encrypted.

If you have any other windows devices/network shares on your network you should check them as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
on windows, is there a way to default to a particular account at startup? Even though I'm usually the only one using my desktop, whenever it starts up it always starts with another account and then complains the password is incorrect, and then I have to switch to the correct user and type the pin code.

Would be way simpler if I could have it bring up my normal account and then I can just bang in the PIN code and I'm off.

i got my pc back from best buy geek squad, apparently they found nothing wrong, apparently the could replicate the issue with my pc turning off

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Can I revert back to 8.1, then do a clean install of 8.1 using my key, then go back to Windows 10 if I want to later? I'm having issues with Witcher 3 hitching, and I'm just trying to rule everything out.

I want to do this now if someone can let me know ASAP, cheers!

Uriah

So I built a new PC and I'm having some issues with the SSD (it's my first build with an SSD). I occasionally get an error message on startup that says "the boot device can't be found." I've double checked to make sure everything is plugged everything is. It seems to happen randomly. Any ideas?

Can I revert back to 8.1, then do a clean install of 8.1 using my key, then go back to Windows 10 if I want to later? I'm having issues with Witcher 3 hitching, and I'm just trying to rule everything out.

I want to do this now if someone can let me know ASAP, cheers!

Yup. If you upgraded to Win10 then use a key finder to find your Win10 key, it's separate from the existing Win8.1 key, before you roll back.

oneran

So I built a new PC and I'm having some issues with the SSD (it's my first build with an SSD). I occasionally get an error message on startup that says "the boot device can't be found." I've double checked to make sure everything is plugged everything is. It seems to happen randomly. Any ideas?

Ensure the firmware on the drive is up to date, if the manufacture offers diagnostic utilities you may want to try them as well.

Also ensure your boot priority is set correctly and your not using any special features such as the built-in raid controller in you bios.

(I'm assuming it's connected via Sata cable, correct?)

Top Bottom