• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

Been out of the Tier 1 game too long and honestly feeling kind of dumb right now.

Added a second monitor (Dell E2414H) to a setup via VGA that does 1920x1080. Monitor refuses to go above 1280x1024. Not an option. Thought I had it figured out when I noticed it was on 75hz (max res 1280x1024) but went down to 60 and same issue. Even if it's the ONLY screen being used, it will not go above 1280x1024.

First thing I think is drivers but the machine is a Lenovo X250 (not that old) with Intel 5000 graphics and I have never ever had to download drivers for a fucking monitor.

It shows as generic PnP monitor, where-as the other display, working properly, shows make and model, so I guess it probably is driver-related?

What year is it?

One restart: same problem.

Two restarts: problem fixed.

Fuck Microsoft and fuck Windows.

Anyone had problems with dual booting?

I installed Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS alongside with the preinstalled win10 on my new laptop, Acer Inspire V3-372, and it installed successfully at least seemingly. However, the laptop boots straight to Windows still and the only places indicating that the OS is actually installed are when trying to reinstall it (it notices that I have it already installed), and if I try to select an UEFI file as trusted for executing in the BIOS security settings (it lists ubuntu in EFI section, but it doesn't find anything from there that could help). The BIOS Boot section doesn't list anything related to the OS in the Boot priority order list, nor does the efibootmgr command when using it from the Ubuntu Live environment (launched from usb stick).

I was able to install the OS in legacy mode, but I'd prefer to have it in UEFI mode so I can dual boot instead of having to go to BIOS every time I need to switch the OS.

I tried disabling Secure boot, but it didn't help (and as far as I understand, it shouldn't make a difference anyway). I tried googling around, but didn't really find cases quite as similar to mine. Anyone got any ideas?

I accidentally attributed a folder to hidden once. Interesting (and insightful) mistake realized when I found the missing folder months later after switching a then unknown feature on. What version of Windows are you using?

latest version of windows 10 64bit

dpunk3

latest version of windows 10 64bit

Ok, then open up explorer (anywhere). Click on the "View" tab up on the top. Then on that top ribbon there will be a checkbox that says "Hidden items." Make sure that's checked off, and you can see hidden documents. Check where the folder you're looking for used to be, if it's there then you can view it. If it isn't, then you didn't hide the file it either got moved or deleted.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I've been having some bandwidth issues for the last three days. I noticed that Service Host: Local System in Task Manager shows that it is using all of my idle bandwidth. It's not a huge problem, as it allows everything else to take priority over it, although I feel like it does cause a tiny bit of lag in online games. I don't have a huge amount of bandwidth to begin with, but given that it's been doing this for several days as long as my PC is on, the download has to at least have been upwards of 3-4GB by now. From what I understand, the SHLS is basically just Windows downloading updates and such in the background.

I'm still in Win 8.1, but I don't think this should be the Windows 10 download because for one thing I had already downloaded but not installed it months ago. For another thing, the folders to which the Win 10 download files go aren't growing. I don't see any pending updates in Windows Updates either.

Does anyone know what else would be causing Windows to be downloading huge files for no obvious reason? (I've run a full AV scan and MalwareBytes, with no results.)

Shiv47

My daughter has an HP all in one PC running Windows 10. It's only about six weeks old. Recently, it developed an error where it can't run a bunch of system-related stuff. I discovered this when trying to update Java for her, and it timed out on the exe. The error is 1053, which returns a "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." message. All the "fixes" I've seen ask the user to do things I can't, because of the error. Like, try to fix the registry. Can't, it times out. Can't update Windows, if that would even help, because none of the update/security tabs work in Settings. Regedit times out. Task Manager times out. Any .exe times out. I can run the troubleshooting function, but it just asks to run as an admin, which, when I click that button, does nothing. This shit is maddening. Is there anything beyond just wiping the computer and starting over that I can do?

Ok, then open up explorer (anywhere). Click on the "View" tab up on the top. Then on that top ribbon there will be a checkbox that says "Hidden items." Make sure that's checked off, and you can see hidden documents. Check where the folder you're looking for used to be, if it's there then you can view it. If it isn't, then you didn't hide the file it either got moved or deleted.

Yeah checking hidden is first thing I did. But like I said there should be some sort of data that shows up as recoverable or unrecoverable when running recuva but there is no trace of the file. It's been on a seagate external for past two years

oneran

I've been having some bandwidth issues for the last three days. I noticed that Service Host: Local System in Task Manager shows that it is using all of my idle bandwidth. It's not a huge problem, as it allows everything else to take priority over it, although I feel like it does cause a tiny bit of lag in online games. I don't have a huge amount of bandwidth to begin with, but given that it's been doing this for several days as long as my PC is on, the download has to at least have been upwards of 3-4GB by now. From what I understand, the SHLS is basically just Windows downloading updates and such in the background.

I'm still in Win 8.1, but I don't think this should be the Windows 10 download because for one thing I had already downloaded but not installed it months ago. For another thing, the folders to which the Win 10 download files go aren't growing. I don't see any pending updates in Windows Updates either.

Does anyone know what else would be causing Windows to be downloading huge files for no obvious reason? (I've run a full AV scan and MalwareBytes, with no results.)

It could be downloading the latest build of the windows 10 install files, either that or it may be stuck on a update and caught in a loop. Try checking your update history and install any outstanding critical updates.

My daughter has an HP all in one PC running Windows 10. It's only about six weeks old. Recently, it developed an error where it can't run a bunch of system-related stuff. I discovered this when trying to update Java for her, and it timed out on the exe. The error is 1053, which returns a "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." message. All the "fixes" I've seen ask the user to do things I can't, because of the error. Like, try to fix the registry. Can't, it times out. Can't update Windows, if that would even help, because none of the update/security tabs work in Settings. Regedit times out. Task Manager times out. Any .exe times out. I can run the troubleshooting function, but it just asks to run as an admin, which, when I click that button, does nothing. This shit is maddening. Is there anything beyond just wiping the computer and starting over that I can do?

Normally I'd recommend running the System File Checker but seeing as you can't elevate your account privileges
wiping the computer and starting over is probably your best bet.

Refreshing in Windows 10 may be of help if you can access it. If not your probably going to have to access your recovery partition, HP's support web page should give you instructions on how to do that.

Shiv47

Normally I'd recommend running the System File Checker but seeing as you can't elevate your account privileges
wiping the computer and starting over is probably your best bet.

Refreshing in Windows 10 may be of help if you can access it. If not your probably going to have to access your recovery partition, HP's support web page should give you instructions on how to do that.

Yeah, I can't access that Reset function, for some reason everything in that tab in Settings doesn't work at all. I was able to run the command prompt by having it ask for the admin password, but that didn't work either, it just immediately returned the 1053 error. I guess I'm nuking the system then. Thanks for the advice.

DarthWoo

It could be downloading the latest build of the windows 10 install files, either that or it may be stuck on a update and caught in a loop. Try checking your update history and install any outstanding critical updates.

I guess it must have been Windows 10 downloading all over again for whatever reason. I know I had let it download about 3GB last year. The hidden folder on my main drive had shown around 75MB every time I checked it for the past couple days, but it abruptly shot up to 3GB an hour ago. Unfortunately, it seems the downloading isn't quite over yet.

DarthWoo

So now that it's been downloaded all over again, the Windows 10 update is just telling me that it's going to install itself on Wednesday unless I opt out. If I cancel the scheduled but unsolicited install, is it going to delete the install files or can I just keep them around and tell it to install them at a later time?

Windows keeps waking up my PC from sleep mode every 5 minutes. I think I've figured out why. Since 2 days ago, Windows has started selecting Windows 10 for update, even though I have auto updates off and I manually uncheck Windows 10 from my updates menu. Some minutes later - and apparently even if my PC is asleep - Windows will check Windows 10 in the updates menu again, which wakes up my PC. I also permanently have the "install updates" notification on my shutdown button, even though I have no updates selected.

Install-Updates-and-Shutdown.jpg

It's annoying as shit because I can't put my PC to sleep now. How do I get Windows to stop selecting Windows 10 for update?

televator

Is there a thread for console tech support? I need to know where to get a replacement top screen for a New 3DS XL, but I'm not turning up anything in my searches...

Rufus

Is there a thread for console tech support? I need to know where to get a replacement top screen for a New 3DS XL, but I'm not turning up anything in my searches...
You might be able to get somewhere by searching for the part number. Dunno how much Nintendo obfuscates these things, but since you're going to have to open it up anyway...

televator

You might be able to get somewhere by searching for the part number. Dunno how much Nintendo obfuscates these things, but since you're going to have to open it up anyway...

Yeah good points. Especially considering, that the reason I'm asking is because I found a person selling an N3DS XL for $50. It just has a busted top screen. Seeing as how I'm not shy at all with tearing my systems apart and modding them... This is extremely enticing. I just have to find the screen replacement. Buying the busted 3ds and opening it up could get me somewhere toward finding a replacement... No guarantee though.

I got a new LG LED 22" 16:9 monitor, and I'm having weird issues with brightness.

I've looked up several forums and they say it's the nature of the monitor, but it's there a way to make the display more...black?

Rufus

Other than lowering the brightness? No. The people you talked to were right. Nothing much to be done about backlight bleeding.

ElTopo

Banned
Quick question and apologies if it's dumb: if I upgrade to Win 10, do I have to re-install everything or will it save all of my installed programs?

ElTopo

Banned
You can choose during install.

Does that affect anything? I had to clone my hard drive when I switched to an SSD and I noticed that my SSD sometimes stutters for about 5-10 seconds. I read later that that happens when you clone a hard drive instead of going for a fresh install.

Does that affect anything? I had to clone my hard drive when I switched to an SSD and I noticed that my SSD sometimes stutters for about 5-10 seconds. I read later that that happens when you clone a hard drive instead of going for a fresh install.

It shouldn't matter. Never heard of that stutter issue, and I find it implausible to have anything to do with cloning a drive.

Weird thing happening and don't know how it started. I can't access my website from any browser on my macbook air. However, I can go there just fine on my phone. I've tried other WiFi/tethering to no avail.

Recently I started using a cloud proxy/firewall service. Maybe that has something to do with it? Others say it is DNS related - what can I do to solve it?

Kalentan

Hey guys I need some help with my Lenovo Y50 laptop. Lately, I've been getting Windows Kernel Event 41, which means that, even if I put my computer into sleep mode, it claims it crashes or something. This ALSO is on top of the fact that my computer, when I try to turn it on, I see the power button light up (along with the keyboard), and then it goes dark and then it repeats this until it eventually boots.

When I'm actually on my laptop, everything is running just fine. It's just something with the booting for some reason seemed screwed. I wonder if I'm getting Event 41 because of this...

Any help? :(

Cross-Posting from the PC Building thread. (I didn't realize we had a tech support thread!)

Anyways,

So I built my PC this last December; everything has been great! However, recently I've been having troubles with Chrome.

Whenever I wake my PC from "Sleep Mode" Chrome won't open. I'll click to open, I'll see the little loading circle for a few seconds, then nothing. Whenever I check my Task Manager it shows that Chrome is open...but it isn't :/. (I'v tried killing Chrome in task manager and re-launching Chrome...doesn't work)

I've tried reinstalling and that doesn't help. Resetting my PC allows me to open Chrome, but if I put it to sleep and try to open after waking, I get the same issues. So I have to reset my PC whenever I want to use Chrome.

Is this a known issue and are there any fixes? I will mention that I recently switched my Anti-Virus from Norton to Avast! Maybe my anti-virus settings are preventing Chrome from always opening?

Edit - I'm using Windows 10 btw.

Megasoum

Banned
What's the general concensus on Seagate Barracuda HDD?

I want to replace my two old HDDs (1tb and 2tb) with one big 3tb drive... Normally I would shop online to get it for a good price but I woke up this morning with the idea of doing all that today.

My choices are a bit limited to buy locally...

I have this one http://microbytes.com/index.php/sata3-3-0tb-seagate-7200-64m-st3000dm001.html

or maybe this one

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product...spx?path=c399840314cd0fbc7ff5b7dcecbf0991en02

Although I'm not sure why they are still making full size HDD running at 5400rpm!?

Cross-posting from the "I need a new PC thread", which probably wasn't meant for this kind of question:

I just swapped out my i7 2600k/ ASUS p8z68-v pro/gen3 for an i7 6700k / ASUS z170-a and I'm having some problems with my graphics cards or the second PCIE slot or something.

The first indication of an issue was that I saw no post screens when I first booted up the computer. I thought maybe my new mobo was DOA, but I saw I had mistakenly swapped my two GPU's (980ti's) and had the HDMI connection to my monitor on my second GPU. Eventually after a couple of reboots Windows 10 appeared. It certainly seemed odd, but who was I to argue with a successful boot up? At this point my HDMI cable is still running through PCIE_2 (the second GPU).

After getting all the drivers for the new Intel chipsets, etc installed I went to fire up The Division to put the rig through its paces. I used Afterburner to inspect the GPU's and noticed that only 1 GPU was being used heavily - the second one was barely being utilitzed. That was odd to me, because prior to the computer upgrade the game was very good about loading both GPU's.

So then comes the strangest part: after I swapped out the faulty Xinput driver (the one that causes the mouse beeping) then Windows says "hey you need to reboot." OK, so I did that and ever since then the SECOND gpu won't show up in Device Manager. And by "won't show up" I mean I don't even have a device listed or anything. Furthermore, in the z170-a bios it says "Not detected" when I go to the options to change bus speed on the PCIE channels (may not be saying that correctly). I can only assume at this point the PCIE_2 channel is broken or something and that it was intermittent when I first booted up the new rig because it was standing at death's door.

Both cards work fine when in the primary slot, so a GPU didn't suddenly die on me or something.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I've already initiated a replacement through Amazon, so I guess I'll know in a couple of days if the motherboard is just faulty.

Herne

Does anyone know of a good method of getting to the desktop after a program or game has frozen? I'm having issues with Mass Effect 3 freezing on startup and I just cannot get to the desktop through any key combination, such as CTRL, ALT, DEL, ALT F4, ALT TAB, Windows key, etc. I have Task Manager set to always on top, but this isn't helping in this case. I'm forced to press the restart button on the computer when I see the hard drive light stop, which due to my ssd is a fast process but obviously not ideal.

The game was running fine up until yesterday when it started acting up like this, now it's constantly doing it. I'm re-downloading from Origin, but I don't think it's going away. Surely there's some method of getting to the desktop or at least to Task Manager that works?

Yo TechSupportGAF, my screen is shifted to the right. I've tried rolling back to an older update for my graphics card, it has nothing to do with my monitor (I've tried auto adjusting it, moving the settings left or right and when I do I get a black bar instead), tried resetting my display settings, resolution settings.

So I just took a screenshot and pasted it onto PS but the screenshot shows the whole desktop. So instead, I tried to replicate what it looks like right now:

Screen_Issue_RS_zpsmapl9nxf.png

Oddly enough, this has happened twice now. The first time I restarted my pc and it reverted back to normal. My family doesn't do much with the computer. My brother sometimes uses it to watch anime but that's it. Is there a permanent solution to this?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yo TechSupportGAF, my screen is shifted to the right. I've tried rolling back to an older update for my graphics card, it has nothing to do with my monitor (I've tried auto adjusting it, moving the settings left or right and when I do I get a black bar instead), tried resetting my display settings, resolution settings.

So I just took a screenshot and pasted it onto PS but the screenshot shows the whole desktop. So instead, I tried to replicate what it looks like right now:

Screen_Issue_RS_zpsmapl9nxf.png

Oddly enough, this has happened twice now. The first time I restarted my pc and it reverted back to normal. My family doesn't do much with the computer. My brother sometimes uses it to watch anime but that's it. Is there a permanent solution to this?

Did you try going into Device Manager and checking to see if you needed a driver? How does your monitor hook up? Maybe try a new cord? USB monitors you can download displayLink.

As far as asking about Windows 10 update, just google it there's a fix for it.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-existing-windows-users-can-refuse-microsofts-windows-10-update/

Weird thing happening and don't know how it started. I can't access my website from any browser on my macbook air. However, I can go there just fine on my phone. I've tried other WiFi/tethering to no avail.

Recently I started using a cloud proxy/firewall service. Maybe that has something to do with it? Others say it is DNS related - what can I do to solve it?

You could try ccleaner and a DNS flush.

Volimar

Okay, so a while back I won an Alienware 13. When I got it, it had trouble starting windows. Since i already had a computer that I used, and the thought of dealing with tech support churns up my anxiety, I just decided to put it on the back burner. Well now I'd like to use the laptop and lo and behold, ignoring the problem didn't make it go away.

I boot up and after the alienware screen when I log in, I get a message saying that Windows couldn't start with a system admin error, a nvid??.sys (can't recall the whole filename) as the cause. Windows restarts a few times and then has to restore to a previous state.

My question is this. What are the odds that upgrading to Windows 10 will fix this problem? I realize that I haven't given you much to go on, but any advice or any other ideas to fix the problem are welcome.

RGM79

Okay, so a while back I won an Alienware 13. When I got it, it had trouble starting windows. Since i already had a computer that I used, and the thought of dealing with tech support churns up my anxiety, I just decided to put it on the back burner. Well now I'd like to use the laptop and lo and behold, ignoring the problem didn't make it go away.

I boot up and after the alienware screen when I log in, I get a message saying that Windows couldn't start with a system admin error, a nvid??.sys (can't recall the whole filename) as the cause. Windows restarts a few times and then has to restore to a previous state.

My question is this. What are the odds that upgrading to Windows 10 will fix this problem? I realize that I haven't given you much to go on, but any advice or any other ideas to fix the problem are welcome.

That filename seems to imply that there's a problem with Nvidia drivers. Upgrading to Windows 10 might solve it, but without knowing for sure, it could just bring the problem along to the new OS, whatever the problem is. If you want to use Windows 10, I'd recommend a clean installation. Otherwise, try booting into safe mode with networking, and then use the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of Nvidia files. Then when your computer is stable, we can move on to more troubleshooting and figure out what drivers you should get.

Hay techsupportgaf.
This is not a joke. My psu doesnt align with the case so I cant screw it in and I live in constant fear that it will fall and destroy my gpu and sagan knows what else. So I came up with a solution:
th26ekK.jpg

My question to you, kindly reader, is this: is it safe to leave cardboard inside a pc

There are two fans underneath it.

Nvm guys, turns out i put it in upside down and thats why it wouldn't align. Case closed

After dealing with spotty driver support on Windows 10, I decided to go back to W7.
I ran a clean install and for whatever reason windows update won't get past checking for updates.
I cleared the software distribution folder and rebooted once more and windows update still won't budge. I've checked the task manager and there is no network (hardwired) usage at all.
Anyone else dealt with this before?

I solved this one but wanted to share it for any exchange guys. Absurd problem that drove me insane for a week.

Get a ticket that outlook and activesync auto discover don't work. Well, work for everyone except a handful of users. All users, for various reasons, are having outlook accounts configured from start. Ok. We have a commonality.

Bad news: hosted Exchange; managed service. Call the provider. "Autodiscover issue; check CAS, internal/external URLs, etc." As usual: "Nothing wrong."

Go to a client. Trying auto configure in outlook for any affected users returns one of 3 errors about not being able to connect to account. Manual config works, and autodiscover redirection pop up appears, but no auto discover features work (free/busy info, automatic replies, outlook anywhere). Outlook 2013 or 2010, Windows 7 or 10, corporate image or factory image, internal or external network makes no difference. Same result. Free/busy kind of important for scheduling meetings, so this is starting to become a fucking problem. Wouldn't you know it most of affected users are upper-levels managers who schedule a lot of meetings. OWA still works normally, so at least a workaround.

Start going down the list. DNS, registry, local XML, firewall/webfilter. Service provider continues to claim must be local. Outlook auto configure test fails at http redirect with error 400. Similarly, going to autodiscover URL and using any of affected user credentials returns "Error 400 - request headers too long." Manual http redirect settings in outlook do nothing. At this point I discover I'm affected by the issue! Great. At least I can use myself as the test. Also notice using random other users' credentials tests successfully.

Ok, so related to account but the shit does not make sense. Read through millions of Microsoft articles and technet threads. Similar issues, some related to 2007 and 2013 coexistence but pretty sure service provider is not doing that and none of the other solutions work. Finally stumble on an OLD ass article about "request headers too long" error related to IIS requests. This is where it gets interesting. When a user is part of many AD groups, kerberos token increases in size. The http request to IIS includes the token in a header. More groups = larger header. If header is too big, error 400.

Let's test it on myself. So, remove myself from a bunch of groups (belonged to 90). Wait 15 mins. Run outlook auto configure test, testconnectivity.microsoft.com and URL test. Guess what? Successful! Restart Outlook and all autodiscover services now work. Clean up membership for affected users and we're back in business.

Apparently though this issue is fixed in Server 2008 R2 and above. I fail to believe service provider is not on R2 but maybe they are? We'll see. Just glad this is over.

Volimar

That filename seems to imply that there's a problem with Nvidia drivers. Upgrading to Windows 10 might solve it, but without knowing for sure, it could just bring the problem along to the new OS, whatever the problem is. If you want to use Windows 10, I'd recommend a clean installation. Otherwise, try booting into safe mode with networking, and then use the latest version of Display Driver Uninstaller to get rid of Nvidia files. Then when your computer is stable, we can move on to more troubleshooting and figure out what drivers you should get.

You were right. Upgrading didn't fix it. I ran system repair and it started up normally. First thing I did was update my drivers and it seems to be working now. For the record, the problem was:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION nviddmkm.sys

I'll update if the problem returns.

Edit: Damn. Tried playing a game and after a minute the computer crashed and it keeps showing that error. Gonna try the uninstaller tip in a while.

RGM79

After dealing with spotty driver support on Windows 10, I decided to go back to W7.
I ran a clean install and for whatever reason windows update won't get past checking for updates.
I cleared the software distribution folder and rebooted once more and windows update still won't budge. I've checked the task manager and there is no network (hardwired) usage at all.
Anyone else dealt with this before?

Is Windows activated? ..And is it activated legitimately?

You were right. Upgrading didn't fix it. I ran system repair and it started up normally. First thing I did was update my drivers and it seems to be working now. For the record, the problem was:

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION nviddmkm.sys

I'll update if the problem returns.

Edit: Damn. Tried playing a game and after a minute the computer crashed and it keeps showing that error. Gonna try the uninstaller tip in a while.

If you don't mind, could you post your laptop's specs? Use a program like Speccy or HWInfo. Both of them should have a feature to save your PC's info to a text file which you can upload somewhere and link for us.

Hey GAF,

My PC power supply, an EVGA 600W Bronze is making a low pitched grinding noise, the fan is spinning unhindered. I have a recording on my phone, but do not know the best way to host it for you to hear. I'm guessing I am going to have to get in contact with the manufacturer, since I bought it roughly six months ago.

Any advice?

I got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT blue screen error the other day... should I be worried, or was it a fluke?

My CPU runs about 80C at max load.

Übersandvich;198555703 said:
Hey GAF,

My PC power supply, an EVGA 600W Bronze is making a low pitched grinding noise, the fan is spinning unhindered. I have a recording on my phone, but do not know the best way to host it for you to hear. I'm guessing I am going to have to get in contact with the manufacturer, since I bought it roughly six months ago.

Any advice?

Get in contact with the manufacturer since you bought it six months ago. You can't really do much else with a PSU. Fixing it yourself is never recommended.

I got a CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT blue screen error the other day... should I be worried, or was it a fluke?

Were you doing anything special when it happened?

Dork94

Neo Member
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X OC 3GB Graphics Card
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W 80+ Silver Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit)

Can anyone please help me with diagnosing graphical artifacts in my rig? I've been trying and failing and thus just dealing with it for almost 2 years now but I'm really starting to reach the end of my tether and don’t want to play through Dark Souls 3 with them. I frequently experience several different kinds of artifacts in both 3D games and 2D applications (Chrome, Adobe Illustrator). The game artifacts are the far worse of the 2 and most frequently happen in newer games (Fallout 4 was the most recent and severe to the point of being unplayable at times, but also MGSV, Shadow of Mordor, Battlefield 4 Planetside 2 and a few others). They usually look like this (not my videos but they are almost identical):

Example 1
Example 2

Sometimes I’ll also get artifacts that look like this. None of them seem to have any discernable pattern or trigger – sometimes I’ll play for hours and see nothing, sometimes they’ll happen immediately or after 5 minutes, though a restart of the game will usually get them to go away for a little while. I’ve tried updating drivers and it’s never made a difference, I’ve RMA’d the first card and had it replaced with no difference (the company also couldn’t get the original card to artifact but replaced it anyway), I’ve performed a Memtest on my RAM which came up clean, I’ve watched temperatures and they don’t seem to be the cause either (I’m at work now so can’t get exact numbers but they seem to be in normal ranges from what I’ve read online). The power supply has also been replaced as a result of another issue since the build was originally put together but again, no difference. I've also tried the fix for R9 280x cards from Example 2 above, but still no change.

What else can I try to find the problem, GAF?

I paid 200 for a radeon 380 and i cant play ff14 on dx11 without crashing repeatedly. Look up the issue and apparently its been known for like a year without being fixed, smh amd fix your fucking drivers

Amon37

I have a Netgear WNDR4300 router. in the past few days something is happening were my speeds are degrading over time. It will get so bad that my wifi devices will not be able to connect until I reboot the router. It's not the cable modem because I rebooted the modem and not the router and it didn't restore speeds and plugged directly to the cable modem the speeds are back to normal. I checked and I don't have anyone leeching my connection either. The router does not have any firmware updates available and it has not updated in a while. There is also no good dd-wrt customer firmware for it. The last time I installed it it was horrible.

Any ideas?

So I think the Roccat Swarm software/drivers, not the mouse itself necessarily, is BSODing my computer. I run Windows 10 and it has only been happening since I installed and started using my Kiro and the Roccat Swarm software. I'm going to leave it unplugged and close the software to see if it happens. If my computer does not BSOD, then I'm sending back my Kiro. I like the mouse, but if I'm getting BSOD by the drivers the mouse needs to run properly, then it's not worth the hassle to keep around :/.

The BSOD I get is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Do you guys think it's probably the mouse drivers?

rtcn63

So I think the Roccat Swarm software/drivers, not the mouse itself necessarily, is BSODing my computer. I run Windows 10 and it has only been happening since I installed and started using my Kiro and the Roccat Swarm software. I'm going to leave it unplugged and close the software to see if it happens. If my computer does not BSOD, then I'm sending back my Kiro. I like the mouse, but if I'm getting BSOD by the drivers the mouse needs to run properly, then it's not worth the hassle to keep around :/.

The BSOD I get is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".

Do you guys think it's probably the mouse drivers?

Are you using it via USB? I've had faulty case USB ports that fucked up the device installation, causing it to BSOD. Had to re-install Windows.

Top Bottom