• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

ACE 1991

ACE 1991 said:
For some reason my CPU fan stays on whenever I put my PC to sleep. I've done some overclocking, (i5 2500K) so maybe this has something to do with it.

Also, does anyone have an answer to this? I think it might be something I tinkered with in my BIOS, but I'm not sure what. Thanks!

jdforge

Banned
Oh crap! So I was attempting to launch a 3rd party theme on my laptop.

I was using the steps as provided in one of the GAF Desktop threads. April 2011 to be exact.

I downloaded some themes and then both the launchers. Activated both of them one required me to do 3 patches. Well it did that itself.

When I restarted my laptop it gets to the Please Wait screen and continually flashes/stalls there.

Anyone able to help??? :-/

Chairhome

I am an idiot. I tried to overclock my CPU through the BIOS, and I must have done something wrong. When it tries to load the OS, it now stops at "Verifying DMI pool". Sometimes it'll say something about it being successful then it'll still hang. I can access the BIOS. I will try removing the battery for a bit from the MB to reset it, but I'm open to suggestions.

EDIT:
I loaded "fail-safe" defaults from the BIOS and it booted. Never mind! :-D

Cyrillus

claviertekky said:
You'll need to set up QoS on your router. However, QoS really sucks on DD-WRT, and I only suggest it for Tomato.

If you can, upgrade to Tomato, but please double check if your router can support it as there are like 8 or 9 different versions of the WRT54G. The specs differ from model to model.

Once in Tomato, enter your bandwidth (go to speedtest.net and multiply the download/upload speeds by 1000) and enter those numbers in accordingly in the QoS section. Next, you'll have to filter out traffic, so you'll need to learn some port #s and how much percentage of the bandwidth they can use.

Off the top of my head:

443: HTTPS
80/8080: HTTP
21: FTP
22: SSH
23: Telnet

You probably only need to set the first three and the Xbox Live ports, which I do not remember. Go search for them.
I know this is a very late response to your reply, Claviertekky, but between moving last month, starting a new job, and the CPU frying on my server without the funds to replace it, I had to put this issue on hold. So, I'm still having this issue, and I did install Tomato on the router itself (and actually switched to an E2000), and enabled/configured QoS, but that doesn't seem to resolve the issue. I've even tried being very generous and bumping the total bandwidth limits to 50% of what I actually get on speed tests (testing with 200MB file transfers). But still the connection halts to a standstill when the ubuntu box powers up, even before logging in, transmitting 40-50KBps, up or down. I realize it's probably not the issue considering I have had this problem at two different locations (both Comcast in the same city), but I took a look at my Motorola SB5120 signal info, and it appears the signal to noise ratio is riding on the lower limit of "acceptable", and the downstream power level is outside acceptable limits. I have a Comcast tech coming out to check the signal, since that was never actually done during installation, but I'm wondering if it could still be the router? or the ubuntu box?

CryptiK

Can anyone here read HiJack this logs I am having random problems with firefox like constant slow loads and crashing

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 4:04:57 PM, on 14/09/2011
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.7601.17514)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe" /starttray
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware] C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe /install /silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Kelly\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OpenOffice.org 3.3.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenOffice.org 3\program\quickstart.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search && Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: MBAMService - Malwarebytes Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: SBSD Security Center Service (SBSDWSCService) - Safer Networking Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDWinSec.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
End of file - 7567 bytes
Also I have Winlogon.exe csrss.exe and atieclxx.exe with no description running in task manager.

In this thread here are my ComboFix and MRB Logs as well: http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1017572-malware-problem.html#post8077128

Gaspode_T

CryptiK said:
Can anyone here read HiJack this logs I am having random problems with firefox like constant slow loads and crashing

Also I have Winlogon.exe csrss.exe and atieclxx.exe with no description running in task manager.

In this thread here are my ComboFix and MRB Logs as well: http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/1017572-malware-problem.html#post8077128

Try Process Monitor

Read Mark Russinovich's blog, he is a genius about debugging problems like that ->

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2011/08/02/3442328.aspx

ZeroRay

NeoGaf is now crashing Firefox for some reason. Don't know on who else is having this problem but fuck it, I'm switching to Chrome.

Sarcasm

ZeroRay said:
NeoGaf is now crashing Firefox for some reason. Don't know on who else is having this problem but fuck it, I'm switching to Chrome.

Try deleting the profile. Though you do lose stuff. (Firefox)

CryptiK

ZeroRay said:
yes thats right it always slows when I am on GAF and loads incredibly slow sometimes the GIFS and Avatars dont load.

I was able to play GIFs fine, but the IT dept at my work has upgraded us so we now have Office 2007 yippee and now I cannot play GIFs.

I have gone to Tools->Internet Options but there is no advanced tab (some settings are managed by your system administrator).

Is there any way around this?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my samsung 50" plasma has gotten progressively worse over the past two months and now looks like this:

B0m9I.jpg

is it worth paying 80 to have it picked up and evaluated for repair? or should i just get a new one?

Siegfried

I wanna use my iphone as a hotspot to connect to the internet on my work, but when I connect it to the PC it does not setup the connection. I've been using it via Wi-Fi, but signal keeps getting lost and all kings of things happen.

Question is, does anyone know how to manually setup a connection on Windows XP for the Iphone using the USB cable?

Darklord

Banned
My drivers keep crashing. I also keep getting green and other coloured artifacting on video and pictures. Should I just reinstall my drivers or might it be something else?

Ashhong

Hey guys, is it possible to monitor what somebody on your network is doing? Like to see exactly what website they are on and stuff like that?

Enosh

fucking great

my PC is hanging up on the "verifying dmi pool data" part, I tried fiddling in bios nothing changes, is there suposed to be a drive listed under the IDE master, slaves etc section beacose it just says "none" on all of them, when I go under some bood priority section it finds my card slot and my portable drive, no HD

if I disconect my portable HD it says "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter ", why does it think my portable HD is the system one? o_O it has nothing to do with windows...

is my HD simply dead?
I googled a bit and one of the solutions is to use a boot disc, or usb drive in this case I assume, but I have no idea how to make this one and when I look it up it says I should do it inside windows (I use windows 7), but I can't do that since my PC doesn't start -.-

don't have the CD to use...

gblues

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Also, does anyone have an answer to this? I think it might be something I tinkered with in my BIOS, but I'm not sure what. Thanks!
This is actually pretty normal. If the CPU is overheated, the fan will stay on until the temperature gets to a safe temp. If it just started doing this, you should get some compressed air and blow out your cpu fan and heatsink.

ACE 1991

gblues said:
This is actually pretty normal. If the CPU is overheated, the fan will stay on until the temperature gets to a safe temp. If it just started doing this, you should get some compressed air and blow out your cpu fan and heatsink.
I've only had the PC for about 2 weeks, and my CPU never heats up above 60C when under full load overclocked to 4.0ghz. I think it may have something to with "smart CPU fan" in the bios. Also, can anyone tell me if my GPU temps are safe? (XFX 6950 1gb, 80-83C when playing graphics intensive games like the witcher 2)

Chairhome

Enosh said:
fucking great

my PC is hanging up on the "verifying dmi pool data" part, I tried fiddling in bios nothing changes, is there suposed to be a drive listed under the IDE master, slaves etc section beacose it just says "none" on all of them, when I go under some bood priority section it finds my card slot and my portable drive, no HD

if I disconect my portable HD it says "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter ", why does it think my portable HD is the system one? o_O it has nothing to do with windows...

is my HD simply dead?
I googled a bit and one of the solutions is to use a boot disc, or usb drive in this case I assume, but I have no idea how to make this one and when I look it up it says I should do it inside windows (I use windows 7), but I can't do that since my PC doesn't start -.-

don't have the CD to use...
you try fixmbr (google it) or see if there's a "reset to fail-safe defaults" mode on your BIOS. I had that problem a few days ago, reset to defaults worked. it could be a couple of different issues, though.

gblues

Banned
Darklord said:
My drivers keep crashing. I also keep getting green and other coloured artifacting on video and pictures. Should I just reinstall my drivers or might it be something else?
Your GPU is either overheating or malfunctioning. What temp is your GPU running at? Also check your power supply ratings against the requirements provided by the manufacturer. Even if the wattage is enough, it might not provide enough amperage on the 12v rail(s).

Enosh

Chairhome said:
you try fixmbr (google it)
yeah that requires me to have a boot Cd or usb or something, which i don't

Chairhome said:
or see if there's a "reset to fail-safe defaults" mode on your BIOS. I had that problem a few
days ago, reset to defaults worked. it could be a couple of different issues, though.
tried that, didn't help

Mr_PinkFloyd

Neo Member
Well i have a problem now, i cant use any antivirus, all of them stop after a reestart
Warning: Bad English :p

I usually dont format any PC, i try to fix the problem, virus, malweare, registry problem, etc

But this antivirus bug its driving me crazy, i cant find the problem!!!

My antivirus, for like 2 years, its Avast, i never have a problem before, i use zonealarm firewall too and malwabytes

But 4 days ago, i installed something called "Soluto", the idea behind this program its to fast up the startup of any PC

I try it, didnt like at all and in the end uninstalled it....

And then, the next day, when i turned on my netbook again, my Avast antivirus was in stop mode, i uninstalled it, then try it to install it again, and it did install, everything was fine again,,,,,,until i reestarted

At that point i started to freak out, the PC takes forever to start when an antivirus its activated, and when it finally starts, the antivirus its disabled, i try it with Avast, Avira, Panda and Microsoft Essentials, same situation, after a reestart, the antivirus dont work anymore

I run a boot scan with Avast, no virus detected, i check it out with malwabytes, nothing, Spybot S&D, same, NOTHING

Try it combofix too, it did found something, a .DLL and deleted, but i still cant install any antivirus

When i turn on the PC with out an antivirus, it does start up fast, and everything run smooth

Im about to format it but i really want to know what the hell happened lol

Thanks in advance

This is my combofix log:

ComboFix 11-09-13.04 - Judith 14/09/2011 8:58.3.2 - x86 MINIMAL
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1.2600.3.1252.52.3082.18.1015.604 [GMT -6:00]
Running from: c:\documents and settings\Judith\Mis documentos\Downloads\ComboFix.exe
AV: avast! Antivirus *Disabled/Updated* {7591DB91-41F0-48A3-B128-1A293FD8233D}
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Other Deletions )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
c:\documents and settings\Judith\Datos de programa\dach100.dll
((((((((((((((((((((((((( Files Created from 2011-08-14 to 2011-09-14 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:37 320856 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:36 20568 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:36 34392 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswRdr.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:36 52568 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswTdi.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:38 442200 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSnx.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:36 110552 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswmon2.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:36 104536 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswmon.sys
2011-09-14 04:48 . 2011-09-06 20:33 30808 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\aavmker4.sys
2011-09-14 04:46 . 2011-09-14 04:48 -------- d-----w- C:\da410109b127292bcf1b8f
2011-09-14 04:45 . 2011-09-06 20:45 199304 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\aswBoot.exe
2011-09-14 03:09 . 2011-09-14 03:09 24756 ----a-w- C:\FixitRegBackup.reg
2011-09-14 00:04 . 2011-09-14 00:04 -------- d-----r- c:\documents and settings\LocalService\Favoritos
2011-09-13 23:56 . 2011-09-13 23:56 -------- d-----w- c:\windows\system32\NtmsData
2011-09-13 23:40 . 2011-09-13 23:40 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\Avira
2011-09-13 18:35 . 2011-09-14 04:45 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\AVAST Software
2011-09-13 18:15 . 2011-09-13 18:27 -------- d-----w- C:\WINSSLog
2011-09-13 18:14 . 2011-09-13 18:14 -------- d-----w- C:\55589cd63ff97b0a4d0f017bb824
2011-09-13 16:51 . 2011-09-13 16:51 -------- d-sh--w- c:\documents and settings\LocalService\IETldCache
2011-09-13 16:46 . 2011-09-06 20:45 41184 ----a-w- c:\windows\avastSS.scr
2011-09-13 03:08 . 2011-09-13 16:39 -------- dc----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Datos de programa\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2011-09-13 03:08 . 2011-09-13 04:31 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\Spybot - Search & Destroy
2011-09-12 22:11 . 2008-09-24 18:41 839680 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\lameACM.acm
2011-09-12 22:11 . 2011-07-16 14:17 151552 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\ac3acm.acm
2011-09-12 22:11 . 2011-06-24 14:44 243200 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\xvidvfw.dll
2011-09-12 22:11 . 2011-06-24 14:28 650752 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\xvidcore.dll
2011-09-12 22:11 . 2011-08-29 08:00 74752 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\ff_vfw.dll
2011-09-12 22:11 . 2011-09-12 22:11 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\K-Lite Codec Pack
2011-09-11 14:53 . 2011-09-14 03:09 -------- d-----w- c:\windows\LastGood
2011-09-11 14:53 . 2011-09-11 16:18 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\Microsoft Security Client
2011-09-11 03:50 . 2011-09-11 03:49 128000 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\javacpl.cpl
2011-09-07 17:46 . 2011-09-07 17:48 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\Dachshund Software
2011-09-07 16:02 . 2011-09-07 16:05 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\Google
2011-09-07 05:05 . 2011-03-02 10:43 175616 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\unrar.dll
2011-09-07 05:03 . 2011-09-07 05:03 -------- d-----w- c:\archivos de programa\Combined Community Codec Pack
2011-09-06 20:58 . 2011-09-07 03:31 -------- dc----w- c:\documents and settings\Administrador
2011-09-03 17:11 . 2011-09-13 16:46 -------- dc----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Datos de programa\AVAST Software
2011-09-03 15:20 . 2011-09-01 01:45 51144 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\Soluto.sys
2011-09-03 15:19 . 2011-09-03 16:37 -------- dc----w- c:\documents and settings\All Users\Datos de programa\Soluto
2011-08-16 19:28 . 2008-11-13 14:20 605696 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\crypt32.dll
2011-08-16 19:28 . 2008-11-13 14:20 605696 ------w- c:\windows\system32\dllcache\crypt32.dll
2011-08-16 19:24 . 2009-09-04 23:29 453456 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\d3dx10_42.dll
2011-08-16 19:24 . 2009-09-04 23:29 1892184 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\D3DX9_42.dll
2011-08-16 19:24 . 2007-04-05 00:53 81768 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\xinput1_3.dll
2011-08-16 19:24 . 2011-08-23 00:19 -------- d-----w- c:\windows\Logs
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Find3M Report ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
2011-09-11 03:49 . 2010-12-01 15:27 544656 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\deployJava1.dll
2011-08-18 14:45 . 2011-05-24 20:18 404640 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl
2011-07-20 05:38 . 2011-07-20 05:38 311296 ------w- c:\windows\Setup1.exe
2011-07-20 05:38 . 2011-07-20 05:38 74240 ----a-w- c:\windows\ST6UNST.EXE
2011-07-15 13:29 . 2011-08-11 04:40 456320 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mrxsmb.sys
2011-07-08 14:02 . 2011-08-11 04:37 10496 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\ndistapi.sys
2011-07-07 01:52 . 2011-07-26 23:54 41272 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys
2011-07-07 01:52 . 2011-06-22 22:32 22712 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\mbam.sys
2011-06-24 14:10 . 2011-08-11 04:40 139656 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\drivers\rdpwd.sys
2011-06-23 18:30 . 2011-08-11 04:40 43520 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\licmgr10.dll
2011-06-23 18:30 . 2011-08-11 04:40 916480 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll
2011-06-23 18:30 . 2011-08-11 04:40 1469440 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\inetcpl.cpl
2011-06-23 12:05 . 2011-08-11 04:40 385024 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\html.iec
2011-06-20 17:44 . 2011-06-20 17:44 293888 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\winsrv.dll
2011-04-14 16:43 . 2011-05-24 20:16 142296 -c--a-w- c:\archivos de programa\mozilla firefox\components\browsercomps.dll
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( SnapShot@2011-09-14_02.24.59 )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
+ 2009-04-15 17:22 . 2011-09-14 14:59 86864 c:\windows\system32\perfc00A.dat
+ 2009-04-15 17:22 . 2011-09-14 14:59 68584 c:\windows\system32\perfc009.dat
+ 2009-04-15 17:22 . 2011-09-14 14:59 498482 c:\windows\system32\perfh00A.dat
+ 2009-04-15 17:22 . 2011-09-14 14:59 435688 c:\windows\system32\perfh009.dat
+ 2011-04-18 19:18 . 2011-04-18 19:18 165648 c:\windows\system32\drivers\MpFilter.sys
- 2011-09-13 18:33 . 2011-04-18 19:18 165648 c:\windows\system32\drivers\MpFilter.sys
+ 2011-09-14 03:09 . 2011-04-18 19:18 165648 c:\windows\LastGood\system32\DRIVERS\MpFilter.sys
+ 2008-04-23 09:54 . 2008-04-23 09:54 63086592 c:\windows\Installer\3c146e.msp
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( Reg Loading Points ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
*Note* empty entries & legit default entries are not shown
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\00avast]
@="{472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{472083B0-C522-11CF-8763-00608CC02F24}]
2011-09-06 20:45 122512 ----a-w- c:\archivos de programa\AVAST Software\Avast\ashShell.dll
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\DropboxExt1]
@="{FB314ED9-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB314ED9-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}]
2011-02-18 05:12 94208 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\Judith\Datos de programa\Dropbox\bin\DropboxExt.14.dll
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\DropboxExt2]
@="{FB314EDA-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB314EDA-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}]
2011-02-18 05:12 94208 ----a-w- c:\documents and settings\Judith\Datos de programa\Dropbox\bin\DropboxExt.14.dll
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\DropboxExt3]
@="{FB314EDB-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB314EDB-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\DropboxExt4]
@="{FB314EDC-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{FB314EDC-A251-47B7-93E1-CDD82E34AF8B}]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"msnmsgr"="c:\archivos de programa\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" [2010-04-17 3872080]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"WirelessAssistant"="c:\archivos de programa\Hewlett-Packard\HP Wireless Assistant\HPWAMain.exe" [2009-09-01 499768]
"UnlockerAssistant"="c:\archivos de programa\Unlocker\UnlockerAssistant.exe" [2010-07-04 17408]
"avast"="c:\archivos de programa\AVAST Software\Avast\avastUI.exe" [2011-09-06 3722416]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"CTFMON.EXE"="c:\windows\system32\CTFMON.EXE" [2008-04-15 15360]
c:\documents and settings\Judith\Men£ Inicio\Programas\Inicio\
AntiCrash.lnk - c:\archivos de programa\Dachshund Software\AntiCrash\AntiCrash.exe [2002-12-17 2301798]
Hare.lnk - c:\archivos de programa\Dachshund Software\Hare\Hare.exe [2002-9-21 1874381]
Zoom.lnk - c:\archivos de programa\Dachshund Software\Zoom\Zoom.exe [2002-9-21 1446302]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\Wdf01000.sys]
@="Driver"
[HKLM\~\startupfolder\C:^Documents and Settings^All Users^Menú Inicio^Programas^Inicio^Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk]
path=c:\documents and settings\All Users\Menú Inicio\Programas\Inicio\Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnk
backup=c:\windows\pss\Adobe Acrobat Speed Launcher.lnkCommon Startup
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\KernelFaultCheck]
c:\windows\system32\dumprep 0 -k [X]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Acrobat Assistant 7.0]
2004-12-14 08:12 483328 ----a-w- c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\acrotray.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Adobe ARM]
2011-06-06 18:55 937920 -c--a-w- c:\archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\AESTFltr]
2009-07-06 19:06 737280 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\AESTFltr.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\CTFMON.EXE]
2008-04-15 12:00 15360 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\ctfmon.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Google Update]
2010-02-28 02:18 135664 -c--atw- c:\documents and settings\Judith\Configuración local\Datos de programa\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\HotKeysCmds]
2008-02-15 21:46 159744 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\IgfxTray]
2008-02-15 21:46 135168 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ISUSPM Startup]
2005-02-16 23:15 221184 -c--a-w- c:\archiv~1\ARCHIV~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\ISUSScheduler]
2008-10-24 15:14 79136 -c--a-w- c:\archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\Persistence]
2008-02-15 21:46 131072 ----a-w- c:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SunJavaUpdateSched]
2010-10-29 21:49 249064 -c--a-w- c:\archivos de programa\Archivos comunes\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SynTPEnh]
2009-06-12 23:23 1533224 -c--a-w- c:\archivos de programa\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\shared tools\msconfig\startupreg\SysTrayApp]
2009-06-29 18:44 458844 ------w- c:\archivos de programa\IDT\WDM\sttray.exe
[HKLM\~\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\AuthorizedApplications\List]
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"=
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\ONENOTE.EXE"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Microsoft Office\\Office12\\OUTLOOK.EXE"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Bonjour\\mDNSResponder.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Axtel\\AxtelSoftphone\\softphone.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\javaw.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Java\\jre6\\bin\\java.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Windows Live\\Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\uTorrent\\uTorrent.exe"=
"c:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dplaysvr.exe"=
"c:\\Documents and Settings\\Judith\\Datos de programa\\Dropbox\\bin\\Dropbox.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Google\\Google Earth\\client\\googleearth.exe"=
"c:\\Archivos de programa\\Java\\jre7\\bin\\javaw.exe"=
R0 SysCow;SysCow;c:\windows\system32\drivers\syscow32x.sys [01/07/2009 11:10 p.m. 103792]
S0 Soluto;Soluto;c:\windows\system32\drivers\Soluto.sys [03/09/2011 09:20 a.m. 51144]
S1 aswSnx;aswSnx;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSnx.sys [13/09/2011 10:48 p.m. 442200]
S1 aswSP;aswSP;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswSP.sys [13/09/2011 10:48 p.m. 320856]
S2 aswFsBlk;aswFsBlk;c:\windows\system32\drivers\aswFsBlk.sys [13/09/2011 10:48 p.m. 20568]
S2 BOTService;BOTService;c:\archivos de programa\Roxio\BackOnTrack\Instant Restore\BOTService.exe [09/07/2009 04:08 a.m. 199152]
S2 gupdate;Google Update Servicio (gupdate);c:\archivos de programa\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [07/09/2011 10:02 a.m. 136176]
S2 IsaMonitor;ISA Monitor Service;c:\archivos de programa\Asistente Infinitum\IsaMonitor.exe --> c:\archivos de programa\Asistente Infinitum\IsaMonitor.exe [?]
S3 AESTAud;AE Audio Service;c:\windows\system32\drivers\AESTAud.sys [11/08/2011 11:40 a.m. 113664]
S3 gupdatem;Google Update Servicio (gupdatem);c:\archivos de programa\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [07/09/2011 10:02 a.m. 136176]
S3 L1c;NDIS Miniport Driver for Atheros AR813x/AR815x PCI-E Ethernet Controller;c:\windows\system32\drivers\l1c51x86.sys [04/09/2009 03:46 p.m. 45056]
S3 RSUSBSTOR;RtsUStor.Sys Realtek USB Card Reader;c:\windows\system32\drivers\RtsUStor.sys [20/11/2009 11:20 a.m. 174592]
Contents of the 'Scheduled Tasks' folder
2011-09-14 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore.job
- c:\archivos de programa\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2011-09-07 16:02]
2011-09-14 c:\windows\Tasks\GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA.job
- c:\archivos de programa\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe [2011-09-07 16:02]
------- Supplementary Scan -------
uStart Page = hxxp://www.google.com/
IE: Convert link target to Adobe PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
IE: Convert link target to existing PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
IE: Convert selected links to Adobe PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
IE: Convert selected links to existing PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
IE: Convert selection to Adobe PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
IE: Convert selection to existing PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
IE: Convert to Adobe PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
IE: Convert to existing PDF - c:\archivos de programa\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
IE: E&xportar a Microsoft Excel - c:\archiv~1\MICROS~4\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
TCP: DhcpNameServer = 192.168.1.254
FF - ProfilePath - c:\documents and settings\Judith\Datos de programa\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tbz95bpv.default\
catchme 0.3.1398 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2011-09-14 09:11
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS
scanning hidden processes ...
scanning hidden autostart entries ...
scanning hidden files ...
scan completed successfully
hidden files: 0
Completion time: 2011-09-14 09:16:39
ComboFix-quarantined-files.txt 2011-09-14 15:16
ComboFix2.txt 2011-09-14 05:30
ComboFix3.txt 2011-09-14 02:32
Pre-Run: 29,519,183,872 bytes libres
Post-Run: 29,500,219,392 bytes libres
- - End Of File - - 1B48D0A33DF103C508D1B503ED00CF37

For about 3 days, my laptop has been freezing and requires a hard reboot. Whenever I open programs like Firefox or Steam after booting or waking from hibernation, programs, icons, and the taskbar are unresponsive while I can move my cursor. The keyboard doesn't work either so I can't open Task Manager or the CAD screen. One major factor is that I slammed the laptop while playing a game. It was on a soft surface, an ottoman, and the face plate above the keyboard popped out so I popped it back in. I can't remember if the freezing started after I damaged it, before, or in between. Is the hard drive partially damaged or is there another piece of hardware causing the problem?

Please don't use the opportunity to criticize my temper. I've been calm playing games for several months and just recently have I been slamming my mouse when angry. Help me fix my laptop; it's a Dell XPS 1530.

Fatalah

So is there an antivirus program that can protect a thumbdrive in real-time?

Example: When you plug into a PC with tons of viruses, they latch right onto any memory device!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ChoklitReign said:
For about 3 days, my laptop has been freezing and requires a hard reboot. Whenever I open programs like Firefox or Steam after booting or waking from hibernation, programs, icons, and the taskbar are unresponsive while I can move my cursor. The keyboard doesn't work either so I can't open Task Manager or the CAD screen. One major factor is that I slammed the laptop while playing a game. It was on a soft surface, an ottoman, and the face plate above the keyboard popped out so I popped it back in. I can't remember if the freezing started after I damaged it, before, or in between. Is the hard drive partially damaged or is there another piece of hardware causing the problem?

Please don't use the opportunity to criticize my temper. I've been calm playing games for several months and just recently have I been slamming my mouse when angry. Help me fix my laptop; it's a Dell XPS 1530.
If there's any chance that you damaged the internal components of the device, it's going to be very tough to troubleshoot. How old is the laptop? Any chance it's still under warranty?

In any event the hard drive is most likely fine.

Hawkian said:
If there's any chance that you damaged the internal components of the device, it's going to be very tough to troubleshoot. How old is the laptop? Any chance it's still under warranty?

In any event the hard drive is most likely fine.
3 years old and the warranty recently ended. It's been broken more seriously before so there must be something loose inside.

I have lenovo t500. It came with vista i installed win 7 some time ago everything works fine except one problem i noticed recently.

When ever I connect laptop to my tv and do fn + f7 it works fine tv shows image and everything. Now when i disconnect the keyboard does not work properly. pressing b open window and some other wired things start happening. I have to log out everytime after watching something on tv through laptop to reset keyboard. Is there any solution?

clav

ChoklitReign said:

I would say your hard drive may have been physically damaged.

Hard to say though as I can only rely on your description.

You're have to swap parts to confirm that's the culprit.

crazy monkey said:
I have lenovo t500. It came with vista i installed win 7 some time ago everything works fine except one problem i noticed recently.

When ever I connect laptop to my tv and do fn + f7 it works fine tv shows image and everything. Now when i disconnect the keyboard does not work properly. pressing b open window and some other wired things start happening. I have to log out everytime after watching something on tv through laptop to reset keyboard. Is there any solution?

Have you updated anything on that laptop?

What is the setup (OS, ThinkAdvantage bloatware, clean install)?

Side tip: You can hit Windows Key P and select duplicate to do the same feature and back instead of using awkward FN keys.

Eteric Rice

Okay, so I was putting in a new hard drive for someone on their lap top.

Screw fell into the casing.

Is there anything I should know before removing the bottom part of a laptop case to get it out? I've never done this on a laptop before and want to make sure I don't fuck it up.

FerranMG

Eteric Rice said:

Is there anything I should know before removing the bottom part of a laptop case to get it out? I've never done this on a laptop before and want to make sure I don't fuck it up.

I had to open my laptop for the first time about three months ago.
It was not as easy as I expected, it involved a bit more work than just unscrewing the bottom.
I had to open it from the keyboard part, removing it, and so.

I recommend you look for some kind of disassembly tutorial (in Google, for example).
That really helped me.

TGMIII

Eteric Rice said:

Eteric Rice
I think I'm retarded
(Today, 08:01 AM)

Depending on the laptop you could be looking at A LOT of work to get it open. I've worked with some that are as easy as taking the top casing off and removing the keyboard, others have required me to remove the screen before even letting me get to the top casing.

Look around online and see if you can find diagrams of the laptop or even a video of it being taken apart. As you go I find it best to sometimes take pictures incase I forget where something goes or where a screw goes or I'll take a page and lay the screws out in order of me taking them out, otherwise I put the thing back together and end up holding 2/3 screws.

claviertekky said:
Have you updated anything on that laptop?

What is the setup (OS, ThinkAdvantage bloatware, clean install)?

Side tip: You can hit Windows Key P and select duplicate to do the same feature and back instead of using awkward FN keys

Thank you so much for reply. I have windows 7 ultimate. I do not have thinkadvantage bloatware as i clean installed everything. It happens only when i connet to tv.

Update: Safe mode seems to be stable, so Explorer probably isn't the problem. But now I have a suspicion it's Nvidia's fault. Malwarebytes froze every time it scanned a particular file in a defunct folder (for 175.xx; I was using 160.xx for performance purposes). I used Driver Sweeper to erase everything related to Nvidia, including some files in system32. I've tried installing drivers 175.33 and 176.00 and both have failed. I don't have any system restore points. What the fuck now?

Update 2: Ran Recuva to do a deep scan of system32 to recover the files, BSOD'd. God damn, have I fucked up.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I installed a second disc drive into my Computer today, I started up the computer and heard sparks... then smelled the wonderful burning electronics smell.

The PSU apparently fried the DVD and Blu-Ray Drive Motors. They were both on the same channel on the PSU. The only other things plugged in to that channel were 2 case fans.

Should I replace the PSU to be on the safe side? I don't currently have a cheap power supply, so this was a bit of a surprise...

I had them both plugged in to a single one of these:

zGvD7.jpg

Could that cord being bad produce similar results?

Jzero

Suikoguy said:
I installed a second disc drive into my Computer today, I started up the computer and heard sparks... then smelled the wonderful burning electronics smell.

The PSU apparently fried the DVD and Blu-Ray Drive Motors. They were both on the same channel on the PSU. The only other things plugged in to that channel were 2 case fans.

Should I replace the PSU to be on the safe side? I don't currently have a cheap power supply, so this was a bit of a surprise...

I had them both plugged in to a single one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/zGvD7.jpg[/i]

Could that cord being bad produce similar results?[/quote]
You probably plugged in the molex connector upside down, many people have this problem.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Jzero15 said:
You probably plugged in the molex connector upside down, many people have this problem.

hmm, I did not force it in. This is the 4th computer i've built, so i'm not new at this. However, anything is possible :)
I'll take a closer look and see if it was possible. I'd rather not replace my PSU if it was something stupid like that.

My computer's on death row. I've backed up the last meaningful files and I'm considering replacing the hard drive. I could install Linux or I could buy a Windows 7 student ticket. Can I install Windows at least 2 times?

So my HDD in my old computer but the dust last week. I ordered a new one put in the hdd installed windows XP, and that went fine. Rebooted after a windows update, and now its in an infinite restart cycle. Will get to the windows loading screen, then reboot itself. I can get the thing to run in safemode and did a HDD diag on it and it appears fine. Im all out of ideas now.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Fixed it, I think, went in and did a manual install of SP2 in safemode and now it appears to be booting fine. Weird problem.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
ZeroRay said:

:( sadly enough chrome has been crashing on my system as of late, get that stupid "aw snap" screen atleast i can reload.

Jzero

ChoklitReign said:
My computer's on death row. I've backed up the last meaningful files and I'm considering replacing the hard drive. I could install Linux or I could buy a Windows 7 student ticket. Can I install Windows at least 2 times?
You could install windows as many times as you want but you need a key on each computer to continue using windows normally

ok so i'm tuning up my dad's laptop and i have a spare stick of RAM laying around..

it has two sticks of ram in it right now, both are 256MB labelled DDR-333MHz.. PC2700U

the stick i have no use for is 512MB labelled PC2-5300S-555

it's gonna explode if i try and put it in there, right?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Coworker just asked me if their is anything she can do for a usb thumb drive that no longer shows any files, or shows up at all when plugged. Says the computer was accidentally turned off, I amuse while saving something.
Haven't had to deal with this myself and I could just send a Google search for one of the many usb drive recover apps, but if someone has a better plan, point me in the right direction or a recommended application that would be great.

Ken

Recently my laptop has been getting very hot when trying to play most games. The strange thing is I could play all these games a few months ago just fine and at higher graphic settings, but now it shuts down after a few minutes of play on the lowest settings.

8092a514.png

That's the HW monitor readings with windowed LotRO running at very low settings. Shortly after my laptop shut down by itself. Any ideas or solutions?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
blame space said:
ok so i'm tuning up my dad's laptop and i have a spare stick of RAM laying around..

it has two sticks of ram in it right now, both are 256MB labelled DDR-333MHz.. PC2700U

the stick i have no use for is 512MB labelled PC2-5300S-555

it's gonna explode if i try and put it in there, right?
Well, yeah, if you can squeeze it in there that probably means damaging the motherboard, so explosion could happen.

Ken said:
Recently my laptop has been getting very hot when trying to play most games. The strange thing is I could play all these games a few months ago just fine and at higher graphic settings, but now it shuts down after a few minutes of play on the lowest settings.

That's the HW monitor readings with windowed LotRO running at very low settings. Shortly after my laptop shut down by itself. Any ideas or solutions?
At the very least those the GPU temps are NOT safe. Is it possible a fan in your case died? Can you open it up, turn it on and see if everything is spinning?
edit: sorry, laptop :( missed that. I would take it in to have the fans checked at a local laptop repair place if you know of a good one..

Ken

Hawkian said:
edit: sorry, laptop :( missed that. I would take it in to have the fans checked at a local laptop repair place if you know of a good one..

Thanks. Will do when I have time this week. If it is a broken fan, any idea how much a replacement fan costs? Shouldn't be too much, right?

McNei1y

My computer restarted by itself yesterday. When it loaded back on, it attempted to load into Windows but a few seconds later it went straight to System Recovery options. The system recovery cannot fix this problem automatically. I've attempted this about 33 times. System Restore won't work and I do not have a System Image to restore my computer back to.

Does this mean I need to reinstall windows? If so, I do not have the disk. Is that the only way to fix this?

I've been spending the last god-knows how long backing up my DVD collection to MP4s and have them all filed nicely on a 1.5TB HDD in my PC, which is in the basement. I stream everything to my PS3 or 360.

Recently, I'd get halfway through an episode of something and all of a sudden it'd freeze. If (for example) I quit out to the 360 dash all the thumbnails turn into generic icons and I get complaints that the 360 is no longer connected to the PC.

At this point I go to the basement and everything seems fine until I start browsing to the video files. I'd open "My Computer" and it takes ages to populate the drive list (green progress bar at the top of the window moves REAL slow).

Same happens when I actually eventually navigate to a file. Thumbnails take forever to generate. If I try and open a file then WMP opens but doesn't seem to do anything. Trying to close doesn't help either.

After maybe 10mins the PC spontaneously springs back to life. Everything runs instantly again, and I'll find the video now happily playing as if nothing happened.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on? Is it possible my HDD's on it's last legs?

Top Bottom