• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

AndyD

aka andydumi
Did you mess with any power settings? Some laptops have power management settings where they limit the speed of the wireless to save power.

kharma45

I've got it plugged into the mains and running in 'High Performance' setting under power plan, still getting slow speeds.

Firefox is annoying me too, my Greasemonkey scripts keep disappearing too.

LakeEarth

What's the best way to fix my router settings so that my xbox NAT would be open? I just used the setup disk that came with the router.

Cisco Linksys E1000 if that helps.

LakeEarth said:
What's the best way to fix my router settings so that my xbox NAT would be open? I just used the setup disk that came with the router.

Cisco Linksys E1000 if that helps.
Only thing I can suggest is port forwarding for your xbox. check portforward.com and look for your model.

Huh, today the mouse pad seems to be working properly. In any case, I'm still gonna buy a USB mouse. Also, all the thanks in the world goes to claviertekky,Jzero15, and McSmiggins. I owe you guys.

So uhh my laptop fell off a table the other day
No visible damage on it
But now it seems to take longer to boot up and the system hangs when opening certain programs =/

How can I tell if anything was damaged bad and what might be causing it to take longer booting up

Ugh

Jzero

BigJonsson said:
So uhh my laptop fell off a table the other day
No visible damage on it
But now it seems to take longer to boot up and the system hangs when opening certain programs =/

How can I tell if anything was damaged bad and what might be causing it to take longer booting up

Ugh
Your hard drive could of got fucked or some ram that popped out. It definitely has to do with hardware though, better open her up and take a look. Check if the fan is spinning.

I just cracked her open and took a look

Took the RAM out, popped it back in securely
Slid the HDD out, popped it back in
Rebooted
Booted faster this time, but we shall see

I'm going to back up my important files tomorrow just in case I need to do a system restore or something

Yea, its still hanging every so often, ugh

MNC

Hey GAF.

Using IE9, Windows 7. Everytime someone sends me an URL of a PNG file, the file gets redirected to the IE9 download manager and I have to open it from there, instead of showing directly in the browser. What gives?

Any other suggestions for me?

A new hard drive is around 80 bucks but I'd want to be sure thats the actual problem here

I doubt the Lenovo warranty would cover this since they might be able to tell that the laptop did take a tumble =/

Edit - it seems to hang/freeze when it tries to use the cache, I keep getting waiting for cache and similar messages

Ok GAF, I got a new Lenovo E420 laptop a few months ago for school. A week or two ago I began noticing this pulsating high-pitched whining coming from the machine. The sound appears to be coming from the fan, but it is difficult to accurately tell the exact location.

It's really annoying. Can anyone advise? I have a two year warranty on the bugger.

Jzero

BigJonsson said:
Edit - it seems to hang/freeze when it tries to use the cache, I keep getting waiting for cache and similar messages
waiting for cache while using the browser or just on windows?
if it's for your browser just clear your cache.

Stormtrooper30 said:
Ok GAF, I got a new Lenovo E420 laptop a few months ago for school. A week or two ago I began noticing this pulsating high-pitched whining coming from the machine. The sound appears to be coming from the fan, but it is difficult to accurately tell the exact location.

It's really annoying. Can anyone advise? I have a two year warranty on the bugger.
check if the fan is covered in dust. The other place where it could be coming from is the hard drive but it's not that likely. You probably just have to clean the fan.

Its odd, after rebooting a few times it works more or less fine.........but after a while of firefox it starts getting iffy until i just close and restart the browser

If it was the ram or processor i'd be getting error messages right?

Whogie

BigJonsson said:
Its odd, after rebooting a few times it works more or less fine.........but after a while of firefox it starts getting iffy until i just close and restart the browser

If it was the ram or processor i'd be getting error messages right?
Sounds like the hard drive to me too. Slow performance, hangs/freezes, caused by a shock... I have little doubt.

And its damn strange that since my last reboot this afternoon it has ran perfectly
Last night extracting a .rar took way way way longer than it should have, tonight a larger .rar extracted in seconds

Guess I'll have to monitor this day to day

Everything still working fine

I wonder what the hell was making it run so slow before

Did chkdsk actually fix something for a change? :p

clav

BigJonsson said:
Everything still working fine

I wonder what the hell was making it run so slow before

Did chkdsk actually fix something for a change? :p
Probably the drive marked bad sectors, so the drive doesn't use them again.

You should also run SpeedFan and HD Tune to check out your HD values.

SpeedFan will analyze the SMART data and see if your drive checks out OK.

HD Tune will highlight values if it sees anything wrong.

Okay, have a really weird problem here. Virus? Malware? Maybe. I think it's Chrome related.

So every now and then when using Chrome, I'll have around 6 tabs or so, a few of them Youtube (not running videos simultaneously, mind you, just different links I would click on) and after a while I'll get this:

4a2D0.png

And then Flash usually crashes in Chrome.

So far, scans have turned nothing up. I just updated Malwarebytes and am trying a new scan now.

And now just today, I right click the Explorer icon in the Taskbar (Windows 7) too access my pinned folders and I see it full of these folders.

SvrSs.png

It's like they were accessed and promptly deleted.

Chrome also takes an unusually long time to start up. I started the Task Manager, and saw for the ONE page/tab that was trying to open, I had somewhere between 6-8 instances of Chrome.exe running.

Help me TechSupportGAF, you're my only hope!

Barrett2

Hello. I am selling my old laptop to my work for them to use it as a workstation computer for a new hire. What do I need to do to re-format / wipe the system to get all my personal info off the system? It is a netbook so I don't have an OS disk.

Jzero

lawblob said:
Hello. I am selling my old laptop to my work for them to use it as a workstation computer for a new hire. What do I need to do to re-format / wipe the system to get all my personal info off the system? It is a netbook so I don't have an OS disk.
I would recommend to just make him buy a new hard drive but if you still want to use it you have to Zero-Fill the hard drive so all your information get's overwritten with 0's

I recommend using Dban or KillDisk

Choppasmith said:
It might an hard drive issue. Try running Windows recovery Console and use chkdsk /p

Another suggestion, is to run Combo Fix for any virus or malware.

lawblob said:
What OS is it running? From reading on GAF, I swear someone said you could dowload the ISO from digital river or someplace similar. You should already have a product key that came with the netbook. When you got the ISO, you would need to make a USB bootable, so you can reinstall OS from USB.

Edit: If Windows 7, you are in luck.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30724377&postcount=2187

If you are really, really want to get rid of any personal information that may be on the drive, you would have to do the above and get a program to do that kind of formatting for you.

Reseil

lawblob said:

Current standard is a DoD 3 Pass Wipe. There should be freeware out there.

DBAN also works.

Ok so I reset my laptop to factory settings and have now moved most of my backed up files over and everything is running fine

If there are bad sectors on my HD should I try not to fill it up to its full capacity or what?

clav

BigJonsson said:
Ok so I reset my laptop to factory settings and have now moved most of my backed up files over and everything is running fine

If there are bad sectors on my HD should I try not to fill it up to its full capacity or what?
Bad sectors are not for you to worry about. That's all handled by the hard drive controller.

An ideal good hard drive will do this without slowing down performance. It's just a matter of when the hard drive chooses to ax certain sectors.

Choppasmith said:

Chrome can take a long time to load up if you haven't cleared its cache and history lately as those files can go up to GBs. One time, I didn't clear my cache for an year, and Chrome collected about 5GB of data. I cleared it which fixed my boot problem.

You can remove that using ccleaner or in using the Chrome wrench -> settings. Be sure to select "From the beginning."

Also, it's normal for Chrome to run in many processes as that's what makes it stable. IE9 does this as well. Many Firefox critics say Firefox should move to this type of system management.

------

Check your RAM. Windows Vista/7 includes a built-in memory diagnostic tool.

Click the start/windows button and type: Windows Memory Diagnostic. Let it reboot and run the test.

The test will post results in the testing screen and also when Windows successfully boots back up.

------

Do you use any extensions with your Chrome?

------

Can you explain your folder problem? I'm not quite understanding what's happening.

Messi

when typing a message on my laptop on neogaf (and any website/document) when I hit caps lock, it unclicks from the writing area meaning I have to re click on the area to start typing again. the same happens when I want to turn off caps lock.

any way to change this? it is incredibly annoying.

claviertekky said:
Bad sectors are not for you to worry about. That's all handled by the hard drive controller.

An ideal good hard drive will do this without slowing down performance. It's just a matter of when the hard drive chooses to ax certain sectors.

Chrome can take a long time to load up if you haven't cleared its cache and history lately as those files can go up to GBs. One time, I didn't clear my cache for an year, and Chrome collected about 5GB of data. I cleared it which fixed my boot problem.

You can remove that using ccleaner or in using the Chrome wrench -> settings. Be sure to select "From the beginning."

Also, it's normal for Chrome to run in many processes as that's what makes it stable. IE9 does this as well. Many Firefox critics say Firefox should move to this type of system management.

------

Check your RAM. Windows Vista/7 includes a built-in memory diagnostic tool.

Click the start/windows button and type: Windows Memory Diagnostic. Let it reboot and run the test.

The test will post results in the testing screen and also when Windows successfully boots back up.

------

Do you use any extensions with your Chrome?

------

Can you explain your folder problem? I'm not quite understanding what's happening.

Thanks, I can already notice an improvement when loading pages since emptying the cache. Will try that Memory Diagnostic when I come home from work.

About the folder problem, you know how when you right click the Windows Explorer icon it'll show the recently accessed folders? Well at random times of the day, today it seemed to do it right at startup, the Recent list is filled with a bunch long Chinese folder names like
"㩄䑜睯汮慯層潐祮䘠汯敤屲䵐獖愠摮嘠摩潥倠牡摯敩屳䱍⁐䵁⹖癡iand Video Parodies" Direct C+P

that are supposedly on the desktop, but really aren't. They're all pretty much the same but with slightly different ends. Sometimes, it'll say Video Parodies, other times it'll be cut off and say something like "deo" or "eo parody". Scans still don't turn up anything. Most baffling thing I've seen.

eXistor

HALP!

I've just encountered winiogin.exe, which apparently is bad news. I was browsing videogamesplus.ce and Java came up to ask for permission to start. I figured why not (not sure why I thought this, seems so stupid now) and all of a sudden ad aware finds something.

After trying to open ad aware to see what was up, my pc gave the BSOD, which it keeps doing every time I try to open ad aware. Then I started looking and noticed some weird apps running, like "mesaaododoe"- something (I removed that so that's gone) and also winiogon.exe. I removed winiogin.exe and some seemingly associated files in safe mode and it looks to be gone, but I doubt thing are that simple. Searching on google suggests I need to do something with registry stuff. Any simple way of doing this if it's needed at all?

Alternitively, is it safe to just reinstall windows 7 and keep my files? Or would I have to do a complete reinstall? I'm really bad with this kind of shit, so explain it like I'm an idiot (I am). I'm hoping it won't come to that though.

Thanks in advance guys.

Ok so I bought a new HD for the laptop
Booted off the recovery disks

Now windows live 2011 will install but won't connect
iTunes is getting some error in the registry preventing it from copying/burning CDs
Also, my ipod isn't being detected properly when I plug it into the USB

Any ideas?

eXistor

eXistor said:
HALP!

I've just encountered winiogin.exe, which apparently is bad news. I was browsing videogamesplus.ce and Java came up to ask for permission to start. I figured why not (not sure why I thought this, seems so stupid now) and all of a sudden ad aware finds something.

After trying to open ad aware to see what was up, my pc gave the BSOD, which it keeps doing every time I try to open ad aware. Then I started looking and noticed some weird apps running, like "mesaaododoe"- something (I removed that so that's gone) and also winiogon.exe. I removed winiogin.exe and some seemingly associated files in safe mode and it looks to be gone, but I doubt thing are that simple. Searching on google suggests I need to do something with registry stuff. Any simple way of doing this if it's needed at all?

Alternitively, is it safe to just reinstall windows 7 and keep my files? Or would I have to do a complete reinstall? I'm really bad with this kind of shit, so explain it like I'm an idiot (I am). I'm hoping it won't come to that though.

Thanks in advance guys.

Sorry to bump this, but anyone?

alternade

Having an issue with my router( Belkin f5d8236-4 v2). All my wired connection to it work, but anything trying to connect wireless will say its connected to the network but have no internet. Really baffled on this. It was working fine until today. Ive tried resetting the router to factory settings and leaving the network open and still the same problem.

BigJonsson said:
Ok so I bought a new HD for the laptop
Booted off the recovery disks

Now windows live 2011 will install but won't connect
iTunes is getting some error in the registry preventing it from copying/burning CDs
Also, my ipod isn't being detected properly when I plug it into the USB

Any ideas?

And the solution to ALL those issues and even windows update not working is.........

Install the latest update to Intel Rapid Storage Technology.........even if its only a 500GB hard drive..........ugh

this isn't really a tech support question, but someone may be able to help

I want to develop an iPad app that uses voice input to display objects on the screen, and then save that recorded voice and send it via email to other people.

However, I can't seem to find a tutorial on how to make a voice recognition device on iPad. Am I not able, as a developer, to tap into iOS's built in voice recognition? On Windows, I can just use C# to piggyback on Windows' voice process and build something from that.

Or will I have to be an audio engineer and a computer science doctor to be able to do this? I seems to simple. I just want someone to say "cat" and a cat shows up on the screen, and yet this seems like such a complicated process for iOS.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
The SDK does not include voice recognition features. Siri is a separate application. So you might have to go looking for a 3rd-party SDK. Something like iSpeech or whatever.

If you wanted to implement voice recognition by yourself, you would certainly have one of the more difficult tasks ahead of you.

iSpeech would require me to learn Obj-C :(

I don't want to do that though, I was hoping to build it in Flash.
Ah well, I'll see what the other project developers want to do.

Vyer

Got something I've run into bothering me. I'm sure the answer is simple but my brain is fried.

A couple of Windows 7 machines in a workgroup, one is hosting a Quickbooks company file in a shared folder on it's C drive. The other system had been able to access this folder and was using the company file in a multi user environment.

Host died, new hard drive, reloaded, data recovered and restored.

Suddenly the machines can no longer share. Now the shared folder (or just access in Network period is prompting for a username and password. It will not accept anything, even if the same acct is placed on both machines.

Same Workgroup
Password Protected Sharing is off
Folder is set up for sharing with Read/Write access for anyone
Same network type (Work)
Can ping each machine from the other

What's odd is that sometimes it will actually work and let me in to the host's shared folder. Then the next time, nope, password prompt.

Outsanity

Gaf, got a bit of a problem setting up a wireless hub at my university - I know it's possible as a couple of my friends have got it working downstairs.

Basically, I've connected it all up to my ethernet port etc etc and I can connect to it from my laptop, my iPad, my phone just fine. My problem is, however, that I can't secure it.

I can't seem to access the default router address of 192.168.1.254; in chrome it just says that it "cannot connect to this address". I ran an ipconfig and it came up showing my default gateway was 128.86.180.1 but likewise, chrome cannot connect to this address either and as a result I cannot get access to the basic router settings.

I've also tried configuring the device through windows under the "network" tab, however when I've entered the PIN, chosen an SSID and security type, windows says that the attempt to set up the router was unsuccessful. I feel I should note though that it was successful when I attempted this configuration this was about an hour ago, unfortunately I had to reset the router as I didn't want the SSID to be "Matt's Vaio" and I had no other way of changing it. Since then, it's just been failing over and over.

Of course the fact that it actually works is a huge bonus but I really need to get it secured as I don't want any cheeky neighbours torrenting off my connection and using my data limit thus getting me into hot water.

So, does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

McSmiggins

Neo Member
Outsanity said:
Gaf, got a bit of a problem setting up a wireless hub at my university -

<Wireless stuff>

Cheers.

Are you sure what type of device it is, you say wireless hub, then router, which are different things. From the behaviour you're getting I'd say it's a wireless access point (basically a hub)

Basically, the problem is it's set to use an IP in a certain network range, however your uni network is assigning the other IP addreses in the range 10.0.0.0/8.

Take your laptop, connect to the wireless hub then change it's IP settings for the wireless adapter to be:

(Settings are roughly under -> Manage Network Connections -> Right click wireless adapter -> Properties -> Double click TCP/IP v4)

IP address: 192.168.1.100
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Click ok twice, then try to access:

http://192.168.1.254

You should be able to access the config page, set up the wireless security. Once that's all done, reconnect the laptop and set the wireless adapter back to "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server automatically"

Most important things:
1. If you see a "DHCP Server" option - LEAVE IT ALONE, you can break a lot more than you think by turning this on on a network that isn't yours.
2. You've checked you're allowed a wireless hub on your uni network, general rule with any network, if it's not your network check very carefully what you're allowed to do.

Outsanity

McSmiggins said:
Are you sure what type of device it is, you say wireless hub, then router, which are different things. From the behaviour you're getting I'd say it's a wireless access point (basically a hub)

Basically, the problem is it's set to use an IP in a certain network range, however your uni network is assigning the other IP addreses in the range 10.0.0.0/8.

Take your laptop, connect to the wireless hub then change it's IP settings for the wireless adapter to be:

(Settings are roughly under -> Manage Network Connections -> Right click wireless adapter -> Properties -> Double click TCP/IP v4)

IP address: 192.168.1.100
Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Click ok twice, then try to access:

http://192.168.1.254

You should be able to access the config page, set up the wireless security. Once that's all done, reconnect the laptop and set the wireless adapter back to "Obtain an IP Address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server automatically"

Most important things:
1. If you see a "DHCP Server" option - LEAVE IT ALONE, you can break a lot more than you think by turning this on on a network that isn't yours.
2. You've checked you're allowed a wireless hub on your uni network, general rule with any network, if it's not your network check very carefully what you're allowed to do.

Kudos to you man, thanks so much, working just fine now with WPA2-PSK . I'm sure I read a solution like that online before I posted but I must have done something wrong in the process of completing it.

I'm just curious though, what kind of major issues can "DHCP Server" create? Thankfully I didn't touch it. Oh and sorry for my technical inadequacy, it's definitely a hub!

Zutroy

TechGaf!

I'm thinking about buying a micro server. Basically, I want to store a tone of music, but I need it to constantly be running iTunes for sharing with all the iDevices in the house, so I figured I couldn't use a NAS.

I found this (Link) which you can get a 100 quid rebate, making it a £140.

Basically, my question is will this work for what I want to do? Or is there a cheaper/better solution?

Ashhong

GAF! I need help on my friends computer. It's some Gateway desktop with that came with RAID configged drives out of the box. Basically we need to reformat the shit but it doesn't work right. I tried to put in a Windows DVD and boot from it but it's not working. The DVD drive shows in the boot menu as a RAID drive, is there something special I need to do?

I tinkered around in the RAID menu and ended up deleting the data on the RAID HDD, and now it shows as an ARRAY. We dont know wtf we are doing with this RAID crap. Please help!

Chichikov

I have an ASUS u65e, and I'm able to connect it to a TV through HDMI with no problems.
However, I can't get an image when I try to connect it through a Yamaha RX-V567 receiver.
That setup works like a charm with a Lenovo and XBOX 360.

Any ideas?

DTJAAAAM

My work computer no longer boots to Windows XP on its own. Once powered on, it starts up and gets stuck on a screen like this:

351en1e.gif

If I boot with Hiren's BootCD inside, I can start Windows XP by choosing the option to start to Windows normally and everything else works fine, but I'd rather have everything back to normal if possible. Any ideas?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/
You want to read what fixmbr does, then apply that to your system in recovery mode.

1. Boot from the Windows XP CD
2. Press R
3. Pick your system partition as the active partition
4. Use fixmbr appropriately to fix your master boot record (read docs at the above link)

Hey y'all.

So there are a few websites that I can normally access which I am not not able to access. Page cannot be displayed and whatnot.

I've ran into this issue before and fixed it. Something about DNS cache or something. Trouble is I can't remember what I did.

Can someone halp?

entremet

Anyone know how to restore autocomplete in IE8? I do a lot of Database work online and autocomplete saves me from retyping the fields again. The site is now https. I don't know if that broke anything.

Barrett2

Need help.

Windows XP netbook was hooked up to external monitor, display output only on monitor. Yesterday morning when netbook was turned on, it displayed error screen, but would not let me boot into bios or safe mode or anything, because keyboard appeared unresponsive. Unplugged it from monitor, now there is no picture outputting to netbook monitor, and I can't toggle back to netbook monitor output to actually see what is on the screen.

Any thoughts on what I should do next? Is there some way anyone knows to: (i) force it to output image to the netbook screen again, or (ii) force a hard reset?

Thanks!

Top Bottom