• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tech Support GAF Thread: No Case Too Big, No Case Too Small

aktham

Here's the situation IT support GAF. I bought a laptop for my mom. I want to make it as fool proof as possible. I deleted all the unnecessary programs that came with the laptop. I installed the latest Windows security essentials, Skype, itunes, Firefox with adblock plus and office 2007. I did all of the windows updates. This process took some time and I just want to back up the laptop in it's current state. I am almost positive when my youngest sister uses the laptop some ad crap/weird free music apps will be on the PC. What is the best way to clone the current drive, so that if I wipe it, I can simply restore it back without having to go through all of this again? I would prefer to keep the image on a separate HDD, rather than make a partion on the current laptop HDD.

Thanks guys

clav

Here's the situation IT support GAF. I bought a laptop for my mom. I want to make it as fool proof as possible. I deleted all the unnecessary programs that came with the laptop. I installed the latest Windows security essentials, Skype, itunes, Firefox with adblock plus and office 2007. I did all of the windows updates. This process took some time and I just want to back up the laptop in it's current state. I am almost positive when my youngest sister uses the laptop some ad crap/weird free music apps will be on the PC. What is the best way to clone the current drive, so that if I wipe it, I can simply restore it back without having to go through all of this again? I would prefer to keep the image on a separate HDD, rather than make a partion on the current laptop HDD.

Thanks guys

Backup: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-your-programs-system-settings-and-files

Restore: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Restore-your-computer-from-a-system-image-backup

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Wasn't sure if this should go in the annual "Building a new PC thread", but seeing that this is more repairs related I figure I'll try this thread first. Anyway, one of the hinges on my laptop monitor (an Asus N61JQ) snapped today. It looks like metal fatigue was the culprit after examining it. Unfortunately, the manufacturer's warranty is long since expired, so I'm going to have to replace the hinge myself. Does anyone know of reliable sources for buying replacements? I've sifted through some of Amazon's results, and haven't been able to find hinges for my particular model. Please note that I also need a place that ships these parts to Canada. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks IT Gaf. =D

Jzero

Wasn't sure if this should go in the annual "Building a new PC thread", but seeing that this is more repairs related I figure I'll try this thread first. Anyway, one of the hinges on my laptop monitor (an Asus N61JQ) snapped today. It looks like metal fatigue was the culprit after examining it. Unfortunately, the manufacturer's warranty is long since expired, so I'm going to have to replace the hinge myself. Does anyone know of reliable sources for buying replacements? I've sifted through some of Amazon's results, and haven't been able to find hinges for my particular model. Please note that I also need a place that ships these parts to Canada. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks IT Gaf. =D

Well when i buy any replacement parts for my customers i go to any website that has that part and then check the reliability of the site with something like WOT and 've never had a problem before.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Help me GAF...

Toshiba laptop, windows 7.

Start computer. Loads fine. No icons repond. Chrome opens 10 mins after I click. Not responsive. MS message says program unresponsive. Totally fucked here... Nothing works. Even if I hit shutdown doesn't respond. Typing from iPad....

clav

Help me GAF...

Toshiba laptop, windows 7.

Start computer. Loads fine. No icons repond. Chrome opens 10 mins after I click. Not responsive. MS message says program unresponsive. Totally fucked here... Nothing works. Even if I hit shutdown doesn't respond. Typing from iPad....

Does the computer load fine with safe mode + networking?

Press F8 before the "Starting Windows" screen comes up to initiate a launch menu displaying options for different boot up modes.

Select the one that says "Safe mode with networking."

See if you can get online with that. You may need to use an Ethernet cord.

If it works fine there, great. You can get tools to get it back on track.

RSTEIN

Does the computer load fine with safe mode + networking?

Press F8 before the "Starting Windows" screen comes up to initiate a launch menu displaying options for different boot up modes.

Select the one that says "Safe mode with networking."

See if you can get online with that. You may need to use an Ethernet cord.

If it works fine there, great. You can get tools to get it back on track.

Safe mode with networking not working... I mean, it loads but none of the programs respond. If I start it without networking it's much better, I was able to get documents off. Ready to throw laptop across the room. Is now a good time to buy a Mac :p

RSTEIN

Edit: after leavingit for 20 mins I have some functionality back (in safe mode with networking). For example excel opens and chrome works.

RSTEIN

Downloaded malware bytes. Scanning now.

Nothing is causing CPU usage to spike.

Thanks a lot for your help.

rCIZZLE

Is there any reason Firefox takes up so much memory? Seems like soon as I load up the first window I'm already up to 350mb and when I start closing tabs it either doesn't change or goes up.

clav

Malwarebytes scan did not find anything.

Hey sorry was out for a break.

Try this.

If you make a new profile, does it boot up faster than the old one?

Control Panel -> Add or remove user accounts -> Create a new account -> Administrator.

Does it boot up faster?

------------------------------------------

Possibly you may have a lot of start up processes in the background.

Go to start menu: msconfig

Take a snapshot of the startup tab and post back.

------------------------------------------

edit: Oh. Huh? Working fine.

Hm. Possibly your hard drive can be dying as well. Stuff breaks.

Is there any reason Firefox takes up so much memory? Seems like soon as I load up the first window I'm already up to 350mb and when I start closing tabs it either doesn't change or goes up.

What extensions do you use?

Firefox has been publicly criticized for adhering to a one process standard. The future way of handling web browsing should be the way how Chrome and IE9+ use multiple processes.

rCIZZLE

What extensions do you use?

Firefox has been publicly criticized for adhering to a one process standard. The future way of handling web browsing should be the way how Chrome and IE9+ use multiple processes.

I'm pretty much technologically retarded so I'm really not sure. I just use the default and didn't change anything as far as I know.

I'll give chrome another try but the only thing I don't like about it is not "saving" my tabs whenever my computer randomly restarts or whatever. That and not warning me when I accidentally close a window with several tabs.

clav

hey GAF! i have an issue with Bluetooth and my laptop. i bought an HP elitebook 6930p around 2 years ago (maybe longer) and i clearly remember it having Bluetooth features. i remember being able to send songs to my motorola at the time (RIZR) over a Bluetooth connection. well, after a few years and a couple of reinstallations later, my Bluetooth seems to me misinstalled. i checked the bios on boot up, and in the options Bluetooth is listed under "active". i tried installing the driver from hp's website, but i get an error every time. anyone here have an idea of what i might be able to do? much appreciated.. and written on my phone so please excuse any mistakes :)

According to this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wirele...h-and-cant-find-driver-for-system/td-p/427709

Download the HP wireless assistant and install it: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-84194-1

Enable the digital switch that only HP wireless assistant can access to install the bluetooth driver: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-HP-Bluetooth-driver-in-Windows-7/td-p/243580

Dell does a similar thing for their laptops for certain devices that can only be unlocked by proprietary programs even if the BIOS is set to enabled.

I'm pretty much technologically retarded so I'm really not sure. I just use the default and didn't change anything as far as I know.

I'll give chrome another try but the only thing I don't like about it is not "saving" my tabs whenever my computer randomly restarts or whatever. That and not warning me when I accidentally close a window with several tabs.

You're using Firefox 8.0.1, right?

Unless you're having problems with stability, then you don't have to change your usage.

Chrome saves your tabs if the system or program itself crashes unexpectedly.

As for warning to close tabs, this extension will help: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fjccknnhdnkbanjilpjddjhmkghmachn

Big Chungus

My two year old LCD monitor has been flickering then just shuts off...

I'm able to turn it back on but it starts to flicker and shuts off again.

Anyone know what to look for inside the monitor?

I've had bad caps but anything else?

clav

My two year old LCD monitor has been flickering then just shuts off...

I'm able to turn it back on but it starts to flicker and shuts off again.

Anyone know what to look for inside the monitor?

I've had bad caps but anything else?

That's a grey area.

I guess one thing you could see if they sell power inverter board replacements for that particular model and try to replace it yourself.

Is the monitor still under warranty?

rCIZZLE

You're using Firefox 8.0.1, right?

Unless you're having problems with stability, then you don't have to change your usage.

Chrome saves your tabs if the system or program itself crashes unexpectedly.

As for warning to close tabs, this extension will help: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fjccknnhdnkbanjilpjddjhmkghmachn

Ya and I keep getting warnings because of firefox using too much memory. When I check processes it seems like the add up is far less than the 3.68gb "usage" I have so I can't really tell if it's that or just the browser. I'm on Windows 7 btw.

Agent_J

According to this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Wirele...h-and-cant-find-driver-for-system/td-p/427709

Download the HP wireless assistant and install it: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-84194-1

Enable the digital switch that only HP wireless assistant can access to install the bluetooth driver: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...-HP-Bluetooth-driver-in-Windows-7/td-p/243580

Dell does a similar thing for their laptops for certain devices that can only be unlocked by proprietary programs even if the BIOS is set to enabled.
you rock dude thank you so much!

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I have a SD card here that needs to be formatted, but there are still images on it that i need to get off but i can't access them. I've tried accessing them via the camera, through my a USB card reader, the card reader in 2 different laptops and my desktop. It looks like the card is corrupted. The only thing i can think of at the moment is to format the card and use some sort of recovery software to try and access the images. This is the one i've seen mentioned a few times.
Any thoughts on what i can do GAF?

Hey guys I hope this thread is a good spot for this post. I need a little advice on gift buying.

My mom is a 45-year-old socialite who likes hip and trendy devices even if she barely uses them. As you can assume, she's not very good with computers. Christmas is coming up and I would love to get her a nice gift.

She has a laptop, but its an older HP that is having problems staying charged. In lieu of another laptop, I kind of wanted to buy her a tablet and a case with a bluetooth keyboard.

Basically all this tablet has to do is have a browser that saves passwords and do some light Microsoft Office tasks (Word and Excel mainly, with maybe a little Powerpoint)

However, I'm not rich and my ideal price point would be under $300 used.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy or what to buy? I was looking at a Blackberry Playbook because I am also getting her a Blackberry Torch for Christmas, but i'm not sure how easy it would be for her to access her Word files.

jdforge

Banned
Hmm similar issue with Win7 to a poster above...

I can run in Safe Mode with Networking (hence the posting on GAF), but on normal settings, all processes lock up and the laptop stops responding after a few minutes. This has been ongoing since the weekend.

I've no malware/viruses, the system is seemingly clean. There is a 55MB Windows Update that failed to install, and that I can't get to install in Safe Mode.

I have tried to recover the system to the last known good configuration, but this hasn't helped at all.

I own a Sony Vaio laptop, it's a few years old, but hasn't had a single issue until a few days ago. Any help or suggestions as to how to fix this are most welcome :)

clav

Hmm similar issue with Win7 to a poster above...

I can run in Safe Mode with Networking (hence the posting on GAF), but on normal settings, all processes lock up and the laptop stops responding after a few minutes. This has been ongoing since the weekend.

I've no malware/viruses, the system is seemingly clean. There is a 55MB Windows Update that failed to install, and that I can't get to install in Safe Mode.

I have tried to recover the system to the last known good configuration, but this hasn't helped at all.

I own a Sony Vaio laptop, it's a few years old, but hasn't had a single issue until a few days ago. Any help or suggestions as to how to fix this are most welcome :)

Have you tried creating a new user Administrator account and running Windows under that account?

I have a SD card here that needs to be formatted, but there are still images on it that i need to get off but i can't access them. I've tried accessing them via the camera, through my a USB card reader, the card reader in 2 different laptops and my desktop. It looks like the card is corrupted. The only thing i can think of at the moment is to format the card and use some sort of recovery software to try and access the images. This is the one i've seen mentioned a few times.
Any thoughts on what i can do GAF?
I heard PhotoRec works best in this situation.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

clav

Hey guys I hope this thread is a good spot for this post. I need a little advice on gift buying.

My mom is a 45-year-old socialite who likes hip and trendy devices even if she barely uses them. As you can assume, she's not very good with computers. Christmas is coming up and I would love to get her a nice gift.

She has a laptop, but its an older HP that is having problems staying charged. In lieu of another laptop, I kind of wanted to buy her a tablet and a case with a bluetooth keyboard.

Basically all this tablet has to do is have a browser that saves passwords and do some light Microsoft Office tasks (Word and Excel mainly, with maybe a little Powerpoint)

However, I'm not rich and my ideal price point would be under $300 used.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to buy or what to buy? I was looking at a Blackberry Playbook because I am also getting her a Blackberry Torch for Christmas, but i'm not sure how easy it would be for her to access her Word files.

I suppose at best find a refurbished iPad gen 1. Supposedly they run about $300.

Why does the browser have to save passwords?

My mom left a message saying her computer (an Emachine running windows xp) is acting odd. Programs aren't opening when she clicks on them, instead she gets an "open with" list featuring various programs.

Any idea how to fix this?

clav

My mom left a message saying her computer (an Emachine running windows xp) is acting odd. Programs aren't opening when she clicks on them, instead she gets an "open with" list featuring various programs.

Any idea how to fix this?

Oh. This problem.

Someone punked the computer to open .exe extensions with a program that doesn't exist.

The easy way is to go here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Download the one titled "EXE File Association Fix."

Extract the .reg and launch it to apply the fix.

You want to check for spyware/malware after doing this.

No luck with this fix unfortunately. IE locked up in under 2 minutes.

Take a picture of your startup processes.

Use ccleaner and go to tools -> Startup.

Alternatively, type msconfig and screenshot the startup tab.

I wonder if there's something running every time that shouldn't be running.

jdforge

Banned
Hmm, not able to upload pics!

Here's the list...

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver
HD Audio Control Panel
Realtek Voice Manager
avast5
Intel Common User Interface
Microsoft Office 2010
Adobe Reader & acrobat manager
Quicktime
Apple Push
Java SE Updater 2 0
iTunes
Malwarebytes
uTorrent

I suppose at best find a refurbished iPad gen 1. Supposedly they run about $300.

Why does the browser have to save passwords?

Because she's REALLY BAD at remembering her passwords and constantly has to troll her e-mail to find a password, which she refuses to write down because she thinks she might drop it and someone will find her passwords. To make matters worse, she has a different password for every site and changes every 3 months, including e-mail. She tries to remember them herself, but if she forgets her email pass she's effed.

I saw a few android tablets and these android tablets support keyboard AND mouse, so she could use it as a full laptop replacement. would any of you recommend an android tablet to an old woman for everyday use?

jdforge

Banned
OK, I'm posting in normal Win7 mode, having just removed avast...

Let's see how long it takes....

EDIT - Also, I don't know why I've got Java installed, so I'll remove that now using CCleaner...

clav

Back in safemode, after Win7 locked when attempting to launch CCleaner. I'll remove Java now...

Does the problem only occur when running Internet Explorer?

Shows up as Removable Disk (G:) but when i try to open it all it says i need to format it.

I would use the HP format tool if the Explorer refuses to format and run PhotoRec again.

At this point, I don't think you can be hopeful to recover the files if the SD card itself doesn't work.

jdforge

Banned
Does the problem only occur when running Internet Explorer?

If I stay in safe mode Win7 does not crash. When operating in normal Win7 mode, the system will crash after 2-3 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing either. Opening applications, programmes, browsers - all result in a crash...but only after a few minutes.

I have disabled my wireless network driver, as that was taking an absolute age to connect. I notice there is an update available for it, but I'm not sure how to update Win7 in safe mode, if at all?

When I try to apply the updates in standard mode, the system will crash before the updates are installed.

Also, I'm now not able to uninstall anything haha, this is nuts!

Kawaii

My mom came back from a 3 week holiday this weekend and the first thing she did when she was home was accidentally deleting 3 days worth of pictures from her SD-card.

They are nowhere to be found in the recycle bin.

I'm doing my best to recover them but probably all hope is lost (?)

Already tried using Recuva and Undelete 360. Both program recognized all the deleted files, and both said that all files were in good condition to restore.

Restoring did bring back all the files but there's no way to view the photos, windows says they are either damaged or too big. The latter seems bullshit to me.

Any tips on something i can try to recover her photos?

clav

If I stay in safe mode Win7 does not crash. When operating in normal Win7 mode, the system will crash after 2-3 minutes. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing either. Opening applications, programmes, browsers - all result in a crash...but only after a few minutes.

I have disabled my wireless network driver, as that was taking an absolute age to connect. I notice there is an update available for it, but I'm not sure how to update Win7 in safe mode, if at all?

When I try to apply the updates in standard mode, the system will crash before the updates are installed.

Also, I'm now not able to uninstall anything haha, this is nuts!

Just a question for info: Are you on Windows 7 Service Pack 1?

Start menu -> computer -> right click -> properties

Alternatively, you can hold the Windows key on the keyboard and press the "Pause" key on the upper right corner.

clav

Sorry if it sounds like I'm poking and prodding as I'm going through my thought process to solve your problem.

You can use an included Windows 7 program called "snipping tool" to take screencaps of your computer.

That said, what does the Windows Update history look like?

Start Menu -> Windows Update -> View Update history (left side).

----------------------------------

Seems like to me there's a service or program or combination of the two that's not running properly and brings the computer to its knees. You said that everything runs fine in safe mode, so that diagnosis makes sense to me.

jdforge

Banned
It won't let me near Windows Update in Safe Mode, but there are updates in there.

There are 38 Optionals (almost all language updates) and 4 that need done, but I can't get them installed...

clav

So you're unable to view the update history in safe mode?

----------------

On the msconfig screen (start menu -> type: msconfig), under the "Services" tab, check the box "hide all Microsoft services."

What's the list of 3rd party services running?

Top Bottom