• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Techies help!: Using USB Smartmedia writer with my Digital Camera...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodsTyro

I put the card in, plugged the device into a USB port, but the error I get is "A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub " I checked the devices in the device manager and they are all "working properly" I have a Linksys wireless-b network adapter connected to another port so there's nothing wrong with the ports themselves. If I ignore that error and go into my computer to open the removable drive sometimes it will say "this drive needs to be formatted" which I click yes too but it says cannot read card. What do I do?

I have tried other ports (front and back) as well as this site http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1055881516 all to no avail.

edit: i have tried it on two different computers using XP...same error message.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
WINXP SP1 will give you USB 2.0 support unless your motherboard came with the drivers.

GodsTyro

DaCocoBrova said:
WINXP SP1 will give you USB 2.0 support unless your motherboard came with the drivers.

Obviously my motherboard is missing the drivers then..I thought I automatically updared to Sp1? My computer always seems to be doign that, anyway...if not, where can I download the drivers or Sp1?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Who makes your motherboard? Do you have a model #?

Update to SP2 and that should take care of it all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I get this with my laptop. Its just because my laptop has USB1, but the device is USB2. It doesn't stop the device from working, it just limits it to USB1 speeds. (naturally, because thats what I've got)

Don't really know why it says it - maybe its an idiot checkpoint, in case you thought you'd automatically get USB2 speeds?

GodsTyro

mrklaw said:
I get this with my laptop. Its just because my laptop has USB1, but the device is USB2. It doesn't stop the device from working, it just limits it to USB1 speeds. (naturally, because thats what I've got)

Don't really know why it says it - maybe its an idiot checkpoint, in case you thought you'd automatically get USB2 speeds?

Well, thats the thing. I would be fine with slower speeds. :p It doesn't even read the drive.

Sometimes certain shitty USB card readers need individual drivers, even though most work out of the box with Win2000 and XP. I have a crappy Smart media reader that needs drivers in 2000 and XP.

Since your reader is also Smart media, maybe it's the same case here. Go see if the manufacturer has a driver at their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom