• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ted 2' dogged by claims of racism, sexism, homophobia and transphobia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pimpwerx

This is the most reductive thing I've ever seen. I never can read posts like these and not take it to mean that the poster - likely unintentionally - dismissed comedy. "Jokes aren't bad, you just don't get them!" So I guess that means that all the effort Carlin put into his humour was wasted because he could have literally just took a nap on stage and it apparently would be good comedy, because what do you know?

No real comedy fan thinks that comedy is beyond public criticism.
Criticism needs context. You agree with the criticisms here? You thing a "real comedy fan" would agree with them? Man, criticism is so fucking easy to do. I love how fervently people defend their right to be arrogant. PEACE.

Criticism needs context. You agree with the criticisms here? You thing a "real comedy fan" would agree with them? Man, criticism is so fucking easy to do. I love how fervently people defend their right to be arrogant. PEACE.

Seth must find comedy very hard then, because he so consistently comes up short.

But yes, continue talking about the special little flowers that are comedians.

Pimpwerx

Minnesota is home to one of the safest LGBT cities in the US (it's not saying much, but it's at least up there). I do not expect that Minneapolis however does not have its fair share of bigots.

Also maybe you don't understand why you're transphobic and instead of thinking about why someone would call you that, you instead play the equivalent (albeit the weird one) of the "my best friend is black" card.

peace

You said "comedy is hard, man." in direct response to me.

What does you moving to Bangkok have to do with anything? The US just legalized same sex marriage but I can assure you that there is still a large amount of homophobes living there.
Ladyboys are an accepted part of Thai society to the point that you will likely never find a higher concentration of transgendered individuals per capita anywhere else in the world. Am I wrong? If I was truly bigoted, why would I be traveling to Bangkok to live and party with no current employment? I'm going to literally be rubbing elbows with transgendered people on the trains. EWW! Oh wait, that's just how you think I'd react.

What on earth makes you think I care so much about gender to care? I live in Miami, probably one of the most trans-friendly cities in the US. You're just off base, and you couldn't find anything in my history to support the dumb notion that I'm a bigot. Go ahead, if you can. Call me out.

I'll say it again. Your gender means nothing to me. Does it matter that I'm a man saying these things? I'd think the fact that in black and giving this the full minority's perspective is worth something, but apparently not. It must be annoying that I just won't capitulate. You can browbeat everyone else, but that shit don't work on me. Funny that. PEACE.

knkng

I know I'm not a part of this conversation, but even as a woman you're still going to hear general comments like that without any real motivation behind it. For example, I often call groups of women "guys", as in "hey you guys" or something like that. It's not necessarily a comment about being transgender or anything like that.

"What kind of bigot has a best friend who is black? Please look at my friend and ignore the bigoted things I am saying."

Seriously, you are so desperate to cling to that argument. Address why people are calling you transphobic instead of trying to prove that they don't understand transphobia.

If you don't like the movie don't watch it and don't give him your money. Simple.

Or criticize a popular figure for propagating offensive humour.

It's really weird how this argument has very specific limitations. If you hate EA, it's not often that people will tell you to be quiet about it. Hating on EA is practically a tradition in gaming. Should people shut up instead of criticizing a powerful entity in gaming, an entity that has the ability to influence things?

KHlover

Banned

What does you moving to Bangkok have to do with anything? The US just legalized same sex marriage but I can assure you that there is still a large amount of homophobes living there.
That's a common expression and has nothing to do with the gender of the conversation partner. He didn't call you a man

E.g. "oh man I sure could do with a soda right now"

Kinsei

Banned
Ladyboys are an accepted part of Thai society to the point that you will likely never find a higher concentration of transgendered individuals per capita anywhere else in the world. Am I wrong? If I was truly bigoted, why would I be traveling to Bangkok to live and party with no current employment? I'm going to literally be rubbing elbows with transgendered people on the trains. EWW! Oh wait, that's just how you think I'd react.

What on earth makes you think I care so much about gender to care? I live in Miami, probably one of the most trans-friendly cities in the US. You're just off base, and you couldn't find anything in my history to support the dumb notion that I'm a bigot. Go ahead, if you can. Call me out.

I'll say it again. Your gender means nothing to me. Does it matter that I'm a man saying these things? I'd think the fact that in black and giving this the full minority's perspective is worth something, but apparently not. It must be annoying that I just won't capitulate. You can browbeat everyone else, but that shit don't work on me. Funny that. PEACE.

Of course I don't think you'd react that way. Do the majority of racists you meet racists react that way to you in a public setting?

Why would I bother going through your post history?

Browbeat? What the fuck are you talking about?

That's a common expression and has nothing to do with the gender of the conversation partner. He didn't call you a man

E.g. "oh man I sure could do with a soda right now"

In your example the person isn't calling whoever they're talking to a man. Following up a statement directly to them with man is (at least where I'm from).

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
You don't have to be dirty to be a funny comedian. Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Mitch Hedberg, Harlan Williams, Jerry Seinfeld, and many others are proud of that.

That said, you can say some truly awful things and have it be hilarious if you don't take yourself too seriously. I won't pretend to be some sort of member of an oft-persecuted populace, but the times when a comedian goes all in on my religion, I can still find it hilarious if the joke is executed well. If it is not only in poor taste, but also poor delivery, then it is annoying.

Even still, a comic delivering a set filled to the brim with "hate speech" about my people would be met with avoidance by me, not politicking on the Internet and through social media. Unless someone is advocating for hateful actions, not just humorous conflating of stereotypes or whatever (rac, sex, transgender, etc)-ist thing out there, I just can't get behind any hard or soft censoring of that person's comedy. To live my life any other way would be terribly unfunny.

Calling Seth McFarlane, Amy Schumer, Louis CK, or even Seinfeld at the other end of the spectrum ("he doesn't play colleges because he is old and lame, not because of the crowds.") "hacks" is totally lame and untrue criticism. These are world famous and ridiculously talented comedians who just happen to not be funny to you. Just because others find their humor funny does not mean those people are bigots, either.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that most of the offended bunch in here would be totally fine if the jokes targeted groups you believe to be foolish/majorities/people with dumb opinions/etc. In that sense, your disgust and offense is due to you only caring about your own issues. Self-righteousness is a hallmark of these very issues, though.

Eg: comedy about "dumb-fuck" Republicans, Southerners, white middle class people, preppy, jocks, men, Christians, Country misic fans, hetero-normative relationships, etc.

Pimpwerx went off on nine different tangents and his anger was palpable and I didn't agree with a lot of what he wrote, but he said one thing I definitely agree about: everybody is so wrapped up in their own issues that they expect others to be wrapped up in them, too. The transgender poster (sorry, on mobile and I don't care enough to look) effectively accusing him of being anti-gay/anti-trans because he didn't notice nor care to acknowledge the correct pronoun in a paragraph he wrote filled with slang. Then, instead of a rebuttal or commentary on points, the only commentary becomes the outrage about being called by the wrong gender pronoun,when that is not even what he was doing. Way to be. Seriously.

Pimpwerx

"What kind of bigot has a best friend who is black?"
Not even close. Would a Klansman move to the hood? What sense would it make for a transphobe to move to Bangkok?

Seriously.

Like, I'm humoring you. I'm not even asking what makes me a transphobe. I'm offering a convenient exit from the reckless and baseless accusations. The trans community on GAF is far too militant for its own good. Save for horny teens, no one cares if you're a man or woman on here. So many women hide their gender because they want their words to matter more than their sex. Funny that I'm singled out for not noticing this most meaningless of distinctions.

Being a woman won't make you less wrong, if that means anything. PEACE.

KHlover

Banned
Stuff like that can and will be affecting to some people though. There's nothing wrong with calling it out.
Calling it out? Sure. Calling someone transphobic for using the expression? That is wrong in book. Maybe pimpwerx is transphobic (I'm not the one to judge), but if he is then it's definitely not because he used that expression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom