• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Teenager charged over London acid attacks

A 16-year-old boy who was arrested in connection with five acid attacks in London on Thursday has been charged with 15 offences, police have said.
The charges include robbery, grievous bodily harm and possession of an item to discharge a noxious substance.
He has been remanded in custody to appear at Stratford Youth Court on Monday.
A 15-year-old boy arrested after the attacks has been released on bail.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-...ng&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

Dynomutt

Keep on saying it's all games. These cats were 16 and 15. Whats happens when they get older. Something really needs to be done. This is crazy.

cameron

Wait how old is he? or is there two guys?

Two teenagers. Aged 15 and 16. Background info on the 5 attacks via BBC: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40617058
Jabed Hussain, 32, was one of five people attacked during a 90-minute period in London on Thursday night.

The delivery driver, whose own moped was stolen, said "my helmet saved me".

Two teenage boys have been arrested. The government said it was considering more controls on corrosive substances.
Thursday night attacks timeline
  • 22:25 BST: A 32-year-old man on a moped in Hackney Road is left with facial injuries after a moped, with two male riders, pulls up alongside and attacks him. They also steal his moped.
  • 22:49 BST: A 44-year-old man has a corrosive substance thrown in his face by two men on a moped in Islington.
  • 23:05 BST: A corrosive substance is reported to have been thrown in the face of a 52-year-old man by two men on a moped in Shoreditch High Street. The victim is taken to hospital.
  • 23:18 BST: Police receive reports of a robbery in Cazenove Road, Stoke Newington, where a corrosive substance is thrown. A 24-year-old man suffers facial injuries described as "life changing".
  • 23:37 BST: A 33-year-old man on a moped in traffic in Chatsworth Road, Clapton, has liquid sprayed in his face and his vehicle stolen.

I can't even comprehend the thought processes of these people, how do you possibly justify throwing acid in someones face to mug them? (how do you justify mugging someone at all?)

THE:MILKMAN

Wait how old is he? or is there two guys?

Two lads. It is annoying this other lad has been released on bail though as he stands a good chance of no further action. In this situation joint enterprise should be used as it really would make these lads think twice about enabling those prepared to throw acid in peoples faces to secure a scooter so they and their friends can keep robbing phones from people or whatever other crimes.

Dougald

Good. It's sad that it's taken something like this for one of these scooter gangs to actually get arrested though

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It shouldn't be so easily bought, hopefully that changes now.

How fucked up of a human being do you have to be to use acid as a weapon at the age of 16?

It doesn't matter how fucked up your upbringing is, there is zero justification for this.

Make an example out of him.

Zaph

Serious question. Why is acid so easy to get a hold of over there?

Easy to get hold of everywhere - just go to a DIY shop and buy a strong drain unblocker.

What's re-popularised it is a mixture of gang culture and cultures where "honour attacks" are a thing. Combine that with strict gun laws and increased stop-and-searches looking for knifes, and here we are. You can put it in a drink bottle and nobody is any the wiser.

It's one of the worst crimes possible.

It's similar to rape in way. It's devastating.

I remember first hearing about acid attacks years ago. Honour crimes. Women's lives destroyed for no reason. For shame, for fear.

I'm older, colder now. I don't react to things that 15 year-olds me would. But acid attacks still get me. My whole body, my being, winces.

To do that to someone... it's the act of a psychopath. You can't do that to someone you feel any empathy towards.
Someone like that, society has no need of. Locked away in a nice comfortable warm room. 3 meals a day and sky news. Forever segregated from the rest of us.

Acinixys

Serious question. Why is acid so easy to get a hold of over there?

Sulfuric Acid (the shit you put in your pool) can be bought in 5L bottles for super cheap

The issue is that normal people only buy it to use in said pool, and not to maliciously attack people

Its all about intent

Top Bottom