• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

zlatko

Banned
What's the major complaints that are being brought up in the reviews? I'm guessing lack of a "story mode" or some weird shit. :/

Also, how does Jinpachi play?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Excellent! I couldn't stand grinding Scenario for items. If you got the swimwear pack, are they already unlocked or do you have to buy them?

Good question. I would like to say they're available from the start but I honestly have no clue unfortunately.

BadWolf

Thanks!

Just watched the IGN review. Is the game really that inacessible? That's pretty much all the review talks about. Weird.

They are probably going by match vids they have seen or got their butts kicked online.

The genre overall isn't exactly easy for new players to get into imo, TTT2 is definitely no exception.

Thanks!

Just watched the IGN review. Is the game really that inacessible? That's pretty much all the review talks about. Weird.

Kinda. It's a game with 50+ characters some with 100+ character specific moves. Also it's a match up based game so you pretty much have to learn every characters moves if you plan on getting really good at it. For a newbie it's all pretty daunting. Very rewarding in the long run though.

People really should ignore the IGN review. Lots of content doesn't make in inaccessible. Casual gamers will have as much fun with TT2 as they did with previous Tekkens.

Lets not forget IGN has been in bed with Tecmo/DoA5 for a while now.

notworksafe

Why are IGN so hard on the game accessability? I don't remember them being that harsh on SFXT and that game is a mess

Tekken is a hard game for new people. Tons of characters, each with 100+ moves and advanced movement is very important if you want to do well.

Luckily the entire game is reaction based so if you just pay attention and learn what your character can do as a counter measure to certain moves you can do very well. I find that much easier than the guessing and mind games that are such a major part of 2D games.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
K4DNCl.jpg

Back from Gamestop. The store has a new manager and she would not stop pestering me about signing up for the rip-off rewards card the entire time. She even seemed to be agitated that I wasn't going to take up this totally fabulous offer!

It was really, really annoying and just another reminder of why I only go to Gamestop for those few exclusive things like the pre-order bonus. Even as the transaction finished, she asked me why I wasn't interested. I said "I just don't go to Gamestop enough for it to matter" and that finally got her to stop.

I had a nice stack of trade-ins that paid for both copies of the game and still had $35 left over that went towards DOA5 CE. Dreading having to go back there to get that game, but once I do it's buh-bye Gamestop again until whenever exclusive edition or bonus makes me go back.

On another note, she also kept hyping up the "Tekken 6/Soul Calibur V mash-up game," which is obviously a budget-priced collection pack, as a new fighting game. -_-

CPS2

That IGN review is just weird, saying how its a trend that fighting games offer too many modes and characters, and TTT2 falls into the same trap... It wasn't long ago everyone was whinging about lack of modes in fighting games, and now they're being critical for having too many? Also i have a bit of a problem with anyone complaining about "memorizing combos." I think you're supposed to learn the properties of each move, how the combo system works, and then figure out combos. You can see what other people are doing, to fill in the gaps in your knowledge or get new ideas, but if you're approaching it as "geez i don't want to memorize thousands of combos" then you're doing it wrong imo.

Chavelo

Really disappointed that I have all this options for a fighting game! Here I was hoping that I would be able to play with only two characters and one button - the mash button. HEY-O, P4A!

Thanks, IGN. I won't pick up my game anytime soon. :D

P4A <3

I-hate-u

All fighting games need practice and non are too accessible. Tekken is good for casuals because of its varied content and is good for the hardcore for its depth.

Let's not forget a freelancer who lends his talents to a wide variety of game sites handled that review.

A freelancer that still does what IGN tells him to if he wants to get paid. Just wait and see how IGN is gonna be one of the few sites where both DoA and Tekken reviews are gonna be outside the average.

CtDVw.gif

I remember reading a while ago that the Snoop stage would always be the first venue you fight in for arcade mode, is it true?

Considering that stage is a pre-order exclusive I don't see how that's possible.

Damn, I think it took about 20 minutes from the time I put the disc in to when the game actually started . . .

Also, I hate games where you have to press START.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can't seem to import music for tekken tunes from a USB drive; there's no import option in the menu that I can see.

Edit: clarification, I'm on Xbox.

And am seeing word online that USB importing is not supported on Xbox. Only music ripped to the hard drive from a CD is visible; not even music from a network media server.

Xbox's janky music features kill the party again.

fubarduck

Back from Gamestop. The store has a new manager and she would not stop pestering me about signing up for the rip-off rewards card the entire time. She even seemed to be agitated that I wasn't going to take up this totally fabulous offer!
It was really, really annoying and just another reminder of why I only go to Gamestop for those few exclusive things like the pre-order bonus. Even as the transaction finished, she asked me why I wasn't interested. I said "I just don't go to Gamestop enough for it to matter" and that finally got her to stop.

I had a nice stack of trade-ins that paid for both copies of the game and still had $35 left over that went towards DOA5 CE. Dreading having to go back there to get that game, but once I do it's buh-bye Gamestop again until whenever exclusive edition or bonus makes me go back.

On another note, she also kept hyping up the "Tekken 6/Soul Calibur V mash-up game," which is obviously a budget-priced collection pack, as a new fighting game. -_-

Awesome avatar! Did you get it from the AM Show Banapass sticker? I think I'm the only American with this one ;)

atk2vb.jpg

Chavelo

Hmmm, I still need to buy both of those games for my fighting game collection. First time I heard of this.

Esura

Banned
Hey, whats this Tekken Web Content stuff and why isn't the www.tekken.com/bonus working? Its on my Gamestop receipt.

That IGN review was pretty terrible, just like most of their reviews. I felt like they didn't go in depth about any of the modes or options this game has to offer, especially online.

So I just got my copy in the mail from EBGames.ca and there's no DLC codes inside, and I haven't gotten any email with the codes DLC codes either.

Anyone else having that problem? Should I wait a bit for an email or should I call them now?

zlatko

Banned
Really? These scores are lower than expected for me. So Tekken 6 is an 8.8 and TTT2 is a 7.5 according to ign?

You gotta review the game you are given at the time. T6 at that time, compared to whatever other 3D fighters were available, probably was an 8.8 to them based off of what they can contrast to and what fighters were offering at the time.

Plus T6 came out before the big hub bubs about testing online modes before a release properly. I think Gears of War 2 is the game that escalated the rage to not trust reviews for online portions of a game that much.

Either way their complaints are a bit odd considering a game like UMvC3 probably out scored TTT2, and didn't offer much of anything to teach you its systems, and that game can get hella complex if you aren't just mashing.

Top Bottom