• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

vocab

I sold P4A day one specifically because of stuff like Junkster is talking about.

Every fighting game has element of surprise where you get hit by something you never seen before. P4a is wayyyyyyyyy more accessible in that area. TT2 has 30+ characters all with 80-120 moves a piece. You are gonna get hit by shit that looks like a low when it looks like a mid, and you you will get beat by random kids online, because defense in 3d fighters is all about knowing the properties of your opponents moves.

Dunno why Junkster is bitching when ITS DAY 1.

If I can scrub out wins in T6 against people with over one thousand games anyone can. I'm god awful at 3d fighters. Q's advice is one of the most basic things to do in a 3d fighter, and you don't need to spend 20000 hours to do so.

MrDenny

I won 8 matches in rank and it ranked me up each time.
Next 20 matches, I only managed to win 1 time.
I don't know why I was getting matched up with people way above my skill level, I haven't rage like this in a long time haha

Bah, they still haven't sent out my new DLC code yet. :/

It's killing me to stare at the game and not be able to do what I want to do yet. (I've waited so long Michelle & Kunimitsu, SO LONG.)

Sayah

Whoever was asking for position reset help. Go to practice mode, you'll see the option for battle position or something. Keep going through until you are asked to turn the battle position on.

sooo I pretty much bought this knowing it would probably be just to show harada support (fgc) and support free dlc practice (free char weeeeee).

I haven't played Tekken since maybe T5 (before DR) and I was a scrub back then. So many moves even though I know most of them are complete garbage.

Doesn't help that I want to play lili and Jaycee but I don't think my playstyle meshes well with theirs.

Clipse

Has there been any word on how long the wait will be for people who didn't pre-order to get the extra characters and other stuff? Had an unexpected bill come up and I'm not sure if I'll be able to pickup my pre-ordered copy. =(

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Yeah, you get money crazy fast in this game. I'm at 9+ mil after doing ghost battles and some online matches.

VariantX

I won 8 matches in rank and it ranked me up each time.
Next 20 matches, I only managed to win 1 time.
I don't know why I was getting matched up with people way above my skill level, I haven't rage like this in a long time haha

Because its a new game and everyone starts from zero as far as rank goes. It takes time for the better individuals to rank up enough to get to the appropriate levels. In a week or so the skill levels will be properly sorted out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Another thing to terrible players like me. I just spent like half an hour in training mode just trying to do ONE of Forrest Law's sample combos (4). I just now managed to do the whole thing once.

Now imagine doing that. Then doing it enough times to commit it to memory. Then doing it enough times in battle that you know when you can actually use it. Then do the same for several more combos. Then do the whole thing again for another character.

Once all that's done, then maybe you can start having fun.

Vice

Another thing to terrible players like me. I just spent like half an hour in training mode just trying to do ONE of Forrest Law's sample combos (4). I just now managed to do the whole thing once.

Now imagine doing that. Then doing it enough times to commit it to memory. Then doing it enough times in battle that you know when you can actually use it. Then do the same for several more combos. Then do the whole thing again for another character.

Once all that's done, then maybe you can start having fun.

Spacing, recognizing situations and patterns, and knowing how to defend is way more important than combos in fighting games.

Spacing, recognizing situations and patterns, and knowing how to defend is way more important than combos in fighting games.

basically this. I can probably compete with most of gaf in P4A with day 1 combos while some of them know 50-60%+ combos (mine do like 15-20%

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Sooo amazon emailed my bonus code and got everything except kunimitsu and ancient ogre. Somehow I thought I was supposed to get all 4 DLC characters. I guess they are Gamestop exclusives right now? Meh

Onemic

Not sure if I agree with that. In 3d games, yes. But in 2d games, if you can't do combos(unless you play persona or play a fundamental heavy character that isn't combo reliant) then you can't really do anything if you don't at least learn a simple combo if you're a beginner.

I got the game! Playing through Fight Mode and I'm stuck on the red Mokujin for the guarding/throw teching tutorial. Throw teching has always been my weakest point in fighters. It may take me a long time to get through this, but Tekken is becoming a lot better for me because of this tutorial. I had Tekken 6, but I didn't enjoy it because of the lack of tutorial, so having this is a blessing.

I hate myself for not preordering though. I need to find extra codes...I want to play as Kunimitsu and try her with Yoshimitsu. I love my samurai, but I guess ninjas will be close enough...

Not sure if I agree with that. In 3d games, yes. But in 2d games, if you can't do combos(unless you play persona or play a fundamental heavy character that isn't combo reliant) then you can't really do anything if you don't at least learn a simple combo if you're a beginner.

I got away with basic dudley in 3s. All I did was play outplay the player.

You can basically get away with it in most fighting games. There are exceptions like mvc2 (if you didn't play spiral, blackheart, etc) and Alpha 3.

Vice

If you're completely new to 2D game there are usually characters who can get by on single hits and special moves like a Guile type. Even in Marvel after you learn how to control space you can get wins just using the magic series against fundamentally challenged players.

Skilletor

Nah, I could beat a beginner in SF with footsies alone.

Onemic

Nah, I could beat a beginner in SF with footsies alone.

Because you're not new to the game.

Give a newbie Yun and tell him to learn spacing and stuff, he wont be able to do shit.

The only way that mentality works is if the player uses a fundamental heavy character that doesn't need to rely on combos. That's why most people use Ryu in SF. It's a good mentality but it isn't universal across all characters due to the way they play.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
What are some of Asuka's and Jun's safer moves to start with? Got shit else to do but practice the basics.

Asuka - Some of her safer moves include:

d/f+3
1+2 (if this hits you get a combo)
b+4,2
f+4

Those are all safe and can lead to some devastating oki and/or combos.

Hey Zaibatsu died. This game must be popular or something.

10 more minutes of work then I finally get to go home and play this game. I think Jack in the Box shall be my fuel for a night of Alisa ownage. Go clock go.

Esura

Banned
Asuka - Some of her safer moves include:

d/f+3
1+2 (if this hits you get a combo)
b+4,2
f+4

Those are all safe and can lead to some devastating oki and/or combos.
Thanks bro.

Quick question on Tekkenology. 1, 2, 3, 4 stands for LP, RP, LK, and RK respectively right?

Makoto

The way this game handles the command list should be the standard in fighting games. It's so brilliant. Trying to do sample combos while referencing the demo playback is an amazing minigame in and of itself for a noob like me. So nice to know I don't have to scour YouTube just to find a characters bnb.

DR2K

Banned
I bought from GS and have all four characters but no bikinis. What gives?

Go to customization and equip them. If not go back to your download list and install the bikini bundle. (you have it)

The way this game handles the command list should be the standard in fighting games. It's so brilliant. Trying to do sample combos while referencing the demo playback is an amazing minigame in and of itself for a noob like me. So nice to know I don't have to scour YouTube just to find a characters bnb.

Nah the way VF and DOA have it should be standard, command training is the best tool to learning every characters move. It's a shame it keeps getting omitted in Namco fighters.

8byte

Banned
I'm not a new Tekken player, I'm just not a frequent player. This is flat out nuts. If the ranking works well Ill try a few more times over the next few weeks. As it is I live near NYC and quite obviously we've got people who sleep with FAQs on their heads. When you're past a certain point in your life and you decide to play some chess for a bit of fun, you wouldn't want 90% of your matches to be against Bobby Fischer.

This isn't a fault of the game. You're not as good as other players. This is how every competitive event is. Play football with your friends, do well. Play football with other peoples friends who play far more than you and are in better shape? Don't complain. Race around the track in your Mazda 6, have fun, do well. Race around the track in your Mazda against a grid of race cars and come in last place...well. Hopefully gets the point across.

Go to customization and equip them. If not go back to your download list and install the bikini bundle. (you have it)

Nah the way VF and DOA have it should be standard, command training is the best tool to learning every characters move. It's a shame it keeps getting omitted in Namco fighters.

What DL list? Xbox here

Onemic

i've gone online with fighting games as soon as i've gotten them before and have had a much better experience than i did with this game. he is right that it is pretty much impossible to even push a button vs someone that knows what they are doing and that is pretty discouraging.

Street Fighter and Marvel are the exact same way. Same with KOF.

Amagon

About 80 matches in mostly in Ghost battles and a little bit of Arcade mode. This game is so good and I'm just a dirty scrub. Did play some of that Combot training though, I'm having a hard time launching characters and connecting bound/wall attacks. I'll get back on the horse tomorrow. Other than that, my right hand is cramped since it's been too long playing on a stick but this game is fucking top tier. I love it!

Westlo

Put my preorder in for the 360 version, hopefully more people play this on this platform than Soul Calibur 5 which had 3 days of "viable" local (Australian) online play before I had to resort to playing Japanese players.

Though I can look @ it this way, I played 150 games + of Tekken 6 pre online patch against American/Japanese players on that shit netcode*, I'm sure playing Japanese to Australia with the SC5 netcode will shit on that experience.

* As soon as the online "fix" went up which showed the amount of bars the connection quality was I couldn't get a single game.

Combos are super important in Tekken in general, but tag in particular with the shorter lifebars per character. It's the difference between doing 20-25% damage per opportunity and doing 50-60%. I'm doing okay with basics against guys who only know combos. But when they know both it's a wrap. I need to grab some combos from somewhere since I've never been good at figuring those out on my own.

Just beat fgtvlive in ranked lol, wonder who I was playing against.

Saya I need a new asshole. I just have no idea what to do against Nina and Anna. I swear I will never be able to block Anna's low sweep in my life. GG to Sdburton too, you got dem Jun/Asuka combos down already. Gotta hit training mode now that I got the 1st dan trophy out of the way.

Top Bottom