• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

LowParry

-sigh- Gonna have to wait till tomorrow to play with folks. I kept insisting we get two PS3s but meh. Jun I've warmed up to a lot lately.

And seeing Leo in a two piece swimsuit is........strrrrrrrrrrange. Woman indeed.

Fantasmo

Not too concerned about the visuals, but I don't like the sound of those load times. You'd think that the mandatory install would alleviate this issue. The PS3 is my only online option, so I guess I'll see for myself when the game arrives tomorrow.

He has both so he's more definitive than I am, but the load times on PS3 are fine, less than 10 seconds for sure, I don't know what he's smoking.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
after a few hours of watching streams, i'm starting to hate tekken tunes. :p

where the hell is my copy i want to play aaarh

Fantasmo

I just realized what a terrible mistake I've made buying this. And I realize that that IGN writer is 100% correct. There is no way to have fun with this if everyone in your local area is a no job arcade shut-in. And now I understand why Street Fighter 4 was highly received and this is getting 8 or less from many reviews. I only skipped Tag 1, 4, and 6 and I have no chance. You cannot MOVE in TTT2 if you don't know the other player's moves or style. This is borderline garbage. It's simply not fun at all. It's day one and I've just about had it with online.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just realized what a terrible mistake I've made buying this. And I realize that that IGN writer is 100% correct. There is no way to have fun with this if everyone in your local area is a no job arcade shut-in. And now I understand why Street Fighter 4 was highly received and this is getting 8 or less from many reviews. I only skipped Tag 1, 4, and 6 and I have no chance. You cannot MOVE in TTT2 if you don't know the other player's moves or style. This is borderline garbage. It's simply not fun at all. It's day one and I've just about had it with online.
Pardon my tone but... ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

How about instead of being whiny as fuck about it you list the characters you are interested in, ask for some advice, look at the bigginers tip thing on this very OT first page and so on. There are so many easy ways to get advice that it's stupid as hell to be straight up CRYING about the game on DAY 1

Grats you played hardly any tekken, guess what you are going to get slapped around like a rag doll from people that have an idea of whats up SAME FOR ANY GAME. Collect yourself watch some videos ask for tips. Don't go off on some rant saying how the game is garbage when it's clearly not.

Nori Chan

fuck fight lab is kicking my ass and starting to piss me off.

I'm not understanding wtf is a punisher. I block and then try to hit them and nothing.

fucking shit man.

Yeah man that one pissed me off.

The next one is even worse with the stupid power ranger knocking you back for ages

AND LMAO AT THE 5TH STAGE BOSSES HAHAH

Fantasmo

Pardon my tone but... ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

How about instead of being whiny as fuck about it you list the characters you are interested in, ask for some advice, look at the bigginers tip thing on this very OT first page and so on. There are so many easy ways to get advice that it's stupid as hell to be straight up CRYING about the game on DAY 1

Grats you played hardly any tekken, guess what you are going to get slapped around like a rag doll from people that have an idea of whats up SAME FOR ANY GAME. Collect yourself watch some videos ask for tips. Don't go off on some rant saying how the game is garbage when it's clearly not.

I played you years ago in SF4. You play fighters religiously, I play for fun. Getting your ass beat and not being able to move is not fun. I thought there'd be some casuals. There aren't. I'll give it to the weekend. Don't call me a whiny little bitch I'm not four, okay jerk??

Don't condescend me Q and no I won't pardon your tone, take it down a few notches.

DR2K

Banned

I kind of said the same thing in my head when I played against an opponent that danced around me, but after that I just went into training and started practicing. Just being more aware of my movement improved my matches.

CPS2

I see your point but i don't think the IGN review did a good job of saying why a lot of characters/moves/modes made it a bad experience for them, or why it should be considered a negative trait of the game. I can see it being overwhelming and especially considering a lot of the player base has a MASSIVE head start via T6 and TTT2 arcade, its not exactly a level playing field. If they actually considered dumbing it down for new players (ala SF4 perhaps? i liked SF4 tho) i'd consider that a weak point of the game and it'd be easy to explain why.

GFEric

Banned
Is combot training bugged? Stage 5 after I do a tag throw, it just sits there with no more prompts.

Guys come out with different colored suits that correspond to the different types of moves you'are supposed to do. You'll notice when it teaches you the three different tag moves they each are wearing a different colored suit. So when it stops giving your prompts you have to use the right move, depending on suit color, to eliminate them.

MrDenny

Maybe try practicing instead of going straight to online mode?
I'm assuming you've been playing rank, which I don't suggest if your not that good because you will rage haha

Final stage of fight lab is hilarious.
Ryu and Ken costumes followed by Akuma. lol. I was hoping that he would have his own fighting style to get a taste of whats to come in TxSf.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I played you years ago in SF4. You play fighters religiously, I play for fun. Getting your ass beat and not being able to move is not fun. I thought there'd be some casuals. There aren't. I'll give it to the weekend. Don't call me a whiny little bitch I'm not four, okay jerk??

Don't condescend me Q and no I won't pardon your tone, take it down a few notches.

I'll just quote what I said earlier.

Learn how to move, figure out your fast safe moves, figure out which moves launch, figure out which moves launch or stagger on counter hit, figure out a simple easy to do combo for each launcher/counter hit situation.

In that order for starters
You can do all this in about an hour at max per character. Faster with guides. Jumping straight into online in ANY FIGHTING GAME will get you mauled apart. Specially on day one when everyone is in the same section of the online ranks.

The key thing to learn in tekken is movement. It's a very very footsie heavy 3d fighter

Dereck

Why would you immediately go online if you're new to a fighting game?

Also, just because you lose or win doesn't mean anything, let's say you won every match you fought online, would that really change the perception?

yeah I suck balls at this (and every other fighting game..lol) but c'mon do you expect to jump in a contend right away after not playing any of the previous games?

Tekken has never really been an easy series and if you are up against someone who knows what the fuck they are doing..then yeah you will get ate.

It's not the game's fault bro.

Level up or move on basically. Or just play offline for a bit.

or find players of equal skills to you.

Ferrio

Banned
Guys come out with different colored suits that correspond to the different types of moves you'are supposed to do. You'll notice when it teaches you the three different tag moves they each are wearing a different colored suit. So when it stops giving your prompts you have to use the right move, depending on suit color, to eliminate them.

Ah did they even say that?

So you don't know how to play and you're frustrated that you're getting your ass handed to you online? Learn how to play first. Do some ghost battles, do fight lab. Unlock shit. It's all fun. Don't know why people jump straight online and expect to win.

CSX

i just wanna say...when did everyone got good at tekken? What happened to DRO where 80% of everyone i was playing were semi mashers?

im 10-2 counting nonranked matches but i only played against 2 people taht were beginners. Everyone else knew what they were doing. Me with lack of pvp experience is sweating so hard to get the wins lol

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Yeah, you can do pair play in Practice.

Yes, Nina will take time to learn.

Well, he can do a lot of other cool stuff. Lasers and everything, lol.

This might be good:

L1: LP+RK
L2: LP+RP
R1: Tag button
R2: LK+RK

Thanks for the response man. How do you set up pair play in practice? I looked everywhere for the settings?

I'm going to have to agree that going online immediately in a genre you barely play, in a series you haven't played in ages and getting upset that you're getting kinda tooled on is a little unreasonable. Stick to Ghost Battle/Arcade or get into a lobby with "scrub" GAF (their own phrase) and play with them, but if you jump right into ranked, I'm not sure what you're expecting. It's day 1. Everyone, both good and bad, are at the same "rank" currently. It's going to take a week or two for all the good players to get their ranks up and be outside of your matchmaking range.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
So I wanted to play some online but I was greeted with the sign in prompt, "weird, I have my PS3 set to automatic sign-in", I signed in then... "A new system update is required for online play."

That's right, 4.25 has been rolled out since I updated this afternoon! Two updates in the same day! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee

SMFH SONY

Sayah

It's your own fault for heading straight to online matches when you have no experience whatsoever with the series. How about you go to practice, train and stop complaining.

LowParry

I'm casual as fuck when it comes to fighters. Unless you're a tourny player, stop treating the game as such and play to win as an Online Warrior. But see, your problem is you skipped Tag 1, 4 and 6. And you're expecting to be the shit coming into TTT2 fresh? Man. Lower them expectations. Learn the system. Learn the characters. It's miller time.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So you don't know how to play and you're frustrated that you're getting your ass handed to you online? Learn how to play first. Do some ghost battles, do fight lab. Unlock shit. It's all fun. Don't know why people jump straight online and expect to win.

Hell Ghost Battle in this game is a hell of a lot of fun and a great way to just get into the groove. It's not as repetitive as grinding an arcade mode, seeing the constant stream of customized characters with varying behavior. With the bonus of unlocking rewards constantly.

"Playing fighters for fun" is fine, but it's a mistake to indulge the condescending notion that everyone who is better than you is a 'no job shut-in'. That's the ridiculous image people who send hate mail for losing have in their mind.

Raonak

Banned

so let me get this straight....

you jump straight into online without playing tekken for years, and complain about getting eliminated.

go play some ghost/practise/combot mode until you get better?
Ghost mode is especially fun, feels like you're actually playing online, but not as hard.

Fantasmo

I see your point but i don't think the IGN review did a good job of saying why a lot of characters/moves/modes made it a bad experience for them, or why it should be considered a negative trait of the game. I can see it being overwhelming and especially considering a lot of the player base has a MASSIVE head start via T6 and TTT2 arcade, its not exactly a level playing field. If they actually considered dumbing it down for new players (ala SF4 perhaps? i liked SF4 tho) i'd consider that a weak point of the game and it'd be easy to explain why.

He didn't you're right. He should have explained it more. It doesn't deserve docking on the surface, the presentation is amazing.

Maybe try practicing instead of going straight to online mode?
I'm assuming you've been playing rank, which I don't suggest if your not that good because you will rage haha

I'm not a new Tekken player, I'm just not a frequent player. This is flat out nuts. If the ranking works well Ill try a few more times over the next few weeks. As it is I live near NYC and quite obviously we've got people who sleep with FAQs on their heads. When you're past a certain point in your life and you decide to play some chess for a bit of fun, you wouldn't want 90% of your matches to be against Bobby Fischer.

quanchu

i've gone online with fighting games as soon as i've gotten them before and have had a much better experience than i did with this game. he is right that it is pretty much impossible to even push a button vs someone that knows what they are doing and that is pretty discouraging.

Vice

i've gone online with fighting games as soon as i've gotten them before and have had a much better experience than i did with this game. he is right that it is pretty much impossible to even push a button vs someone that knows what they are doing and that is pretty discouraging.

I'm in the same boat as you. If you're on XBL we could play and scrub it out together.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I sold P4A day one specifically because of stuff like Junkster is talking about. For that reason, I'm just going to forget TTT2 even has an online mode for the next several months, until I'm at least good enough to not embarrass myself. I suggest you do the same, Junkster. There's PLENTY to do offline.

Also, once more, how do you reset position in Training Mode?

"i've gone online with fighting games as soon as i've gotten them before and have had a much better experience than i did with this game. he is right that it is pretty much impossible to even push a button vs someone that knows what they are doing and that is pretty discouraging."

This is the same with every fighting game if you're below a certain level.

Skilletor

He didn't you're right. He should have explained it more. It doesn't deserve docking on the surface, the presentation is amazing.

I'm not a new Tekken player, I'm just not a frequent player. This is flat out nuts. If the ranking works well Ill try a few more times over the next few weeks. As it is I live near NYC and quite obviously we've got people who sleep with FAQs on their heads. When you're past a certain point in your life and you decide to play some chess for a bit of fun, you wouldn't want 90% of your matches to be against Bobby Fischer.

Sounds like you're not a good player and you THINK these people you're losing to are really good just because you don't know what you're doing.

raven777

I can understand your point as well. I love tekken but I suck and I am not frequent player as well. Almost completely skipped T6 and now TTT2 has just overwhelming cast. I just played against Zafina/Christie player and I had no idea how to play against Zafina because I never played her played against her. For me it will definitely take time to get adjusted to, because I can't just master my own characters but I need to know about other characters as well.

But having said that, I love the experience so far. Interface is good looking, the tag assault combos are very hard but super cool.

But only problem is the frequent small loadings between menus. I have PS3 version so I don't know how 360 version works but I wish there were less loadings, like navigating menus and selecting characters.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
-sigh- Gonna have to wait till tomorrow to play with folks. I kept insisting we get two PS3s but meh. Jun I've warmed up to a lot lately.

And seeing Leo in a two piece swimsuit is........strrrrrrrrrrange. Woman indeed.

Don't sweat it man, and why are you trying to get in my Kool-aid? :p

welcome to Tekken.

It comes with the territory.

Not a jump in and win thing.

Plus due to it's similarity to a game (T6) that a lot of them played religiously. That means the top men are far more capable at this time.

Hopefully it levels out but if not...then level up or just stay offline for now lol.

I'm not touching online until I have a clue of what I'm doing thank to these horror stories.

But someone said in here I think, that don't expect to win. Set your goals lower (win a round...land a combo..don't get peed on) and go from there. Don't expect to win.

LowParry

Don't sweat it man, and why are you trying to get in my Kool-aid? :p

I'm telling ya. There's something so elegant about Jun that I really enjoy seeing when I use her. I may go with a Jun/Lili combo and keep at it with my Xiaoyu/Kuni team. Still on the fence about Leo though. But hey, help me with Jun and I'll help ya with Kuni :D

Why don't you just play with all the noob Tekken players in this thread if randos online are too hard

Psh. We're #esports all over this bitch. Noob my ass.

VariantX

Better hit up all those other modes and get a feel for it first. Takes quite a bit of time to just learn a single character well enough just to be decent with them.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I'm telling ya. There's something so elegant about Jun that I really enjoy seeing when I use her. I may go with a Jun/Lili combo and keep at it with my Xiaoyu/Kuni team. Still on the fence about Leo though. But hey, help me with Jun and I'll help ya with Kuni :D

Jun is straight up class personified. Girl does everything with elegance. I may take you up on that Kuni offer though, there's an online practice mode where we can just go at it without stopping right? If so we can just practice our shit.

Exr

Fighters nowadays require more of an investment. With online play and a resurgence of the genre over the past few years, everyone is pretty familiar with the games and the information on combos and mechanics are out for everyone worldwide. That said junkster you can't really expect to head online without having a degree of familiarity with some characters. The game has a ghost mode so offline can still be fun for casual play.

Top Bottom