• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Madness

People talking about permanent burn-in on LG OLED at AVS, not sure if they mean it like "it can still happen" if you use it as PC monitor, or if someone have had this happen.
I don't plan to use it as monitor, only for media but just how prone are the OLEDs to burn-in? I wish there was some beginners guide to OLED, I also would like to know if the OLED Brightness has any effect on how fast the burn-in happens or not, I guess it's marginal.

It exists. But permanent burn in is very very rare. This is not like the plasma and rear projection days. Sure if you have a static image long enough or something that is routinely in the same area day in and day out for months, you might get heavy image retention that is very difficult to clear or get rid of. But most image retention is temporary, there are ways to clear it within minutes. It is why burn-in isn't really used so much as the term image retention is now better. But a lot of people have had OLED sets for over 1-2 years now, no real permanent issues.

Thanati

Has anyone seen/used the Sony XBR55X900E 55-Inch? If so, what are your thoughts? I'm tempted to pick one up but could do with some usage comments.

Madness

Has anyone seen/used the Sony XBR55X900E 55-Inch? If so, what are your thoughts? I'm tempted to pick one up but could do with some usage comments.

It is perhaps the best mid to mid high end television you can get. Great black levels, solid 120hz panel, good input lag and really good sustained nit brightness. Check out the rtings review. I mean much better than the MU8000, Q7F and others.

Kudo

It exists. But permanent burn in is very very rare. This is not like the plasma and rear projection days. Sure if you have a static image long enough or something that is routinely in the same area day in and day out for months, you might get heavy image retention that is very difficult to clear or get rid of. But most image retention is temporary, there are ways to clear it within minutes. It is why burn-in isn't really used so much as the term image retention is now better. But a lot of people have had OLED sets for over 1-2 years now, no real permanent issues.

So is it more of a non-issue if you're just aware of it and take some precautions? Our old plasma had permanent burn-in on the area where subtitles are on cable television, as parents tend to leave it on for nights etc. (The area was darker than rest of the TV)
The OLED is for my sole usage so I'd assume something like that won't be a problem?

Kyoufu

I've used my OLED TV for 12 months, at least 5500 hours used, most of it gaming with no issues regarding image retention or burn-in. I play a lot of HUD-heavy games too, like Destiny, Elite: Dangerous and others.

Kudo

I've used my OLED TV for 12 months, at least 5500 hours used, most of it gaming with no issues regarding image retention or burn-in. I play a lot of HUD-heavy games too, like Destiny, Elite: Dangerous and others.

OK, this sounds great. Do you have LG? I'm just about to reserve LG B6 for myself, great deal for 1400€ in my country.
It'll come month later but I can deal with that, at least I'll get it before Destiny 2, Super Mario etc.

Mrbob

Are there any 4K Blu Ray players which support DV and don't cost over half a grand? Has Sony said anything about supporting it on their player>
There have been people over at the avs forum who say they have talked to Sony support and they state DV is coming in a firmware update for their x800 4k player. This is only a rumor for now. Hope it's true because the player has high marks overall and is half the price of the Oppo.

LG 970 is going to get a DV update.

Best mid-range tv to buy with the only major drawback lack of Dolby vision support. Whether this matters or not will vary from person to person since the tv supports the more well established standard hdr10. Xbox and PS4 games are hdr10. All 4k uhd disc movie are required to have hdr10. Streaming is actually where DV seems to have an advantage right now but maybe not for long. All Vudu streamed uhd movies are currently only in Dolby Vision but hdr10 support is supposed to come by years end. Some Netflix stuff like Daredevil is dolby vision only right now for hdr but it sounds like an hdr10 version is done, just not deployed yet. Not sure if Sony is going to update the x900e with Dolby vision.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Is it a good player?

some issues with noisy disc drives apparently.

Frys had a huge (nearly 40% off sale on them) so I'd keep an eye on their newsletters as it'll probably happen again, unless you want a DV player now. (and even then, the LG doesn't have the update yet).

mitchman

Gold Member
I have serious issues with my PS4 Pro and my B6. The Tv recognize some kind of signal, but still claims there's no signal. If I start the PS4, my TV turns on, but no image/audio. Any ideas?

- Check the firmware on the TV, make sure it's the latest.
- Enable UHD Mode on the TV.
- Try different cables.

Same TV with the PS4 Pro here, no issues.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The X930E has the X1 extreme

Yes, it includes the 930E (which I have), 940E, A1E, and the Z9D.

Ah, I see. On the other hand the X930E lacks FALD (right?), so is actually slightly inferior to the X900E in that specific regard if I've understood correctly. Or does it make up for that with its own dimming tech?

Best mid-range tv to buy with the only major drawback lack of Dolby vision support. Whether this matters or not will vary from person to person since the tv supports the more well established standard hdr10. Xbox and PS4 games are hdr10. All 4k uhd disc movie are required to have hdr10. Streaming is actually where DV seems to have an advantage right now but maybe not for long. All Vudu streamed uhd movies are currently only in Dolby Vision but hdr10 support is supposed to come by years end. Some Netflix stuff like Daredevil is dolby vision only right now for hdr but it sounds like an hdr10 version is done, just not deployed yet. Not sure if Sony is going to update the x900e with Dolby vision.

Yeah, this is what I'm now a bit worried about, lol... Do we think DV is going to become a must-have anytime soon? I guess it's impossible to say. But it seems like content producers would primarily want to support the most wide-spread standard that's supported by all HDR TVs (HDR10)? Then maybe DV in addition to that, but DV only should realistically be rare?

Marmelade

Ah, I see. On the other hand the X930E lacks FALD (right?), so is actually slightly inferior to the X900E in that specific regard if I've understood correctly.

The 930E is edge-lit but actually has a better local-dimming solution

From rtings review
"The local dimming feature of the X930E works surprisingly well for an edge-lit TV. Blooming still happens when there is a very bright highlight, but it looks much better than on the 2016 X930D when compared side by side, even though the X930E is much brighter. The local dimming reacts really fast and you don't really see the changing of zones when the small white dot is moving fast.
When compared to the X900E, a full array backlight TV with local dimming, the X930E local dimming feels more refined and in the end, the result looks a bit better."

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The 930E is edge-lit but actually has a better local-dimming solution

From rtings review
"The local dimming feature of the X930E works surprisingly well for an edge-lit TV. Blooming still happens when there is a very bright highlight, but it looks much better than on the 2016 X930D when compared side by side, even though the X930E is much brighter. The local dimming reacts really fast and you don't really see the changing of zones when the small white dot is moving fast.
When compared to the X900E, a full array backlight TV with local dimming, the X930E local dimming feels more refined and in the end, the result looks a bit better."

Yeah, just saw that! Interesting. Are there any other good reasons to go for the 930 over the 900? It's weird that it has better input lag than the 900 at 4K but worse at 1080p. Although I guess once I get a PS4 Pro it will be all 4K (signal-wise) from there on out, so 1080p performance shouldn't really matter. There is a deal on it at a Swedish retailer this week, which makes it only a few thousand SEK more expensive than the 900.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sony wizards managed to create "double edge lit" solution that allows X930E to create isolated illuminated zones.

X930E is definetley their highend MIDRANGE offering, being a bit better than X900E.

Assanova

People talking about permanent burn-in on LG OLED at AVS, not sure if they mean it like "it can still happen" if you use it as PC monitor, or if someone have had this happen.
I don't plan to use it as monitor, only for media but just how prone are the OLEDs to burn-in? I wish there was some beginners guide to OLED, I also would like to know if the OLED Brightness has any effect on how fast the burn-in happens or not, I guess it's marginal.

I bought an open box LGB6 from Best Buy a couple of days ago, noticed that it had burn in and promptly returned it. Just isn't worth the risk. I swapped it for a brand new Sony X900e and the picture still looks amazing.

Theonik

Ah, I see. On the other hand the X930E lacks FALD (right?), so is actually slightly inferior to the X900E in that specific regard if I've understood correctly. Or does it make up for that with its own dimming tech?
The X93E is an edge-lit display but has a better local dimming implementation than the direct lit X90E. More zones, and it gets considerably brighter. Combined with significantly better processing owning to the X1 Extreme chip it's a much better set. The upscaler in the X1 Extreme is the best on the market atm.

Yeah, this is what I'm now a bit worried about, lol... Do we think DV is going to become a must-have anytime soon? I guess it's impossible to say. But it seems like content producers would primarily want to support the most wide-spread standard that's supported by all HDR TVs (HDR10)? Then maybe DV in addition to that, but DV only should realistically be rare?
UHD BD requires HDR10 to be supported and DV streams have an HDR10 core video track. Realistically this format war was already decided when Dolby decided to make it a hardware only solution but having both isn't really a bad thing even though DV is still largely useless.

Marmelade

Yeah, just saw that! Interesting. Are there any other good reasons to go for the 930 over the 900? It's weird that it has better input lag than the 900 at 4K but worse at 1080p. Although I guess once I get a PS4 Pro it will be all 4K (signal-wise) from there on out, so 1080p performance shouldn't really matter. There is a deal on it at a Swedish retailer this week, which makes it only a few thousand SEK more expensive than the 900.

Depends on the actual price difference between the two and your priorities.
The XE9305 has a slightly better local dimming, can get much brighter watching HDR content, has the X1 Extreme chip and will get DV support.
Those are the main differences.

Edit: Here in France the the XE9305 is around 500€ more expensive than the XE9005 and that brings it to LG C7 price level (slightly higher even), so while I'd consider the XE9005 a good value I wouldn't even look at the XE9305

Lima

Yeah you will never see something that's only Dolby Vision. And going forward the standard will be HDR10+ which means even fewer DV content going forward.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Depends on the actual price difference between the two and your priorities.
The XE9305 has a slightly better local dimming, can get much brighter watching HDR content, has the X1 Extreme chip and will get DV support.
Those are the main differences.

Edit: Here in France the the XE9305 is around 500€ more expensive than the XE9005 and that brings it to LG C7 price level (slightly higher even), so while I'd consider the XE9005 a good value I wouldn't even look at the XE9305

With the current deal price on the 55" 930, it's around 20K SEK, while the 900 is 17K (standard price). So a 3K difference (just over 300€). What would be super nice is a deal on the 900...

Yeah you will never see something that's only Dolby Vision. And going forward the standard will be HDR10+ which means even fewer DV content going forward.

Great, another standard! What does HDR10+ bring to the table? Does it require better hardware, or could the 900 be updated to support it?

EDIT: Ok, it basically adds the metadata stuff from DV. Which I would guess means it does require additional/better hardware.

blakdeth

Anyone else experiencing the "restoring secure network connection" issue with the Vudu app on the LG B6 OLED?

Here's a link to the issue on the Vudu forums.

I've only tried wireless and wired via a wireless Ethernet bridge. I don't have the ability to run Ethernet directly from my router to my display.

Here's hoping that some Gaf members have a workaround until LG can issue a firmware update.

Anyone here have experience or input on the Vizio M series? I'm tempted to grab the 70" model and have read the rtngs.com review which says it's decent.

I like that one for it's size/cost/performance. I sit about 10-12 feet from the TV currently. Every other decent 70"+ TV seems to be at least $2,500 or more.

Edit - I mostly use that TV for movie watching and game playing in my basement.

Just got mine the other day. I have only used it for a few hours so far, but I absolutely love it. It is my first 4kTV, so I can't really compare it to other models, but it is a great TV, especially paired with my PS4 PRO. Games looks amazing on this thing, even games that are 1080p and don't have a pro mode. I have not noticed any input lag at all either. It feels the same to me as my old Samsung Plasma that I had. According to reviews this TV and other high end Sony sets are supposed to be really good at up-scaling and motion handling and that has been my experience so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just got mine the other day. I have only used it for a few hours so far, but I absolutely love it. It is my first 4kTV, so I can't really compare it to other models, but it is a great TV, especially paired with my PS4 PRO. Games looks amazing on this thing, even games that are 1080p and don't have a pro mode. I have not noticed any input lag at all either. It feels the same to me as my old Samsung Plasma that I had. According to reviews this TV and other high end Sony sets are supposed to be really good at up-scaling and motion handling and that has been my experience so far.

A bit off-topic, but when playing a 1080p game on the Pro, is the signal 1080p (so the TV has to upscale it), or does the Pro upscale everything to 4K the same way that the standard PS4 upscales everything to 1080p?

A bit off-topic, but when playing a 1080p game on the Pro, is the signal 1080p (so the TV has to upscale it), or does the Pro upscale everything to 4K the same way that the standard PS4 upscales everything to 1080p?

I want to say the PS4 Pro is upscaling? I will have to check settings though. It looks really incredible though, whatever is doing the upscaling.

I also tested a regular old 1080p bluray in the PS4 Pro and it also looked amazing. I never saw that level of detail before on my 50" 1080p Plasma.

Kudo

I bought an open box LGB6 from Best Buy a couple of days ago, noticed that it had burn in and promptly returned it. Just isn't worth the risk. I swapped it for a brand new Sony X900e and the picture still looks amazing.

That's sad to hear, I've seen some people who bought open box or store demo displays have some problems too.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242927562&postcount=9163
And that's exactly what I fear, mine will be completely new but as it isn't risk free, feels weird to put so much money to it. I'll prolly still do the gamble as I'm sucker for the image quality and feel somewhat confident I can keep mine clean..
Got few more days time to decide.

Mrbob

I don't believe this is true. HDR10+ is a Samsung pushed format that requires HDMI 2.1 (unless it's streaming content). The only guarantee is that HDR10 is required on every disc. There is no such guarantee for HDR10+. I think we are heading to a future where hdr will end up like audio, you will have HDR10, HDR10+, and DV on each disc. Because if there is a Dolby Vision version available it should be fairly easy to create a hdr10+ version, and vice versa.

Dolby Vision is more ubiquitous than HDR10 at streaming sites (Netflix, Amazing, Vudu) so I don't think it's going anywhere. These places aren't dropping Dolby Vision but adding HDR10 support. Plus Amazon is going to add hdr10+ support. I think this is another sign all three formats will stay around and will be chosen by the end user.

LeleSocho

Banned

For 2/3 of the year you had your tv on 24h a day? What the heck do you do with it? I hardly believe that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll be moving into a new house hopefully at the end of August and once I get settled I'm probably picking up a nice new TV for the home theater I'll be setting up in the basement. Now the question is do I go really nice mid range set like the Sony 930E or do I splurge and get something high end like a really nice OLED set? Decisions decisions.

Klotera

I don't believe this is true. HDR10+ is a Samsung pushed format that requires HDMI 2.1 (unless it's streaming content). The only guarantee is that HDR10 is required on every disc. There is no such guarantee for HDR10+. I think we are heading to a future where hdr will end up like audio, you will have HDR10, HDR10+, and DV on each disc. Because if there is a Dolby Vision version available it should be fairly easy to create a hdr10+ version, and vice versa.

Dolby Vision is more ubiquitous than HDR10 at streaming sites (Netflix, Amazing, Vudu) so I don't think it's going anywhere. These places aren't dropping Dolby Vision but adding HDR10 support. Plus Amazon is going to add hdr10+ support. I think this is another sign all three formats will stay around and will be chosen by the end user.

There is talk that existing HDMI 2.0a sets could be firmware updated to support the enhanced metadata part of the 2.1 spec, even if they don't have bandwidth for the full feature set of HDMI 2.1. Kind of like how regular PS4 is doing HDR over HDMI 1.4a. Not that that means anything in relation to Dolby Vision, just worth noting that it may be possible.

I'll be moving into a new house hopefully at the end of August and once I get settled I'm probably picking up a nice new TV for the home theater I'll be setting up in the basement. Now the question is do I go really nice mid range set like the Sony 930E or do I splurge and get something high end like a really nice OLED set? Decisions decisions.

By "Home Theater" do you mean AVR? Because if so, you'll likely also need to plan to upgrade your AVR as well...

Leedogg

A little off topic, but if an AVR pass through a HDR signal. Will it pass through a Dolby Vision Signal also? Just wondering if my Sony STR-DN1070 is good to go.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
By "Home Theater" do you mean AVR? Because if so, you'll likely also need to plan to upgrade your AVR as well...

As of now the Basement is only partially finished and kind of sloppily done so I'll be redoing everything from floor to ceiling, the actual hardware will come later including a sound system, etc. I'll even be installing a motorized track system for curtains to give things a classy look. I'm actually debating going for a really nice projector instead mostly because my company produces movie theater quality projection screens but I'm still not sure which direction I'll go.

Mrbob

A little off topic, but if an AVR pass through a HDR signal. Will it pass through a Dolby Vision Signal also? Just wondering if my Sony STR-DN1070 is good to go.
The receiver has to offer dv pass through and it doesn't look like your Sony currently does. Don't know if it will in the future. What tv do you have.

There is talk that existing HDMI 2.0a sets could be firmware updated to support the enhanced metadata part of the 2.1 spec, even if they don't have bandwidth for the full feature set of HDMI 2.1. Kind of like how regular PS4 is doing HDR over HDMI 1.4a. Not that that means anything in relation to Dolby Vision, just worth noting that it may be possible.
That would be cool and I'm sure LG will add support for hdr10+ if this is the case. I just wanted to point out before hdr10+ is in the same situation as Dolby Vision since neither are required.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Hmm. I doubt I will be buying many UHD HDR BDs (don't even have a player for them), so my main sources of HDR content will be games and streaming services. I sure hope it doesn't end up so that Netflix et al go with DV and skip HDR10 for future content. That would suck if I buy a TV that doesn't do DV. But if they will support both for the foreseeable future, great!

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Off topic again, but how are you liking that receiver? I'm strongly considering getting one as an upgrade to my old Sony one (which is so old it doesn't even have HDMI), to go with most likely a 55XE9005. I know there's a newer model this year (1080), but it's significantly more expensive, and AFAIK all it really adds over the 1070 is Dolby Atmos, and such a setup isn't possible in my space anyway. So I don't know why I wouldn't just go with the cheaper 1070.

Does all the signal passthrough and stuff work well? Does it add any input lag versus going directly into the TV?

Mrbob

Is Daredevil hdr10 now available? Good.

Hmm. I doubt I will be buying many UHD HDR BDs (don't even have a player for them), so my main sources of HDR content will be games and streaming services. I sure hope it doesn't end up so that Netflix et al go with DV and skip HDR10 for future content. That would suck if I buy a TV that doesn't do DV. But if they will support both for the foreseeable future, great!

It's hard to say as there is no requirement for hdr on streaming sites. The only thing I can comment on is my gut feeling that both will be supported. There are too many hdr10 tvs for it to be ignored.
At the very least though I think if your device is hdr10 you will be set with like 85 to 90 percent of all hdr content now and in the future.

We haven't even talked about the hlg hdr format either lol. That's one of the reasons I went with lg OLED because the tv supports all these different formats. Also why I grabbed the Yamaha receiver I currently have as it's adding hlg and Dolby Vision pass through later this year in addition to current hdr10 pass through.

But ultimately as long as you have hdr10 you should be good to go for the most part. It's as close to a standard as we'll see.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
isn't dolby vision actually supposed to be better for the lower spec-ed sets that can't get as bright?

It's better in general because it maps more effectively to the display's capabilities.

Otherwise HDR10 is the Wild West with different people mastering and interpreting said mastering differently. So you end up with wildly different results based on content, display and any other equipment involved

The problem is settling on what's accurate, and Dolby Vision works out of the box way better in that regard.

(That isn't to say hdr10 is bad; just that Dolby solved a lot of issues that HDR10 didn't really address hence the need for this HDR10+)

I'm ecstatic Dolby Vision discs are hitting.

Kyoufu

For 2/3 of the year you had your tv on 24h a day? What the heck do you do with it? I hardly believe that.

I'm going off the panel cleaner thing that kicks in after every 2500 hours or so. At least I think that's how long it takes for that to trigger. I've had 2 of those and that was a while ago so if they trigger after 2500 hours then I'm at 5000+ hours by now.

For some reason LG decided that UK models shouldn't have the total usage time displayed in the settings so I can't check how many hours I've actually used it for.

As of now the Basement is only partially finished and kind of sloppily done so I'll be redoing everything from floor to ceiling, the actual hardware will come later including a sound system, etc. I'll even be installing a motorized track system for curtains to give things a classy look. I'm actually debating going for a really nice projector instead mostly because my company produces movie theater quality projection screens but I'm still not sure which direction I'll go.

Ahhhh, got you. Was thinking you maybe had to plan to replace an AVR, but spend it all on the TV! =)

Mrbob

Does anyone have Atmos speakers set up? Curious because the Vudu UHD stream of Mad Max supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I noticed the new Netflix movie Okja supports both as well. This might push me to get a couple Atmos speakers in the next year as it seems Dolby Vision and Atmos are starting to show up as a packaged deal on Netflix and Vudu.

I have to say the audio and video quality at Vudu for the uhd stream is pretty good for Mad Max. I was surprised at how well the audio mix was on my 5.1 setup. Many times the audio is lacking somewhat in streamed content but not Mad Max Fury Road uhd at Vudu.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Does anyone have Atmos speakers set up? Curious because the Vudu UHD stream of Mad Max supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I noticed the new Netflix movie Okja supports both as well. This might push me to get a couple Atmos speakers in the next year as it seems Dolby Vision and Atmos are starting to show up as a packaged deal on Netflix and Vudu.

I have to say the audio and video quality at Vudu for the uhd stream is pretty good for Mad Max. I was surprised at how well the audio mix was on my 5.1 setup. Many times the audio is lacking somewhat in streamed content but not Mad Max Fury Road uhd at Vudu.

I have a couple upfiring / reflective ones, that do a pretty decent job in increasing the height of the soundstage.

They are a relatively cheap investment if your AVR supports it and you find on sale.

I'd love to eventually have ceiling hung ones, but that's down the line in a more permanent space

Top Bottom