• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does anyone have Atmos speakers set up? Curious because the Vudu UHD stream of Mad Max supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. I noticed the new Netflix movie Okja supports both as well. This might push me to get a couple Atmos speakers in the next year as it seems Dolby Vision and Atmos are starting to show up as a packaged deal on Netflix and Vudu.

I have to say the audio and video quality at Vudu for the uhd stream is pretty good for Mad Max. I was surprised at how well the audio mix was on my 5.1 setup. Many times the audio is lacking somewhat in streamed content but not Mad Max Fury Road uhd at Vudu.

"Atmos speakers"? Is that a thing? I thought Atmos was just another extended surround standard, not anything to do with specific speaker hardware?

"Atmos speakers"? Is that a thing? I thought Atmos was just another extended surround standard, not anything to do with specific speaker hardware?

They do have tower and bookshelf speakers that have top firing speakers if you want atmos with out mounting speakers up high.

Mrbob

I have a couple upfiring / reflective ones, that do a pretty decent job in increasing the height of the soundstage.

They are a relatively cheap investment if your AVR supports it and you find on sale.

I'd love to eventually have ceiling hung ones, but that's down the line in a more permanent space

Nice. Which ones did you purchase?

Yeah I believe you can buy any speakers. I'm looking at a couple up firing speakers that I can place on my floor stand speakers. Search dolby atmos speakers at amazon and you'll see a couple different types pop up.

Thanati

It is perhaps the best mid to mid high end television you can get. Great black levels, solid 120hz panel, good input lag and really good sustained nit brightness. Check out the rtings review. I mean much better than the MU8000, Q7F and others.

Hey man, thanks for the note, much appreciated!

Thanati

Just got mine the other day. I have only used it for a few hours so far, but I absolutely love it. It is my first 4kTV, so I can't really compare it to other models, but it is a great TV, especially paired with my PS4 PRO. Games looks amazing on this thing, even games that are 1080p and don't have a pro mode. I have not noticed any input lag at all either. It feels the same to me as my old Samsung Plasma that I had. According to reviews this TV and other high end Sony sets are supposed to be really good at up-scaling and motion handling and that has been my experience so far.

Oh man, now i'm really tempted. Thanks!

Stiler

Atmos is an expanded sound setup.

There are three ways you can have an atmos setup right now.

1. The easiest and cheapest way is upward firing atmos speaker modules. These are speakers that are meant to fire sound upward into your ceiling which then reflects it downward. Some examples are the Elac A4's, KEF R50, Def Tech A60.
http://avproductreviews.com/elac-a4-debut-review

You simply place them on top of your front left/right and rear left/right speakers (or you can put them on their own stands) so that they reflect and then hit right in front/behind your listening area.

2. Height Speakers. These are speakers you place on the wall in front and then behind you.
IE:
https://www.svsound.com/pages/prime-elevation

3. The best, but most expensive, are in-ceiling speakers placed in the ceiling.

Atmos is all about creating a "bubble" of sound so you hear things above and around you. Instead of sound being a circle around you (IE front/side/rear) you open up the heights and hear things overhead.

When it comes to sets you can start with just two atmos speakers (either in front or back) then go to four (2 front 2 rear). If you are rich you can even go even up to like 32 speakers overhead IIRC, but for most normal people, 2 or 4 atmos speakers are fine.

You use atmos you need a receiver that supports it, as well as a receiver that will support how many speakers you plan to use.

For a 7.x.4 setup (7 = 7 normal speakers, x = subwoofer, and 4 = atmos speakers) means you need a receiver capable of powering 11 speakers. Some receivers have ways to go further with a pre amp out (so you can use one to make it go from 9 speakers to say 11)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

1. The easiest and cheapest way is upward firing atmos speaker modules. These are speakers that are meant to fire sound upward into your ceiling which then reflects it downward. Some examples are the Elac A4's, KEF R50, Def Tech A60.

You simply place them on top of your front left/right and rear left/right speakers (or you can put them on their own stands) so that they reflect and then hit right in front/behind your listening area.

2. Height Speakers. These are speakers you place on the wall in front and then behind you.
IE:

Atmos is all about creating a "bubble" of sound so you hear things above and around you. Instead of sound being a circle around you (IE front/side/rear) you open up the heights and hear things overhead.

When it comes to sets you can start with just two atmos speakers (either in front or back) then go to four (2 front 2 rear). If you are rich you can even go even up to like 32 speakers overhead IIRC, but for most normal people, 2 or 4 atmos speakers are fine.

You use atmos you need a receiver that supports it, as well as a receiver that will support how many speakers you plan to use.

For a 7.x.4 setup (7 = 7 normal speakers, x = subwoofer, and 4 = atmos speakers) means you need a receiver capable of powering 11 speakers. Some receivers have ways to go further with a pre amp out (so you can use one to make it go from 9 speakers to say 11)

Are the in ceiling speakers bulky and huge? I'm actually debating that set up in the room I'm going to be building and my basement is actually got a pretty high ceiling but still, there isn't a ton of play room if they are very large in size.

Theonik

Are the in ceiling speakers bulky and huge? I'm actually debating that set up in the room I'm going to be building and my basement is actually got a pretty high ceiling but still, there isn't a ton of play room if they are very large in size.
Depends on what you buy. They will be the size of normal speakers sans the cabinet usually. Require special installation and of course a roof you can cut to mount them. Upfiring speakers are a better solution for most setups though

Mrbob

He is joking. This thread is OLED central. There are plenty of us in this thread with the C7, including me. It's a great set.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Per Wario64

DFN3PAQUMAAtK7N.jpg

Tempted...but my locations only have floor models and/or open boxes. :\

RoadHazard

Gold Member

IE:

Thanks, pretty interesting. Could you also possibly do 5.1.2 or something? Or is it really not worth getting into Atmos until you have a 7.1 setup? I'm up against the back wall in my space, so can only do side speakers, not rears.

Hi folks,

Any advice on a 4K set?

UK based, budget of max £600 really. Gonna be used for both PC/Xbox One X and will be used on a desk, so I'll be sitting fairly close.

I always tended to lean towards LG but I'm open to suggestions.

Any and all advise appreciated!

DieH@rd

Banned
Hi folks,

Any advice on a 4K set?

UK based, budget of max £600 really. Gonna be used for both PC/Xbox One X and will be used on a desk, so I'll be sitting fairly close.

I always tended to lean towards LG but I'm open to suggestions.

Any and all advise appreciated!

43XD80xx if you can find it. It's the only good entry-level HDR TV on the market.

65B6

So I finally got the chance to try out some HDR games, Gears 4 and Horizon ZD and people that complained about HDR Game mode being too dark weren't joking. It's ridiculously dim with HDR Game enabled sadly. Compared to the HDR bright, vivid and standard modes it's a huge difference. And from what I read on another forum this seeks intentional because apparently LG is planning this for the next firmware update for the C and E sets as well.

I also read that you can combat this shit by upping the game brightness but to me it doesn't look proper in Gears 4.

The current problem discussed doesn't concern B6 owners (it's C6, E6 and G6 owners that already got the crappy FW update), so I'm confused about what you're seeing. AFAIK HDR game on the B6 should be still fine.

Assanova

65B6

So I finally got the chance to try out some HDR games, Gears 4 and Horizon ZD and people that complained about HDR Game mode being too dark weren't joking. It's ridiculously dim with HDR Game enabled sadly. Compared to the HDR bright, vivid and standard modes it's a huge difference. And from what I read on another forum this seeks intentional because apparently LG is planning this for the next firmware update for the C and E sets as well.

I also read that you can combat this shit by upping the game brightness but to me it doesn't look proper in Gears 4.

I tried game mode with GTA5 on the PS4 during the brief time that I had my B6 and noticed that it was dark as well. Crisp, but dark.

Just got my 65C6P delivered this morning. The delivery was supposed to be for 7-11 AM, but they called me at 6 AM telling me they'd arrive at 6:30 -_-

Needless to say I am exhausted right now due to lack of sleep, but the TV is pretty mind blowing. Obviously it's freaking huge, but the picture quality is nuts..it really feels like having your own personal home theater except with better picture quality. The curve looks amazing too, it's very subtle.

If it's an hdmi cable, it's 4k capable (in other words, it is)

This is not 100 % true. Depending on the length and when the cable was made it may have issues transmitting HDR data. If your only concern is 4K resolution then any cable should theoretically be OK, but the bandwith required for HDR could be a problem.

Anyone here have experience or input on the Vizio M series? I'm tempted to grab the 70" model and have read the rtngs.com review which says it's decent.

I like that one for it's size/cost/performance. I sit about 10-12 feet from the TV currently. Every other decent 70"+ TV seems to be at least $2,500 or more.

Edit - I mostly use that TV for movie watching and game playing in my basement.

One more try. Debating getting the 70" Vizio M series or a 65" Sony X900. They are both in my price range, but I like the size of the Vizio better as I sit about 10-12 feet from the TV. I'm currently using a 65" Samsung plasma. Is there anything else I should be looking at in this size/price range?

ss_lemonade

If it's an hdmi cable, it's 4k capable (in other words, it is)

I have cables that flat out won't output anything 4k + HDR, other cables of the same length that work just fine, and some more that give me flickering and white noise with 4k + HDR. I'm not sure though if it's HDR that causes the problem, but some of these cables also have issues with my PS3 when deep color is enabled. Interestingly, the same cables work fine on another TV that I have that is only 1080p.

I have cables that flat out won't output anything 4k + HDR, other cables of the same length that work just fine, and some more that give me flickering and white noise with 4k + HDR. I'm not sure though if it's HDR that causes the problem, but some of these cables also have issues with my PS3 when deep color is enabled. Interestingly, the same cables work fine on another TV that I have that is only 1080p.

HDR has higher bandwidth requirements, for sure. My understanding though is that an HDMI cable is an HDMI cable (in theory), and the difference (e.g. the 1.1 or 1.2) only come into play in the devices you're connecting. Not the cable. So the only thing you can really do to see if a cable works is to try it. If a cable doesn't work, it's because it's a shitty cable or brand, and you wouldn't be able to figure that out from looking on the wire. If you want to be sure, buy a Premium Certified HDMI cable. And any 2 premium certified HDMI cables should be identical.

Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Edit: I just remembered there are "High Speed" and "Standard Speed" HDMI cables, so as long as it's "high speed" you're fine (in theory), with the exception being that the manufacturer lied about it truly being a high speed cable and not actually testing it at the upper ranges of speed. But again, the only way to know for sure is to try it.

Googling the text on that cable leads to this, and it advertises itself as "High Speed", so they're saying it's supposed to work. But since it's not premium certified, the only way to be sure is to try it.

torontoml

This is not 100 % true. Depending on the length and when the cable was made it may have issues transmitting HDR data. If your only concern is 4K resolution then any cable should theoretically be OK, but the bandwith required for HDR could be a problem.
Ok yeah, then I'm more concerned about hdr. I've tried looking but i can't find the bandwidth rating for my cables.

Edit: missed the post above, thanks.

FLEABttn

Banned
LG now has a cheaper 2017 OLED model that's not quite out there yet, B7A. Doesn't have built in Atmos, unsure what other non-cosmetic changes there are.

RTINGS .com 2017 "Best HDR" ratings http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-features/hdr

C7 again

Lovely.

Finally got my AVM 60 hooked up last night and zero HDMI handshake issues with the C7. It passes everything perfectly as well, totally fine with 1080p120hz, 4:4:4 etc. although I didn't try DV yet, I believe the new firmware supports it.

Very happy camper indeed.

Getting very close on the 203 as well to round out the upgrade.

Ok yeah, then I'm more concerned about hdr. I've tried looking but i can't find the bandwidth rating for my cables.

Edit: missed the post above, thanks.

Yeah if you aren't sure what brand they are/where they came from etc, the only way to know is to try em

Lima

I have to take that with a grain of salt. If you look at how much better the 930e performs in their review, it seems that the OLED would only be better at HDR in a dark room, but during the day or in a bright room it wouldn't hold up as well.

And why would you watch HDR in anything but a dark or dimly lit room?

Theonik

I remember someone saying "Rtings are a bunch of Samsung fanboys!" in this thread earlier this year. Lol
No they are just a really bad outlet and shouldn't be used in any serious TV discussion.
But fanboys they are not.

Some
most
don't actually own mancaves where they can watch their teles in absolute darkness.

Theonik

What's wrong with rtings?
They can be quite hit and miss with their measurements but their editorial is the actual criminal thing about them they have very little idea about what they are talking about for the most part.

Their ratings are even worse. And that's actually their whole shtick. You can't really reduce the performance of a TV to a numeric rating not even an aspect of TV performance. This only leads to people fanboy warring over TV sets when the reality is that making televisions is a complex engineering exercise and what they mark down is very much intentional.

Mrbob

You would be surprised. Whenever I visit my parents and watch a Blu Ray they like to do it with all lights on at night. It's annoying but that's how they watch TV.

Top Bottom