• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

DirtyLarry

I have the 65inch x900e and it's amazing. It's worth getting, especially over the TCL which has far inferior picture quality. If you want picture quality, the Sony wins hands down.

You will be happy with the Tv for many years. I use it for gaming on my Pro, Xb1S, and 4k blu Rays. It's truly a fucking awesome tv.

Do. It.
I saw the X900E in person. It is why I was considering it. It has a great picture no doubt.
The problem was I also saw the LG OLED's in person, it was on a 45 degree angle from the X900E, and I thought the picture on it was even that much better. I did think the difference was noticeable. I just adore OLED's like I said.

That is why I just picked up the TCL. I can wait for OLED as that is what I really want. Since I cannot justify above 3 grand for a TV I have to wait. And $2000 would have been the most I spent on a TV in a long time. Got my current Vizio for $1100.

Thank you for replying though. And I am sure I would be happy with the Sony. Very happy . I just am going to for once wait for what I really want. That is OLED.

Here is the other thing. If this TCL is truly atrocious for whatever reason, I will return it and go with the X900E. It will be a slight pain in the ass, but I am down to take that risk.

EDIT - Anyone have good recommendations for calibration settings for the TCL P Series? It arrives on Monday.
For my Vizio I just used some settings from CNET as my basis and that worked out great. So any suggestions are welcome.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
I saw the X900E in person. It is why I was considering it. It has a great picture no doubt.
The problem was I also saw the LG OLED's in person, it was on a 45 degree angle from the X900E, and I thought the picture on it was even that much better. I did think the difference was noticeable. I just adore OLED's like I said.

That is why I just picked up the TCL. I can wait for OLED as that is what I really want. Since I cannot justify above 3 grand for a TV I have to wait. And $2000 would have been the most I spent on a TV in a long time. Got my current Vizio for $1100.

Thank you for replying though. And I am sure I would be happy with the Sony. Very happy . I just am going to for once wait for what I really want. That is OLED.

Here is the other thing. If this TCL is truly atrocious for whatever reason, I will return it and go with the X900E. It will be a slight pain in the ass, but I am down to take that risk.

EDIT - Anyone have good recommendations for calibration settings for the TCL P Series? It arrives on Monday.
For my Vizio I just used some settings from CNET as my basis and that worked out great. So any suggestions are welcome.

Hopefully it works out for you. Most seem satisfied with it.

For me, It being a 60hz panel as opposed to a 120hz can be annoying for fast moving images and has noticibly more judder in film.

It also tops out at about 600 nits, which is a bit dim, as opposed to a sustained 900 nits or more for the Sony.

btkadams

I have a B7 delivering on Saturday. Is there anything I should know about firmware updates right now? Do I update to the latest version? I recall there being some issues with recent updates but i’m not sure if that pertained to B6 TVs or B7s.

Talka

Could use your guys' advice.

I'd like to upgrade my current 55" TV (an LG 55EC9300). I've moved to a new apartment for a new job, and I now have a lot of wall space and disposable income. My budget is $3,500.

I see basically three options: 1) a 65" OLED, 2) a 75" LED, or 3) waiting until a 75" OLED meets my budget. Which option do you recommend?

My couch is 11 feet from the TV. Here's my current TV and rough estimates of what a 65" and 75" TV would look like from my couch (sorry about the shitty Paint job):

Za7a80m.jpg

For the 65" TV, I'm considering the LG OLED65C7P. For the 75", I'm considering the Sony XBR75X900E.

From what I've read, the LED has noticeably worse picture quality, viewing angle, and motion blur than the OLED (that last could be problematic for gaming). On the other hand, it's still a really nice TV and 75" > 65". I also worry a 75" TV might be too big... like, it might dominate my living room, and if I move in the next few years maybe it won't fit in whatever new living room I get.

If you were me, what would you do? My current TV is serviceable, but I'm prepared to spend $3,500 sometime this year for an upgrade. Upgrading sooner would be better than later, but I want to upgrade by the end of the year at the latest.

Recommendations?

aravuus

With equivalent settings, it looks about the same as Cinema HDR mode to me. There have been others claiming it's "dim" on their B7 too, but I suspect they are comparing different settings.

Thanks!

I know it's a firmware thing, but I'm admittedly starting to get a bit impatient with this whole thing and just want to buy a TV so I can move on to stress about other meaningless stuff lol, so right now I'd rather get the TV that does have a good HDR Game Mode. Especially if the doom and gloom talk turns out to be true and the B6's game mode will never be fixed.

Buying the B7 would mean I'll probably have to skip buying a new phone this year, but it's a trade-off I'm willing to make. OP3 has been doing fine so far, it'll last until Christmas 2019.

Will have to think about it over the workday, but unless I find out something catastrophic about the B7 in the next 7 hours, I'll probably just go and buy it today. Provided I can get a ride from someone lol.

Macaco84

Given my xe90 issues (covered on previous page of this thread) i have been looking for suitable alternatives as it looks like this model generally has this panel vertical line problem (although admittedly some people will be more sensitive to it than others).

At the £2000 ish price mark it is pretty difficult to find an good alternative. The samsung 65 inch MU9000 is my leading choice at the moment but i am wondering whether they have resolved last years issue where the brightness wouldnt automatically change when switching to hdr (so you have to manually do it). Does anyone know if this is still a thing? Would be a minor annoyance to have to manually change the brightness each time i switch from hdr to non hdr and vica versa.

I'd like to upgrade my current 55" TV (an LG 55EC9300). I've moved to a new apartment for a new job, and I now have a lot of wall space and disposable income. My budget is $3,500.

I see basically three options: 1) a 65" OLED, 2) a 75" LED, or 3) waiting until a 75" OLED meets my budget. Which option do you recommend?

My couch is 11 feet from the TV. Here's my current TV and rough estimates of what a 65" and 75" TV would look like from my couch (sorry about the shitty Paint job):

Za7a80m.jpg

For the 65" TV, I'm considering the LG OLED65C7P. For the 75", I'm considering the Sony XBR75X900E.

From what I've read, the LED has noticeably worse picture quality, viewing angle, and motion blur than the OLED (that last could be problematic for gaming). On the other hand, it's still a really nice TV and 75" > 65". I also worry a 75" TV might be too big... like, it might dominate my living room, and if I move in the next few years maybe it won't fit in whatever new living room I get.

If you were me, what would you do? My current TV is serviceable, but I'm prepared to spend $3,500 sometime this year for an upgrade. Upgrading sooner would be better than later, but I want to upgrade by the end of the year at the latest.

Recommendations?

I had your mindset 2 years ago when I started my TV hunt. I wanted a big tv. BIG. 75 inches big. I had one picked out...and then I saw an OLED first hand.

Yes, bigger is better. Always. But not more important than image quality. With a budget of $3500 I'd easily recommend the B7, 65 inches.

LOL @ your #3 option. It'll be a long while before 75 inch OLEDs become "affordable".

I'm currently looking for a 4K OLED TV or monitor that is capable of the following:

• Passive 3D
  • HDR10
  • 0.0005 nits black level or lower
  • Peak brightness at 1000 nits or higher
  • 20ms Input Lag or lower at 4K@60Hz+HDR

Caayn

For a friend I'm currently looking at a TV in the range of 43"~50", preferably black design with a small foot and a budget of around €700,-. The TV will be used mostly for watching TV and some light gaming. Looking around I've seen four TV (series) that fit the bill: Panasonic 604 (2017), Sony xd8005 (2016), LG UJ6300 (2017) and the Samsung UM6000 (2017). Any tips or advice you guys can give me? I normally shop around in the high-end segment for myself so looking around for TVs in this segment is somewhat new for me and I'm not sure what to expect in this segment.
Anyone?
I'm currently looking for a 4K OLED TV or monitor that is capable of the following:

• Passive 3D
  • HDR10
You won't find a TV that's capable of the combination of black level and peak brightness that you ask for. You'll need OLED blacks with LCD brightness for that.

aravuus

Unless something weird happens, I'm gonna go out and buy the LG B7 in an hour or two.

Anyone got a bunch of super HQ HDR videos (nature stuff or whatever, doesn't matter) I could download and put on an USB stick and just watch all night? Some real mindblowing shit I can show everyone who happens to visit

Data Ghost

Unless something weird happens, I'm gonna go out and buy the LG B7 in an hour or two.

Anyone got a bunch of super HQ HDR videos (nature stuff or whatever, doesn't matter) I could download and put on an USB stick and just watch all night? Some real mindblowing shit I can show everyone who happens to visit

Haha good on ya! Go and buy that sexy B7 and feel the OLED magic wash over your excited eyeballs. Failing that, as you said, watch some good HDR content and feel happy with your purchase ;)

Anyone know what would happen if you fed a 4K HDR + 7.1 PCM signal into an HDMI 1.4a receiver? Would the receiver at least understand and play the audio portion?

Kyoufu

• Passive 3D
  • HDR10

This spec doesn't exist and will never exist. OLED has dropped 3D.

Kyoufu

Looks like there won't be a ZD9 successor this year according to a Sony rep. Hopefully they're working on a ZE10 or whatever that has HDMI 2.1, more FALD zones and 3000 nits of brightness.

Klotera

Za7a80m.jpg

Recommendations?

I don't think you could say the picture quality is noticeably worse. You will be choosing between better blacks and higher contrast ratio vs better peak brightness (the light situation in your room may factor into this decision).

Viewing angle is a distinct disadvantage for the 900e, but they are not outrageously narrow. If you will mostly be watching within a reasonable front facing "cone" from the TV, you're fine. If you had like a 90 degree setup with two couches/chairs, then it would be an issue.

The C7 does have slightly better motion blur, but the 900e was still rated very good in this area (and I think it looks fine).

If you were looking at equal sizes and not concerned about cost difference, the C7 would be the easy answer. However, the option getting the bigger 900e may have some merit. You'll enjoy the resolution benefits of 4k more with this size. I personally would go big, unless it really was too big for the room.

ApharmdX

Banned
I have a B7 delivering on Saturday. Is there anything I should know about firmware updates right now? Do I update to the latest version? I recall there being some issues with recent updates but i'm not sure if that pertained to B6 TVs or B7s.

My B7 is on the latest firmware without issues. You should be safe to update.

Looks like there won't be a ZD9 successor this year according to a Sony rep. Hopefully they're working on a ZE10 or whatever that has HDMI 2.1, more FALD zones and 3000 nits of brightness.

I wonder why they skipped a year.

FALD LCDs with a lot of zones are expensive to manufacture. Complex and expensive. You never saw the Z9D become price-competitive for that reason. Right now the LG C7 is $3200 at Best Buy. The Z9D is $4500. It's really hard to sell LCDs at this pricing moving forward, right?

IMO it's a shame that Sony isn't doing another high-end FALD set. Competition in the space is a good thing. So, moving forward, high-end TVs are all going to be LG-panel OLEDs? That sucks.

Kyoufu

FALD LCDs with a lot of zones are expensive to manufacture. Complex and expensive. You never saw the Z9D become price-competitive for that reason. Right now the LG C7 is $3200 at Best Buy. The Z9D is $4500. It's really hard to sell LCDs at this pricing moving forward, right?

IMO it's a shame that Sony isn't doing another high-end FALD set. Competition in the space is a good thing. So, moving forward, high-end TVs are all going to be LG-panel OLEDs? That sucks.

Well, the XE94/X940E is 2017's high end FALD from Sony. It's not quite as powerful as the ZD9 (which Sony still considers it as their flagship TV) but it's no slouch either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7agX6EpYvI

I wonder why they skipped a year.

Probably because nothing has surpassed the ZD9's HDR performance just yet so a replacement is unnecessary right now.

BumRush

On 75"+, it's significantly cheaper than OLED though ($9K vs $12K). Not that the average person is buying it, but it has a market for sure.

Probably because nothing has surpassed the ZD9's HDR performance just yet so a replacement is unnecessary right now.

Are there still a ton out in the wild?

ApharmdX

Banned
Well, the XE94/X940E is 2017's high end FALD from Sony. It's not quite as powerful as the ZD9 (which Sony still considers it as their flagship TV) but it's no slouch either. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7agX6EpYvI

The 940E isn't available in 65", only 75", right? The 65" size is critical for a flagship TV. I'd argue that Sony is abandoning the high-end market. The 940E is a good set, but it has far fewer zones than the Z9D and isn't a true replacement.

On 75"+, it's significantly cheaper than OLED though ($9K vs $12K). Not that the average person is buying it, but it has a market for sure.

True. OLED is a fever dream in sizes larger than 65" for most of us, lol.

TheShocker

For those discussing the TCL P607/605:

I have had the set for about a week, replacing a 2010 Panasonic G20. I love a lot about the set, but I am having a problem with some motion blur.

As a primarily gaming TV, this is an issue for me. It is not an input lag issue as that is every bit as good as my plasma. I'm either very sensitive to motion blur or I need to be looking at a TV with a higher refresh rate.

I've updated the firmware and made sure to turn off noise reduction in the Roku App expert settings. Nothing seems to help.

Kyoufu

The 940E isn't available in 65", only 75", right? The 65" size is critical for a flagship TV. I'd argue that Sony is abandoning the high-end market. The 940E is a good set, but it has far fewer zones than the Z9D and isn't a true replacement.

Which is why Sony still considers the ZD9 as their flagship TV, even with the A1E on the market. I don't think OLED is going to replace high end FALD LCD TVs any time soon tbh. OLED still has a long, long way to go before it can reach the brightness levels of the ZD9.

And from what I read, the ZD9 is doing pretty well for Sony in the high end sector.

aravuus

Quick LG B7 impressions after watching a bit of Better Call Saul on Netflix, testing how it works as a monitor and playing a few minutes of Horizon: Zero Dawn:

THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. WHAT THE FUCK.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the sound from the TV to the amp/receiver. Earlier TV was connected with an aux cable simply from its headphone output, which this TV doesn't have. Damn it, I don't know shit about audio lol.

e: and spend hours calibrating it obviously, but that can wait until tomorrow

Kyoufu

Quick LG B7 impressions after watching a bit of Better Call Saul on Netflix, testing how it works as a monitor and playing a few minutes of Horizon: Zero Dawn:

THIS IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. WHAT THE FUCK.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the sound from the TV to the amp/receiver. Earlier TV was connected with an aux cable simply from its headphone output, which this TV doesn't have. Damn it, I don't know shit about audio lol.

I hope you and other new OLED owners don't do what I did. Keep your OLED Light in the 30s/40s for the first 100 hours or so.

Or just stay away from Netflix for now because what the fuck.

Kudo

I hope you and other new OLED owners don't do what I did. Keep your OLED Light in the 30s/40s for the first 100 hours or so.

First thing I'm doing when I receive mine is delete Netflix from the WebOS bar.

aravuus

Yeah, I'll definitely try and do that any time there's any possibility of burn-in! Yours was the B6, right? Apparently this year's models are at least a bit better about it.

What's this about the first 100 hours, though?

Kudo

Yeah, I'll definitely try and do that any time there's any possibility of burn-in! Yours was the B6, right? Apparently this year's models are at least a bit better about it.

After few compensation cycles the OLED panel is less prone to image retention, first 100 hours you can get IR even within minutes from what I've read.

aravuus

After few compensation cycles the OLED panel is less prone to image retention, first 100 hours you can get IR even within minutes from what I've read.

Ah, I see. I suppose the "Pixel Refresher" option in the Picture settings is a sort of a manually triggered compensation cycle? Should I maybe be doing this every now and then even if I'm not seeing any image retention, just to get the TV used to displaying some hot, hot picture for me?

Kyoufu

I read an article about burn-in and how you should limit your OLED Light for the first 100 hours in the break in period and then you should be OK going forward.

It kinda makes sense because I had my OLED Light at 100 since the first day I used it so that was probably why I got the Netflix logo permanently burned into the corner.

I have no other screen issues other than that, but it's best to play it safe to start with.

And yeah, I understand people who don't want to baby their TVs and just want to use LCD because it's worry-free. I totally get that now.

Kudo

Ah, I see. I suppose the "Pixel Refresher" option in the Picture settings is a sort of a manually triggered compensation cycle? Should I maybe be doing this every now and then even if I'm not seeing any image retention, just to get the TV used to displaying some hot, hot picture for me?

Doesn't sound like too bad idea, like maybe once a week just to make sure there's nothing starting to stick in the first 100 hours.

aravuus

And yeah, I understand people who don't want to baby their TVs and just want to use LCD because it's worry-free. I totally get that now.

Hahah, for sure. They ain't getting this insane blacks, though!

I booted up Bloodborne and dropped the OLED Light to 30 and yeah, I can definitely keep it this low for the first weeks or a month or two most of the time. I will bring it up to 100 if I'm watching HDR content, but honestly - I doubt I will for a while. Don't have much interest in playing any of the PS4 games that currently make use of HDR, and aside from some insane showcase videos I'll definitely throw on a USB drive, I don't have anything else that plays HDR content.

Yet. Definitely getting a 4k Bluray player before the year ends.

e: man, even regular quality Youtube videos look great on this thing. DAMN.

FYI, the LG Netflix app does have the bright red Netflix logo in the bottom right corner when browsing the shows / movies. I don't think the burn in was from the Web OS bar, it's in the app itself.

I think I've already passed 100 hours of use with my TV maxed out on the OLED light so here's hoping mine stays retention-free. Certainly haven't noticed any issues, and I game on it more than anything

BumRush

FYI, the LG Netflix app does have the bright red Netflix logo in the bottom right corner when browsing the shows / movies. I don't think the burn in was from the Web OS bar, it's in the app itself.

I think I've already passed 100 hours of use with my TV maxed out on the OLED light so here's hoping mine stays retention-free. Certainly haven't noticed any issues, and I game on it more than anything

Have you pulled up an all red screen?

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The XE93 is pretty high-end. Not AS high-end as the ZD9 or the A1, but definitely above mid-range (where you have the XE90).

Top Bottom