• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Kyoufu

Dolby Vision on high brightness LCD sets could be a real game changer. I'm happy that Sony have supported it on their high end sets.

The ZD9 should get the DV update in the next few months and should look pretty incredible with 1800 nits peak brightness.

Macaco84

Sometimes it just seems that every tv has some sort of niggle that puts you off.

Following 3 failed attempts at buying a good 4k tv with no serious flaws, my final attempt is the Panasonic 65ex750.

Haven't seen this model mentioned much in here. Anyone have this or seen it in action? Apparently has low nits but the screen technology compensates for it. Plus it has 3d. Bonus!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Dolby Vision on high brightness LCD sets could be a real game changer. I'm happy that Sony have supported it on their high end sets.

But then you have people saying it will really only make a difference on low-end sets with low peak brightness, and that it won't really matter vs HDR10 on good sets. I'm confused, lol.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sometimes it just seems that every tv has some sort of niggle that puts you off.

Following 3 failed attempts at buying a good 4k tv with no serious flaws, my final attempt is the Panasonic 65ex750.

Haven't seen this model mentioned much in here. Anyone have this or seen it in action? Apparently has low nits but the screen technology compensates for it. Plus it has 3d. Bonus!

There's no such thing as a perfect TV (or phone, or whatever). It's always something.

Kyoufu

Couldn't get the DX902 instead?

But then you have people saying it will really only make a difference on low-end sets with low peak brightness, and that it won't really matter vs HDR10 on good sets. I'm confused, lol.

I mean, DV has the more advanced tech behind it. HDR10 can't match or surpass DV until Dynamic HDR becomes a thing.

I keep holding off on the firmware upgrade for my C6, but it's getting real annoying having to select no every time I turn the TV on, lol.

Anyone who's updated their C6, E6, or G6, is it really that bad for HDR game mode? Should I definitely stick to the older FW?

Macaco84

Yeah it's a very good TV and Panasonic's high end FALD. I think DOT DASH DOT (GAFer) owns it and is a big advocate of its performance.

Bit tricky for me to get this as I have store credit with one retailer and they only sell the 750. Is the pic quality still decent on the 750? Hard to find reviews on thus model.

aravuus

Is there much if any difference in the quality of picture and sound between PS4's Netflix app and the B7's own Netflix app? PS4 happily streams shows in 4k (says "Video: 15.xx Mbps / 2160" in the info, which I assume stands for 2160p), the TV... Does not, right now. It did earlier, when I watched a bit of Better Call Saul, but now it seems to be defaulting to something like 480p. Both are connected to the wifi.

If there's no discernible difference, I'll just stick to PS4's Netflix app. It's, imo, a bit nicer to use anyway.

tmdorsey

Site doesn't load. But nice, I have an XE93 on the way.

Damn. It loaded for me earlier. Weird

I mean, DV has the more advanced tech behind it. HDR10 can't match or surpass DV until Dynamic HDR becomes a thing.

The higher end sets do some sort of dynamic processing of the HDR10 content that can make HDR10 content look very close or better than DV on the lower-end sets. I look at DV as being a bit more precise than the high end sets dynamic processing so I'm really excited to see what DV looks like on my 930E.

Macaco84

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/tx50dx750b-201607034309.htm

I wouldn't buy it tbh. 500 nits? Even OLED is brighter. 48ms input lag? That's not so great, not horrible but you could do a lot better.

Which other TVs do your retailer have?

That's the dx. I think the ex is a step up? In the UK I'm kind of tied to john Lewis as I am returning a previous faulty set to them.

I have been through all the models in my price range but they all have issues. I am on my 2nd faulty Sony xe90 that has a vertical banding issue inherent to the design that many won't notice but I do so I can't really buy this model. I like the Samsung's but I hear they haven't fixed the game mode hdr where you have to manually adjust the brightness. That would bug me. The lg lcds are a bit average I hear and the oleds are out of my price range. I *only* have £2500 to spend and want a 65 inch.

I thought the ex750 would be suitable.

MazeHaze

Banned
That's the dx. I think the ex is a step up? In the UK I'm kind of tied to john Lewis as I am returning a previous faulty set to them.

I have been through all the models in my price range but they all have issues. I am on my 2nd faulty Sony xe90 that has a vertical banding issue inherent to the design that many won't notice but I do so I can't really buy this model. I like the Samsung's but I hear they haven't fixed the game mode hdr where you have to manually adjust the brightness. That would bug me. The lg lcds are a bit average I hear and the oleds are out of my price range. I *only* have £2500 to spend and want a 65 inch.

I mean if your only gripe with the Samsung is the backlight adjusting, don't even worry about it. I've had a KS8000 for a year and it's honestly not a big deal. Unless you are constantly switching between SDR and HDR games during play sessions, its like 3 button presses to crank the brightness.

Macaco84

I mean if your only gripe with the Samsung is the backlight adjusting, don't even worry about it. I've had a KS8000 for a year and it's honestly not a big deal. Unless you are constantly switching between SDR and HDR games during play sessions, its like 3 button presses to crank the brightness.

I do constantly switch I have to say. Could I just leave the brightness on max or near max to avoid the manual switching? Is there a setting that is "good enough" for both?

Can't believe Samsung still haven't sorted this. That's my only gripe on the mu9000.

MazeHaze

Banned
I do constantly switch I have to say. Could I just leave the brightness on max or near max to avoid the manual switching? Is there a setting that is "good enough" for both?

Can't believe Samsung still haven't sorted this. That's my only gripe on the mu9000.
Yeah, I totally leave my backlight maxed usually on the PS4 input.

The reason it is the way it is I think is because game mode isn't a picture preset in the menu, it is a special viewing mode.

And when you pull up settings menu backlight is the first option, so as soon as you pull the menu up you just hold the arrow on the remote. You'll be able to do it with your eyes closed in like 3 seconds.

Kyoufu

Not seen anything about the EX750 to be able to comment sadly.

Macaco84

Yeah, I totally leave my backlight maxed usually on the PS4 input.

The reason it is the way it is I think is because game mode isn't a picture preset in the menu, it is a special viewing mode.

And when you pull up settings menu backlight is the first option, so as soon as you pull the menu up you just hold the arrow on the remote. You'll be able to do it with your eyes closed in like 3 seconds.

Ok doesn't sound too bad! (The internet makes it sound worse)

If the mu9000 menu is the same then that's a reasonable compromise. I will have to check it out. Heading to the store tomorrow.

Although you say it's a special viewing mode - is this still suitable for watching blu ray movies? As i watch these on ps4. Else I will have to switch to a different mode for that as well. Thats a lotta switching... have to say that's one blessing on the Sony xe90, game mode is also perfect for movies

Worth trying a XE9305 65"? It's £2500 on JL.

MazeHaze

Banned
Ok doesn't sound too bad! (The internet makes it sound worse)

If the mu9000 menu is the same then that's a reasonable compromise. I will have to check it out. Heading to the store tomorrow.

Although you say it's a special viewing mode - is this still suitable for watching blu ray movies? As i watch these on ps4. Else I will have to switch to a different mode for that as well. Thats a lotta switching... have to say that's one blessing on the Sony xe90, game mode is also perfect for movies

In my experience with the KS8000, I watch blu rays on my ps4 without changing modes all the time. Looks great.

And yeah, the internet blows that game mode thing way out of proportion imo. I remember being bummed about it when I first bought the TV, but it's something I don't even think about until someone brings it up. It certainly doesn't effect my enjoyment of the TV, in fact my KS8000 was stolen last week, and I bought another one immediately.

Macaco84

Worth trying a XE9305 65"? It's £2500 on JL.

Concerned it may be prone to the same panel manufacturing issues as the xe90. If you go back a page on this thread you will see the issues I have here. It's only noticeable if you look for it but unfortunately once you see it you can't unsee it.

Macaco84

In my experience with the KS8000, I watch blu rays on my ps4 without changing modes all the time. Looks great.

And yeah, the internet blows that game mode thing way out of proportion imo. I remember being bummed about it when I first bought the TV, but it's something I don't even think about until someone brings it up. It certainly doesn't effect my enjoyment of the TV, in fact my KS8000 was stolen last week, and I bought another one immediately.

Sounds promising then. I will definitely put it on my (very) short list. As there seem to be very few alternatives.

Part of me is just tempted to save myself a heap of money and just settle on a cheap £1000 tv and call it a day. As it seems spending lots of money doesn't guarantee you a perfect set. Wish I wasn't so picky!

Also, what is the abl like on this set? Is it obvious?

e90Mark

I just got my UP970 in the mail. I've tried two discs and just sitting at the menu screen, the thing is vibrating it's ass off. I think I actually got worst case scenario with this player.

Kyoufu

I just got my UP970 in the mail. I've tried two discs and just sitting at the menu screen, the thing is vibrating it's ass off. I think I actually got worst case scenario with this player.

That's why I'm staying away from that and going with the Sony X800 instead. Not much can be more irritating than noisy disc drives.

Kyoufu

X800 is whisper quiet, that thing is built like a tank. Very happy I went with it over the LG one.

I just hope Sony updates it with Dolby Vision or I may wait for next year's players even though I really need one right now.

Not interested in paying double the amount for Oppo's player despite how competent it looks to be.

Devil

Everytime I see an LG OLED on a store display in a very brightly lit space and it still looks incredible with great contrast I ask myself what the nits talk is all about.

I had to squint my eyes at bright scenes when I watched John Wick 2 recently on my friend's LCD. It was too much for me already and newer sets are supposed to be a lot brighter than that.

I know that's entirely subjective but so far I never thought OLEDs are too dim. But I couldn't check thembout in a normal living room yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I just hope Sony updates it with Dolby Vision or I may wait for next year's players even though I really need one right now.

Not interested in paying double the amount for Oppo's player despite how competent it looks to be.

I don't understand why they wouldn't. It's surely technically capable, they just need to make it send that extra data. The TV does all the heavy lifting to make DV happen. And they have released TVs capable of DV this year (although they haven't been updated to enable it yet), so it just seems dumb if they wouldn't make their own physical media player compatible with that feature. I guess there's a licencing fee...? Or maybe they just want to sell next year's model on DV. But then they risk people getting some other player that does do DV instead.

Mrbob

Yeah lack of Dolby Vision is why I'm waiting on the X800. I'm under the impression too that the Sony player just needs to send the signal and the tv will do the work.

Perhaps it'll be a group update when they update the x930e.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah lack of Dolby Vision is why I'm waiting on the X800. I'm under the impression too that the Sony player just needs to send the signal and the tv will do the work.

Perhaps it'll be a group update when they update the x930e.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for that, as I have one of each on the way!

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I don't understand why they wouldn't. It's surely technically capable, they just need to make it send that extra data. The TV does all the heavy lifting to make DV happen. And they have released TVs capable of DV this year (although they haven't been updated to enable it yet), so it just seems dumb if they wouldn't make their own physical media player compatible with that feature. I guess there's a licencing fee...? Or maybe they just want to sell next year's model on DV. But then they risk people getting some other player that does do DV instead.

Easy answer: Licensing

Got a demo for the Samsung MU9000 and QLED range today, looked quite impressive! It demonstrated the colour volume and gradients compared to OLED's. They had an E6 (probably poorly) set up next to it. A poor demonstration for OLED, of course, but the QLED produced a bright, colourful image. A bit washed out on near-black (with bright highlights) HDR scenes.

Was also really impressed with the 65 Sony ZD9 and the 65 X930 side by side. Upscaling and motion clearly a step up from QLED, and quality of the image wasn't an obvious win for the much more expensive ZD9.

All in all you can't really go wrong with any of them, but Sony definitely had the best value for money on 2017 models. The 2016 LG OLEDs were still stunning though, and amazing value if you can get your hands on one.

Concerned it may be prone to the same panel manufacturing issues as the xe90. If you go back a page on this thread you will see the issues I have here. It's only noticeable if you look for it but unfortunately once you see it you can't unsee it.

Yes I read it hence why I said worth trying with a question mark. Just suggesting it might be worth a try as in changing the model, perhaps the 900e batch they have is more pronounced. Many makes and models exhibit bands.

Mrbob

Is there much if any difference in the quality of picture and sound between PS4's Netflix app and the B7's own Netflix app? PS4 happily streams shows in 4k (says "Video: 15.xx Mbps / 2160" in the info, which I assume stands for 2160p), the TV... Does not, right now. It did earlier, when I watched a bit of Better Call Saul, but now it seems to be defaulting to something like 480p. Both are connected to the wifi.

If there's no discernible difference, I'll just stick to PS4's Netflix app. It's, imo, a bit nicer to use anyway.

If you want to watch hdr10 and Dolby vision stuff you need to do it through the lg tv Netflix app. You will also need the 4k subscription which I believe you have.

I like the LG TV apps quite a bit. I use the TV for apps now instead of my consoles.

TheBoss1

Everytime I see an LG OLED on a store display in a very brightly lit space and it still looks incredible with great contrast I ask myself what the nits talk is all about.

I had to squint my eyes at bright scenes when I watched John Wick 2 recently on my friend's LCD. It was too much for me already and newer sets are supposed to be a lot brighter than that.

I know that's entirely subjective but so far I never thought OLEDs are too dim. But I couldn't check thembout in a normal living room yet.

People often think high peak brightness only has to do with general display brightness under bright room conditions. The truth is high brightness helps with displaying HDR material so it can display brighter colors that you can't obtain with low luminescent displays.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
If you want to watch hdr10 and Dolby vision stuff you need to do it through the lg tv Netflix app. You will also need the 4k subscription which I believe you have.

I like the LG TV apps quite a bit. I use the TV for apps now instead of my consoles.

yup, WebOS TV is aces.

Kyoufu

Lol

Has it gotten ANY better?

f1FQjh5.gif

Kyoufu

The thing that reeeeeally confuses me is that i don't see any image retention after playing games or watching CNN for hours, but somehow a Netflix logo has burnt through the panel's defences. How rude.

aaaaa0

After few compensation cycles the OLED panel is less prone to image retention, first 100 hours you can get IR even within minutes from what I've read.

Yeah, burn-in is the result of uneven brightness decline in the individual pixels as they wear.

The OLED pixels wear most rapidly in the first 100 hours, so any differences in usage get magnified, which is why the panel is so vulnerable to burn in during that initial period.

I put up with two generations of plasma TVs (current is a 65" Panasonic VT30 circa 2011) over the last few years, which have the same sort of burn-in problems, and I'm just tired of having to baby my television.

I'm tired of having to install auto-cycling wallpapers, auto-hiding the taskbar, and making sure never to play any single game for more than a few hours at a time, making sure the PC never is on the login screen for a long period of time, etc.

I so want to rule out getting an OLED (for brightness, size, cost, and burn in reasons), but the picture quality, blacks, and response times are just so good.

I'm considering the Sony 940E, but that has horrible motion blur. The 930E doesn't come in 75". I might end up getting the 900E 75".

But I keep coming back to the B7/C7 65" because the image quality is so beautiful, and then rejecting it again because of burn in.

:(

Matticers

I almost picked up a LG C6 at a good price but had to wait a week... and then it wasn't available at that price anymore from the dealer. So I'm getting a X900E instead which is quite a bit cheaper but won't be giving me everything I want. It'll be nice to finally enjoy some HDR and 4K content and I'm sure the set will look awesome, especially for the price.

Time to go buy a PS4 Pro and pre-order a Xbox One X, I suppose.

aravuus

I thought Netflix's 4k stuff was just, I dunno, regular 4k video? Not HDR or DV?

Well, I'm going out to buy an audio cable of some sorts anyway today to connect the TV to my receiver, might as well get an ethernet cable for it.

e: actually, speaking of audio, I know literally jack shit about it, so if someone could tell me just what sort of a cable I need to connect my LG B7 to a Yamaha HTR-2067, I'd greatly appreciate it

torontoml

I thought Netflix's 4k stuff was just, I dunno, regular 4k video? Not HDR or DV?

Well, I'm going out to buy an audio cable of some sorts anyway today to connect the TV to my receiver, might as well get an ethernet cable for it.

e: actually, speaking of audio, I know literally jack shit about it, so if someone could tell me just what sort of a cable I need to connect my LG B7 to a Yamaha HTR-2067, I'd greatly appreciate it
Only a few of Netflix's original programming is HDR/DV. But it does say Dolby Vision instead of 4K or just HAD if it is.

Mrbob

Search hdr in Netflix and all the hdr enabled programming will show up.

I have a Yamaha receiver as well and have my LG OLED connected to it with an optical cable. If you care about Dolby Atmos you will need HDMI arc enabled but I'm not the best to run you through that. I'm fine with regular 5.1. Don't forget to set the audio out setting in your TV to optical out as well if you go this route.

I'm assuming the B7 had optical out like the C7.

Top Bottom