• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

But then you have people saying it will really only make a difference on low-end sets with low peak brightness, and that it won't really matter vs HDR10 on good sets. I'm confused, lol.

It's true Haha, I mean I wasn't even aware of that HDTV Test article, and it backed up what I was saying, a decent HDR10 LCD with high peak brightness and good tone mapping, doesn't need DV with 1000nit mastered content, of which there is plenty, but 4000nit, sure that should be bloody awesome for DV LCD's.

That's the dx. I think the ex is a step up? In the UK I'm kind of tied to john Lewis as I am returning a previous faulty set to them.

I have been through all the models in my price range but they all have issues. I am on my 2nd faulty Sony xe90 that has a vertical banding issue inherent to the design that many won't notice but I do so I can't really buy this model. I like the Samsung's but I hear they haven't fixed the game mode hdr where you have to manually adjust the brightness. That would bug me. The lg lcds are a bit average I hear and the oleds are out of my price range. I *only* have £2500 to spend and want a 65 inch.

I thought the ex750 would be suitable.

The DX902 has 512 FALD zones vs EX 8 pseudo edge zones
DX goes up to 1300nits HDR vs EX 550nits,
DX has 98% DCI vs EX 96%

Another thing to note is the EX drops to 200nits if local dimming is set to high, whereas the DX still hits 1300nits.

It's night and day in all honesty.

There's a rumour that Panasonic are about to announce the successor to the 902 end of the month.

That would put a cat amongst the ZD Pigeons :0

aravuus

I have a Yamaha receiver as well and have my LG OLED connected to it with an optical cable. If you care about Dolby Atmos you will need HDMI arc enabled but I'm not the best to run you through that. I'm fine with regular 5.1. Don't forget to set the audio out setting in your TV to optical out as well if you go this route.

I'm assuming the B7 had optical out like the C7.

Looks like it does, yeah. Thanks! I'll stick to the optical for now, regular 5.1 is perfectly fine for me too.

e: no way to see video/audio/stream info on the LG Netflix app? Picture looks much better now that it's connected to the internet with an ethernet cable, but I'd still like to see whether it's HDR or not and stuff like that

So I finally have my new Sony A1 OLED 65" set up and have had an evening of gaming on it.

Holy fucking shitballs. Played Wipeout HD and its native 4K/HDR/60fps presentation is stunning. COD Infinte Warfare looked really great for a dynamic 4K game. The Last of Us (4K native/HDR) looked amazing, although you can see its last gen roots.

It's on the whole a huge step up from my Panasonic VT50 plasma. And the blacks... they're blacker than the souls of a thousand ex-wives.

aravuus

So I finally have my new Sony A1 OLED 65" set up and have had an evening of gaming on it.

Holy fucking shitballs. Played Wipeout HD and its native 4K/HDR/60fps presentation is stunning. COD Infinte Warfare looked really great for a dynamic 4K game. The Last of Us (4K native/HDR) looked amazing, although you can see its last gen roots.

It's on the whole a huge step up from my Panasonic VT50 plasma. And the blacks... they're blacker than the souls of a thousand ex-wives.

I was genuinely thinking of getting Wipeout just to see how it looks like on the B7 hahah, despite the fact that I'm not even interested in it as a game. Like at all.

Maybe we'll get it as a PS+ game some day so I'll get to see how it looks.

tokkun

I put up with two generations of plasma TVs (current is a 65" Panasonic VT30 circa 2011) over the last few years, which have the same sort of burn-in problems, and I'm just tired of having to baby my television.

I feel you. I have been thinking about picking up a 2018 OLED to replace my current plasma, but I hate having to stress out over how I use it.

In some ways OLED seems even more distracting, since you now have to think not just about static images, but about which colors they use. If red / orange / yellow are susceptible to burn in, do I have to worry about Zelda's heart containers? Dark Souls' Estus flask? Am I fine playing Persona 3 with its blue highlights, but not P4 or P5 with yellow & red?

Kyoufu

Burn in aside, I think OLED lacks the high peak brightness that HDR demands and it may take a couple of more years before the OLEDs can reach 1000 nits which is still short of the 4000 nits some UHD Blu Rays are mastered at. Horizon Zero Dawn goes as high as 6000 nits when looking directly at the sun, that's around 10x brighter than most OLED TVs.

I wonder if OLED is the future?

btkadams

So, my B7 delivers today.... I’ve now just realized that the B7 actually has a silver bezel, while the C7 is entirely black. Is that silver bezel noticeable in a bad way at all (mine hasn’t delivered yet)? I chose the B7 because of the black stand, so it’s interesting that it’s the one with a silver bezel.

I’m really overthinking this, but it IS a lot of money..

Kyoufu

So, my B7 delivers today.... I’ve now just realized that the B7 actually has a silver bezel, while the C7 is entirely black. Is that silver bezel noticeable in a bad way at all (mine hasn’t delivered yet)? I chose the B7 because of the black stand, so it’s interesting that it’s the one with a silver bezel.

It's not a big deal, although I do like that the OLED panel achieves blacks as dark as the bezel itself on my E6.

I doubt you'll even think about the bezel when you turn it on.

aravuus

So, my B7 delivers today.... I've now just realized that the B7 actually has a silver bezel, while the C7 is entirely black. Is that silver bezel noticeable in a bad way at all (mine hasn't delivered yet)? I chose the B7 because of the black stand, so it's interesting that it's the one with a silver bezel.

I'm really overthinking this, but it IS a lot of money..

Nope. I actually thought the same when I saw a comparison video between C7 and B7, thinking it looked distracting, but it's something I have paid literally zero attention to after that.

If it does bother you, I guess you could theoretically just paint it black with a black marker or something lol.

e: my B7 has a silver stand too, though?

vpance

It's true Haha, I mean I wasn't even aware of that HDTV Test article, and it backed up what I was saying, a decent HDR10 LCD with high peak brightness and good tone mapping, doesn't need DV with 1000nit mastered content, of which there is plenty, but 4000nit, sure that should be bloody awesome for DV LCD's.

I think most high nit LCDs can already display details up to 4000 nit. Every TV tonemaps to some degree. Some you need to tweak more to get the most out of it and others less if any.

DVs main benefit for high nit TVs is less of that dimness factor we're seeing with HDR in certain content now. Like scenes that are dim no matter how high your nits are cuz the metadata is static.

btkadams

It's not a big deal, although I do like that the OLED panel achieves blacks as dark as the bezel itself on my E6.

I doubt you'll even think about the bezel when you turn it on.

Nope. I actually thought the same when I saw a comparison video between C7 and B7, thinking it looked distracting, but it's something I have paid literally zero attention to after that.

If it does bother you, I guess you could theoretically just paint it black with a black marker or something lol.

e: my B7 has a silver stand too, though?
Thanks guys. Calming my nerves a bit haha. I’ll have to just open it up and see if it bothers me at all.

Also, aravuus, from what I can tell, there are 2 different stands that appear with the B7 online. I’m not sure if it’s regional or what, but the Best Buy Canada image shows the TV with this one:

lg-b7-oled-tv-tv-2017-ces-17.jpg

I’m guessing you have this one? I have no idea why there seems to be 2 different stands.

aravuus

Also, aravuus, from what I can tell, there are 2 different stands that appear with the B7 online. I’m not sure if it’s regional or what, but the Best Buy Canada image shows the TV with this one:

I’m guessing you have this one? I have no idea why there seems to be 2 different stands.

I have the latter one, yeah. What a bizarre difference. From what I can tell, all B7's have the silver stand in Finland.

I actually quite like the stand, I think it looks great. Even on a black glass stand.

Kyoufu

The DX902 has 512 FALD zones vs EX 8 pseudo edge zones
DX goes up to 1300nits HDR vs EX 550nits,
DX has 98% DCI vs EX 96%

Another thing to note is the EX drops to 200nits if local dimming is set to high, whereas the DX still hits 1300nits.

It's night and day in all honesty.

There's a rumour that Panasonic are about to announce the successor to the 902 end of the month.

That would put a cat amongst the ZD Pigeons :0

Man, it's a shame Panasonic don't do TVs in US anymore. The 902 is ridiculously good for an LCD.

If they release a ZD9 killer soon then wow. ;o

Macaco84

Ok for those keeping up with my story over the last couple of pages of this thread, I have an update.

Challenged with finding a suitable replacement for my XE90 that seems to have an inherent vertical banding issue (probably only noticeable to compulsive nerds like me...), I went to the store today to see what I can get for my £2500 store credit. It turns out finding a replacement is not as simple as I thought. I know they say there isn't such thing as a perfect TV but my word, why is it that every model seems to have some annoying issue?

Samsung MU9000 - Still has the annoying HDR game mode bug
Panasonic EX750 - Nits way too low for good HDR performance
LG SJ850V - IPS panel with horrible contrast
SONY XE90 - As the issue I have been experiencing seems to be a general model issue there is so no point getting another one

These were the only options in my price range really and as I am tied to the store, no other models are eligible. Anyway, I spent a good hour in the store and walked out with nothing.

Deflated, I went home to chew things over. I was tempted just to buy the cheapest Hisense TV, take a hit with quality but at least I wouldn't be spending a fortune.

But after some careful thought I decided to give Sony one last go. But this time with the XE9305 which has conveniently come down in price since this fiasco of mine began about 2 months ago.

I am hopeful it will have a different panel design than the XE90 so I don't get the same issue. But to be honest, if it does I am at the point where it doesn't matter. I hate dropping £2.5k on a product that has an issue but it may well be the better of all the evils and at least I will have a nice set (that has Dolby Vision as well - bonus).

Delivery in two weeks. Fingers crossed...

Ok for those keeping up with my story over the last couple of pages of this thread, I have an update.

Challenged with finding a suitable replacement for my XE90 that seems to have an inherent vertical banding issue (probably only noticeable to compulsive nerds like me...), I went to the store today to see what I can get for my £2500 store credit. It turns out finding a replacement is not as simple as I thought. I know they say there isn't such thing as a perfect TV but my word, why is it that every model seems to have some annoying issue?

SONY XE90 - As the issue I have been experiencing seems to be a general model issue there is so no point getting another one

These were the only options in my price range really and as I am tied to the store, no other models are eligible. Anyway, I spent a good hour in the store and walked out with nothing.

Deflated, I went home to chew things over. I was tempted just to buy the cheapest Hisense TV, take a hit with quality but at least I wouldn't be spending a fortune.

But after some careful thought I decided to give Sony one last go. But this time with the XE9305 which has conveniently come down in price since this fiasco of mine began about 2 months ago.

I am hopeful it will have a different panel design than the XE90 so I don't get the same issue. But to be honest, if it does I am at the point where it doesn't matter. I hate dropping £2.5k on a product that has an issue but it may well be the better of all the evils and at least I will have a nice set (that has Dolby Vision as well - bonus).

Why not oled?

Rahvar

Picking up a B6 tomorrow, didn't want to wait anymore and risk the retailer running out of stock. Lowering the brightnesd before I start using it for sure Kyoufu!

Weevilone

I feel you. I have been thinking about picking up a 2018 OLED to replace my current plasma, but I hate having to stress out over how I use it.

In some ways OLED seems even more distracting, since you now have to think not just about static images, but about which colors they use. If red / orange / yellow are susceptible to burn in, do I have to worry about Zelda's heart containers? Dark Souls' Estus flask? Am I fine playing Persona 3 with its blue highlights, but not P4 or P5 with yellow & red?

I've not worried too much, but at least had the thought of burn-in way in the back of my mind with just about every TV I've used since HD became a thing.. and I guess even before that a bit. I thought about it with my rear projection CRT's. I thought about it with my plasma's. It's at least crossed my mind with my OLED. Yet through all of this, the only burn-in I've ever experienced was on a Macbook Pro LCD. Apple ended up refunding my money on that, but crazy how it worked out.

AdrianF

Valve
My x900e suddenly decided it didn't like ARC sound nor controlling devices via HDMI.

No idea what happened, it was fine last night, turned it on this morning and it's dead. Tried 2 different soundbars with the same issue: audio is not sent to the bars, nor the hdmi control system works anymore.

Don't really have much to say other than that, I'm still happy with the TV but now I have to use Bluetooth to connect to the sound bar and have to deal with 2 different volume bars.

JG5253

For those discussing the TCL P607/605:

I have had the set for about a week, replacing a 2010 Panasonic G20. I love a lot about the set, but I am having a problem with some motion blur.

As a primarily gaming TV, this is an issue for me. It is not an input lag issue as that is every bit as good as my plasma. I'm either very sensitive to motion blur or I need to be looking at a TV with a higher refresh rate.

I've updated the firmware and made sure to turn off noise reduction in the Roku App expert settings. Nothing seems to help.

Have you tried turning down brightness down to 0?

You could have got the Panasonic DX902 65" for £1,700. Along with the Sony ZD9, it's probably the best LCD on the market (although not for long).

JG5253

But then you have people saying it will really only make a difference on low-end sets with low peak brightness, and that it won't really matter vs HDR10 on good sets. I'm confused, lol.

On my set HDR looks slight better than DV for bright scenes but Dolby Vision is much better on darker scenes

Kyoufu

Did you ever figure out how that logo ended up in that particular spot? Is it possible that the panel somehow had hours on it before you got it?

When browsing Netflix the Netflix logo will be on the bottom right I think. I don't recall ever leaving the Netflix page up for any considerable amount of time. The app has a screensaver anyway. I don't know :'(

I've thrown so much at this TV in terms of HUDs and logos, I don't know how a Netflix logo managed to burn in.

I highly doubt anyone used the TV before I did. It was all sealed when I got it, but I guess that's easy to repackage? I dunno, I doubt it.

Macaco84

You could have got the Panasonic DX902 65" for £1,700. Along with the Sony ZD9, it's probably the best LCD on the market (although not for long).

Unfortunately the dx902 wasn't available from the retailer I had store credit with. Otherwise that would have been an option.

The ZD9 65 inches was £800 over budget so not an option for me.

Although by all accounts the Sony XE9305 is a very good screen (albeit with the usual edge lit display issues like blooming).

Kyoufu

Unfortunately the dx902 wasn't available from the retailer I had store credit with. Otherwise that would have been an option.

The ZD9 65 inches was £800 over budget so not an option for me.

Although by all accounts the Sony XE9305 is a very good screen (albeit with the usual edge lit display issues like blooming).

Cancel your order, save up £700 more and then get the ZD9. I wouldn't buy anything other than a FALD if I were to purchase an LCD TV.

JG5253

That's why I'm staying away from that and going with the Sony X800 instead. Not much can be more irritating than noisy disc drives.

X800 is whisper quiet, that thing is built like a tank. Very happy I went with it over the LG one.

I went with the LG because LG said its going to update it to Dolby Vision and Sony hasn't said anything. When the UP970 went on sale at Fry's for $140 I had to take a chance. I guess I got lucy because mine is pretty quiet

Macaco84

Cancel your order, save up £700 more and then get the ZD9. I wouldn't buy anything other than a FALD if I were to purchase an LCD TV.

If only it was that easy! £2500 is my absolute limit (and that's taking my credit card to levels it hasn't seen before!)

I know there is a certain stigma about edge lit displays but I believe the XE9305 is one of the best edge lit out there.

And tbh I wasn't that impressed with the XE90 FALD solution. Still a load of blooming all over the place - especially when viewing from an angle. I know it doesn't have too many zones, but nonetheless it wasn't the revelation some reviews made it out to be.

Oh man, the logo is even all neon lit too.

I highly doubt anyone used the TV before I did. It was all sealed when I got it, but I guess that's easy to repackage? I dunno, I doubt it.

Plus, if that were the case, I think you would have noticed the logo right away.

Kyoufu

Wouldn't it take hours upon hours of that logo being there for it to burn in? I've never had Netflix open for hours without binging a show or the screensaver being in effect.

Is it possible that during binge sessions the logo would appear between episodes and slowly but surely burn in? Can someone check if the logo appears after an episode ends? Even in that scenario I can't imagine the logo being on screen long enough over the course of the binge duration to actually cause burn in...

but yes, that neon logo is the worst thing you could throw on an OLED screen :s

If only it was that easy! £2500 is my absolute limit (and that's taking my credit card to levels it hasn't seen before!)

I know there is a certain stigma about edge lit displays but I believe the XE9305 is one of the best edge lit out there.

And tbh I wasn't that impressed with the XE90 FALD solution. Still a load of blooming all over the place - especially when viewing from an angle. I know it doesn't have too many zones, but nonetheless it wasn't the revelation some reviews made it out to be.

Stigma definitely there, but the XE93 is quite an sophisticated edge lit, uses lots of light guiding plates to create zones, and that's how it outperforms the XE90. Nice TV.

Wouldn't it take hours upon hours of that logo being there for it to burn in? I've never had Netflix open for hours without binging a show or the screensaver being in effect.

Is it possible that during binge sessions the logo would appear between episodes and slowly but surely burn in? Can someone check if the logo appears after an episode ends? Even in that scenario I can't imagine the logo being on screen long enough over the course of the binge duration to actually cause burn in...

but yes, that neon logo is the worst thing you could throw on an OLED screen :s

Yeah, it's weird, I too would think it would take a long constant appearance.

Evo X

Thanks guys. Calming my nerves a bit haha. I’ll have to just open it up and see if it bothers me at all.

I can clear up the confusion.

The black stand is the B7A model since the B7P with silver cresent stand is exclusive to Costco in the US.

B7A was recently introduced to get around that and is being sold at other retail stores. As far as I know, the only difference is the stand and loss of built in Dolby Atmos decoding which is useless for anyone with a discrete sound system anyway.

My x900e suddenly decided it didn't like ARC sound nor controlling devices via HDMI.

No idea what happened, it was fine last night, turned it on this morning and it's dead. Tried 2 different soundbars with the same issue: audio is not sent to the bars, nor the hdmi control system works anymore.

Don't really have much to say other than that, I'm still happy with the TV but now I have to use Bluetooth to connect to the sound bar and have to deal with 2 different volume bars.

Welcome. Welcome to the wonderful world of AndroidTV. We hope you are enjoying your time where you're still able to switch inputs or adjust the volume. We are working diligently to ensure that basic functionality stops working shortly, too.

LeleSocho

Banned
Man it's so sad to see people being so disappointed when their OLED get burn in and yet every time someone tries to warn people of the problem at the moment of buying a set they get piled up by 3 times the people saying that it's all fine and dandy.

I share your pain Kyoufu...

Kyoufu

Man it's so sad to see people being so disappointed when their OLED get burn in and yet every time someone tries to warn people of the problem at the moment of buying a set they get piled up by 3 times the people saying that it's all fine and dandy.

I share your pain Kyoufu...

I was one of those people advocating these OLEDs with regards to burn-in lmao

I was one of those people advocating these OLEDs with regards to burn-in lmao
Yours is legit the first time I've heard of permanent (or hopefully semi-permanent) burn-in on an OLED. I'll check LGs EU warranty for burn-in coverage before buying OLED now, so FWIW, thanks for that

MazeHaze

Banned
Yours is legit the first time I've heard of permanent (or hopefully semi-permanent) burn-in on an OLED. I'll check LGs EU warranty for burn-in coverage before buying OLED now, so FWIW, thanks for that
There's a bunch of people with permanent burn in on avs forums. Scared me off of OLED. Sucks cuz I was excited to pick one up this week. Oh well, we'll see what the future brings.

There's a bunch of people with permanent burn in on avs forums. Scared me off of OLED. Sucks cuz I was excited to pick one up this week. Oh well, we'll see what the future brings.
Any of them from 'normal' use? Or all of them edge cases?

I also wonder how prone to burn-in these OLED screens are compared to, say, the last generation of Panasonic plasma TVs.

Top Bottom