• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I had my KS8000 done and I can hardly tell much of a difference. Big waste of $300 IMO. It was close enough out of the box in Movie/Warm 2.

your mileage, of course, may vary, but my experiences, on high-end CRT, Plasma, and OLED, with very well regarded calibrators, has been excellent

Crowza

Although most of the burn-in complaints have been about 2016 sets, I wouldn't take that to mean that the 2017 sets are not affected as well. It may well be that there are more reports from 2016 sets because more of them have been sold since the 2017s have not been as heavily discounted yet.

I have also been thinking about whether to buy an OLED, and after years of dealing with IR / burn-in on a plasma, it's a sensitive issue to me, so I have been following it closely. Now I am mentally ticking off a list of games I have played a lot in the past few years that have red / yellow / orange static HUD elements that are more prone to burn-in - the heart containers in Zelda, the Estus flask in Souls games, the battle menu in Persona 5...

Really, I just want to play whatever game I want for however long I want without having this stress in the back of my mind impairing my enjoyment.

Okay, so I bit the bullet and picked up the 55" OLED 2016 LG open box discounted set on Sunday. Once I saw it live, I didn't notice any burn in and the fact that it was technically 3" larger than my Samsung LNT5271F at a price $200-$300 cheaper than anywhere online selling refurbished units. With two weeks to return it, an extended warranty that would cover any burn in issues for the next two years - I was set, great TV at a great price.

Once I got it home and set it up, I almost felt the television was smaller. This of course, was due to the bezel being so thin, compared to the beefy monster LED that it was replacing. That is just a perception problem. But, it did make me feel like I should have gone with a 65" set, to really set it apart from what I was replacing.

webOS is fantastic, there simply is nothing better. No words for how great webOS 3.5 happens to be... Love it.

Then, after setup and playing a few games - I did start to notice some image retention. Nothing from my viewing, but images from the demo reel that played at the store. Weird, how with OLED it only shows it with very specific tones or you can't see it at all (unlike previous display technologies). I could even see words where it said "OLED" on the panel in the middle of the screen. No big deal, probably just retention and after a break in period, it should disappear. Pixel shift had been turned on at the store, so that should have helped. I reset it to factory and then set it back up. I also ran the OLED screen clearing yesterday and again last night.

Today, it seems somewhat even worse than before (although it may be due to me noticing it more because I know where to look). It is even throwing off the colors that are dead in the center of the display. Skin tones are greenish, where skin tones anywhere else look normal.

After running all of yesterday with a wide variety of content, this is beginning to appear to me to be burn-in and not normal image retention (I've seen image retention with the set and it's so minor not to both me, it also does go away and is not a problem).

I'm currently running the full screen clearing again now, and I will continue to run it twice a day, every day this week, all the while throwing lots of content at it to see if I can get it to disappear.

If this doesn't work, I think this is going back to the store and I'm just going to have to double the price and purchase a new 2017 65" LG OLED and hope for the best.

I'll keep the thread updated on the progress.. Even if this is true burn in, I honestly can't see not going with OLED. So - right now, I'm tending to believe the people who have experienced burn in with these 2016 sets over the "OLED can't burn-in crowd".

But that's just initial impressions over 48 hours... Subject to change..

Ashhong

I would be careful with this firmware since it apparently raises the TVs black level, thus destroying perfect blacks.

Son of a bitch I think I just enabled auto updates last night

Has anyone updated their LG OLED to firmware version 5.30.03 that was released yesterday? Before I upgrade, I am wondering if it fixes the issues with delayed audio over optical and HDMI ARC.

Thanks all!

I don't notice any delay in the audio with mine. Have you tried changing the setting for sync issues? And do you have trumotion on?

Right, so this is really the next step for me, if I ever decide to continue with external pattern generation.

Yes or you get a different meter that isn't supported. It's more of an upgrade in quality of life changes. Plus the overall speed of the process. If you get Calman you can use mobileforge which is a free pattern generator as well.

Not the version I have, but I have yet to purchase an OLED, so not a biggie for me.
Yeah I'm not really sure when the last update was. I want to say maybe mid 2016. I always check out the various user forums for other offerings, ArgyllCMS, HCFR, etc. Though I really only use Calman now and every now and then mess with Chromapure 3.

Yes, learning is key, as it is a bit of a trial by fire. Anyone that does not have a lot of confidence in their ability to really dig in to figure it out maybe pass. I know for me, it was about 20 hours investment, if not more. And I treated it like I would a college level course.
Yeah it isn't too bad. That was 20 hours of study and trial and error on your display. Most of which can be applied to all, but then when you start to factor in various display types, various manufactures color decoding anomalies, source, it is a little bit more time.

BTW, about 6 months ago, I purchased R. Masciola's HDR test patterns. Have you had good experience with these? My set doesn't reach 1000 nits but it was interesting to see where its limitations were.

I used them for a bit because I wasn't willing to buy in integral to inject metadata lol. They are pretty good, just have to make sure you use it from a source that's external, such an a UHD blu ray player. I believe he just released a disc version as I received an email about it.

The only thing I do not like about it is that you are limited to specific window sizes with set APL. Sometimes I don't want a 5% or 10% window.

That's really the beauty of pattern generators I can specify any window and APL size want, inject HDR10 or DV or HLG. Plus know manually changing the pattern.

Ashhong

You guys were right about the DSE on the LG OLED, I think it's pretty much all gone already.

One thing I noticed though, is that my panel has a very very slight bend about halfway above the electronics butt. It seems like it would be pretty common since the panel is so thin and fragile at that point. Has anybody heard of any reports of this? I know it doesn't affect the picture but damn if it doesn't bother me.

I'm finding the HDR specific settings for the LG C7 confusing. I know of game mode appearing dim, but other modes are quite dim as well.

Ordinarily I have OLED light settings in the 30s but here it defaults to 100 and still is too dark (HDR cinema).

Is there a good idea of what settings I should be using for HDR Cinema and Game? Or is this how it should be? I haven't messed with HDR content before this.

Ashhong

I'm finding the HDR specific settings for the LG C7 confusing. I know of game mode appearing dim, but other modes are quite dim as well.

Ordinarily I have OLED light settings in the 30s but here it defaults to 100 and still is too dark (HDR cinema).

Is there a good idea of what settings I should be using for HDR Cinema and Game? Or is this how it should be? I haven't messed with HDR content before this.

What content are you watching? The only one I've tried is Grand Tour from the Amazon app, and it gets pretty bright with HDR. I don't really have much other content to test it with though

I also find the settings confusing though. Especially when trying to follow Rtings guide for it. Do I need to change any other settings other than Cinema mode? Too many settings!

Poppyseed

Make sure Dynamic Contrast is set to LOW for HDR on the 2017 LG OLEDs. This doesn't actually enable Dynamic Contrast, but enables Dynamic Metadata for HDR. LG needs a punch for all the confusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9OvPfPd8s0#t=10m10s

What content are you watching? The only one I've tried is Grand Tour from the Amazon app, and it gets pretty bright with HDR. I don't really have much other content to test it with though

I also find the settings confusing though. Especially when trying to follow Rtings guide for it. Do I need to change any other settings other than Cinema mode? Too many settings!

I tried a couple movies on Amazon, and Knack 2 on my PS4.

I messed around with additional settings and it has gotten better.

Make sure Dynamic Contrast is set to LOW for HDR on the 2017 LG OLEDs. This doesn't actually enable Dynamic Contrast, but enables Dynamic Metadata for HDR. LG needs a punch for all the confusion.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Anarion07

What about the 2016 models?
Watching The Man in the High Castle in HDR is really dark in dark scenes, HDR Bright mode.
switching dynamic contrast off will make it even darker, got it on medium now, OLED light 100, Brightness 51

ToD_

Just keep in mind this should only be enabled for HDR content. Dynamic Contrast (active HDR) will simulate dynamic metadata from static metadata. It should be left disabled for Dolby Vision content, however, since DV already has dynamic metadata. On for HDR and off for DV are the default settings and should be left alone.

In addition, contrast, brightness, and OLED light should be left untouched for HDR and DV content. Changing these values will interfere with tone mapping.

I'm going to be purchasing a new OLED LG and trying to decide between the C7 and E7. I have some very specific questions that are hard to find answers to. I'm mainly trying to decide between getting a C7 and a JS9 soundbar or getting the E7 and using the integrated soundbar for a while. Can anyone help?

C7 + JS9
Pros:
JS9 is 5.1 and better quality overall than the integrated soundbar on the E7
C7 is less expensive and has an overall cleaner look
Do not have to worry about integrated soundbar if wall mounted in the future
Soundbar can be replaced/updated as technology changes

Cons:
JS9 is 2.28" high and potentially blocks the screen slightly and/or the IR input

Questions:
How many inches/mm is it from the base of the stand to the bezel? Basically, what is the distance from whatever it is mounted on to where the picture is displayed? I'm trying to figure out the maximum height I can have on a soundbar without impacting the viewing area... which leads to my next question.

For those that have a LG SJ9 paired with the C7, are there any problems with it blocking the screen or IR input?

E7:
Pros:
Integrated soundbar with 4.2 and can upgrade to JS9 later
No issues blocking screen or IR if upgrading to the JS9 later due to the extra height added by the integrated unit

Cons:
Not as clean looking as the C7 (debatable?)
Having the integrated soundbar may look redundant/dumb after upgrading to a JS9 or another soundbar

Questions:
I know that the soundbar is integrated and cannot be removed but can you remove the 'stand' beneath the soundbar (mainly asking in case I decide to wall mount at some point)?

sHOfyin.png

How is the sound quality on the integrated soundbar? Any issues with dialogue volume or balance?

Other thoughts:
While the C7 looks cleaner without the integrated soundbar, the E7 may be a cleaner look in actuality since there will not be a soundbar placed in front of the unit.

Adding a soundbar negates the cost savings of the C7 versus the E7 and the JS9 is expensive for a soundbar ($800+).

For anyone in Canada Best Buy currently has all of their open box TVs for 50% of MSRP. I was able to get a XBR55X900E for $999 CAD for myself and a UN55MU7600 for my brother at $799. Chance are all of the good stuff is gone now, but it might still be worth checking out for people in BC.

Ashhong

I'm going to be purchasing a new OLED LG and trying to decide between the C7 and E7. I have some very specific questions that are hard to find answers to. I'm mainly trying to decide between getting a C7 and a JS9 soundbar or getting the E7 and using the integrated soundbar for a while. Can anyone help?

C7 + JS9
Pros:

Cons:
JS9 is 2.28" high and potentially blocks the screen slightly and/or the IR input

Questions:
How many inches/mm is it from the base of the stand to the bezel? Basically, what is the distance from whatever it is mounted on to where the picture is displayed? I'm trying to figure out the maximum height I can have on a soundbar without impacting the viewing area... which leads to my next question.

For those that have a LG SJ9 paired with the C7, are there any problems with it blocking the screen or IR input?

E7:
Pros:
No issues blocking screen or IR if upgrading to the JS9 later due to the extra height added by the integrated unit

Cons:
Having the integrated soundbar may look redundant/dumb after upgrading to a JS9 or another soundbar

Questions:
I know that the soundbar is integrated and cannot be removed but can you remove the 'stand' beneath the soundbar (mainly asking in case I decide to wall mount at some point)?

https://i.imgur.com/sHOfyin.png[img]

How is the sound quality on the integrated soundbar? Any issues with dialogue volume or balance?

Other thoughts:
While the C7 looks cleaner without the integrated soundbar, the E7 may be a cleaner look in actuality since there will not be a soundbar placed in front of the unit.

Adding a soundbar negates the cost savings of the C7 versus the E7 and the JS9 is expensive for a soundbar ($800+).[/QUOTE]

I don't have the specific equipment you are asking about BUT the C7 is even lower than the B7 IIRC, and my soundbar covers the bottom of my B7 by about half an inch, and I am certain that yours would too. However this doesn't impact the IR sensor. I am going to assume the TV uses RF rather than IR because it works so perfectly.

That being said, can you not mount it? That's what I am going to do solely because my soundbar covers the TV when I'm in bed.

e90Mark

C7 + JS9
Pros:

Cons:

Questions:

E7:
Pros:

Cons:

Questions:

sHOfyin.png

Other thoughts:

Adding a soundbar negates the cost savings of the C7 versus the E7 and the JS9 is expensive for a soundbar ($800+).
The SJ9 has been seen once for $400. If you were going to buy retail, I couldn't recommend it. You could build a legitimate 3.1 with AVR for the price. Maybe even a 5.1, depending on equipment.

If you're just going to stick with a soundbar, I would probably go with the E7 or SJ8 with integrated stand and C7. Whatever's cheaper.
Apple TV bit of presser starting now FYI

DV confirmed

No mention of Atmos. Booo.
I wante to pre-order, but also want to wait on info about Atmos/DTS:X.

I can delegate the Shield to the bedroom after this info is available.

Damn, GotG2, Ghost in the Shell, and John Wick 2 looks too good on this OLED.
Can't wait to actually get a copy of Blade Runner from all the gushing on some of the reviews.

Anyone here with a Sony A1 OLED and PS4 Pro? Weird problem cropping up recently. After about 5 mins, a grey screen with the Bravia logo in the bottom right appears while playing PS4 (and only PS4). It's not my screensaver, and after switching the TV on and off it won't come back for the rest of the play session. It didn't happen for the first month or so, but happens all the time now. Can't figure it out and having trouble Googling it given the generic nature of the problem. Any other A1 owners here?

I now have had mine for a day or two, though thankfully I've not experienced this issue so far with my Pro.

Hopefully you figured something out or tried Kyoufu's fix. Before changing that HDCP setting though I'd try another cable to test it out, especially if you use things like the Netflix or Amazon apps for 4K HDR streaming.

Also, making sure you've updated the firmware. I remember when I first got my Pro hooked up to my previous TV and receiver it had some handshaking issues where I had to cycle through inputs sometimes until the next firmware update after which it seemingly went away.

Hi everyone! Sorry that I don't usually keep up with this stuff but I had 2 questions that I wasn't sure where else to ask.

1. (For a friend) Does a sub-50 inch 4K+HDR+FALD TV even exist right now? Or is there going to be one in the future? And how much are we looking at for that?

2. (For me) Is there going to be an affordable 24 inch(-ish) 4K+HDR TV now or in the future? And if so, what inputs are going to be on TVs like this? I have a need for as many inputs as possible. Any recommendations?

Thank you so much in advance!

Kambing

Pretty good news.

I emailed RTINGS about doing monitor reviews, and they responded with a picture of monitors and 'thanks for the suggestion. we are working on it' -- can attach a pic of the email later.

Know that some aren't a fan of RTINGS reviews, compared to say HDTVtest, but I really welcome this addition from them, especially for those who don't want to use a TV. Really feel like monitor reviews have been lacking, TFTcentral just do not publish as much lately.

Is HDR meant to make games darker? Or is my LG TV just shit?

LOL

HDR game mode turns down the brightness quite a bit, I agree. Turning dynamic contrast to low helps a bit, but yeah - I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't know if I like HDR games much right now. Normal mode is much more vibrant and colorful.

I bought a C7

Holy cow

So nervous to test whether it's a good one, I'm usually rather unlucky with this shit. Beyond excited to finally have an OLED though..

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
LOL

HDR game mode turns down the brightness quite a bit, I agree. Turning dynamic contrast to low helps a bit, but yeah - I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't know if I like HDR games much right now. Normal mode is much more vibrant and colorful.

Yeah, I honestly hate it. The difference in the FIFA 18 demo is night and day for me.

EDIT: WTF I can't enable dynamic contrast with HDR in the FIFA demo?

It's brighter in the pics but first is HDR second is SDR

I thought HDR was meant to make the colors pop?

DJj2R-ZWsAERWRq.jpg

DJj2VXYWAAAfbRT.jpg

julrik

Hi everyone! Sorry that I don't usually keep up with this stuff but I had 2 questions that I wasn't sure where else to ask.

1. (For a friend) Does a sub-50 inch 4K+HDR+FALD TV even exist right now? Or is there going to be one in the future? And how much are we looking at for that?

2. (For me) Is there going to be an affordable 24 inch(-ish) 4K+HDR TV now or in the future? And if so, what inputs are going to be on TVs like this? I have a need for as many inputs as possible. Any recommendations?

Thank you so much in advance!
1. The Sony X900E is available in 49". That's the smallest FALD available today.
2. Don't know. Sorry.

BumRush

Pretty good news.

I emailed RTINGS about doing monitor reviews, and they responded with a picture of monitors and 'thanks for the suggestion. we are working on it' -- can attach a pic of the email later.

Know that some aren't a fan of RTINGS reviews, compared to say HDTVtest, but I really welcome this addition from them, especially for those who don't want to use a TV. Really feel like monitor reviews have been lacking, TFTcentral just do not publish as much lately.

Really cool! Thanks for the update.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
And now dynamic contrast is greyed out in every picture mode? wtf? I havent even updated my lg tv recently, it was fine the other day

I hate the way an HDR game running makes the PS4 interface look like crap when you switch to it.
The blue goes dull, and the white text goes grey.

Also when you play HDR 4K test content on the LG YouTube app some of it causes the HDR icon to appear in the top right smf some doesn't. Why is that ? If YouTube can't play at original 4K is the downsampled video not HDR anymore?

Honestly this HDR thing is messing up everything.

When you change tv picture settings for HDR they may not be what you want for non HDR. When you play more than one source through an AV receiver your tv settings must apply to that entire AV receiver.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I hate the way an HDR game running makes the PS4 interface look like crap when you switch to it.
The blue goes dull, and the white text goes grey.

Also when you play HDR 4K test content on the LG YouTube app some of it causes the HDR icon to appear in the top right smf some doesn't. Why is that ? If YouTube can't play at original 4K is the downsampled video not HDR anymore?

Honestly this HDR thing is messing up everything.

When you change tv picture settings for HDR they may not be what you want for non HDR. When you play more than one source through an AV receiver your tv settings must apply to that entire AV receiver.

I'm going to guess Sony didn't want to have the PS4 switching modes every time you jump between ui and game since if you have a game running you're going to spend more time looking at the game then ui.

If stuff is washed its most likely because the backlight is maxed out when you are in hdr mode.

In regards to YouTube. A lot of stuff is labeled as hdr but it's often not...

nomis

For HDR games, is it better to be in regular input label Game mode to be able to turn Dynamic Contrast to Low to have the Tone Mapping, or to name the input PC and be able to use Cinema Home picture mode? Regular HDR10 content playing in Cinema Home has Dynamic Contrast turned on Low for the Tone Mapping, but HDR10 in Game Mode has it turned off by default anyways... I don't know what gives me the fewest drawbacks or if the Tone Mapping even helps in HDR games that I'm sure are mastered differently from HDR10 movie content.

O second that somehow HDR game mode is too dark

Is HDR meant to make games darker? Or is my LG TV just shit?

What's your RGB setting in HDR mode? Make sure it's set to Low on the TV and Limited on the PS4.

Also keep in mind your TV is a not a good HDR TV.

Seriously, holy shit

Why does the C7 look like shit in HDR game mode? I thought it was just the 2016 models?

Played some Forza, and it looks miles worse than it did on the Sony X900E.

Close to a dealbreaker for me, this. Or am I fucking up some settings?

You other guys talking about 2017 OLEDs too?

Schlomo

For HDR games, is it better to be in regular input label Game mode to be able to turn Dynamic Contrast to Low to have the Tone Mapping, or to name the input PC and be able to use Cinema Home picture mode? Regular HDR10 content playing in Cinema Home has Dynamic Contrast turned on Low for the Tone Mapping, but HDR10 in Game Mode has it turned off by default anyways... I don't know what gives me the fewest drawbacks or if the Tone Mapping even helps in HDR games that I'm sure are mastered differently from HDR10 movie content.

PC mode can't properly display HDR with the current firmware, so you have to switch to another input label and use Game Mode.

Top Bottom