• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Are you sure your C7 was OK? I ditched the Sony ZD9 after it broke three time and went for the C7 and apart from it being a little dimmer in HDR I found it superior in every other way, including color accuracy.

Well, there's always differences between panels, so maybe my C7 is less accurate out of the box than yours. But apart from the pitch black darkness-brightness high contrast scenes where OLED shines, the picture on the X900E was just as impressive as the C7 if not more so.

MazeHaze

Banned
It is the TV. Using HDR on the C7 is cumbersome, and the HDR Game Mode is awful. There's workarounds for now, but it's been disappointing to me overall. I haven't even touched that FIFA demo. The much cheaper X900E has been a much better experience HDR-wise.
How is it cumbersome? It's been a set it and forget it situation for me.

Maybe you got a bad set? The HDR on mine is crazy good looking. Even watching Iron Fist (never thought the Marvel HDR shows were impressive at ALL on my KS8000) has been a revelation. The color, those peak highlights next to perfect black, everything about it looks leaps and bounds above LED imo.

Edit:. Not saying the x900e is a bad set. It was one I was considering, but then the x930e looked even better, so I was going to get that, but then I was only 100 dollars away from OLED. The Sonys are excellent, but better pq than OLED is crazy talk imo.

How is it cumbersome? It's been a set it and forget it situation for me.

Maybe you got a bad set? The HDR on mine is crazy good looking. Even watching Iron Fist (never thought the Marvel HDR shows were impressive at ALL on my KS8000) has been a revelation. The color, those peak highlights next to perfect black, everything about it looks leaps and bounds above LED imo.

It's cumbersome because if you want to play a HDR Game, you can't just select HDR Game and expect it to look good. Like I said, there's workarounds, but there shouldn't have to be. It's much more hassle-free on the X900E.

I've been clear in saying the scenes with perfect black are impressive; of course they are. In evenly lit scenes, however, the OLED is not better than much cheaper 2017 LED sets like the X900E.

MazeHaze

Banned
It's cumbersome because if you want to play a HDR Game, you can't just select HDR Game and expect it to look good. Like I said, there's workarounds, but there shouldn't have to be. It's much more hassle-free on the X900E.

I've been clear in saying the scenes with perfect black are impressive; of course they are. In evenly lit scenes, however, the OLED is not better than much cheaper 2017 LED sets like the X900E.
I wouldn't call it cumbersome. You just select the PC icon when you label the input and you can use whatever HDR mode you want. From then on, the TV auto switches to whichever setting you chose. If I boot an HDR game, my TV auto switches to HDR cinema and keeps the 21ms lag. I never even have to think about it.

I'd say OLED is even worth it for the perfect black bars alone. Any kind of night time viewing and I forget the black bars are even there, it's just a floating rectangle, like a movie theater screen.

I wouldn't call it cumbersome. You just select the PC icon when you label the input and you can use whatever HDR mode you want. From then on, the TV auto switches to whichever setting you chose. If I boot an HDR game, my TV auto switches to HDR cinema and keeps the 21ms lag. I never even have to think about it.

I'd say OLED is even worth it for the perfect black bars alone. Any kind of night time viewing and I forget the black bars are even there, it's just a floating rectangle, like a movie theater screen.
First of all, having to label inputs is a tad ridiculous imo. It's only due to websites like Rtings that we know these types of workarounds to begin with. The only way to get decent HDR in a game with low input lag is to do shit like this. That's cumbersome.

I'll give an example. I use my XB1S to play HDR games and play blu-rays. Now, if I want decent HDR in Forza Horizon, I have to do the label input thing. Then, if I want the best 24p motion for my movies, I have to de-label the input as PC to gain access to all the motion processing options. It should be as easy as switching picture modes, but those are botched.

Just trying to say that even if it isn't an issue in your use case, there's still a host of issues with the OS that shouldn't have to be there. We're way more well-informed than most people. Most people won't find out that you don't have to make a decision between crappy HDR and high input lag.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Does anybody have any experience with the Sharp lc-32cfg6022k? I can't find many reviews online.

I need a cheaper tv for college, and this would cost me just 170£, but I'd still like to buy something decent.

but the hdr game mode works like intended and looks amazing on my set - there is no difference when setting it to pc - thats the main reason why i was thinking your TV may be broken

except for a small dip in peak brightness it looks just as good as the ZD9

but the hdr game mode works like intended and looks amazing on my set - there is no difference when setting it to pc - thats the main reason why i was thinking your TV may be broken

except for a small dip in peak brightness it looks just as good as the ZD9

I won't repeat what I've explained above - that'd be boring. Regarding your point about settings - I'm not convinced it was or should be 'intended' to have decent HDR with low input lag only when you give an HDMI input a specific picture icon.

Kudo

I ordered 55" LG B7 month ago with the promise of delivery this month, 25th to be exact.
Few more weeks to go until I can cleanse my eyes with OLED goodness.

What do you peeps think, should I have the brightness lower for the first weeks or just go all in? Still bit worried about burn-in.

I guess the x930e might be the best bet due to the fairly uniform panel/back. Too bad Sony decided to go with Android TV. From all reports (few posts above this even) it's slow, under-powered and buggy. Wonder if using the Apple TV nearly exclusively would avoid having to deal with that...

It won't solve the problems completely, but I'll be able to share my personal experience in about two weeks from now.

As soon as I get the 4K AppleTV, I plan to disconnect my 930D from the Internet. Really hoping that solves some of the performance problems.

I won't repeat what I've explained above - that'd be boring. Regarding your point about settings - I'm not convinced it was or should be 'intended' to have decent HDR with low input lag only when you give an HDMI input a specific picture icon.

thats's what im talking about - i dont have to set my input to PC to have descent hdr - the only case where the pc setting is changing something is when you feed the tv 4:4:4 color - then you have to use the pc input setting
but consoles only us 4:2:0 for hdr - pc mode shouldn't make a difference here, and on my set it does not make a difference (firmware 3.60.15)

Theonik

External boxes are always the better option overall if not because it means you don't have to throw away your TV when it becomes unsupported.

e90Mark

The first time I watched a movie at night and realized this, I knew there was no going back. Truly a quality upgrade.
The benefit of getting the 4k Apple TV now is I bet apps are updated more frequently. So you'll probably have Netflix and Amazon with Dolby Vision support on 4k Apple TV before you will for the Sony TV apps. While Amazon won't be there at launch it will be before years end with Dolby Vision support:

https://ce-pro.eu/2017/09/apple-tv-4k-lacks-dolby-atmos-feature-dolby-vision/

Too bad there is no Atmos support
This is what's making me waffle on a purchase tomorrow. I have a 5.2.2 and I'd like for the height channels to be there. Also wondering about whether Apple will be forcing 60hz without being able to change to 24.

The first time I watched a movie at night and realized this, I knew there was no going back. Truly a quality upgrade.

This is what's making me waffle on a purchase tomorrow. I have a 5.2.2 and I'd like for the height channels to be there. Also wondering about whether Apple will be forcing 60hz without being able to change to 24.

It's absolutely baffling to me that many of these streaming boxes don't properly support 24p output.

thats's what im talking about - i dont have to set my input to PC to have descent hdr - the only case where the pc setting is changing something is when you feed the tv 4:4:4 color - then you have to use the pc input setting
but consoles only us 4:2:0 for hdr - pc mode shouldn't make a difference here, and on my set it does not make a difference (firmware 3.60.15)
So your HDR Game Mode (do check whether that's your setting; going from game mode to HDR defaults to a different HDR mode) can look as good, bright and accurate as the other HDR modes without going into PC input mode?

So your HDR Game Mode (do check whether that's your setting; going from game mode to HDR defaults to a different HDR mode) can look as good, bright and accurate as the other HDR modes without going into PC input mode?

Yes, checked it again just to make sure

PC Mode HDR Standard
dcixl8Pr.jpg

Game Mode HDR Game
7OEKrozr.jpg

Game Mode had color 5 points higher - thats the only difference between the two screens.

Really strange that you where having severe brightness issues

The other difference ist just from the camera as the sun in the rooms was getting brighter

zeomax

I recommend setting the input to PC mode for consoles, which reduces lag for all inputs (same amount as game mode) and allows for full calibration and 4:4:4 chroma. For HDR content set the picture mode to HDR Standard when in PC mode, which does get bright and looks good.

If i do this i have a lot of banding artifacts in games, like in this video. How do i get rid of the bandings with my PS4 Pro?

Yes, checked it again just to make sure

PC Mode HDR Standard
dcixl8Pr.jpg

Game Mode HDR Game
7OEKrozr.jpg

Game Mode had color 5 points higher - thats the only difference between the two screens.

Really strange that you where having severe brightness issues
Heh, I also often use The Witness as a test case.

That does look very similar! I'll run a couple of tests again tonight. Most of my problems are on XB1S. I can't make Forza Horizon 3 look even halfway decent in HDR Game. Looked great on the X900E.

Side note: that Witness opening loading screen causes some serious image retention! :)

If i do this i have a lot of banding artifacts in games, like in this video. How do i get rid of the bandings with my PS4 Pro?

Set resolution to 2160 RGB. This will use RGB for all 8 bit stuff and drop you down to 422 or 420, as is appropriate for HDR 10 bit stuff.

Idr what to set black level too, but someone here can probably jump in and tell you...

Set resolution to 2160 RGB. This will use RGB for all 8 bit stuff and drop you down to 422 or 420, as is appropriate for HDR 10 bit stuff.

Idr what to set black level too, but someone here can probably jump in and tell you...

If you use full in your ps4 set it to high, of you use limited use low.
Auto setting is broken so dont use it.
I recommend using limited and low, there is no benefit in using full and high.

RockmanBN

Looking to upgrade from my 5 year old tv. Got around $1500 to spend. Heard that the new Samsung model isn't as good as the KS8000 one, LG C7 is a bit too expensive, but I don't know how much TV's drop around Black Friday. Don't know whether to get lucky with the C7 on sale or get Sony x900e. I'm no TV buff, but I'll primarily be using the TV for gaming.

zeomax

Thats the settings i already use. PS4 and TV are set to limited/low.

Looking to upgrade from my 5 year old tv. Got around $1500 to spend. Heard that the new Samsung model isn't as good as the KS8000 one, LG C7 is a bit too expensive, but I don't know how much TV's drop around Black Friday. Don't know whether to get lucky with the C7 on sale or get Sony x900e. I'm no TV buff, but I'll primarily be using the TV for gaming.

You should consider a B6 if it is still available.

Thats the settings i already use. PS4 and TV are set to limited/low.

To be absolutely clear, I believe the setting is different for PS4 Pro and PS4.

The issue where black level is "broken" is only a PS4 issue as far as I know, and doesn't impact Pro.

This was discussed pages ago in this thread iirc...

MazeHaze

Banned
Heh, I also often use The Witness as a test case.

That does look very similar! I'll run a couple of tests again tonight. Most of my problems are on XB1S. I can't make Forza Horizon 3 look even halfway decent in HDR Game. Looked great on the X900E.

Side note: that Witness opening loading screen causes some serious image retention! :)
Just checked Horizon in HDR game (hadn't tried any ps4 HDR yet on this TV, just PC)

Looks the same as when in PC mode. I did find that HDR game defaults black level to low, had to switch that to avoid crushed blacks. Maybe that's why you had issues with it.

ss_lemonade

On a standard PS4, you need to be on full/high when it comes to HDR content, else you end up with crushed blacks. This was the case with my ks9000. On a PS4 Pro, I don't think the black level option is even selectable on Samsung TVs when outputting HDR, unlike a standard PS4 which does allow you to change black level.

Wiped89

Guys, has anyone else been *ruined* by their OLED and unable to enjoy other screens properly?

I got a Switch last night (yay!) but every time I go from docked on the TV back to handheld mode, my eyes throw up a little at that drab, lifeless screen (by comparison).

Maybe I just need more time to get used to it.

Kyoufu

Guys, has anyone else been *ruined* by their OLED and unable to enjoy other screens properly?

I got a Switch last night (yay!) but every time I go from docked on the TV back to handheld mode, my eyes throw up a little at that drab, lifeless screen (by comparison).

Maybe I just need more time to get used to it.

Once you go black, you never go back. Or something.

Hawk269

I recommend setting the input to PC mode for consoles, which reduces lag for all inputs (same amount as game mode) and allows for full calibration and 4:4:4 chroma. For HDR content set the picture mode to HDR Standard when in PC mode, which does get bright and looks good. Setting color temperature to W50 looks fairly close to D65. I find this a very acceptable way to play games.

This is just for the 2017 LG OLEDS. Don't use this if you have a 2016 model or other model TV, obviously.

Out of the box white balance was actually very good on my C7 using the recommended modes (ISF Dark, Warm 2). Made some small adjustments using a meter and HCFR.

Can you explain how to do this? I found a menu on my E7 that allowed me to change HDMI2 to PC, but I could not see how to change the HDR mode like you mentioned. I have only had the set for less than 4 days now so still learning, but the drab HDR is bringing me down and I fear that I made a major mistake. I had a 75" ZD9 on hold at an incredible price of $6000.00 but decided to go with the E7 and I feel a little unhappy...they already sold the ZD9 75" so unless I go to a 65 ZD9 or I get HDR to look decent on the E7.

No manual and I have no internet at home (new house), so if you can walk me through how to change the input to PC and be able to change HDR to Normal like you mention it would be greatly appreciated.

Hmm. Did you turn on HDMI UHD Color on the TV for the specific hdmi input you're connected to as was mentioned by RedlineRonin?
Probably not but just in case, are you connecting directly to the TV or are you using a receiver in between? A receiver would need to be one capable of passing both 4K and HDR and the receiver would also probably have a similar uhd or enhanced input setting to enable, I know mine did.

You were right, I finally found the setting. Totally was not in the video settings and in another other area. Had to turn on HDMI 1. Played Resogun in 4k HDR.......Godly!!! Tried out Lost World Blu-Ray (not 4k) and I still thought it looked absolutely amazing!

MazeHaze

Banned
Can you explain how to do this? I found a menu on my E7 that allowed me to change HDMI2 to PC, but I could not see how to change the HDR mode like you mentioned. I have only had the set for less than 4 days now so still learning, but the drab HDR is bringing me down and I fear that I made a major mistake. I had a 75" ZD9 on hold at an incredible price of $6000.00 but decided to go with the E7 and I feel a little unhappy...they already sold the ZD9 75" so unless I go to a 65 ZD9 or I get HDR to look decent on the E7.

No manual and I have no internet at home (new house), so if you can walk me through how to change the input to PC and be able to change HDR to Normal like you mention it would be greatly appreciated.
Go to the source menu (hit the source button, and then the bottom option). Select 'change icon" and change it to PC. Start up an HDR game, and select whichever HDR mode you prefer with the settings button.

You were right, I finally found the setting. Totally was not in the video settings and in another other area. Had to turn on HDMI 1. Played Resogun in 4k HDR.......Godly!!! Tried out Lost World Blu-Ray (not 4k) and I still thought it looked absolutely amazing!

Seriously, dumbest thing ever. Not sure why you'd ever want to have it off?

Something i'd hope that's better standardized for next year.

FWIW, it's the same on LG. In like the general settings or something. Not even in the video menu.

Hawk269

Go to the source menu (hit the source button, and then the bottom option). Select 'change icon" and change it to PC. Start up an HDR game, and select whichever HDR mode you prefer with the settings button.

Thank You. And in any of the HDR modes will it still have the low input lag? I thought I say a screen from someones phone on the previous page that showed input lag in PC mode when in HDR is almost double that of HDR Game Mode. I just love the screen and gaming is fantastic in game mode, it is just when I hit Game Mode w/HDR that it makes it feel like I made a mistake and more and more games coming will be in HDR.

Thank You. And in any of the HDR modes will it still have the low input lag? I thought I say a screen from someones phone on the previous page that showed input lag in PC mode when in HDR is almost double that of HDR Game Mode. I just love the screen and gaming is fantastic in game mode, it is just when I hit Game Mode w/HDR that it makes it feel like I made a mistake and more and more games coming will be in HDR.
Had the same thing earlier, you might want to read through the last page or so for more information.

MazeHaze

Banned
Yep, any of the PC modes will still give you the 21ms input lag. I find Standard with the warmth slider adjusted looks the best.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finally bit the bullet and ordered a 49" x900e. excited to finally get into hdr, despite my reservations about the set's 30+ms input lag. everything else seems fantastic but i just can't shake the feeling that this is going to end up being the dealbreaker for me.

i asked in the settings thread but i figure i might as well ask here too - is there anyone who uses this set on a pc in 120Hz mode and how responsive is it?

Top Bottom