• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Yeah, I honestly hate it. The difference in the FIFA 18 demo is night and day for me.

EDIT: WTF I can't enable dynamic contrast with HDR in the FIFA demo?

It's brighter in the pics but first is HDR second is SDR

I thought HDR was meant to make the colors pop?

DJj2R-ZWsAERWRq.jpg

DJj2VXYWAAAfbRT.jpg

Worst HDR i ever seen... Disable it...

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
What's your RGB setting in HDR mode? Make sure it's set to Low on the TV and Limited on the PS4.

Also keep in mind your TV is a not a good HDR TV.

How do I do that? And yeah its a budget 4k TV, got it even cheaper because a lady won it in a radio competition haha, but it'll tide me over until G-Sync 4K HDR monitors hit

EDIT: It's definitely fifa at fault, Uncharted looked amazing but this looks awful

21744408_677862942410127_838337395_n.jpg

21729272_677862955743459_1036383745_n.jpg

Okay, so...having had a Sony X900E and with a LG C7 OLED currently in my house, my advice is very simple

GET THE SONY

What a letdown, man. Combination of really disappointing HDR gaming and poor colour accuracy out of the box. The Sony was miles better at both.

ToD_

Seriously, holy shit

Why does the C7 look like shit in HDR game mode? I thought it was just the 2016 models?

Played some Forza, and it looks miles worse than it did on the Sony X900E.

Close to a dealbreaker for me, this. Or am I fucking up some settings?

You other guys talking about 2017 OLEDs too?

I recommend setting the input to PC mode for consoles, which reduces lag for all inputs (same amount as game mode) and allows for full calibration and 4:4:4 chroma. For HDR content set the picture mode to HDR Standard when in PC mode, which does get bright and looks good. Setting color temperature to W50 looks fairly close to D65. I find this a very acceptable way to play games.

This is just for the 2017 LG OLEDS. Don't use this if you have a 2016 model or other model TV, obviously.

Out of the box white balance was actually very good on my C7 using the recommended modes (ISF Dark, Warm 2). Made some small adjustments using a meter and HCFR.

I recommend setting the input to PC mode for consoles, which reduces lag for all inputs (same amount as game mode) and allows for full calibration and 4:4:4 chroma. For HDR content set the picture mode to HDR Standard when in PC mode, which does get bright and looks good. Setting color temperature to W50 looks fairly close to D65. I find this a very acceptable way to play games.

This is just for the 2017 LG OLEDS. Don't use this if you have a 2016 model or other model TV, obviously.

Out of the box white balance was actually very good on my C7 using the recommended modes (ISF Dark, Warm 2). Made some small adjustments using a meter and HCFR.
That's very helpful, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

ElNino

Doesn't HDR Standard (or Cinema) have much higher input lat though? On my B7 I've been using HDR Game for my Xbox One and PS4 Pro input, with the PC mode set for non-HDR games.

For HDR content besides games (UHD Blu-Ray, Netflix, Amazon Video), I've been using HDR Cinema mode. I'm still dialing in my settings but so far this has worked okay for me.

Adobe

Okay, so...having had a Sony X900E and with a LG C7 OLED currently in my house, my advice is very simple

GET THE SONY

What a letdown, man. Combination of really disappointing HDR gaming and poor colour accuracy out of the box. The Sony was miles better at both.

But the blacks tho!

Kyoufu

Okay I tried the FIFA 18 demo on my E6 and the HDR looks absolutely TERRIBLE. Way too dark even on the brightest picture modes. Horrible implementation.

oakenhild

GET THE SONY

Minor nitpick, but would be nice if the x900e was thinner so it would look better wall mounted. I would buy it now, but just feels like it wouldn't look great on my wall compared to the 930e or C7 (need to wait for deals on these, I guess).

Lashley

Okay I tried the FIFA 18 demo on my E6 and the HDR looks absolutely TERRIBLE. Way too dark even on the brightest picture modes. Horrible implementation.

Thank God it isn't just my budget TV then, I tried everything, HDR standard mode is passable but not good enough. I'll turn it off.

Thanks for checking btw

Minor nitpick, but would be nice if the x900e was thinner so it would look better wall mounted. I would buy it now, but just feels like it wouldn't look great on my wall compared to the 930e or C7 (need to wait for deals on these, I guess).

X900E is plenty thin irl, but it's not a bad idea to wait on a deal for the X930E. It's like a beast mode X900E.

Everything settings-wise is completely hassle-free on the Sony compared to all the possible pitfalls on the OLED.

First impressions re: the suggestions above are pretty positive though. Still visibly not as accurate as the Sony out of the box, but better than before.

ToD_

Doesn't HDR Standard (or Cinema) have much higher input lat though? On my B7 I've been using HDR Game for my Xbox One and PS4 Pro input, with the PC mode set for non-HDR games.

For HDR content besides games (UHD Blu-Ray, Netflix, Amazon Video), I've been using HDR Cinema mode. I'm still dialing in my settings but so far this has worked okay for me.

According to Rtings enabling PC mode with HDR provides the same input lag as game mode. Using HDR Standard with PC mode was also suggested by an AVS member. I have no way of running a proper test for this, unfortunately. The PC mode does it for other HDR modes, so I don't see why standard would be an exception.

I would only recommend PC mode with HDR Standard for games. For other content you're better off disabling PC mode and using the Cinema preset. Disabling PC mode gives you access to real cinema and other motion processing options, which may be desirable. And the Cinema preset allows for a more accurate picture.

TheBear

I'm so confused now. I was all ready to jump into the C7 but now hearing the HDR sucks makes me think I should get the X9300. Which is a bummer because I really wanted an OLED

Are these two my only options in the 55inch range?

Lashley

This method for low latency only works on 2017 LG OLEDs. Of course, if you prefer to use HDR standard on your TV that is totally fine.

Aye at this point I dont mind the input lag

EDIT: Admittedly I thought it did work too, since this was in the review

DJj3pnBW0AE7vw2.jpg

I'm so confused now. I was all ready to jump into the C7 but now hearing the HDR sucks makes me think I should get the X9300. Which is a bummer because I really wanted an OLED

It's not like you're going for a lesser model if it's not OLED. Honestly, OLED become rather overhyped (or at least, that's how I feel now that I own one).

The X90E and TCL are solid cheaper options.

nomis

i lucked into almost this exact same setup on ootb firmware B7 (bought this week, i had heard the latest firmware borked the black level or something). Only difference is that i’m on W30 because that is what Cinema Home is by default and seemed sufficiently warm. HDR Standard gave me almost the entire in game brightness slider to play with in Uncharted:TLL and Horizon ZD. I settled on 2/10 in game for eye comfort in a dark room but the highlights still looked great and punchy.

What do you recommend for Color value?

MazeHaze

Banned

The HDR is great, you just have to label the input as PC. Same lag as game mode you can use any HDR setting.

Been playing Shadow Warrior 2 on my PC in HDR on a B7 and it looks fantastic.

OLED isn't overrated imo. Came from a Samsung KS8000, GAFs favorite TV, which I loved. OLEd is a pretty substantial difference.

This did help quite a bit, thanks. I could be happy with this PQ if I was stuck with the TV.

However, I'm upgrading from a non-HDR 4K and I'd rather wait a little longer for the tech to mature. I've decided to return it and hold on to the old TV a little longer :)

The OLED image retention in HDR mode is very noticeable as well, and a little concerning to be honest. Not a fan of all the banding either.

On the Sony X900E, the downsides are things like subtitles looking ridiculously bright in HDR and some DSE/clouding. Also, the chipset really struggles when in HDR. Changing the volume can take 5 seconds to register due to the underpowered chipset.

All in all, I'd advise anyone without access to the TCL screens to wait another year. I hope HDR will be truly mainstream ready in 2018 (aided by HDMI 2.1). This year....not yet. Still way too many minor and major quirks.

Ashhong

I'm about to mount my B7 but don't think it will look that great mounted. The thinness of the panel is of course great, but the fat ass is a small turnoff.

Sooo....My samsung mu6500 65inch just came. I wanted to try ps4 first thing. Says HDR can not be enabled in my ps4 settings? Did I not get a HDR compatible TV or is there something more I need to do? Can someone direct link me to a tutorial?

Sooo....My samsung mu6500 65inch just came. I wanted to try ps4 first thing. Says HDR can not be enabled in my ps4 settings? Did I not get a HDR compatible TV or is there something more I need to do? Can someone direct link me to a tutorial?

Turn on deep color in your tv settings

Or whatever Samsung calls it. Uhd color or whatever.

Kyoufu

Yupppppppp

Or make it auto sensing like color space

On the LG OLEDs turning on/off Deep Colour requires a reboot so they probably can't do that but there's literally zero downside to keeping Deep Colour on so I wonder why they just leave the, enabled on a system level.

I still keep getting a message on ps4 saying my tv does not support hdr??? I can't find any tutorials on my model number for setting it up either?
samsung mu6500

Hmm. Did you turn on HDMI UHD Color on the TV for the specific hdmi input you're connected to as was mentioned by RedlineRonin?
Probably not but just in case, are you connecting directly to the TV or are you using a receiver in between? A receiver would need to be one capable of passing both 4K and HDR and the receiver would also probably have a similar uhd or enhanced input setting to enable, I know mine did.

Rtings said:
Most resolutions are supported. 4k @ 60 Hz @ 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 color is only supported when 'HDMI UHD color' is enabled for the input used.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu6500

oakenhild

I'm about to mount my B7 but don't think it will look that great mounted. The thinness of the panel is of course great, but the fat ass is a small turnoff.

Yea, was wondering about that as well. My problem is the layout of our room. TV is on a long wall by the stairs, so it's pretty obvious when you walk in and see the side/depth of the tv. Our current TV doesn't look all that great on the wall.

I guess the x930e might be the best bet due to the fairly uniform panel/back. Too bad Sony decided to go with Android TV. From all reports (few posts above this even) it's slow, under-powered and buggy. Wonder if using the Apple TV nearly exclusively would avoid having to deal with that...

Mrbob

The benefit of getting the 4k Apple TV now is I bet apps are updated more frequently. So you'll probably have Netflix and Amazon with Dolby Vision support on 4k Apple TV before you will for the Sony TV apps. While Amazon won't be there at launch it will be before years end with Dolby Vision support:

https://ce-pro.eu/2017/09/apple-tv-4k-lacks-dolby-atmos-feature-dolby-vision/

While Apple has managed to sweet talk Amazon into creating an app for its Apple TV platform, it won't arrive at the launch of the new model. Instead it's expected to arrive sometime later this year, complete with Dolby Vision and 4K movies from its extensive collection of TV shows and movies.

Too bad there is no Atmos support.

Anarion07

It's one game where the implementation of HDR sucks.

It's not the TV.

Whn do you guys reckon the "thinness" (is that a word?) of the LG W7 model will be mainstream? In two years? I mean, i want to buy a tv now, but i also would like a super thin
tv and also HDMI 2.1. But if it's five years in the future i guess i can't justify waiting..

Sorry for my shitty english.

Kyoufu

Whn do you guys reckon the "thinness" (is that a word?) of the LG W7 model will be mainstream? In two years? I mean, i want to buy a tv now, but i also would like a super thin
tv and also HDMI 2.1. But if it's five years in the future i guess i can't justify waiting..

Sorry for my shitty english.

Probably next year or two when LG use HDMI 2.1 on the W8/W9.

I'm thinking of trading in my Samsung 55KS8000 for an LG 55C6, which would cost me only €1200 then.

I've always wanted an OLED, and this TV seems the only decent one that has all my required features of 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and 3D (I still like playing games and watching movies in 3D). The input lag is a tiny bit higher, but still below 30ms with the newest firmware.

My main issues with the KS8000 is the horrible edge lighting and the color banding. When the screen is black and only a small icon is in the top right, almost half the screen starts bleeding gray which is just ugly. And the color banding is just distracting.

OK fuck it I'm buying it

Thanks

It's one game where the implementation of HDR sucks.

It's not the TV.
It is the TV. Using HDR on the C7 is cumbersome, and the HDR Game Mode is awful. There's workarounds for now, but it's been disappointing to me overall. I haven't even touched that FIFA demo. The much cheaper X900E has been a much better experience HDR-wise.

I guess the x930e might be the best bet due to the fairly uniform panel/back. Too bad Sony decided to go with Android TV. From all reports (few posts above this even) it's slow, under-powered and buggy. Wonder if using the Apple TV nearly exclusively would avoid having to deal with that...
It's slow on the X900E, but the X930E has a different chipset afaik. It hasn't been buggy at all. Very pleasant software experience apart from the slowness. And to clarify, the slowness is only when HDR content is playing. During SDR the speed is just fine.

I'm thinking of trading in my Samsung 55KS8000 for an LG 55C6, which would cost me only €1200 then.

I've always wanted an OLED, and this TV seems the only decent one that has all my required features of 4K, HDR10, Dolby Vision, and 3D (I still like playing games and watching movies in 3D). The input lag is a tiny bit higher, but still below 30ms with the newest firmware.

My main issues with the KS8000 is the horrible edge lighting and the color banding. When the screen is black and only a small icon is in the top right, almost half the screen starts bleeding gray which is just ugly. And the color banding is just distracting.
Unless you really value 3D, wait a year before buying into OLED. Even the 2017 series is far from perfect.

By the way, you can get a C6 without trade-in for around 1600,- in most of Europe. Don't sell your 55KS8000 for such a paltry amount. Or if you do, I'll buy it from you for 400,- :p

Unless you really value 3D, wait a year before buying into OLED. Even the 2017 series is far from perfect.

By the way, you can get a C6 without trade-in for around 1600,- in most of Europe. Don't sell your 55KS8000 for such a paltry amount. Or if you do, I'll buy it from you for 400,- :p

In the Netherlands the 55" C6 is priced at €1800,- so the trade-in value of my 55" KS8000 (KS7000 in the EU) is €600,- :p

GET THE SONY

Are you sure your C7 was OK? I ditched the Sony ZD9 after it broke three time and went for the C7 and apart from it being a little dimmer in HDR I found it superior in every other way, including color accuracy.

Top Bottom