• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

szaromir

Banned
In the short term, of course. Long term it's a bit tougher. Not just for him, but everyone. Just the nature of it all I guess.
I don't see what's tough other than being extremely tired after his season. Next year he's not going to have any different pressure than Murray or Djokovic, they expect themselves to win the tournament they play whether they're the defending champion or not. As far as rankings go, Nadal said that he's interested the most in the race, that he prefers to watch how he performs relatively to others since the beginning of January, kinda like leagues in team sports.

All that said, I'm hoping Djoker finally reverses his fortunes today.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I don't see what's tough other than being extremely tired after his season. Next year he's not going to have any different pressure than Murray or Djokovic, they expect themselves to win the tournament they play whether they're the defending champion or not. As far as rankings go, Nadal said that he's interested the most in the race, that he prefers to watch how he performs relatively to others since the beginning of January, kinda like leagues in team sports.

All that said, I'm hoping Djoker finally reverses his fortunes today.

Of course they all play to win, but it's just likely that he won't win everything that he did this year. He could certainly prove me wrong though. That's all I mean, said the same thing after Djokovic's 2011. He's going to drop most likely, but it just depends if anyone else takes advantage of that or not, like we saw with Roger taking #1 shortly. Djokovic still played very well in 2012, which helped him regain it.

What's in his favor though is not playing the Australian, and losing early in Wimbledon. That'll certainly help him keeps his points up. I think that's all the conversation between scarlet and I reflected.

szaromir

Banned
Of course they all play to win, but it's just likely that he won't win everything that he did this year. He could certainly prove me wrong though. That's all I mean, said the same thing after Djokovic's 2011. He's going to drop most likely, but it just depends if anyone else takes advantage of that or not, like we saw with Roger taking #1 shortly. Djokovic still played very well in 2012, which helped him regain it.

What's in his favor though is not playing the Australian, and losing early in Wimbledon. That'll certainly help him keeps his points up. I think that's all the conversation between scarlet and I reflected.
I don't think that's the mentality these guys have. I suspect pressure of (not) defending points is much greater the lower you go down the rankings, since one good or bad result can move you up or down a lot of spots (and makes much more impact to your finances). Nadal and Djokovic play for prestige and titles only. Also, it's better to have a truly exceptional season like Djoker's 2011 or Nadal's 2013 and fall off a bit the following year than not to have such season at all.

This match has been pretty good thus far, the court is pretty slow but it's not a grindfest at all, they're going for their shots which is good to see.

szaromir

Banned
What an epic game for Nadal to finally hold. Djoker is making short work of Nadal's second serve, having won 13/17 points thus far.

szaromir

Banned
Djoker has won. :) He's projected to meet Roger in quarters in Shanghai, this would be their first meeting since the final match of the last season.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
nadal just tanked to lull djokovic into a false sense of security for the rest of the season. rafito ain't giving a shit about anything less than a masters 1000.

szaromir

Banned
Sarcasm? Nadal is pissed even when he fails to lay his hands in a 250 trophy

952594-15667024-640-360.jpg

Reyne

So Sunday no1 beats the Monday no1. Funny how that works out.
Match was alright, though Nadal seemed mostly off today so it wasn't overly competitive. Probably a sign of what is to come. Nadal doesn't normally excel in this last part of the season.

So onto Shanghai then. Federer vs Djokovic in the quarter, if he gets there that is. No cake walk exactly, given his recent form. :/

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hate that he's right haha.

When was Federer's last impressive win?

I can't think of anything this year :/ his most enjoyable match was vs Murray at the AO though, even though he lost.

Going back to last year...I guess vs Djokovic in Cincinnati? 6-0 7-6

Reyne

Djokovic just lost a tight set against Monfils. Should retire.

Or you know, Monfils is playing pretty good right now.

Top Bottom