• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Saty

It would have because the other group is easier and starting with a loss wouldn't have made the prospects of her getting to the SF low.

Milchmann

Russian team for the Fed Cup final: Alexandra Panova (WTA 138), Alisa Kleybanova (WTA 186), Irina Khromacheva (WTA 231), Margarita Gasparyan (WTA 317). :lol

szaromir

Banned
if only federer could return.
The regression of his return this year has been depressing. I'm happy he cut out unforced errors in the second part of the match at least.

Hopefully Dimitrov wins his match today, we'll finally have the Fed-BabyFed match-up happening. It'll be interesting to see to players with near identical serve motions and groundstrokes, but one of them can't return and the other is a pusher :p

Reyne

Actually Dimitrov needs to win a match today and tomorrow against Dolgopolov before he can meet Fed who has already played two matches. Not having any troubles against Stepanek though.

Federer on the other hand looks just frustrated at times as he tries to hit winners immediately but just cant. In his match with Istomin he played more solid when he didn't outright go for winners, I think.

Serena beats worst Radwanska 6-2, 6-4. Ide be surprised if Serena drops a set in this tournament even if it does comprise of the 8 best players in the world

MIMIC

Banned
Does anyone think Serena could grab the all-time slam record? Missteps at Wimbledon and in Melbourne kinda makes me think that it would be too hard to do.

zero_suit

Does anyone think Serena could grab the all-time slam record? Missteps at Wimbledon and in Melbourne kinda makes me think that it would be too hard to do.

24 slams? Probably not. Father time is undefeated. She's still the best player ever in my book.

MIMIC

Banned
Very hard to see it happening. Too prone to injury at her age.

She would need to pull off a calender year slam next year to have a real shot.

I agree. It would show how dominant she can really be and it would probably make the other slams a lot easier ("I can win the calendar slam and you think you can beat me? LOL, OK"). And at her age, she needs all the psychological advantage she can get.

Don't get me wrong. Serena is completely capable of winning the next 4 in a row.

However, no amount of skill can pull that off by itself. You also need a generous helping of luck (which is why I hate it as a metric of success/legacy) so I am not going to bet on it.

Who's the all time slam leader? Goolagong? Just imagine the score if Goolagong and Serena played eachother in their prime. I know its all hypothetical and conjecture, but I think most people could agree who would come out on top rather routinely.

Court may have the grand slam lead wrapped up, but if Serena were to reach 22 and match Graff no would question that she is the GOAT. Open era and all that.

MIMIC

Banned
I wasn't watching tennis when Martina played (I wasn't even alive, lol), but some of her records are mind-boggling.

32 slam finals (!!!)
6 slams in a row
167 titles (!!!)
74-match win streak (!!!)
332 weeks at No. 1

I know that the number of slams is a HUGE part of what decides the GOAT these days, but damn...that kind of consistency is just incredible.

EDIT: and Graf, too :)

zero_suit

I wasn't watching tennis when Martina played (I wasn't even alive, lol), but some of her records are mind-boggling.

32 slam finals (!!!)
6 slams in a row
167 titles (!!!)
332 weeks at No. 1

I know that the number of slams is a HUGE part of what decides the GOAT these days, but damn...that kind of consistency is just incredible.

Esther Vergeer makes those stats look pedestrian. She's the true GOAT.

32 slam finals (!!!)
6 slams in a row
167 titles (!!!)
332 weeks at No. 1

you weren't alive when she made it to the 2nd round of Wimbledon in 2004? :p

To be fair, the last major she won was in 1990, but its still neat she won a first round Wimbledon match 14 years later.

She won her first match in a major at the French Open in 1973, and her last at Wimbledon in 2004. 31 year span.

szaromir

Banned

32 slam finals (!!!)
6 slams in a row
167 titles (!!!)
332 weeks at No. 1

She's also by far the most successful doubles player of all time. I agree she's the GOAT even if she doesn't have the most singles majors to her name.

ghstwrld

Q. People earlier were talking about if she hits as hard as you, or which players hit the hardest. A lot of people say you hit the hardest on tour. Do you think that's true, or is that a myth?

SERENA WILLIAMS: I can definitely hit it hard. I don't hit every ball hard or else I'd have a lot of shoulder problems, you know. I definitely try to mix the balls up and play different, and I have been adding a lot more to my game recently, as well.

oop

Reyne

Dimitrov is a pretty dangerous opponent for Federer right now, imo. Call him a pusher if you want ( though I scarcely agree with that notion ) but I think Federer is the one in trouble. Dimitrov is serving big and returning well and is coming in with a lot of confidence.

Of course, an in form Federer would dispel this Dimitrov like so many other guys in the past, but he is not in any form what so ever... I wouldn't be surprised to see this match go either way. Should be very entertaining anyway.

MIMIC

Banned
Federer is going to maul Dimitrov.

Or maybe not. I dunno. I just can't see Federer losing to him.

....then again, Federer has lost to much, much worse this year.

Faith

1378000_10151942634990859_1774721957_n.jpg

Got it today. I hope it will be a Del Potro Federer final :D

szaromir

Banned
Dimitrov is a pretty dangerous opponent for Federer right now, imo. Call him a pusher if you want ( though I scarcely agree with that notion ) but I think Federer is the one in trouble. Dimitrov is serving big and returning well and is coming in with a lot of confidence.
Maybe not a pusher, but he was counterpunching vs Ferrer (!) in the final on Sunday.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Niraj

Lol. Federer needs more first serves. Never ceases to surprise me how strong Fed is on BP against him though.

It's like the exact opposite of when he has BP against his opponents :p

Edit: My tough love worked ;)

szaromir

Banned
Roger played well to get his first break, but it's been very poor from Dimitrov since then. He's gotta make more 1st serves in.

Niraj

My words clearly wield some kind of bizarre power. If only I could harness it for the power of good.

Top Bottom