• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Saty

Great match. Tad disappointing the TB went like this after Federer's comeback at the end of the set but the bewildering thing is those shots he doesn't go to the open court with that would have probably kept his serve\broken earlier.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
yes, but should go up to 4 after miami. unlikely that ferrer will defend his final. might not even play.

Good to hear. Getting into the top four for the slams would be helpful.

Great match. Tad disappointing the TB went like this after Federer's comeback at the end of the set but the bewildering thing is those shots he doesn't go to the open court with that would have probably kept his serve\broken earlier.

Yeah, that was baffling.

Really good match overall though. Wish the tiebreak was a bit more competitive, but it was pretty exciting aside from that.

Still a good showing IMO. 2013 Federer would've lost that third set much earlier.

Oh, absolutely lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
hmm that interview was weird. he seems almost resigned. like one of those scrub players just happy to make the finals. i prefer arrogant roger lol

RedAssedApe

Banned
@rogerfederer: Love the @ATPWorldTour . Wonderful couple of weeks here in #indianwells thanks for everything #fans #meloveyoulongtime

Lol. Smh. Wonder if rog tweets himself or if someone is doing this for him.

Faith

I think Djokovic should change his racket. He needs more power and spin like 2011. The new version of his Head racket seems to be worse.

Diamond

hmm that interview was weird. he seems almost resigned. like one of those scrub players just happy to make the finals. i prefer arrogant roger lol

I fail to see how Roger is an "arrogant" person. Sure, he knows he's good, but he seems to have remained quite nice considering the success he's had.

And again, let's not forget Indian Wells 2013 was the beginning of his back injury and of his worst season since pretty much forever. I imagine being one tie-break away of winning against Novak without any physical problems can be satisfying in itself. If he's competitive against players like Djokovic, he can win a Grand Slam again. That's what he wants.

Diamond

Since the beginning of the 2005 season, 82 Masters 1000 have taken place. Only 12 (14,6%) have not been won by either Federer, Nadal, Djokovic or Murray (Davydenko won 3, Nalbandian and Roddick 2). Plus, half of these were the BNP Paribas Masters at Paris-Bercy, where the best players usually chose to save their strength for the following World Tour Finals.

Miami 2014 could see a new winner though, IMO. We have Novak and Roger who played the Indian Wells final and will be a little tired, plus Murray and Rafa who aren't in the best shape... Maybe it's time for the outsiders to shine ?

RedAssedApe

Banned
I fail to see how Roger is an "arrogant" person. Sure, he knows he's good, but he seems to have remained quite nice considering the success he's had.

And again, let's not forget Indian Wells 2013 was the beginning of his back injury and of his worst season since pretty much forever. I imagine being one tie-break away of winning against Novak without any physical problems can be satisfying in itself. If he's competitive against players like Djokovic, he can win a Grand Slam again. That's what he wants.

well as someone already pointed out. he said in a pre-match interview that he thought novak should win. that's not something he would ever say in the past. no need to be defensive. he's actually still my favorite player on the tour :p

Diamond

well as someone already pointed out. he said in a pre-match interview that he thought novak should win. that's not something he would ever say in the past. no need to be defensive. he's actually still my favorite player on the tour :p

I'm not defensive, I just like to discuss. ;)
I thought you were commenting his post match press talk. Didn't saw the message which talked about the pre-match itw on last page unfortunately !

Reyne

Well, old man Fed can still hang with the very top of the game at 32, going 33. Been a pretty good tournament for him, and only a half a tie-break away from a win against an opponent that should arguably dominate him at this stage of their careers.
Miami should be interesting. Hoping for a break through for one of the young guns, preferably Dimitrov, though Gulbis ( not exactly a young gun, but still ) wouldn't be so bad either. You get the feeling that now is the most opportune moment to do it.

Faith

1 more Master and Novak will surpass Agassi:

26: Nadal (record)
21: Federer
17: Djokovic
17: Agassi

11: Sampras
I think when Nadal and Djokovic retire they will both have more than 30 masters titles, Nadal maybe even more than 40.

LuuKyK

Anyone else here participates in the wta draw challenge? Its basically a prediction game. Its really fun. Miami will be my first try. Lets see how it goes.

Here is the link, if anyone wanna try it too. I don't know if there is a similar thing for the ATP, would be cool if there was.

Anyone else here participates in the wta draw challenge? Its basically a prediction game. Its really fun. Miami will be my first try. Lets see how it goes.

Here is the link, if anyone wanna try it too. I don't know if there is a similar thing for the ATP, would be cool if there was.

Man I so many brackets to fill out right now with March Madness looming. I have participated in similar bracket challenges for tennis, but only for slams and never for a Masters 1000 event. Maybe I'll give this one a shot

Milchmann

I got 51 points at Indian Wells. Kerber and Pennetta destroyed my draw.

ATP had a draw challenge, but they discontinued it this year.

LuuKyK

Man I so many brackets to fill out right now with March Madness looming. I have participated in similar bracket challenges for tennis, but only for slams and never for a Masters 1000 event. Maybe I'll give this one a shot

Do it! Lets see who ends up with the better score. :p

I got 51 points at Indian Wells. Kerber and Pennetta destroyed my draw.

ATP had a draw challenge, but they discontinued it this year.

Is 51 points good? I have no idea what the parameters are. lol

So yeah, I have Serena beating Bouchard in the final. I know, I am crazy. At least I think I have the champion right.

Milchmann

Is 51 points good? I have no idea what the parameters are. lol

Lol, no.
You get one point for every correct pick. So at IW and Miami you can get 95 points. Of course it is harder to get points later in the tournament, because your predicted winners of matches might have lost previously.

mcfrank

I have now a 1 year TennisTV subscription. So this year I will watch every masters tournament :D

Let me know how that is. As a cord cutter, I am able to get by pretty well with WatchESPN sharing a friends log in but I would pay $100 a year for tennis tv if it wasn't for the blackouts.

LuuKyK

I have now a 1 year TennisTV subscription. So this year I will watch every masters tournament :D

I am also interested in that. Let me know what you think of the service, like image quality, stability, etc... if you can. I would really appreciate it, since I am not willing to pay a hundred dollars on something that doesnt differentiate from any normal stream out there.

Faith

I saw the semi finals and the finals last weekend over TennisTV on my Ipad. The quality is just way better than the regular streams, it looks like 720p. I hadn't any blackout so far.

I also liked the in-app stats from the match, you can always check how many unforced errors someone did etc. and you can display the draw of the tournament.

LuuKyK

I saw the semi finals and the finals last weekend over TennisTV on my Ipad. The quality is just way better than the regular streams, it looks like 720p. I hadn't any blackout so far.

I also liked the in-app stats from the match, you can always check how many unforced errors someone did etc. and you can display the draw of the tournament.

Thanks for the feedback! :) Seems good enough. I hate having to go after streams, also to deal with the annoying ads and all of that for a shitty quality stream where you can barely see the ball and that keeps freezing. So yeah, I will definitely check it out.

Faith

Thanks for the feedback! :) Seems good enough. I hate having to go after streams, also to deal with the annoying ads and all of that for a shitty quality stream where you can barely see the ball and that keeps freezing. So yeah, I will definitely check it out.
Try it out for a month, you could watch Miami & Monte Carlo Masters and see if you like it.

xfgxh5pt.png

Lol xD

Reyne

Not surprised Del Po isn't playing. Injuries like that don't heal in a fortnight, sadly.

Though I am surprised Lendl and Murray are going separate ways, given the success the combination had. Tough times ahead for Murray, with the recovery of form from surgery and now he is coachless as well.

MIMIC

Banned
So I changed my grip from eastern to continental. I have a tendency to come over the ball and hit it into the net (which is why I inexplicably miss way too many cross court shots). A lot of people suggest that I "get under" the ball (don't you think I try?! lol), but I instinctively come over it. Opening the racket face up more compensates for that issue.

I can hit AT the net....but it still goes over. It's like magic! :)

But then I run into a few problems:

1. It FEELS so fucking weird. Sometimes I'm like "Is this even the proper way to hold a racket?" I have to keep adjusting my fingers to get a decent grip on it.

2. Going from backhand to forehand....how the hell am I going to remember how to hold it? The ONE convenient thing is that my BH grip isn't that far from a continental grip, so I don't have to make that much of an adjustment, but still.

I'm gonna Google some tips on this, but does anyone else have any experience changing grips?

Top Bottom