• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
if this federer would play today's djokovic in the semi, it might actually be a match.

but djokovic would of course take it with his typical luck. hell, federer will probably lose to benneteau.

Mowgli is fine, it's just abundantly clear he only wants to play on clay and at RG at this point. Slow slow hard courts don't tickle his fancy anymore....

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
yesterday I won a set 7-6 without ever holding serve. Even the WTA would say that's unacceptable.

Most of my wins are like that, although mostly because my serve is beyond shitastic and my return of serve is the best in my local club. Breaks are for chumps, holding serve is how you win a match!

Most of my wins are like that, although mostly because my serve is beyond shitastic and my return of serve is the best in my local club. Breaks are for chumps, holding serve is how you win a match!

Well one of the reasons there are so many breaks of serve on the WTA is due to the fact most women don't have a serve as a weapon. Lisicki, Venus, and Serena are among the few that actually have a distinct advantage on serve. Most women have male hitting partners, so going from returning their more powerful serves in practice to the ones on the WTA makes it even more difficult for the server to have an advantage.

In my case, my serve is not a weapon. It's probably in the bottom 25% among 4.5 players My first serve at best can neutralize a point, and my second serve can allow my opponent to be on the attack from his return. However, I do have a solid return game and that helped me broke my opponent 6 straight times

Youzhny blew this match repeatedly. Had a break in 2nd set and lost 4 games in a row. In the third set he gets broken after missing multiple overhead smashes. He lost 9 out of 10 games after having Lopez on the ropes, now it's just seemingly over.

Lopez gifted him the break back with a double while serving for match. I don't know what's going to happen now.

And....broken back to lose match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You know, Federer really struggles with Benneteau, and consistently too. I can't think of any other top player who has such a random poor match-up with a much lower ranked player, it's really strange.

EDIT: Although actually, it's an extension of Federer really struggling against good serve and volley players, much like his terrible head to head against Henman before Henman declined, and the loss to Stakhovsky. It'd be really interesting to transport Federer back into the early 90s and see how he did, my feeling is that he wouldn't have performed well at all. Shame S&V players barely exist these days.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
hopefully federer can pull off a nice win here, but i don't see djokovic losing to him in asia. although federer does have some experience in combo breaking the serb.

Faith

hwr9rj7o.png

Btw, I noticed that Gilles Simon is an exact copy of Robert Pattinson xD

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Huh, I've only just started watching. What happened so far? Djokovic playing badly or just Federer having a good day?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic just looks so... impatient. He's going for shots when the ball really isn't there for it. Ball-bashing but with no finesse.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
might have been a massive game there. rogi might have a lapse here after failing to get that break. hopefully the serve will still be there.

Nadal does not knee series knee surgery he wouldn't be playing golf if he did. This guy is such a prima Donna. Needs to get his fibromyalgia looked at....

John Dunbar

correct about everything
good recovery there after being 0-30 down. everything is still under control, so no need to panic about missing that break.

You don't see DelPo posting pics of him looking at the Fappening and saying "I slipped my wrist on the screen, I'll let you know how it goes." Complete disrespect for this sport, especially coming from a man that has been humbled many times this year.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Federer-Simon matches are a lot of fun, so I wouldn't be too upset if Djokovic lost this. I'd prefer a Simon win, though.

miserable

You don't see DelPo posting pics of him looking at the Fappening and saying "I slipped my wrist on the screen, I'll let you know how it goes." Complete disrespect for this sport, especially coming from a man that has been humbled many times this year.

lol, it's from a commercial he did for Pokerstars, stop being a mark

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Someone needs to tell Djokovic that they've changed the rules and every singe point he plays is now considered a game point or break point.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Djokovic has better net stats than baseline stats this match.

My head is full of what.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Time for the Frenchman to win his first Masters. :3

Top Bottom