• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Rainy Dog

Dimitrov has just hit two in between his legs winners against Jack Sock in Stockholm. Never seen anything like it, incredible. Both were straight off blistering Sock returns that were straight at him so he probably couldn't have hit them any other way either.

Reyne

Dimitrov has just hit two in between his legs winners against Jack Sock in Stockholm. Never seen anything like it, incredible. Both were straight off blistering Sock returns that were straight at him so he probably couldn't have hit them any other way either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8jdyeoPKuk

Crazy stuff. He just can't help himself, even though you'd imagine Rasheed being somewhat less pleased with the frequency of these kind of shots. :p

Deadman

Federer just spent 3 days practicing on indoor clay, so its safe to say the davis cup is his priority for the end of this year.

Great shots from dimitrov.

Peru

#WTAFinals draw all set. Red group: Serena, Halep, Bouchard and Ivanovic. White group: Sharapova, Kvitova, Radwanska and Wozniacki.

LuuKyK

Maria, Ana and Genie. <3

Ana+Ivanovic+Simona+Halep+BNP+Paribas+WTA+QmWjZZ3BNrEx.jpg

LuuKyK

The groups are really balanced I think. Two slam winners in each. The obvious semi-finals should be Serena x Petra and Maria x Ana, with Ana being the question mark of those four.

Tough one for Serena

Not sure if that is true in this case. I don't see her having trouble with any of those (bar Peak Ivanovic) unless she is injured. The fight for the second place in that group is going to be interesting though, Genie/Simona and Ana/Simona are usually very close matches so it could go either way. Genie/Ana is very one sided in Genie's favor though.

The second group is more predictable imo. Maria and Petra should go through with some ease considering they dont dip in form compared to their last few weeks in China. Aga is in terrible form and Caro can be a bit of trouble, but the matches are never on her racket.

Reyne

Good win for Dimitrov. Hope he can defend his title tomorrow. He needs to get things started again, after having been relatively awol since Wimbledon.

Meanwhile in the other semi Berdych will face yet another qualifier.

MIMIC

Banned

It's like they're at the prom waiting for to use the bathroom or something.

EDIT: More tennis with MIMIC:

I played with this new guy today (doubles). He hit the ball SO DAMN HARD. I guess he thought he was del Potro or Soderling or something. When he was good, he was really good. But when he was bad, he was bad. Overall, he was 20% good, 80% bad. And he hit like 10 double faults -______-

We were 0-4 and he suddenly stopped sucking and made we it all the way back to 4-4. Then he started sucking again (double faulted the game away, of course). And at set point on return, he fucking blasted the ball and of course it landed no where near the court. This guy was a joke.

Jesus, if you're going to be smacking the ball, you better have some damn accuracy. Power ain't shit if you can't control it.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm watching some german stream of ferrer-murray since i couldn't find one in english, and my god these people just keep babbling. is it not the norm there to shut the fuck up during the points?

Peru

The groups are really balanced I think. Two slam winners in each. The obvious semi-finals should be Serena x Petra and Maria x Ana, with Ana being the question mark of those four.

Not sure if that is true in this case. I don't see her having trouble with any of those (bar Peak Ivanovic) unless she is injured. The fight for the second place in that group is going to be interesting though, Genie/Simona and Ana/Simona are usually very close matches so it could go either way. Genie/Ana is very one sided in Genie's favor though.

The second group is more predictable imo. Maria and Petra should go through with some ease considering they dont dip in form compared to their last few weeks in China. Aga is in terrible form and Caro can be a bit of trouble, but the matches are never on her racket.

Depends if Masha goes back to playing as horrible as her pre-China 2014 season.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
berdych is attempting to pull a tomic here.

edit: yep, he did it. up 5-3 and then loses four games in a row.

edit2: six breaks in the third set of ferrer-murray so far. another wta level borefest where a break of return will decide it. smh.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
murray won 7-5 in the third, but truly an embarrassing match for all concerned. tennis lost in vienna today.

edit: and berdych defeats the male kournikova in stockholm.

MIMIC

Banned
I think Halep was the only one I didn't recognize instantly.

Me: Who the fuck is this chick? *tries to remember the slam finalists* Oh yeah!

Also, I was playing tennis today, and in the last set, my friend wanted to quit while I was serving 5*-0. REALLY??? LOL. I convinced him to play on.....so I bageled him for trying to tap out. ^_^

Quitting just to avoid a bad scoreline is lame. There's no shame in losing.

MIMIC

Banned
I have to agree. Also, there's NOTHING as fun as making a come back from way back. It's rare, but so, so good.

This same guy came back against me when I was serving at 5*-0 to make it 5-4. It may have been fun for him, but it was horrible for me, lol.

I wonder how many times Serena has come back from something like that. Not getting the 6-0 or the 6-1 pretty much means she's gonna win the set.

RedAssedApe

Banned
does anyone play with the wilson spin effect racquets?

i just bought a six.one 95s after play testing over a few days. unfortunately the sporting goods store i rented from have no idea about tennis so couldn't tell me what strings i was playing with. i think one was a poly...felt like a board and another was a hybrid albeit one where the mains and crosses were the same color so i couldnt tell...

all my life i've pretty much only played with prince og synthetic gut on my old Prince Michael Chang's...but i've read these spin racquets just shred your strings and polys and/or some type of hybrid was suggested. any recommendations? got a free stringing of some wilson syn guy i've never used before so i guess we'll see how long it takes to pop them.

also...do new racquets still come with a cover? lol lost all my old tennis gear in a flood so starting over from scratch :)

Top Bottom