• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
in retrospect you do have to say that djokovic has been pretty bad (by his standards) since his wimbledon run (and even there he pretty much fluked the title). who has he exactly beaten since then? andy "my back is broken" murray a bunch of times and really no one else. except berdych, lol.

Rainy Dog

Brilliant stuff from Roger. He's looked immense these last 3 matches. Roger/Novak match up's are always such a treat, four of the five this year have been just a joy to behold. Simply the best attack against the best defense in modern tennis.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i think rushing the net even when djokovic was passing well was a good strategy to stick with this time. djokovic was clearly off his game from the baseline, but he's such a robot that he would surely have zoned in eventually if federer had just kept rallying with him. keeping the points short, even if it meant losing some he might have otherwise won, was ultimately beneficial.

Peru

in retrospect you do have to say that djokovic has been pretty bad (by his standards) since his wimbledon run (and even there he pretty much fluked the title). who has he exactly beaten since then? andy "my back is broken" murray a bunch of times and really no one else. except berdych, lol.

According to himself he was 'best ever' in that final though..

agrajag

Banned

Bbbbut Berdych said he played like a god!

MIMIC

Banned
Didn't see the match; will have to watch it later. Was out playing tennis.

God I wish yhere was an indoor slam.....

Wimbledon 2012 :)

Anyway, I played Australian doubles (2 v. 1) and won 6-0. lol Then I played one of them in singles (I guess he was a little irked that he was beaten so badly) and I won 6-1. I had 0-40 in his first service game, but he held somehow.

My serve was absolutely unbelievable. It had to be somewhere in the low 80s or high 70s. I only had to hit a couple second serves. I only hit 1 ace, but 90% of my serves went unreturned.

Faith

federer actually has a small chance now to finish the year as number one. pretty good for a weak era relic.
Djokovic: 11.510
Federer: 9.080

Djokovic has to defend 1000 points from Paris and 1500 points from the WTF. Federer 360 from Paris, 300 from Basel and 400 from the WTF.

Federer has to catch up 2430 points. Basically he has to win Paris & the WTF to be the #1.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Djokovic: 11.510
Federer: 9.080

Djokovic has to defend 1000 points from Paris and 1500 points from the WTF. Federer 360 from Paris, 300 from Basel and 400 from the WTF.

Federer has to catch up 2430 points. Basically he has to win Paris & the WTF to be the #1.

points to defend don't matter in the year end race. djokovic is now at 9,010 for the year, federer is at about 7,900 or 8,000 i think (edit: he has 8,020 points now). federer has one tournament more with 500 possible points in basel. if federer does better than djokovic in paris (who might not even play if his kid is born, although it's unlike he will miss it given how close it would make the race) it can be neck and neck in the tour finals. plus federer has a chance to win another 150 from the davis cup final (although i think the davis cup points might only count towards the 2015 race).

as i said, it's a small chance. too much tennis to come for an old man, i think, but it's at least in play now. so he has 990 points to catch up, nothing close to 2,430 (no idea where you got that figure).

Deadman

If djokovic does skip Paris then gaining 990 seems quite possible. Especially when you consider the other top players aren't doing so well at the moment.

MIMIC

Banned
So Fed won, huh? Seems that he and Djokovic are the only "consistent" players these days. Nadal is falling apart. Murray isn't getting it done anymore. Wawrinka certainly isn't living up to his ranking. Berdych looks to be on the downswing.

I won't be surprised if they're the last two standing at the WTF. But I think Nishikori will probably continue his good form.

(edited)

Still only 4 players have qualified for the YEC's. Murray, Ferrer, Cilic, Raonic, Berdych, and Dmitrov all playing in small ATP 250 events this week. You don't see that too often

Faith

23234oer2.png

Yeah everybody is that rich. I thought she was intelligent?

Diamond

Still only 4 players have qualified for the YEC's. Murray, Ferrer, Cilic, Raonic, Berdych, and Dmitrov all playing in small ATP 250 events this week. You don't see that too often

Plus Nadal maybe won't play the WTF, so an extra slot could be up for grabs :

Christopher Clarey said:
Nadal spokesman @benitopb just told me it's not yet clear Nadal won't play World Tour Finals: will play Basel, consult docs, then decide

In other news, Davydenko just announced his retirement. Never won a slam, which is a shame. Has a Davis Cup and one WTF to compensate. He's the only player who has played Nadal more than ten times and has a positive Win/Lose ratio against the Spaniard (6-5 total, 6-1 on hard courts !!!).

Video tribute from the ATP.

IN30_TENNIS_ATP_FINA_15001f.jpg

scarlet

Plus Nadal maybe won't play the WTF, so an extra slot could be up for grabs :

In other news, Davydenko just announced his retirement. Never won a slam, which is a shame. Has a Davis Cup and one WTF to compensate. He's the only player who has played Nadal more than ten times and has a positive Win/Lose ratio against the Spaniard (6-5 total, 6-1 on hard courts !!!).

Video tribute from the ATP.

IN30_TENNIS_ATP_FINA_15001f.jpg

Delpo should've won that :(

And can't wait for Singapore, hopefully could see injury free Serena

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Great player, felt bad about how he seemed to get injured all the time. Probably would've made a few finals at the least if he didn't keep getting Federer when he made the semis.

Top Bottom