• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Dispatch

So, um, that's an...interesting outfit, Mr. Kyrgios.

CXqxL4IWcAE3hu9.jpg

Source

Ricker

She's plays Shenzen brah.

lol yeah,just saw that,thanks,I was sure she was in Australia already and playing Brisbane...guess she wanted a slower start,since she is 49th now and all,although her arch nemesis Kvitova is in China also :p

And looking at Kyrgios's outfit,the stripes might make it look goofy a bit,have to see the whole outfit though to pass judgement...this is something Raonic might embrace also.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I'm looking to buy the Head graphene xt speed pro, aka the Joker club. I've been using Head for 15 years, hell I'm still using the same one I bought in the early-mid 2000s. I tried a Babalot racquet some time ago but I honestly couldn't hit a decent shot to save my life.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't mind dropping the big bills for it tbh, I'm sure it will last me another 15 years :p

I might be forced to buy it online since its never in stock but I'm not sure on the sizing of the handle. I want it to be exactly like my current Head size, I think S2 but this racquet has a different numbering system. Is L2 the interchangeable with all Head clubs?

Also what do you guys generally recommend for someone who does full swings and needs a balance of power, control and spin.
Head i.prestige MP if you can find it

Might be stating the obvious but Djokovic is actually playing with an old radical mold, not really related to the speed in any way, so I wouldn't get it for that reason. I haven't played with any of the newer Heads but lots of people say they are quite "Babolat like" e.g polarised and stiff.

In any case in my opinion most racquet advice usually boils down "demo it and see how it feels". If you're in the US Tennis Warehouse has a demo program you might want to try.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Pro players play with old racquets (sometimes customized for weight and balance) with low (lower than 23kg) string tensions

Almost all of them are heavy control type of racquets so the lower tension gives them lots of power and spin without too much control loss, the balance is also in the handle and never in the head

Naturally handling something like this requires a very good swing in technique, it took me years to play on my i.prestige at 22kg and my six one tour at 21kg, slices and dropshots sometimes are still a bitch to execute

Nishioka def. Gulbis to qualify for Brisbane. Also, a 17 y/o Australian boy qualified.

On the womens side, I noticed Dodin is listed at 6 feet tall now. If tennis doesn't work out for her, HELLO MODELING!

sam777

Watching the highlights of Nadal's matches against Ferrer and Raonic, it looks like he is trying to finish points off more quickly, which is a good and necessary tactical change up from him.

Diamond

I'm looking to buy the Head graphene xt speed pro, aka the Joker club. I've been using Head for 15 years, hell I'm still using the same one I bought in the early-mid 2000s. I tried a Babalot racquet some time ago but I honestly couldn't hit a decent shot to save my life.

Anyone have experience with this? I don't mind dropping the big bills for it tbh, I'm sure it will last me another 15 years :p

I might be forced to buy it online since its never in stock but I'm not sure on the sizing of the handle. I want it to be exactly like my current Head size, I think S2 but this racquet has a different numbering system. Is L2 the interchangeable with all Head clubs?

Also what do you guys generally recommend for someone who does full swings and needs a balance of power, control and spin.

I think that, if you like Head, you have a big chance to like the Graphene, it's probably one of the most popular racquets out there. The model you're aiming for is quite heavy (almost 330g), so I'd look for the weight of your old racquet and see the difference to be sure. A difference of, say, 20g, can appear to be small on paper but it will slightly modify the way you play, even if you're in a good physical condition.

For grip size, just mesure your hand to be sure : http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize.html

Might be stating the obvious but Djokovic is actually playing with an old radical mold, not really related to the speed in any way, so I wouldn't get it for that reason. I haven't played with any of the newer Heads but lots of people say they are quite "Babolat like" e.g polarised and stiff.

In any case in my opinion most racquet advice usually boils down "demo it and see how it feels". If you're in the US Tennis Warehouse has a demo program you might want to try.

Also this. Try the stick if you can, and you usually can, even if you buy online.
The pros usually play with the same racquets during their career, changes are rare (the Federer change was one of those cases, and it showed it's not necessarily a good choice to stay with the same racquet against all odds). They just change the paintjob when the sponsor wants to launch a new model.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Azarenka-Halep in the second round tomorrow. They had a pretty good match at the USO a couple months ago, so could be a good one to check out.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Watching the highlights of Nadal's matches against Ferrer and Raonic, it looks like he is trying to finish points off more quickly, which is a good and necessary tactical change up from him.
Haven't seen the highlights but if Rafa doesn't need to get into rally rhythm as much anymore as he used to that's a good sign for his improving and body sustaining for the coming years :)

edit, okay checked out some highlights, Chung won against Groth! Follow this guy GAF, awesome clean playing style, some of his precision and feel is just crazy good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC4DrX6W3a4

Also, awesome camera shots, props to Brisbane for doing something innovating!

Couple thoughts/notable results so far:

- Bencic pulverised Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2, breaking in every one of her service games and breaking her mentally to the point she was punching her racquet Andy Murray style. She has Sam Crawford, a qualifier who beat a wildcard in R1, in round 2, so should be a big favourite there. Next up will likely be a first meeting with Maria Sharapova. But not, I expect, the last.

- Camila Giorgi played incredible tennis, belting clean strike after clean strike until she had break point at 3-2 in the second set against Angelique Kerber. Kerber was hanging with tough defense but her chances looked to be fading, only for her opponent to hit a needless UE. Then came two more and it was 3 all. Then Giorgi gave away her serve with more errors. Then came a rain delay, after which she didn't win a single game, losing the last 8. It was astonishing, yet so predictable.

- Kyle Edmund got through qualies then easily beat Martin Klizan in R1 in Doha. Munoz de la Nava isn't the scariest R2 opponent either. Keeps getting better for him.

- Some other good results from the youngsters. Hyeon Chung beat Sam Groth. Apparently Groth's volleying was awful but still it's encouraging to see a young player deal with such a monstrous serve. Coric beat Granollers and has a winnable R2 in Chennai against Ram or Krajicek. Taylor Fritz easily won his R1 in the Happy Valley Challenger and Nishioka, of course, knocked Gulbis out in the Brisbane qualies.

I think that, if you like Head, you have a big chance to like the Graphene, it's probably one of the most popular racquets out there. The model you're aiming for is quite heavy (almost 330g), so I'd look for the weight of your old racquet and see the difference to be sure. A difference of, say, 20g, can appear to be small on paper but it will slightly modify the way you play, even if you're in a good physical condition.

For grip size, just mesure your hand to be sure : http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Gripsize.html

Also this. Try the stick if you can, and you usually can, even if you buy online.
The pros usually play with the same racquets during their career, changes are rare (the Federer change was one of those cases, and it showed it's not necessarily a good choice to stay with the same racquet against all odds). They just change the paintjob when the sponsor wants to launch a new model.

Thanks. I definitely love Head racquets so I'm going to decide between the Radical Pro and the Speed Pro. There seems to be big differences between them, and on paper, the Radical is more of what I'm looking for (with the same tension and string pattern as my current one). I'll try both if I can at the local tennis shop, not sure if they'll allow it though.

Venus Williams down a break in the final set against Daria Kasatkina. Let's see if she can close out.

Edit: She can! Finishes the match off with a forehand return winner down the line. I think Venus was spent physically by the end of that match with all the long rallies and long sets - she was sending in frequent half drop-shots, following them in and getting passed every time down the stretch. Kasatkina has those big loopy groundstrokes that fit a natural clay courter, but she's been getting good results on hard courts (including 3R at the USO, then SFs in Moscow). Most importantly, every time I've seen her in a close match she's been mentally tough.

LuuKyK

Serena, Sharapova, Kvitova and Halep all wo'd or retired due to illness/injury. That + Venus and Ivanovic lost to players ranked outside the top 100. lol What a start for the WTA.

At least Genie got her first win after her concussion at the USO, so thats something.

LuuKyK

I assumed he meant it's the first match that she's won since then, but could be wrong.

Oops. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Edit: Wait, thats exactly what I said. I am confused @ how that was misinterpreted. lol

Edit 2: Ok, now it makes more sense.

szaromir

Banned
I assumed he meant it's the first match that she's won since then, but could be wrong.

I knew what he meant, as a Bouchard hater I had to emphasize that though :p

Shame about the withdrawals though, the draw in Brisbane looked very promising in terms of high profile matches (eg. Halep-Azarenka in round 2, then the winner against Bencic in the quarters) and now it's rather lackluster.

You have to wonder what these players do during the off-season that they can't stick to their commitment in the very first tournament of the year.

- Bencic pulverised Sara Errani 6-1, 6-2, breaking in every one of her service games and breaking her mentally to the point she was punching her racquet Andy Murray style. She has Sam Crawford, a qualifier who beat a wildcard in R1, in round 2, so should be a big favourite there. Next up will likely be a first meeting with Maria Sharapova. But not, I expect, the last.

Crawford dispatched Bencic in straight sets, acing her 13 times in the process. Bencic stuggles against the tall power girls like Venus and Crawford. Something to work on.

I knew what he meant, as a Bouchard hater I had to emphasize that though :p

Shame about the withdrawals though, the draw in Brisbane looked very promising in terms of high profile matches (eg. Halep-Azarenka in round 2, then the winner against Bencic in the quarters) and now it's rather lackluster.

You have to wonder what these players do during the off-season that they can't stick to their commitment in the very first tournament of the year.
I'm convinced they don't do much of anything, except try to be Instagram models. Lepchenko and Muguruza multiple times have not realized that they needed to change ends and they start points from the wrong side of the court.

Wuddya know, Muguruza retires.

Yeah Bencic joined the massive list of WTA upset victims/withdrawals/retirements this week. Didn't think it was likely after such a strong showing in R1, but lol WTA and all that. Azarenka has seen what looked like a deadly draw turn into a great opportunity. If she wins Brisbane she'll could go up to 16 in the world, and the only higher ranked player left in her half of the bracket is Vinci. Muguruza's pulled out too, retiring with a foot injury.

Kasatkina also wasted a great opportunity after beating Venus Williams by letting Nao Hibino back in with sloppy errors to win their third set. Hibino reaches the Auckland QFs as a result.

The Broady/Ostapenko match was really something else though - Broady wanted Ostapenko DQ'd for throwing her racquet and it hitting a ballboy, Ostapenko had three chances to serve out and multiple match points, wasted them all, and they had a go at each other after the match.

Heather Watson's win over Daria Gavrilova in the Hopman Cup was an excellent, dramatic match. I think having such a large, loud crowd helped Watson back in after losing a 61' minute opening set in a tie-break. She ran off 8 of the next 11 games before Gavrilova took over and served for the match in the third, only to succumb to the pressure and let Watson back in. Two tough fighters struggling with nerves made for one of the best matches of the season so far.

Kyrgios was superb in his win over Murray. If he plays like that in the AO...

Looking forward to Nadal v Haase today. If Nadal isn't on his game, and he wasn't in R1, there's some upset potential there.

How many here have watched a GS match in person? Thinking about planning a trip around one of them this year.

I live in western Canada, so the easiest for me geographically would be the US Open in NY. The Australian Open is a possibility but it's too late to go this year.

I'm leaning towards the French Open (late May-early June) or Wimbledon (late June-early July). Combine it with a Europe trip and it'll be something I can cross off my bucket list.

I've got my tickets to the semi final for the aus open, going to the Friday game. Hoping to see Fed but would honestly be happy with any match. Will be my first time to attend a grand slam, can't wait.

Kyrgios takes out Murray in the Hopman cup but still has to be a dick to a moron in the crowd though. I love watching Kyrgios but he needs to mature and not engage crowd fools like that. Murray was apparently getting his wrist injury checked out after the match but a nice confidence booster for Kyrgios going into the AusOpen.

I've got my tickets to the semi final for the aus open, going to the Friday game. Hoping to see Fed but would honestly be happy with any match. Will be my first time to attend a grand slam, can't wait.

You're in for a good day/night mate. Also check out the big screen garden area for some spectator atmosphere when you're not in your seat.

How many here have watched a GS match in person? Thinking about planning a trip around one of them this year.

I live in western Canada, so the easiest for me geographically would be the US Open in NY. The Australian Open is a possibility but it's too late to go this year.

I'm leaning towards the French Open (late May-early June) or Wimbledon (late June-early July). Combine it with a Europe trip and it'll be something I can cross off my bucket list.

I've been to all but the French Open. I enjoyed Wimbledon and AO the most but I'm biased being Aussie.

I love me country and grand slam but air fare and trip experience wise being at Wimbledon and all of the bonus countries you can hop/drive to from there it's hard to pass that up as the recommendation. The atmosphere and a tour, if you book one, is fantastic to have an official guide throughout the grounds and museum.

That was a nice, quick win.

Petko literally had no answer for the shots Crawford was hitting. Crawford is the type of player that can take the match out of her opponents hands. It will be interesting to see how her game develops in the future and if she can get some consistent results because she has potential to be very good. She's only 20 and tall players take longer to develop which is why she didn't have much success on the pro tour as a teen

Other than Bencic, not many successful teenagers at the moment, tall or short.

Yeah its a similar story on the mens side. Long gone are the days when a handful of teens could feasibly win a major. I'm sure one day a teenager will win a slam event again, but those occurrences will be years if not decades apart.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Ordinarily, I think people exaggerate most chokes and really the game was just a tight one that could have gone either way, but Mayer's 5*-4 against Djokovic was the very definition of a choke.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Dear lord, that was the worst I've seen Djokovic play in a long time, he was literally there for the taking. Mayer was shameful.

Top Bottom