• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

LuuKyK

I will do it then, it won't be anything fancy though. If anyone wants to submit info and/or graphics for the OT feel free to PM me.

sam777

With respect, I disagree. Nadal *let* Djokovic play that way. Look at the stats for how far inside the baseline Nadal's shots were landing. You just can't do that. Honest to goodness his shots looked like small lobs at points rather than actual forehands; literally anyone who takes the ball high can bash shots like that. Berdych would also have beaten this Nadal, I am absolutely confident of that.

After watching the highlights of the match again, I agree with you Nadal's forehands were no where near deep enough unlike his backhand, which was pretty decent and has been pretty good post US Open.

AO quallies start in 30 minutes. We're so close fam!

Also, USA's arguably 2 best prospects, Tiafoe and Donaldson, unfortunately have to play eachother first round in qualifiers. How unfortunate.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
AO quallies start in 30 minutes. We're so close fam!

Also, USA's arguably 2 best prospects, Tiafoe and Donaldson, unfortunately have to play eachother first round in qualifiers. How unfortunate.

Do you think Donaldson is that much of a prospect? Tiafoe I can see.

Do you think Donaldson is that much of a prospect? Tiafoe I can see.

I'm not as bullish on Donaldson as I was a couple years ago, but I still think he has a pretty high ceiling. Tiafoe has a higher ceiling, but I don't know if he'll ever grow out of his poor mental game. Tiafoe's body language on the court is terrible. I know he's still a teen and that can change, but who knows. Tiafoe also has a great variety to his game, but unfortunately he very often uses that variety at the wrong times

Eurosport Player GET!

Wait, where can I catch the quallies?

Tennis channel if you're in the US. Channel 1660 on AT&T U-verse

oti

Banned
I'm not as bullish on Donaldson as I was a couple years ago, but I still think he has a pretty high ceiling. Tiafoe has a higher ceiling, but I don't know if he'll ever grow out of his poor mental game. Tiafoe's body language on the court is terrible. I know he's still a teen and that can change, but who knows. Tiafoe also has a great variety to his game, but unfortunately he very often uses that variety at the wrong times

Tennis channel if you're in the US. Channel 1660 on AT&T U-verse

I'm a filthy European in Germany. ;-;

oti

Banned
Gross you probably want to watch Mischa Zverev (aka worst Zverev) and Berrer

:p

Kerber gonna win a Slam MARK MY WORDS
(plz Kerbi plz)

Yeah, Eurosport is pretty nice during the GS (except for Wimbledon, they don't have the rights for it). I always get the Eurosport Player for 7€ for a month. You get 2 channels plus every single court with cameras plus replays and highlights etc. Well worth the money in my opinion. This year they also started covering Squash which looks chaotic to me but eh, might as well watch it. Like, how can you play this game if your opponent is always in front of you? Weird?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Kerber gonna win a Slam MARK MY WORDS
(plz Kerbi plz)

Yeah, Eurosport is pretty nice during the GS (except for Wimbledon, they don't have the rights for it). I always get the Eurosport Player for 7€ for a month. You get 2 channels plus every single court with cameras plus replays and highlights etc. Well worth the money in my opinion. This year they also started covering Squash which looks chaotic to me but eh, might as well watch it. Like, how can you play this game if your opponent is always in front of you? Weird?
Can you get it for one month only? Or do you have a set amount of months first before you can cancel?

Qualifying play has been suspended because temps right now are 108 degrees Fahrenheit in Melbourne. Yet tomorrow, the high will only be 66 degrees Fahrenheit. And I thought Texas weather was crazy...

oti

Banned
Can you get it for one month only? Or do you have a set amount of months first before you can cancel?

No, you can get it for just one month for 7€ or 12 months for 60€. I wouldn't get the 12 months option. Eurosport's tennis coverage can be really spotty at times, months without a single tennis tournament and so on.

And you can cancel anytime.

The App also can cast to Chromecast.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
No, you can get it for just one month for 7€ or 12 months for 60€. I wouldn't get the 12 months option. Eurosport's tennis coverage can be really spotty at times, months without a single tennis tournament and so on.

And you can cancel anytime.

The App also can cast to Chromecast.
That seals the deal for me, thanks!

Some classic old school awful umpiring in the Bencic/Makarova match. Couple of balls miles out by Makarova left uncalled, including a down the line winner on game point. Bencic has to control her understandable anger.

LuuKyK

I will probably have to put up the OT earlier than planned, which probably means before the draws are released since I will be out of town for a couple of days during the weekend, but I will update it afterwards whenever I have access to some wi-fi spot or something like that.

Any title suggestions?

Wow. Six more months of winter for American tennis.

I'm starting to latch onto Taylor Fritz as the new American hope for 2016. It changes every year I know.

Also, here are 2 Australian Open qualifying matches to watch later today

Francesca Schiavone (ITA) [6]
vs.
An-Sophie Mestach (BEL)

Elena Vesnina (RUS) [11]
vs.
Lin Zhu (CHN)

It's crazy that Schiavone and Vesnina have to try to come through in quallies these days

I'm starting to latch onto Taylor Fritz as the new American hope for 2016. It changes every year I know.

Also, here are 2 Australian Open qualifying matches to watch later today

Francesca Schiavone (ITA) [6]
vs.
An-Sophie Mestach (BEL)

Elena Vesnina (RUS) [11]
vs.
Lin Zhu (CHN)

It's crazy that Schiavone and Vesnina have to try to come through in quallies these days
Yeah, it's surreal to see. I'm going to cry so much when Federer retires, and maybe a few when for Hewitt next week.

I'm gonna try and watch some qualies tonight, though I don't have Tennis Channel anymore and YouTube feed is blocked here. I'm glad Rubelv decided not to do qualies. He can get a strong training block going for a month or so to improve his fitness. Sad Elias Ymer fell in the first round yesterday.

Yeah, it's surreal to see. I'm going to cry so much when Federer retires, and maybe a few when for Hewitt next week.

I'm gonna try and watch some qualies tonight, though I don't have Tennis Channel anymore and YouTube feed is blocked here. I'm glad Rubelv decided not to do qualies. He can get a strong training block going for a month or so to improve his fitness. Sad Elias Ymer fell in the first round yesterday.

I think Elias' younger brother will be better than him. Then again we said the same thing about Christian Harrison so who knows.

Serena v Camila Giorgi (R1)
R4 vs. likely Wozniacki
QF vs. likely Sharapova

Aga v Bouchard (likely R2)
R3 v likely Stosur
R4 v likely Stephens or Vinci
QF v likely Kvitova

Muguruza v Azarenka (likely R4)
winner vs. likely Kerber (QF)

Halep v Cornet (likely R2)
R3 v likely Keys
R4 v likely Venus Williams

Azarenka has to pretty happy. So does Aga, Bouchard in round 2 aside.

Djokovic v Nishikori
Simon for Djokovic in R4
Tsonga for Nishikori in R4

Federer v Berdych
Dimitrov in R3 for Federer
Goffin or Thiem in R4 for Federer
Kyrgios in R3 for Berdych

Wawrinka v Nadal
Raonic in R4 for Wawrinka
Anderson in R4 for Nadal

Murray v Ferrer or Isner
Tomic in R4 for Murray

Murray can't complain. Nadal and Wawrinka have to deal with big hitters Raonic and Anderson before getting to each other. Djokovic should glide to the QF vs. Nishikori and likely to Federer in the SF. Would really like to see a Murray/Wawrinka SF in the other half, but I suspect it doesn't happen.

Wow Sock beat Ferrer in Auckland. Sock played like garbage in Hopman cup last week but he has played a solid tournament in Auckland. He will play either Tsonga or Bautista-Agut in the finals.

Also during the match Ferrer hit a serve on game point that was called out, and Sock thought it was in so he walked to his seat and gave Ferrer the game.

sam777

Murray should walk it to the semi final.
Nadal and Fed both got tough draws more so Nadal but it is expected having been seeded 5th.

Ricker

Bouchard off to the finals at Hobart!

Yep,against Alize Cornet...if they both get frustrated,this could fun to watch lol...Genie did her racquet smashing last night at the end of the second set.Her first set was incredible,then she played like her worst moments of 2015 in the second...she pulled through in the end.

So Federer tore his meniscus and had surgery yesterday. Probably wanted to get it taken care of ASAp, as I believe recovery is at least 2-3 months..

Top Bottom