• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
While that's true, WhoeverTheyEventuallyDecideOnButItLooksLikeIt'llBeWard vs Bemelmans has a reasonable chance of going the UK's way too. We'll see how that pans out. Although hopefully we won't!

They should still play Edmund. He took two sets 6-2 6-1 off the world no.16, who is probably world no.10ish on clay, and only lost because he got super tight and then Goffin came back. Darcis' injury was definitely flaring up again in the doubles, so it'll be Bemelmans, I'm pretty confident, so even if Edmund gets tight, Bemelmans isn't going to be coming back, and Edmund is just a better player than Ward, *especially* on clay. I mean, it's what I'd do in the highly unlikely event Murray lost to Goffin.

I agree with Edmund over Ward. Got to put faith in him if it comes down to a decisive rubber on clay. 2-3 against Goffin is no embarrassment and he's had a great year on clay. In the long run he's hopefully going to be playing in high pressure matches often so he might as well get used to it against a relatively lesser player like Darcis or Bemelmans.

Andy (from the Belgians breaking Jamie's serve to lead 2-1 in the third) and Goffin (2nd onward) both played out of their mind today. Extremely high level contest before Darcis fell apart in the 4th. Doubles is so much better when you have the class of elite returners and the surface is slow enough that the serve doesn't overwhelm everyone. Wish Rio was on clay this year to see the best singles players play doubles on it.

Diamond

Get yo videos online GAF, we'll give each other tips! If someone like me who never had a lesson in his life can do it, we all can. Tennis being an elite sport is a big ass myth and it doesn't require any money at all, just a wall, a ball and something to hit it with.

I have a new quick video of wallpractice. I only had 5 mins of time cause of work so I just recorded quickly and did it in normal clothing. First 45 seconds is from start of hitting the first ball (warm up) and last few seconds are a few backhands I hit after 5 mins. Looking for critique on my swing for the most part (footwork isn't really possible on those rocky rocks and small place so I just do short steps), I also tend to lean back during my forehands, something I need to get out of my system already. I play with an i.Prestige MP (supposedly Safin used it but probably bull, it has a PT-something product code), pretty damn head light at 370g (I use a little lead in it), it's strung at 21kg/46 pounds for it's power (already a control racquet) way below it's 23kg recommendation, but all the pros do it like this anyway I think...

https://youtu.be/j7Wo1NFm4S4

My boy will have his Nikon ready the next time the weather allows for it (it's cold as shit over here) and I have more free time and we can hopefully do a whole match vid

Overall I like your style, clean form on your shots, classy one handed backhand. You seem to generate pace with little effort, that's great. It's a little hard to see from that angle but I agree you seem to take the ball sooner on your backhand side compared to your forehand, but it's warmup+bad angle so it's hard to tell precisely.

Diamond

I'm still worried about Murray vs Goffin.

I agree you should never say never in tennis, but really, even if Goffin was imprressive in the doubles, he doesn't have a lot of weapons that Murray can't counter. Murray can always slip in the bathroom tonight or get sick but if he's in form...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Overall I like your style, clean form on your shots, classy one handed backhand. You seem to generate pace with little effort, that's great. It's a little hard to see from that angle but I agree you seem to take the ball sooner on your backhand side compared to your forehand, but it's warmup+bad angle so it's hard to tell precisely.
Thanks, when I can play a set and have the good 60fps camera with me I'll take the angle comment in mind. Any preferable one you can think of?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Murray plays so much better when he's playing for his country and not himself. Some of the points in this match have been absolutely phenomenal, some unreal defense. Goffin is playing exceptionally well by his own standards, which is the only reason this is remotely close. Great match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Phenomenal match. 51 winners between them in a set and half. Both are playing incredibly well, what a match.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This match is going to have 100+ winners by the end at this rate.

EDIT: Well, the quality has dipped in this third set, so maybe not.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Random fact: if Murray wins this match, he will have the best claycourt W/L record for the 2015 season at 17-1. eclipsing Djokovic at 16-1.

Diamond

Congrats Great Britain and Murray. Very classy reaction at the end.

Thanks, when I can play a set and have the good 60fps camera with me I'll take the angle comment in mind. Any preferable one you can think of?

Classical : behind you and as high as possible I would say, but different angles can be interesting. Side view can be great to see if you hit the ball as soon as you could for instance.

Xun

Some absolutely fantastic tennis in that match.

I'm really happy we managed to win that.

Hopefully this inspires more to take up tennis.

I'm gonna be boring kids to death in 40 years time about this Andy Murray fella. Greatest Scottish sportsman ever (and surely the UK's greatest of this century so far, sorry Mo). Goffin gave it everything he had - he said afterward he had no regrets, and he shouldn't - but today Andy was not going to lose. The last point about summed it up - Goffin took a bunch of heavy hits, turned it around, got his opponent desperately on the run, only to see a ridiculous running forehand slice into running topspin backhand lob combo steal the point away. But the moment I'll remember most will be Leon Smith and the whole team mobbing him on the ground after he won, only for him to push everyone away and run over to the Belgians to shake their hands. I think their captain, Johan van Herck, appreciated that.

That second set was about as good a set as I've seen all year. Goffin is top 10 in the world on clay. Andy ends the year 11-0 in live rubbers, including three consecutive Doubles wins against France, Australia and Belgium with his brother. About as near to "soloing the Davis Cup" as we'll ever see.

Not forgetting James Ward's heroic upset win over John Isner in the first round of course, without which none of this could've happened.

Some absolutely fantastic tennis in that match.

I'm really happy we managed to win that.

Hopefully this inspires more to take up tennis.

My (fairly limited, mind you) experience is that the problem isn't finding children willing to give tennis a shot, but getting them into regular practice sessions and matches. Not enough effort made to overcome either the expense of club membership and equipment or the logistical hurdles involved in coaching, practice and junior leagues, especially during winter. I expect that if we do have more successful tennis players come through, they'll be the result much more of significant family investment than clubs or the LTA. Which shouldn't be the case in a country where tennis receives a (relatively) vast income each year.

My (fairly limited, mind you) experience is that the problem isn't finding children willing to give tennis a shot, but getting them into regular practice sessions and matches. Not enough effort made to overcome either the expense of club membership and equipment or the logistical hurdles involved in coaching, practice and junior leagues, especially during winter. I expect that if we do have more successful tennis players come through, they'll be the result much more of significant family investment than clubs or the LTA. Which shouldn't be the case in a country where tennis receives a (relatively) vast income each year.

GB needs more tennis academies in their country. So many of your top juniors leave to train in other countries. Katie Swan is going to be a star for Great Britain, but she's training in the USA right now.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Tennis is a rich person's sport in the UK compared to other countries, particularly Australia. The cost of membership is prohibitive and there are close to no outreach efforts. There's very little in the way of junior tournaments to allow for talent-spotting, and an outsize number of courts are still lawn courts despite how largely irrelevant they are to the modern game. If anything, I'd say clay is the most important surface for teaching good tennis because it teaches you how to construct a shot; it's no real susprise Murray spent most of his formative years on clay.

Top Bottom