• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Did you watch the match? I can't help but watch Tomic still. Missed this match though. He's got some great results against players just in or out of top 10 e.g. cilic, gasquet, ferrer. When you look at the top 5 players he's getting nutted. Glancing at his activity of this year and last he needs to shake off losing to players ranked 30-80 or so if he wants to go top 10 consistently.
HHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEES BBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCCKKKK

Yeah, just a lackadaisical and pathetic effort. Gues he just wanted an appearance fee.

Milchmann

Del Potro won comfortably. Forehand and serve are still great, but his backhand is worrisome. No power and he sliced nearly every time.
Kudla was horrible.

Ricker

WTA Dubai top seeds

(1) Halep❌
(2) Muguruza❌
(3) Suarez Navarro❌
(4) Kvitova❌
(5) Bencic❌
(6) Pliskova❌
(7) Vinci❌
(8) Kuznetsova❌

;)

LuuKyK

Genie's new haircut is weird, but I think it kinda suits her.

zdiIXbG.jpg

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Nothing wrong with Delpo. There's just nothing special in his game that makes me miss him when he's not there.

Let him into your heart brah

Delpo won again tonight, plays Chardy next. Looks like he got wildcards for Acapulco and Indian Wells.

Diamond

Dominic Thiem just won against Ferrer on clay, and very convincingly so. He defeated Nadal last week too (and won the tournament after that, which is kind of difficult if we look at the stats). Now he needs to bring this kind of form on M1000 and Slams and he'll be in the top 10 soon.

Niraj

Dominic Thiem just won against Ferrer on clay, and very convincingly so. He defeated Nadal last week too. Now he needs to bring this kind of form on M1000 and Slams and he'll be in the top 10 soon.

Wow 6-3 6-2. Impressive.

oti

Banned
Dominic Thiem just won against Ferrer on clay, and very convincingly so. He defeated Nadal last week too (and won the tournament after that, which is kind of difficult if we look at the stats). Now he needs to bring this kind of form on M1000 and Slams and he'll be in the top 10 soon.

It's quite astonishing how fast Thiem, Kyrgios and Zverev mature on the tour.

Nadal rolls in a couple of ~120kmph second serves and gets broken by Cuevas early in the 2nd set after scraping through the first. He has so little belief in his shots and seems to get nervous very easily now (a bad double fault at 6-5 in the first set TB like against Verdasco). He'll probably get through this but he's a shadow of his former self.

Nadal is done. Can't win the South American clay court tournaments where there are very little top players in them. He has no chance of winning any European clay court. Maybe Barcelona depending on who is playing there.

But tonight just summed up Nadal in the last 12 months. Choked on big points. Just hitting the ball back in play and hoping for the best. No real intent to his shots. His serve is awful.

Needs to get a new coach fast.

Niraj

It's understandable for DelPo. He had a valiant effort. I hope he can build confidence on that two hander. You can sense the tension in it.

Oh, definitely agree. I think he did pretty well all things considered. Taking out Chardy is pretty solid for his first tourney back. He should be happy with how things went. And yeah I hope he can work that out.

Diamond

I would've like to see Delpo against Dimitrov, another time I guess...

Nadal loss looks like a lot of his losses lately : he just looses the battles he used to win almost every time in his prime. He still has time before the clay season but it's not encouraging. Props to Cuevas for winning decisive points. Thiem lost too but I think he had good results overall these past two weeks. Could be a danger on clay this spring (and maybe before that).

And Kyrgios is playing great tennis in Marseilles right now. He destroyed Gasquet and Berdych without much effort. Enormous serve and good tactical play.

Qatar already off to a crazy start.
Australian Open Champ Kerber lost 2nd round to Zhang 7-5, 6-1
Bencic and Halep also lost 2nd round.

Is Halep's nose still bothering her?

Ryan Harrison hasn't played well since Acapulco last year when he made the semi finals.
He qualified in Acapulco this year and just upset Cilic in the first round. Maybe Ryan should just play all of his tournaments in Mexico

Ryan Harrison hasn't played well since Acapulco last year when he made the semi finals.
He qualified in Acapulco this year and just upset Cilic in the first round. Maybe Ryan should just play all of his tournaments in Mexico
Cilic had to fly halfway sound the world in one day, so I figured we would lose.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
For the few Del Potro lovers here : Top10 reasons why everybody loves him.
Delpo contemplating life after that challenge. Throwing on shoe outside the stadium and the other one in the crowd with the guy actually going after it ;p

I feel so bad for him for his injuries which makes me wonder even more, how did his wrist injury even happen? Does he rotate his left wrist that much during the backhands or was it something else?

Diamond

Delpo contemplating life after that challenge. Throwing on shoe outside the stadium and the other one in the crowd with the guy actually going after it ;p

I feel so bad for him for his injuries which makes me wonder even more, how did his wrist injury even happen? Does he rotate his left wrist that much during the backhands or was it something else?

Well maybe that's just something that happened because he plays a lot. We recreational players can suffer injuries by playing once or twice a week, imagine playing at a higher intensity pretty much every day. The body sometimes just calls for a time-out, and if it's the wrist, like Delpo, you can't really strengthen it with muscular work. Once the injury is there, it must be very difficult to get rid of it.

Wrists are pretty much the worst injury for tennis players - there's no way to play without aggravating it, so it often means surgery. The way Del Potro plays using extreme grips and absolutely belting the ball probably means his wrists get put under more stress than most, too.

Milchmann

I read this article (in German) about wrist injuries a few days ago. According to the article all professional players with wrist injuries in recent years had a two-handed backhand and 75% of wrist injuries were to the less dominant hand. The dominant hand is used for all shots so its wrist can adapt and strengthen, but the less dominant hand is only used for one shot resulting in unilateral stress for the wrist. More extreme grips and more topspin increase the problem.

oti

Banned
I read this article (in German) about wrist injuries a few days ago. According to the article all professional players with wrist injuries in recent years had a two-handed backhand and 75% of wrist injuries were to the less dominant hand. The dominant hand is used for all shots so its wrist can adapt and strengthen, but the less dominant hand is only used for one shot resulting in unilateral stress for the wrist. More extreme grips and more topspin increase the problem.

Solution: Graf backhand

Saty

“It's an eye problem,” Djokovic said. “I have had it ever since I arrived in Dubai. It started with an infection and then severe allergy.

“It's gotten worse in the last two days, unfortunately. It's the first time that I have had such a problem with the eye. It was ultra-sensitive today.”

One of the best matches I've ever seen, no exaggeration. Over 100 net points and so many magnificent passes and stop volleys. Shame Vinci had to walk away beaten.

Top Bottom