• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Lots of discussion elsewhere that Nadal may be under a silent ban from the ATP for doping, however it is just a rumour so I wouldn't put much in to it.

is that rumour based on random posts on forums (menstennisforum lol) or is there at least some credible source to it? (i wrote "nadal banned" on google's news search and all i get is blue clay being banned).

lol at people saying his career is over, same shit as in 2009.....give him some time he'll be back winning slams. he is a 10 time slam winner cut him some slack

he basically only missed wimbledon in 2009, now he missed the olympics, toronto, cincy and will miss uso and maybe the rest of the season. not even close to the same.

is that rumour based on random posts on forums (menstennisforum lol) or is there at least some credible source to it? (i wrote "nadal banned" on google's news search and all i get is blue clay being banned).

just random posts i guess, it's strange that a guy that dominated the clay season and showed no signs of an injury at his last game and now suddenly is out for 3 months. seems fishy to say the least. i'm not accusing him of any doping stuff i suspect it's more psychological or maybe he is just tired of tennis.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
It's official: NADAL HAS WITHDRAWN FROM THE U.S. OPEN
Damn, that's awful. That doping ban rumor is crazy as well :lol I don't think they keep that stuff silent unless someone has examples from before

Soo... a new Roger vs Andy final?

he basically only missed wimbledon in 2009, now he missed the olympics, toronto, cincy and will miss uso and maybe the rest of the season. not even close to the same.

just random posts i guess, it's strange that a guy that dominated the clay season and showed no signs of an injury at his last game and now suddenly is out for 3 months. seems fishy to say the least. i'm not accusing him of any doping stuff i suspect it's more psychological or maybe he is just tired of tennis.

He is just really depressed/fibromyaliga. Hopefully this ends the discussion of Nadal being a great fighter.

Lots of discussion elsewhere that Nadal may be under a silent ban from the ATP for doping, however it is just a rumour so I wouldn't put much in to it.

I don't believe he is banned, but he may have recently been on something to keep himself going if he is legitimately hurt. Nadal being legitimately being injured is a bigger IF than doping though.

And I think I'm in love with Bouchard.

jett

D-Member
Rafa=Rafa=FedkillaKilla

Ah poor Rafa, I guess this time the naysayers will get their wish. Missing Wimbledon...and the US Open? How long until Murray becomes #3?

clemenx

Banned
Also before we start discussing that rafa's career is over, can we please remember hes 26?

I certainly don't think his career is over, but that age isn't unheard of to start a tennis decline, especially given how he plays. And a chronic tendinitis that will never go away and I imagine will bother him more every year that passes. I mean he already hasn't won outside of clay since 2010, signs are there. Also, he's been playing at the top and a full schedule since he was 18. Fed, Nole and the others sucked and were losing on First Round basically everything when they were 18, gotta take that into account too.

Federer is an anomaly in basically everything so don't take him as example.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
I certainly don't think his career is over, but that age isn't unheard of to start a tennis decline, especially given how he plays. And a chronic tendinitis that will never go away and I imagine will bother him more every year that passes. I mean he already hasn't won outside of clay since 2010, signs are there. Also, he's been playing at the top and a full schedule since he was 18. Fed, Nole and the others sucked and were losing on First Round basically everything when they were 18, gotta take that into account too.

Federer is an anomaly in basically everything so don't take him as example.

Djokovic has actually lost only twice in the 1st round of a Grand Slam, both in Australian Open. He's also the youngest player to reach the semi-final in all Grand Slams.

MIMIC

Banned
Cincinnati R3: Chardy def. Murray 6-4, 6-4. This is Chardy's first career win over the Scot

Also, I call the U.S. Open thread

Saty

If it weren't for reaching the Wimbledon final and winning Gold, this would have been Murray's worst year so far in quite a while. If you're strict i guess you can say that still.

MIMIC

Banned
Chardy was a LUCKY LOSER? Holy fuck.....

When Murray loses, he doesn't mess around, does he?

But Murray's attitude makes made me hate him even more. He fucking complained after he got aced. Does he think he's supposed to never get aced? He's such a miserable twat.

Jay Sosa

Remember that time Rafa=Fedkilla made the thread. The op was like "welp, here it is. discuss" lol

Oh yes I do, never forget.

Actually I'm ok with mimic as long as he keeps it free form his unhealthy glorification of some serbian tennis player. Hint: It's not Tipsarevic, no not Troicki either.

Chardy was a LUCKY LOSER? Holy fuck.....

When Murray loses, he doesn't mess around, does he?

I doubt he put much effort in. Murray just being Murray..

Still, sucks for the fans who bought tickets for that.

I would be glad if every Borekovic match was over in 29 minutes.

getting myself ready to equal out mimic when the open start :p

Hootie

The way Fed is playing, I used to masturbate to this back in 2007.

i7N6pc3WWBvAk.gif

MIMIC

Banned
So Nadal is said to have something called Hoffa's Syndrome. I'd post a link but I'm about to step out (will edit it in later).

IIRC, he said that he'll have to tailor is schedule significantly because of it. If and when he does, then I probably won't question his injuries anymore.....because if it's true, it really is serious.

Piggus

Man, this thread reminds me that I should have continued tennis in high school. I was at varsity skill level before I reached HS. In college now, but I think I'll start playing again.

FroJay

Banned
The way Fed is playing, I used to masturbate to this back in 2007. Clear number 1 in the world.

Fast courts make Fed look like the old Fed, as for your masturbation problem.....no comment. There are just so few tournaments that actually play fast these days that people forget what old Fed was like. If the US Open is as fast or faster than Cincy this year Fed has a great chance to win. My damn girlfriend couldn't figure out how to get off of work today otherwise I was going to get box seats to Cincy for the evening session (Fed/Fish) and the Saturday mens semis at 1pm. I should be in Cincy right now sitting about 12 rows up from the court! Damnit!

Man, this thread reminds me that I should have continued tennis in high school. I was at varsity skill level before I reached HS. In college now, but I think I'll start playing again.

Play club tennis dude, I know UO has a club team. It's co-ed, you get to travel, and it's a lot of fun. They play "USTA tennis on campus" team tennis if you want to look into it. I played 3 years at UT, and had a hell of a time.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So Nadal is said to have something called Hoffa's Syndrome. I'd post a link but I'm about to step out (will edit it in later).

IIRC, he said that he'll have to tailor is schedule significantly because of it. If and when he does, then I probably won't question his injuries anymore.....because if it's true, it really is serious.
I was reading an article on another tennis forum just now (but for some reason can't find it anymore) and it said he had a serious foot injury when he was young and since then he's been playing with special shoes so the pressure doesn't go there, but in return it would fuck the knees up. I thought that was pretty serious and if true, damn, ticking time bomb from the start

edit, jeez why didn't I go to my browsing history earlier

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...est-fear-arrives/story-e6frg7mf-1226452902007

He was 19 when a foot injury gave him hell.

He pulled up a pew in his doctor's office and awaited the diagnosis. He was told his career was finished.

A second round of medical advice was sought. Nadal was informed a comeback was possible if he wore drastically modified shoes with special orthotics to divert pressure away from the bone in his foot.

The cost would be significant: his knees and/or hips and/or back would eventually buckle under the additional shock-absorbing stresses.

I know about Hoffa's syndrome, named after Jimmy, it's a term used by doctors when they can't where the problem is.

Saty

According to Nadal it's a different injury and he might miss the Davis Cup match (I thought he retired from Davis last year?)
MANACOR, Spain (Reuters) - Rafa Nadal said he must fully recover from a nagging knee problem known as Hoffa's syndrome before returning to competition and was a doubt for next month's Davis Cup semi-final against the United States.

Spain's world number three has not played since suffering a shock second-round Wimbledon defeat by lowly ranked Czech Lukas Rosol in June. He missed the Olympic Games and on Wednesday he withdrew from the U.S. Open.

"The important thing is to recover well and come back when my knee is a hundred percent perfect," Nadal told Reuters television in an interview in his hometown of Manacor in Mallorca.

"We'll see if I will be ready for Gijon, for the Davis Cup. My goal, my dream is to be there if the captain has confidence in me, but it always depends on the captain and the knee."

Due to his aggressive style of play, Nadal has suffered a string of physical problems during his career, including a foot injury in 2005 and more recently with his knees.

He pulled out of the 2008 Tennis Masters Cup with tendinitis, and a year later the same complaint led to him missing the chance to defend his title at Wimbledon.

A knee injury forced him to withdraw from the Australian Open in 2010 and in March of this year he had to pull out of a semi-final clash with Andy Murray at the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami due to a knee problem.

DIFFERENT INJURY

"The injury is not the same (as before)," he said.

"It is an injury that started around February before Indian Wells. I played these months with some problems, like in Miami, but normally I had the control of the pain, of the injury.

"But after (winning the French Open at) Roland Garros the injury got worse and it was impossible to continue competing and, of course, the important thing today is to recover as fast as possible after not arriving in perfect condition at Wimbledon."

Spanish tennis federation (RFET) doctor Angel Ruiz Cotorro said Nadal was suffering from a problem known as Hoffa's syndrome which is a swelling round the tendon just below the kneecap in his left leg.

"It is uncomfortable and painful, but it is not serious," Cotorro was quoted as saying on the Marca website.

"He is recovering well. Next week they will do tests and if the result is positive we will continue with the same treatment."

Nadal added: "I am practising hard on the recovery with the physio in the gym, to not lose my fitness, I am a few days outside of the tennis court to try and recover faster."
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/nad...IEcHN0YWlkAwRwc3RjYXQDBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

The Davis cup match is in mid-September.

MIMIC

Banned
I will never understand Nadal and Djokovic's obsession with Davis Cup. 0_o

Also, Fed and Novak play the Cincinnati final tomorrow (4pm EDT on ESPN2). Any outcome shouldn't be that surprising; either guy could win in 2 or 3.

With that said....go, Novak!

MIMIC

Banned
federer's serve against wawrinka was disgusting. if he serves like that today, djokovic will win it in straights.

Federer could have retired and Wawrinka still would have found a way to lose. Fed knew that as long as he didn't DF on a break point (the only way for Stan to break) that he would win easily.

clemenx

Banned
So they both had reached the final without being broken. Nole goes and hits a Double Fault on break point in the 1st game.

Another DF on break point WTF. He also had a 2nd serve go out by a mile earlier in the game o_O

Top Bottom