• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Holy crap! Wimbledon part deux for real!!! Very excited for the final, I wouldn't count Murray out unless he loses the first set (although if he can get his head together he might still recover from it)

Well I don't think that's a good thing. Five sets feels like an artificial extension, you never get a five setter where players are fully focused all the way through, there are too many five setters with top players dozing off and then reeling of bagels and breadsticks in the last few sets. It's fine for a Slam final where you don't want a stumble in a set making the big difference, but as you say the extra two sets are a crutch against upsets. Of course Fed prefers them, it's why we see fewer upsets on the men's side, but that comfort does not make for more exciting tennis.
For the crowd and everyone other than the top, yeah, definitely! I do enjoy 3 setters more every now and then. If you look at it from the sport and competition view, basically it's something you have to adapt to, and the guys that can do this are the best at it and on top this way

Djokovic played poorly at the crucial points. Federer-Murray it is. Can Murray stand another finale defeat? :p

I think the Murray that played today would wipe the floor with the Federer that played today, but we'll see if Murray can keep that level and if Fed can step it up. Final will be exciting.

clemenx

Banned
Masha - Serena h2h is 2-8 with both of Sharapova's victories in 2004 as a 17 year old. Utter Serena domination after that.

Time to change that.

And I don't have a prediction for the Men final. I'm just too happy about the repeat.

Rain_on_me

Neo Member
Anybody in Canada watching the match? This commentator Jim Van Horny is fucking terrible in every way. He can't even pronounce Del Potro's name right: Del Patro Del Patro Del Patro. WTF

Yo, Canada is afraid, and too cheap of hiring a real tennis commentator, so they hire some random fuck, which is why I have to get to up early to stream the match live and watch it in some language I don't understand (Italian) but its still better than watching TSN.
Have you ever watched the Rogers Cup final when he does the commentary? Its brutal.

I didn't realize points were given out in the Olympics, I thought that was only for tournaments..my bad :p

Djokovic needs to start believing in himself again; I'm sorry but Murray is not of the same calibre, however these days it seems like when Djokovic needs to make that push and is unable to (at break point) he just gives up.

I just hope he (Djokovic) is able to find his mental strength and focus before the US Open.

zero_suit

Masha - Serena h2h is 2-8 with both of Sharapova's victories in 2004 as a 17 year old. Utter Serena domination after that.

Time to change that.

And I don't have a prediction for the Men final. I'm just too happy about the repeat.

Sharapova better hope Serena serves very poorly. Otherwise, we'll get a repeat of what happened today.

szaromir

Banned

Time to change that.
Agreed, it's high time to make it 2-9.

I was cheering for Fed in the Wimbledon final, but now I want Murray to finally win something besides Asian tournaments. Fed is already heralded as the greatest, he won't be harmed by not winning an Olympic gold.

Wes

venison crêpe
Felt so so lucky to have seen those two men's singles matches. The first one was epic just for sheer doggedness and the second just for the fervour amongst the fans.

I'll go through my photos in the morning, I'm absolutely knackered.

Oh and there's a reason why babes in arms aren't allowed in to show courts people! It was absurd the amount of noise the players had to put up with. Plus the Serbian who shouted out whilst Murray was serving towards the end of the match was sitting on my row. He soon shut up when everyone around him booed and hissed (and when a guy in a suit came and spoke to him 5 mintues later - can't believe he had an Olympic pass! - the nerve!)

Well I don't think that's a good thing. Five sets feels like an artificial extension, you never get a five setter where players are fully focused all the way through, there are too many five setters with top players dozing off and then reeling of bagels and breadsticks in the last few sets. It's fine for a Slam final where you don't want a stumble in a set making the big difference, but as you say the extra two sets are a crutch against upsets. Of course Fed prefers them, it's why we see fewer upsets on the men's side, but that comfort does not make for more exciting tennis.

I don't think that has anything to do with why there is more upsets in womens tennis and i much prefer 5 set matches so no thanks.

MIMIC

Banned
Serena is going to destroy Sharapova.

Also, if Murray doesn't win, he might as well retire. If you can't win with the entire country behind you; cheering for every error your opponent makes; against an opponent that you had a positive H2H against, then well....I don't know what to tell you.

Also, when Djokovic arrives in the U.S., I'm going to slap him.

MIMIC

Banned
Oh shit, I forgot that the final is best of 5.

He's so gonna lose....which is unfortunate. He's the lesser of two evils by the slimmest imaginable margin :)

IISANDERII

Yo, Canada is afraid, and too cheap of hiring a real tennis commentator, so they hire some random fuck, which is why I have to get to up early to stream the match live and watch it in some language I don't understand (Italian) but its still better than watching TSN.
Have you ever watched the Rogers Cup final when he does the commentary? Its brutal.
The Rogers Cup is a million times worse because the analyst dude, the one who is supposed to know his stuff, is Peter Burwash I think. He is fucking garbage I'm sorry to say. He gets his knowledge directly from his arse. I remember once he stated that Federer was amazing considering his height of 5'8" or 5'9" and there are a steady stream of facepalms any time he's sitting in the booth.

The Rogers Cup is a million times worse because the analyst dude, the one who is supposed to know his stuff, is Peter Burwash I think. He is fucking garbage I'm sorry to say. He gets his knowledge directly from his arse. I remember once he stated that Federer was amazing considering his height of 5'8" or 5'9" and there are a steady stream of facepalms any time he's sitting in the booth.

Lol he consufed Ferrer with Federer. Rookie mistake.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Murray finally hitting his forehand. He does have the tendency to go back to playing defense/passive. Lendl's influence might finally be coming through.

So speaking of the Rogers Cup, Federer's pulled out of that now.

Edit: And I bet a contributing factor was that even if he gets silver and Djokovic gets bronze + wins Rogers again, Fed will still be ranked 1 for now.

IISANDERII

Lol he consufed Ferrer with Federer. Rookie mistake.
That would be hilarious because he said it during a Federer match. I wouldn't be surprised if he does have a long term confusion between Federer and Ferrer, but the man on court that day was 6'1".

David-Ferrer-defeats-Jurgen-Melzer-makes-it-to-the-2011-Monte-Carlo-Masters-final-62987.jpg

17 time Grand Slam singles champion

rapid32.5

embarrassing score nobody should even play in WTA after this match except Williams sisters. At least they can make a match between each other.

Oxx

Felt so so lucky to have seen those two men's singles matches. The first one was epic just for sheer doggedness and the second just for the fervour amongst the fans.

I'll go through my photos in the morning, I'm absolutely knackered.

Oh and there's a reason why babes in arms aren't allowed in to show courts people! It was absurd the amount of noise the players had to put up with. Plus the Serbian who shouted out whilst Murray was serving towards the end of the match was sitting on my row. He soon shut up when everyone around him booed and hissed (and when a guy in a suit came and spoke to him 5 mintues later - can't believe he had an Olympic pass! - the nerve!)

Must have been an awesome day.

I was at Centre Court for the Quarters and had a great time, but it looks like they saved all the drama for the Semi-finals.

Babalu.

wow! just heard about the murray federer rematch. That is sooo awesome. I can't wait. Does anyone know what time its happening. I set my dvr to record but its going to record 12 hours...

I have a bad feeling for fed since the whole country is against him but this will be awesome if he can do it. I want murray to win, just not against the fed.

and wtf is up with djokavic the past few tourneys.

and fuck serena. <3 sharapova.

WTA is such a joke. If Serena isn't healthy, then it's a revolving door of winners and Slam-less number 1's.

I'm not a fan of Serena's attitude, but she's an incredible player even at 30.

Trokil

Banned
anyone know what time(eastern) the Murray/Fed match is on Sunday?

I think it's after the doubles final

The singles final will be very interesting. Personally I think Murray playing the two mixed matches on Saturday was a mistake. Not for physical reasons, more about the possibility to calm down, to analyze and to prepare for the next opponent. Federer was able to do that and it may be an advantage. Yes, he was playing a very intensive match, but he won and because Switzerland has now a Gold medal already there's not that much pressure anymore.

I could be wrong of course.

I have a friend who's going to the Murray Federer final tomorrow. He bought the tickets a couple weeks ago for a couple hundred pounds. He could sell it for 10x that amount but he's not going to. He wants to see Murray

clemenx

Banned
WTA is such a joke. If Serena isn't healthy, then it's a revolving door of winners and Slam-less number 1's.

I'm not a fan of Serena's attitude, but she's an incredible player even at 30.

All 3 medalists are this years slam winners. Joke indeed.

It is possible to admire Serena without thrashing the WTA.

The person I'm rooting for the most tomorrow is Laura Robson, she's so cool.

LuuKyK

I hope Serena retires soon (hate her), so Masha can shine again. It's not like she stopped shining (advert., beauty, etc) and playing well, but sadly Serena is always there to take away her titles and is always playing so good. Ugh.

szaromir

Banned
The person I'm rooting for the most tomorrow is Laura Robson, she's so cool.
http://i55.************/34hdvkk.gif <-tiny pic instead of stars :)

I'm rooting for Murray in both matches. And Laura is a good player once she doesn't need to worry about covering the court so much in doubles.
I hope Serena retires soon (hate her), so Masha can shine again. It's not like she stopped shining (advert., beauty, etc) and playing well, but sadly Serena is always there to take away her titles and is always playing so good. Ugh.

That's just sad. So bitter.

Wes

venison crêpe
What's the format for the mixed doubles final?

Two sets. Win both to win. If a set is won each then a Champions Tiebreak takes place - first to 10 (by two clear points as per usual).

It should be mentioned that the Men's Final tomorrow will be best of 5 sets, not 3, as it has been in the rest of the competition thusfar.

Top Bottom