• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Loofy

So Im looking up how simona halep fared... omg she got a breast reduc!!
IKIsm.jpg

clemenx

Banned
Not as good as a match as 1st set friday. They both look sluggish. Del Potro really took it to another level in that semi.

Can't watch the bronze medal match, unfortunately :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Damn, was so sure Roger would get his gold :( Dude must feel devastated, chances of still getting it are as small as ever now

Congrats to Murray tho, great match from beginning to end

Damn, was so sure Roger would get his gold :( Dude must feel devastated, chances of still getting it are as small as ever now

Congrats to Murray tho, great match from beginning to end

Nah I think Roger is pretty chill right now. Reclaimed his title as the baddest motherfucker on the planet when most others doubted him. Thwarted the dawn of the Delpo era AGAIN. Which is pretty much like preventing the sun to rise. He knows Nadal is suffering from fibromyalgia. Life is good.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Nah I think Roger is pretty chill right now. Reclaimed his title as the baddest motherfucker on the planet when most others doubted him. Thwarted the dawn of the Delpo era AGAIN. Which is pretty much like preventing the sun to rise. He knows Nadal is suffering from fibromyalgia. Life is good.
I dunno man, it's the only missing thing isn't it? No doubt what he did was amazing, but this little extra would cement him for life

Let's be real, a mixed doubles gold medal is at the same value as a snowmobile gold in the Winter X games.

A mens basketball gold medal has the same value as a womens clay shooting gold. There are 302 gold medals to go around, so it doesn't matter if the event is team, individual, tournament, or sprint.....it's just 1 gold medal.

szaromir

Banned
I watched Haas-Simon match, really nice display from Haas. The guy is back in top 25 at the age of 34, with almost nothing to defend till the end of the year, so he can still reach top 20 or even 15.

Deadman

Nadal pulls out of another tournament

Hi all, another message to announce something that definitely doesn't make me happy, but unfortunately I won't be competing at the tournament in Cincinnati next week. I am still not ready to play. I have many fans in Cincy and unforgettable moments such as 2008. I am continuing with my recup and practice. Thanks!

Speaking of pulling out, Andy Murray just pulled out of Toronto. He won his second round match, but withdrew shortly after. I guess he decided to go back to GB for the closing ceremony?

MIMIC

Banned
Djokovic wins 12th Masters title in Canada (Rogers Cup). Moves past Sampras to become 4th on the all-time list.

1. Nadal: 21 - Indian Wells (2), Monte Carlo (8), Hamburg (1), Madrid *clay* (1), Rome (6), Canada (2), & Madrid *hard* (1)
2. Federer: 20 - Indian Wells (4), Miami (2), Hamburg (4), Madrid *clay* (2), Canada (2), Cincinnati (4), Madrid *hard* (1), & Paris (1)
3. Agassi: 17 - Indian Wells (1), Miami (6), Rome (1), Canada (3), Cincinnati (3), Madrid (1), Paris (2)
4. Djokovic: 12 - Indian Wells (2), Miami (3), Rome (2), Madrid *clay* (1), Canada (3), Paris (1)

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Djokovic wins 12th Masters title in Canada (Rogers Cup). Moves past Sampras to become 4th on the all-time list.

(tie) 1. Federer: 20 - Indian Wells (4), Miami (2), Hamburg (4), Madrid *clay* (2), Canada (2), Cincinnati (4), Madrid *hard* (1), & Paris (1)
(tie) 1. Nadal: 20: - Indian Wells (2), Monte Carlo (8), Hamburg (1), Madrid *clay* (1), Rome (6), Canada (2), & Madrid *hard* (1)
3. Agassi: 17 - Indian Wells (1), Miami (6), Rome (1), Canada (3), Cincinnati (3), Madrid (1), Paris (2)
4. Djokovic: 12 - Indian Wells (2), Miami (3), Rome (2), Madrid *clay* (1), Canada (3), Paris (1)

Nadal has 21.

MIMIC

Banned
Whoopsies! Corrected.

Also, watching the Cincinnati tournament and the commentators are talking about Nadal being somewhat doubtful for the U.S. Open. And one of the commentators just said exactly what I was thinking: NADAL IS NOT INJURED. This is a pride thing.

Whenever Nadal gets upset in a major, look for him to skip the next couple of tournaments....and perhaps even the next major. This is becoming a pattern of his. Nadal RAN THROUGH the French Open draw and suddenly he's too battered to show up for the Olympics, Toronto, Cincy, and perhaps the U.S. Open? I don't buy it.

EDIT: Found some links:

Nadal is questionable for the U.S. Open
Rafael Nadal tells the Spanish TV station Laverdad that he is questionable for the U.S. Open, which begins on August 27. Nadal has not played a tournament since Wimbledon due to tendonitis in his knees. "I don't know if I’ll be ready in time for the U.S. Open," he said. "I can't say yes or no. [The injury] is not the same as other years, and I have found it a little different."
Tennis.com

Nadal's injury worries Federer
Roger Federer has expressed surprise that long-time rival Rafael Nadal has not played tennis in nearly two months, with the Swiss world No.1 concerned about the state of the Spaniard as the Cincinnati Masters begins.

"I was going to write him and check on him because I can't believe he's been out that long," Federer said of the former No.1, who last played in a huge Wimbledon second-round loss to Czech Lukas Rosol on June 28.

Since then, the third-ranked king of clay has gone to ground as he tries to heal chronic tendinitis in his knees, which threaten to rule out his entire summer hard-court campaign including the US Open.

Nadal withdrew from the London Olympics with regret and then pulled out of both of this month's Masters 1000 tune-ups for the US Open starting on August 27 by missing the Toronto and Cincinnati events.

"I thought the Olympics, okay, that's fine. That's a personal choice," said Federer, who won his seventh Wimbledon title last month to take back the top ranking and then finished with the Olympic silver medal at the All England Club.

"I thought for sure we would see him in Toronto, but now he missed Toronto and Cincinnati. It's very surprising, because it was nothing that we heard of prior to the injury. He played so well on clay, and then actually seemed fine at Wimbledon. He had more (recovery) time by losing earlier at Wimbledon."

Federer called it a "big surprise, these two pullouts. I'm sad for him. I hope he'll be back for the Open."
WWOS

Fed brings up a great point. Losing early at Wimbledon actually gave Nadal more recovery time than anyone. But apparently, these early losses do more harm to Nadal MENTALLY than any loss could do to him physically.

Dolan Young just lost his 17th match in a row today.

He's going against challenger level players too.

It's hilarious how he practices, his fat ass mom just taps balls to him like he is a 12 year old. Absolutely pathetic. Whos sponsors him now? Russel Athletic?

MIMIC, thanks for backing me up for what I've been saying for years.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DY is crazy. What's the record losing pro streak? I bet he's not far off.

Whoopsies! Corrected.

Also, watching the Cincinnati tournament and the commentators are talking about Nadal being somewhat doubtful for the U.S. Open. And one of the commentators just said exactly what I was thinking: NADAL IS NOT INJURED. This is a pride thing.

Whenever Nadal gets upset in a major, look for him to skip the next couple of tournaments....and perhaps even the next major. This is becoming a pattern of his. Nadal RAN THROUGH the French Open draw and suddenly he's too battered to show up for the Olympics, Toronto, Cincy, and perhaps the U.S. Open? I don't buy it.
How can it be a pride thing tho? Pride people would get right back into it. If anything, it's a mental dysfunction or some other child-like behavior. Definitely not pride

MIMIC

Banned
DY is crazy. What's the record losing pro streak? I bet he's not far off.

21 by Vince Spadea (sp?), I think

How can it be a pride thing tho? Pride people would get right back into it. If anything, it's a mental dysfunction or some other child-like behavior. Definitely not pride

Yeah...maybe I used the wrong wording.

Bigfoot

Dolan's ranking jumped from 84 to 80 last week. If that doesn't imply there are problems with the ATP ranking system, I don't know what does.
Dolan? For some reason I thought it was Donald... guess I never looked closely at this name :)

Edit: Nevermind, it is Donald... chaos spelt it wrong.

Also, ATP ranking system is fine. Number 80 to 84 could have had more points they failed to defend from last year than Young.

Deadman

This is what he posted

I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play and have to withdraw from this year's US Open in NYC. I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions. I want to say hi and thanks to all the fans in particular to the new yorkers. I'll miss you all this year at the Open!

Is this the end of nadal?

fuck this might just end the career of the guy. sure he will come back but he will maybe ranked in the 100s when he does, how crazy would that be if he draws djokovic/federer in the first round of a GS. it's not the WTA where you can give birth and win the first GS back on the tour.

MIMIC

Banned
fuck this might just end the career of the guy. sure he will come back but he will maybe ranked in the 100s when he does, how crazy would that be if he draws djokovic/federer in the first round of a GS. it's not the WTA where you can give birth and win the first GS back on the tour.

Unless Nadal is out for more than 6 months, he can use his protected ranking (the average of his ranking during his first 3 months of injury) to enter the main draws.

If he's out longer than that, then yeah....he could play a top player in the first couple of rounds.

Also, people are speculating that Nadal might be out for the rest of the year. I wouldn't doubt it.

If he's out longer than that, then yeah....he could play a top player in the first couple of rounds.

Also, people are speculating that Nadal might be out for the rest of the year. I wouldn't doubt it.

eh come to think of it he has 90% of his points already locked up from the clay season and if he isn't back until then, his career is over anyway.

It doesn't really surprise me considering how Nadal plays, but it's still disappointing to hear.

That would move Murray up to 3 and Ferrer up to 4. I guess that's good for Federer.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
It doesn't really surprise me considering how Nadal plays, but it's still disappointing to hear.

That would move Murray up to 3 and Ferrer up to 4. I guess that's good for Federer.

probably, since the draws are always rigged for the GOAT, but 3 and 4 are supposedly random, so he could get Murray and Djokovic gets Ferrer.

Bigfoot

Lots of discussion elsewhere that Nadal may be under a silent ban from the ATP for doping, however it is just a rumour so I wouldn't put much in to it.

bowery

lol at people saying his career is over, same shit as in 2009.....give him some time he'll be back winning slams. he is a 10 time slam winner cut him some slack

Top Bottom