• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

rando14

Oh yeah, knowing friends who string is a great advantage. I've been looking into getting my own machine, but would have to invest at least 500 for it. I could probably make it back in a few months stringing for others, but eh I'm lazy :p

I bought a manual stringing machine for like $40 or something. Works great, paid for itself with just a few uses.

Apparently Federer is playing in the Netherlands this week, Davis Cup. Can anyone explain how that goes, because news articles are saying he's playing on friday, but tickets are sold out. There's still tickets for saturday and sunday, but is he going to be playing on those days?

Saty

(Reuters) - Rafa Nadal is scheduled to play in an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi in December, organisers said in a statement on Tuesday.

The world number four has not played since losing to Czech Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon in June and has been suffering from a partial tear of the patella tendon and inflammation of the left knee.

The 11-times grand slam winner was unable to defend his Olympic title in London and had to withdraw from the U.S. Open.

The Spaniard is set to join a high-profile field including Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray for the three-day Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi which gets underway on December 27.
Hmm..wonder if it means anything that he's returning on an exhibition tournament. Is it going to affect if he goes on to play the AO?

szaromir

Banned
The funny thing is that Nadal is still going to finish the year #4 despite missing 4 months of the season.
Hmm..wonder if it means anything that he's returning on an exhibition tournament. Is it going to affect if he goes on to play the AO?
He wants to have some match play before the season begins... Almost all players play some exhibitions in the offseason.

Saty

BEIJING (Reuters) - Shanghai Masters organisers have increased security for the tournament starting on Saturday after an online threat to decapitate world number one Roger Federer, the Shanghai Youth Daily newspaper reported on Friday.

"On October 6 I plan to assassinate Federer in order to exterminate tennis," read a post by "Blue Cat Polytheistic Leader 07" on a Federer fan website on September 25, the newspaper's website said.

The paper said the post was accompanied by a "very scary" computer modified image showing a decapitated Federer.

Federer may go directly from the airport's VIP arrival hall to his hotel as part of the precautions, Yang Yibin, the tournament director, told the paper in an interview earlier in the week. It said Shanghai police were investigating.

Local journalists said Shanghai municipal authorities had told local media not to report the issue.
http://eurosport.yahoo.com/news/security-increased-shanghai-federer-death-threat-133823364--ten.html

clemenx

Banned
Nadal very likely out for the season. i expected that as there is no real reason for him to return right now.

Coupled with the dumb shit he said about hard courts. It's pretty obvious he will keep hoarding titles on clay and increasingly ignore the 2nd half of the season in the upcoming years. Lame.

Peru

Just great to see Nishikori take a title on his home court! First Japanese winner in the 40 year history of the event. Raonic was rubbished in the third.

Memles

Just great to see Nishikori take a title on his home court! First Japanese winner in the 40 year history of the event. Raonic was rubbished in the third.

That and Nishikori entered Boss Mode; I saw someone compare it to Rosol, and that jumping backhand in the sixth game was certainly reminiscent of that kind of performance.

A strong win for Nishikori, and a good sign for his mental toughness: both players showed great fortitude in semi-final wins over favored opponents. Nishikori may have won the title, but both of these "Expected Future Champions" should take something positive out of this experience.

Although Milos might have trouble getting that bagel out of his head. Ouch.

szaromir

Banned
I didn't see any of the matches in Tokyo due to massive time zone difference (I caught Nadal vs Murray last year though), I didn't like that Murray lost to Raonic but am happy Nishikori won. I hate servebots, even if Raonic is a bit more exciting to watch than the likes of Isner or Karlovic.

Tsonga is playing more defensive than usual and is doing very well. Go Jo-Wilfred, get the title!

clemenx

Banned
No one was showing ATP Tokyo around here :/ Inexplicably Beijing and WTA Tokyo. lolol.

But good for Kei! I wish he could have a consistent year.

szaromir

Banned
The guy who made the threat set he had no intentions of doing that and he apologized Fed and his family. At least he had some decency, but after the incident with Seles you can never be too cautious when it comes to player security.

Wawrinka won the first set against Fed. Fed needs this win to ensure his week #300 at #1. If Djoker does better than Fed in Shanghai he most likely is guaranteed to be YE #1...

Lovely shot, first time I've watched since that disgusting Murray won the open. Still can't get that bad taste out of month. Maybe just gotta brush my teeth.

Smellycat

Federer just defeated his countryman Wawrinka, and with this win he ties Agassi for 870 wins (5th all time), and he will be the number 1 player for 300 total weeks!!! Amazing

szaromir

Banned
Murray's rant to himself "I'm sick and I'm tired, I'm playing so bad, I'm shanking every ball" at 1*-1 15-15 in the third. The guy can really fire himself up.

Top Bottom